main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jawahunters web site question...

Discussion in 'Archive: Jacksonville, NC' started by NienNunb1, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NienNunb1

NienNunb1 Jacksonville, NC FanForce VIP VIP

Nov 3, 2003
    Hello chums!
    I'm using Macs and OSX but cannot get in to see the jawahunters.com web site beyond the opening page. All I see is the salmon pink background color.

Rich knows I'm having this trouble but does not have a Mac to test out why this is happening. Is there anyone out there who is having the same problem as me or knows enough about HTML code to know how to fix it???

Thank you for your time ;)

Nien

2. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    Its because of the Java script that is in use for the popup window. what browser are you using when you try to view it? If you are using something other than Netscape or IE, I can't guarantee its performance, but I am looking for another line of script.

3. NienNunb1

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks Rich!

I've tried several different browsers, all with the same result.

Internet Exploder 5.2 (this is being discontinued for the Mac by Microsoft to spite Steve Jobs)

Netscape 7.1

Safari 1.0

Omniweb 4.5

I'm also using two different computers, an ibook and a G4 tower running OSX.

All browsers should have the latest Mac updates, so I'm at a loss as to what to do. Is this the case for all Mac users?

Cheers,

Mike

4. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    ok. I'll definetly change the java script, and see what that does. It'll be a week or so.

5. JediKnight_Jerri

JediKnight_Jerri Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2002
    Hey Rich ! :)
    Don't know if you have had a chance to work on that issue w/the java script yet or not...........in case you have, I wanted to let you know that we are still only getting the brown background & cannot view anything w/in our web site. :(

6. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    heheh. nope. sorry. lemme try to do that now

7. JediKnight_Jerri

Nov 7, 2002
    Thanks for trying that Rich............ :)

We tried it and instead of opening another window & then just giving us a brown screen...........we stayed in the same window w/a brown screen :(

Is there another code you can try switching we hope?

Remember, Mike has this link up on his web site & does not want to remove it, but, really needs it to be a working link.

8. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    If my newest fix (one I just finished) doesn't fix the situation, then its something with your browser. I know you're using a different one than most, and its on a mac. I've removed all my coding except the most basic. If it doesn't work, its because your browser can't handle normal, simple html coding with deep linking. Which is normal for most sites. Since removing the script, everything will stay in the same window, and the extra music window won't come up. I've disabled everything I can in hopes this will work. If it doesn't, I don't know what to tell you except either see if anybody else is having this problem, and if so, remove the link from quinnzone.com

9. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    I had another mac user using safari hit it.

10. NienNunb1

Nov 3, 2003
    Ahh there we....
    ....it works in Safari now but not in Internet Exploder. That's cool though coz Microsoft are not continuing IE for a Mac anyway. The main thing is it's "Mac legal" so I'm happy. Thanks for doing that!

Happy again :)

11. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    I must be honest here. At first I was pissed about the situation, having to remove stuff I worked hard on, but you've forced me to get more creative. I appreciate that, honestly. No I have some room to put some goofy stuff on the sides and underneath that I'd been trying to figure out where to put it, much like the sergio argones drawings in MAD Magazine.

12. JediKnight_Jerri

Nov 7, 2002
    Hey CinemaFreak, I know you are quite busy there.......however, I have a question.................

Do you have any idea when you might be able to put up the pics on our "character" profile w/us in our 'new' costumes that J-9 did such a wonderful job on?

Also, when you get a chance, do you think you could add Nien to the list of Jawa members on the web site? You can use a pic on his web site for his 'real" side & a pic of Nien for his "character" side -------- SIMPLE ! ! !

Ok so that was 2 questions. However, I know you can handle it or I wouldn't of asked..........keep up the great work ! ! ! :)

13. THE_casual_fan

THE_casual_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2004

Hey Rich, I don't know if this helps any, but I'm on my mom's G4 running on Jaguar...

