main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Java 'movies'?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Raef_Wolfe, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Is it possible to make intros useing Java, making mini 'movies'?

I'm talking something like this, but shorter:

http://lb.wnd.com/columbia.html

Or can you only do that with Flash?

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that's only possible with Flash.

3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    You could do a .gif animation.

4. Duel_of_the_Fetts

Duel_of_the_Fetts Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    You can make movies in Java. I've even seen people make entire 3D animations (with particle systems, physics, etc). But you'd have to program it all yourself.

5. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    I don't mind programming or building, I'm rather used to-even fond-of it.

As for .gif animations, can I do those for free?

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    from my own experience, i've found long gif animations take up a lot more space than a superior-looking flash animation would.

i've seen java movies done as well, though they're not very popular.

7. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    As for free gif's you can go to downloads.com or any other freeware site and I'm sure you'll find a program or demo that is easy to use and makes gif's. if it is a "30 day free trial", just reinstall it after the 30 days. (keep the instalation file.) I use a program called Animation Shop which comes with Paint Shop Pro ($99), but a freeware program should work nearly as well.

As to gif file sizes being large... they can be, but with the right "programming" (setting frame delays, etc.), they can be reasonable. The major problem with gif's is that they are slow if they are too long, etc. by the way, I don't remember when if ever I have seen a java animation. If it ends up being flash (or shockwave, etc.) vs java, don't pick java.
    Hope that helps.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    great post djr. i've been using that same program, animation shop, for a couple years now. i really only use it to make emoticons and animated cursors though. the few times i tried to make gif's they turned out as large file sizes and the animation was slow. *shrug*

9. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    One more thing to mention: if gif animations are NOT too long, etc. they work great, so if all you want is something like the link pointed to (the space shuttle) then a gif should work fine. as long as it is only a few frames (less than 20 [once the frames reach 50 there may be a slight problem on slower computers, and once they reach the 100's most computers, if not all, will have problems.]) there should be absolutely no problem playing it. To make it longer without adding more frames, set FRAME DELAYS for the frames you want to play longer. Also, as a bonus gif files can loop- replay continuously.
    -djr33

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.