main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Jar Jar will be a fan favorite."

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by robot120, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robot120

robot120 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2001
    I am looking for a quote from before TPM was released by some informant about Jar Jar's voice being 100 times Yoda's voice. And how he is the Chewbacca of the prequels and "sure to be a fan favorite." Does anyone remember this?

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Well of course he is a fan favorite. It's the people who aren't fans of Jar-Jar who don't like him so much.

3. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Another case of the fanbase being divided.

4. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    There's a thread in the 3SA forum that has old rumors/spoilers for TPM and AOTC that addresses this issue. I won't post a link because it's in the Spoilers Allowed forum.

But, yes, it was hoped/predicted that JarJar would be a fan favorite. He and the Gungans are described as a cross between an alligator and something else.

If you're interested in reading more, the thread is titled "Ancient Spoilers reveal Lusas' Ep. III filming tactics."

Here's the description (from the thread) of the Gungans that ended up in TPM:

End Celebrations

The celebrations occur at the end of the Nabu/Darth Maur battles where the happy people of Nabu are cheering the Jedi (Obiwan and friends) along with a group of creatures that look like a cross between an aligator and some sort of Dinosaur.

Lady Sami

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    For some reason I wanna say that was a Harry Knowles quote. He was and is a big Jar Jar fan.

(Not just "big" in terms of size. Heh.)

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Never mind. [face_blush]

7. Blast_a_Dooku

Blast_a_Dooku Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2003
    I don't think that Jar Jar will become a fan favorite.

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Man, that Jar-Jar was the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars. :)

9. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    They said the same for Plo Koon. McCallum even described Plo as "the next Boba Fett" in regards to the popularity. I'd say he was right. ;)

10. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    They genuinely thought he was going to sell the trilogy on his own didn't they?. I don't think anybody could have been so wrong.

Me, I've never been remotely bugged by him.

11. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I remember an interview with GL talking about Jar Jar saying, and I quote, "he's great, the fans are going to love him"

That cracks me up every time.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    McCallum even described Plo as "the next Boba Fett" in regards to the popularity. I'd say he was right

Says almost nothing - check
    Does almost nothing - check
    Looks cool standing in the background - check

Plo's got the Boba act down to a T.

13. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree with DamonD on this issue.

If I had a nickel for every time someone made a Plo Koon thread, I'd never have to work again.
    "How will Plo Koon die?"
    "Will Plo Koon kill Dooku?"
    "What will Plo Koon's big scene be?"
    NO ONE CARES! He's a background character and he'll probably get blown up in the same ship as spear carrier #4!

I think Lucas needs to make a movie with no dialogue, no plot, no special effects... just guys in cool costumes standing in a line and a slow, steady pan showing them all. It'll be everyone's favorite Lucasfilm project hands down.

<--- never quite understood the Boba Fett mystique either

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "I think Lucas needs to make a movie with no dialogue, no plot, no special effects"

he's already done two out of three of those in TPM and AOTC. maybe he'll drop the special effects for episode III? [face_mischief]

15. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Well if you put it that way, he's done it with all 5 of the films. ;)

16. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    if you think that all the star wars films are lacking in plot and dialogue, im not sure why you are here.

17. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Evazan, that was the weakest bash ever. There is a plot and there is dialogue in every SW movie, whether or not you enjoy it.

And when did Master201 say anything about the quality of the plot/dialogue? If there is no dialogue in TPM/AOTC, then, since last time I checked all five of the SW movies have characters who say words to each other, but we are setting that condition at zero... then yes, I would agree, there is no dialogue in any SW movie.

Join us next week where Adam, Evazan and Jedi_Master201 mathematically disprove the existence of Jek Porkins. [face_plain]

Stop derailing threads with unrelated bashes. You have a sanctuary for that. If you're going to complain about the prequels, at least stick to the Jar Jar topic on some level. Or the Plo Koon mini-topic that arose.

*sigh* some people's kids...

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    *Thumbs up to AdamBertocci*

The man speak good :D

19. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    I am looking for a quote from before TPM was released by some informant about Jar Jar's voice being 100 times Yoda's voice.

Hrm. I never heard that one. You mean Frank Oz did his voice (Yoda style) and they dialed it up in speed in post production? If not, not quite sure what you mean. Can you restate if that isn't what you were looking for?

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Lucas is the one who said that Jar-Jar's voive was like Yoda's only times ten, because while Yoda had a peculiar way of speaking, Jar-Jar's is even more distinctive.

He IS like the Chewbacca of the prequels, because he is the big alien sidekick for the heros.

21. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Well, in the TPM DVD doc. "the beginning", Lucas said (while he was playing with the story boards) that Jar Jar would be the funniest character of the whole saga!

And he was right!! ;)

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Jar Jar Binks.....uhhhhhh....the 3 most depressing words in the English language!
    Or perhaps any language - since it's a name it's probably the same in other countries too. (is he called Jar Jar in the foreign versions?)

Er.....who is Plo Koon? I have heard the name a number of times, but I gave up trying to remember some of these background characters when we got names like :
    Ya-real Pooff
    Kip Fister
    Saucee Tin
    etc.

And I always assumed Porkins was a nickname, is that his real name? I always thought it was a shame that Porkins didn't get to be on the "Pigs in Space" segment of the Muppets. Okay so technically he was dead by then but...

g

23. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Jar Jar is a "nothing" character.

24. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Er.....who is Plo Koon?
    BEHOLD

And I always assumed Porkins was a nickname, is that his real name?
    Yep. Jek Porkins. Bet he was teased at school.

Getting back to topic -- while Threepio remains the funniest character in the saga to me personally...
    Jar Jar is, to me, the Chewbacca of the prequels. Chewbacca and Jar Jar are there to be comic relief. Hence Lucas' belief that Jar Jar would be the funniest character in the saga.
    One thing I've only realized in the past couple of months is that Chewbacca doesn't actually do much for the story. He's at his most useful when he's pretending to be captured so people can sneak into places (ANH, ROTJ). He is not nearly as important to the story -- the flow of events -- as Jar Jar is.
    However, he is not a useless character either. Besides providing comic relief, he also gives Han someone to talk to, and deepens Han's character.
    (Just as Qui-Gon's character is deepened by having Jar Jar around; seeing how Qui-Gon treats Jar Jar with respect and care helps us see a little more about him, both as a person who respects and loves all forms of life and sees the potential in them, and as someone who's not afraid to go against the flow.)

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Jar Jar is my buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.