The website works just fine in Safari 1.2, however using IE 5.2 I'm getting the same brown screen that Nien and Jerry were talking about. I remember viewing it several months ago on IE and it worked just fine... who could forget that navigation? ;)

Usually when I'm testing stuff it's Safari that I have more trouble with using flash. IE is usually no problem. I'll check it on my iMac next chance I get. Good luck with that... very frustrating, I know!

14. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    I'm almost to the point where the 15 people who use a mac and can't see the site will suffer. Maybe I'll direct them to a text file and they can read it all

15. JediKnight_Jerri

Nov 7, 2002
    Good Lord Rich, you need to take a chill pill ! ! ! Why so rude? No one is really bitc _ ing (so to speak).............just trying to let you know what we see so that you will know. It should be a help to you ! Do you think you might have time soon to answer the questions I had?

16. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I use Safari at home and it appears to work fine for me.

17. JediKnight_Jerri

Nov 7, 2002
    Yes it works in Safari for me & Mike to (now). Up until about a month & a half ago however it did not. Rich changed some setting on it & now we can get it. There are quite a # of people in the world that uses Mac & if codes are put in a 'certain' way then it will be visible to everyone (no matter what system you are on).

18. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    ok. Now, because this is a text based communications system, points, moods, and ideas are often times lost in the translation. As jawahunters.com is used to promote the Jacksonville Jawahunters, and there are only around 50 mac users in the general area, It is impossible to make a website that everyone can use. Especially with all of the different browsers that exist. I have devoted over 5 hours to this issue alone, and all of the coding is correct. Everything is spelled out in the code as best it can. If someone has an answer, I'd love to know it. Jerri, remember that some sites just have issues, no matter how well coded or made it is. Remember Mike was having a similar issue with the link to the jawahunters site. And he has more experience than I do. So not every system can handle every website, even a non Flash site. The text file joke was made because text is universal. Everyone can read a text file. Even before I adjusted the site for the initial problem, people with Safari could see the site. I've hit mac chat rooms and only 2% of people couldn't see the site. That's pretty good odds. So Jerri I love you, and I'm sorry you mistook what I said. I guess I need to start using those bloody emoticons. :)

19. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    emoticons make people lazy. ;)

20. THE_casual_fan

THE_casual_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2004

Wow! I didn't mean to start some drama in the force around here... just offering a little input. ;) (*insert lazy emoticon here*) Totally understand the frustration of usability from Mac to PC. With bunnies.

Oh, and just wanted to throw in that at the moment on the Late Show with David Lettterman website they have compiled all the Top 10 Lists about Star Wars. If ya'll want to check it out, hopefully the list will still be there. Thought ya'll might find it amusing.

My favorite is Top 10 Signs You've Seen the `Star Wars' Movies Too Many Times:

10. Your poodles are named "C," "3," "P" and "O"

9. You won't sleep with your wife unless she says, "Help me, Obi Wan, you're my only hope"

8. You spent $10,000 trying to Rogaine yourself into Chewbacca

7. You're continually stunned when the President makes major decisions without consulting Mark Hamill

6. Your favorite pickup line: "Would you like to handle my light saber?"

5. You keep referring to your lawn mower as "that crazy droid"

4. You spend most of your days trying to use "the Force" to open a can of pears

3. You once saw an eggplant that looked kind of like Darth Vader and almost had a heart attack

2. Your sex life is strictly "Han Solo," if you know what I mean

1. You like Yoda so much, you voted for Ross Perot

21. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
  22. NienNunb1

Nov 3, 2003
  23. benskywalker1

benskywalker1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2004
    Now that is just wrong. On that note?

"You want to handle my lightsaber?"

Oh yah In SWG (MMORPG) I am a Mon Cal Jedi now so I really do have a Lightsaber. :)

24. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    How hard is it to become a Jedi now in Galaxies?

25. benskywalker1

benskywalker1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2004
    I think it is even harder. I don't think I see many people get it without mastering 28+ professions. Soon they will be changing that but not yet. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.