main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jar Jar Binks fault for the fall of the Republic and order 66?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Sep 4, 2014.

?

Do you think it was jar jar binks fault?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  3. Not really

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Well must of us hates jar jar Binks the second we saw him in TPM he's goofy and an idiot but in AOTC he done something that would make us hate him even more, he gave emergency powers to palpantine which caused many jedi to be killed and the galactic Republic transformed to the galatic empire also the destruction of alderaan. That idiot (jar jar binks) caused all these terrible things to happen.

What do you guys think if it wasnt for jar jar binks would palpantine reached his goals????

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Bail or his friends would have made the speech if Jar Jar hadn't.

The point was that he thought the Senate wouldn't listen to him (since he'd "used up all his political capital already"), but would listen to Jar Jar (because he was Padme's proxy and Padme had always been against those powers - having "Padme's proxy" do a U-turn on the issue, would convince many more people.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Of course it's all Jar Jar's fault.

4. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Yes it was all his fault , i hope after ROTJ he was hunted down and put on trial as a War Criminal. With the death of vader and the emperor ,Jar Jar should be held solely responsible for all the atrocities inflicted upon the Galaxy by the the Empire.
    To make extra sure this never happens again the republic should initiate order 67 and have all Gungans hunted down and killed.

5. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Also it's jar jar binks fault that many younglings died and he's still alive...... -_-
    I hope in episode 7 luke skywalker puts a light saber in that idiots head.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why'd you leave out the option "maybe so"??

7. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Are you sure? Didn't Bail - like Padmé - oppose the idea of creating an army? Consider Bail's response to the aliens "The debate is over. Now we need that clone army".

I've said it before that Jar Jar tells us about the importance and duty of the supposedly more intelligent, wiser, richer, "better" person in regard to a "lesser" person.

In TPM, Padmé makes friends with Jar Jar, respects him as well as his people and as a consequence makes him a valuable part for both societies, in particular by playing an important role in the liberation of their planet. Without Jar Jar's "bridging", the Naboo and the Gungans probably wouldn't have allied and defeated the Trade Federation.
    In AOTC, on the other hand, Palpatine abuses Jar Jar's naivety by getting him to make the proposal, which leads the galaxy and society to a very dark place.

Ultimately, it's about responsibilty. Both Padmé and Palpatine had "power" over Jar Jar and Jar "became" that power. Only Padmé used that "power" (which, then, is Jar Jar) to make a better world. Palpatine abused his power. I really like that, because it can be applied to any group or individual that's perceived to be "better" in any conceivable regard and is also relevant in respect to people's response to Jar Jar.

So yes and no: It is Jar Jar's "fault", but I wouldn't blame him.

Ingram_I, Iron_lord and Cryogenic like this.
  8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I cannot begin to describe how awesome this post is.

Maybe The Phantom Menace was really Jar Jar Binks...

Cryogenic likes this.
  9. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Don't forget padme called for the vote of no confidence. No vote would mean no chancellor palpatine. The blame can't be placed on one person

10. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    There are a lot of players at fault, but none moreso than Sidious himself. He orchestrated everything. Jar Jar, Padme, the Jedi, the Senate... they were all pawns in his scheme to usurp control of the galaxy. I'm of the mind that if Jar Jar hadn't proposed emergency powers for Palpatine, someone else would have eventually.

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The Phantom Menace alludes to the hidden danger of becoming "alien" or "other" to yourself -- your real self.

Jar Jar Binks is not only the poster boy for tolerance, but a paean for acceptance of the self -- a prayer for the chimerical, inchoate being within.

A lack of self-acceptance leads to denial, repression, projection, and violence. All of which we see neatly played out in the tragic, twin-sunned arc of Anakin Skywalker and the Jedi Order (rather ironically named).

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Technically, Jar-Jar is currently the most at fault for the rise of the Empire probably right behind Sidious.

13. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Exactly. One thing SW truly emphasizes (and exaggerates) is that politicians are morons. They literally decided in vote after vote to surrender their own powers and make Palpatine the eternal ruler of everything. EVEN after the death of Count Dooku and the defense of Coruscant, which would seem to be a huge turn in the tide for the favour of the Republic, we get a scene where Obi-Wan explains there is to be ANOTHER vote granting Palpatine even more power. You can't blame Jar Jar for that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

This isn't true at all. You're telling me Jar Jar is more responsible than Mas Amedda? More responsible than Count Dooku? Nute Gunray?

Jar Jar was manipulated into making a proposal that was met with resounding applause by the Senate. A majority of the Republic's elected representatives were in favor of giving Palpatine emergency powers--it's just that most of them were too cowardly to be the first to make such a radical proposal. If Jar Jar hadn't done it, Palpatine would have gotten someone else to do it, somehow, using whatever leverage he had at his disposal. Jar Jar was just the weakest link within arm's reach.

Palpatine's rise to power was a long process, taking place over the course of many years and involving thousands of people, most of whom were utterly interchangeable pawns in his grand scheme. Jar Jar didn't trip over a stool and press the "create Empire" button. He did what he thought was right and was taken advantage of. Out of all the myriad individuals who helped make the Empire a reality, Jar Jar was one of the few people whose intentions were almost entirely pure. So it would be extremely wrongheaded to blame him of all people ahead of everyone else.

I don't think Star Wars exaggerates that aspect at all. Look at the politicians who currently represent us, especially in America. Frankly, Jar Jar Binks is more believable than some of them.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree that Jar-Jar is a tragically well-intentioned pawn, like pretty much everyone in the PT, but he was the one who said to give Palpatine emergency powers to control the entire Republic, and they did. Someone else would have done it, but the person who did it was Jar-Jar. That's what I view as when the Empire officially starts, when the only one with power is Palpatine. The "reorganization into the first galatic empire" is just a formality at that point.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It isn't really entirely his fault. He's not meant to be a politician. He was manipulated into voting for something that Padme would most certainly not have done

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

It's an important first step, but it isn't when the Empire officially starts. He was given emergency war powers, but the Senate could easily have demanded them back when the war ended, if they wanted to. They didn't.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I realize this is starting to go into "what if" territory, but could they ask for it back? And even if they did, would it be granted? To draw from the ole Holonet sources on the official site, stuff was "suspended for the duration of the emergency" and "the duration of the emergency" pretty much lasted for, like, decades.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Yes, that was the legal veneer Palpatine used to justify his continuing powers. But he was only allowed to get away with that excuse because the Senate let him. It's not as if the Senate, as a body, was uniformly wary of his increasing power, but completely unable to act in the face of his overwhelming legal authority--they were fully complicit in everything he did. They enthusiastically cheered as he declared himself Emperor.

If the Senate demanded that Palpatine give back his powers and step down, what could he do? Refuse, and sic the clones on the 25,000-year-old, legitimately elected ruling body of the Republic? Palpatine needed the Senate to maintain control of the galaxy. At that point, he didn't have an entrenched system of military governors, and he didn't have a Death Star. If they actually wanted to, the Senate could have shut him down.

That's one of the central themes of the prequels--democracies fall by choice, not through force.

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the better argument here is whether Jar Jar is responsible (directly or indirectly) versus being "at fault."

21. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Of course it's an exaggeration. No Senate in a first world democracy would make a vote to give the head of state tyrannical powers. In real life politicians, while greedy, are not that incredibly stupid. They would never hand over the little power they have to someone else.

It was too late at that point. When Palpatine declared himself Emperor he was already the official military commander of the Clones, anyone who did no agree with the new Empire would be dragged away and executed as a traitor. The EU goes into a lot of detail about that. In short, as Tarkin said - fear kept the Senate in line -

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Why would it be anyone's fault other than Palpatine's?

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not going to stop the masses.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh, no kidding. I've seen it over and over around here lately, the overcomplication of the issue by trying to make it anyone's fault other than the fault of the person or people who actually committed the act.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It may be a case of

"Some villains would never be able to achieve what they did without supporters, unwitting or otherwise, therefore the supporters bear some culpability as well"

At least for Palpatine.