main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jar Jar vs. Sebulba - the most important event ever?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Aerex_Matare, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    Okay, the title alone will probably get me burned at the proverbial stake, but hear me out.

Anakin met Qui-Gon because he broke up a fight between Sebulba and Jar Jar. If Jar Jar had not been there, there would have been no conflict, they never would have met Anakin, there would have been no Vader, and thus no empire.

Thoughts?[face_batting]

2. Mister_Fisto

Mister_Fisto Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2005
    Well you do have a point, but the non-occurance of any of the things previous to that scene could have altered future events.

3. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    That would be irrelevent though; as long as Qui-gon needed a Nubian hyperdrive, he was destined to meet Anakin. So even if that scuffle didn't happen, they would still have wandered into Watto's shop and come across Anakin working there. It would have just delayed the inevitable by a few minutes.

4. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    This is the problem with causality arguments - we have a tendency to only go so far back as to what seems to make our case. For instance, we could go back further - no R2, no repaired shields on the Naboo cruiser, which means no Jar Jar and Sebulba. Or no Boss Nass, no bongo, so no R2, so no Jar Jar and Sebulba. Etc., etc.

The other problem with causality arguments is that they assume that the same events would not occur with different precursors (i.e., there are many other ways in which Anakin and Qui-Gon could have interacted on Tattooine, yielding the same relationship and results).

5. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    No, Padme met Ani at the shop, and they would of gone back. So the meeting with Qui-gon and Ani was iminent.

Good Stuff

6. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    "Iminent" is the key word here. It was Anakin's destiny to meet Qui-Gon and become a Jedi. Nothing happens by chance.

8. ArthurClavin

ArthurClavin Jedi Master star 1

Jun 23, 2003
    This topic just blew my mind.

AC

9. Jedi_Knight_Phoenix

Jedi_Knight_Phoenix Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa has quite the point as does Quixotic-Sith. If you think about it if any one thing was changed the time line would not have occured as we know it. Everything does happen for a reason, R2 and the ship, Jar Jar, the Blockade, even Vader's corruption, it was all the will of the Force.

If you're still confused go watch the "Fellowship of the Ring" look for the part where Gandalf and Frodo are talking in Moria about Gollum and the ring, that should reiterate what I just said, only more eloquently.

May the Force be with you,
    Phoenix

10. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Ani and QGJ would have met some other way. I know everyone seems to hate the new Twilight Zone, but there was an episode where they tried to go back in time and kill Hitler, but the Hitler's maid just found some hobo baby and told Mr. Hitler that he was Adolf.

So you see, it's impossible to change the past.

11. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    Their are many what if's. This one is one of millions.

12. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Anakin met Qui-Gon because he broke up a fight between Sebulba and Jar Jar. If Jar Jar had not been there, there would have been no conflict, they never would have met Anakin, there would have been no Vader, and thus no empire.

Nah, Anakin had taken an interest in them (well, in Padme ;)) after they came into the shop and was following them along. He would have likely found another excuse to talk to them if that one hadn't come about.

13. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    I liked the idea that Qui Gon needed a second look at Anakin, instead of just feeling a sort of "vergence" just like that. Earlier, Qui Gon sensed a disturbance in the Force and Im always of the opinion it wasn't Anakin he felt. But more importantly at the time of need, Anakin would eventually have to show them a way. "Nothing happens by accident". The tragedy is such that, Anakin was actually a very helpful child, yet eventually has his fate intertwined when it came to meeting Jedi. A fate that would have disastrous effects on the galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.