main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon jay and silent bob are like "berserker"

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jimsidious, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimsidious

jimsidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2002
    hey where is every one???? their has been a long hiatus, and I think we need to talk more LOL.
    I just watched clerks and "IT IS FUNNY LIKE BERSERKER"
    what do you all think about Jay and silent Bob???
    my personal opinion of the two is this, they are two of the funniest dudes around, if it werent for them I dont think chasing Amy would of been as funny, only cause the end was starting to get to serious, but Jay totally stole the whole movie with his 3 min long cameo. LOL
    next weekend Mallrats LOL

2. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I love Kevin Smith's movies. Jay and Silent Bob are awesome. ;)

3. jimsidious

Jul 23, 2002
    OK well I like Bowen like "berserker"
    LOL

4. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    Jay and Silent Bob are the "token" comic relief, also are like R2 & C3PO! Jay (C3PO) can never shut up and Bob (R2) is the serious, smart one! Nooch! -e

5. jimsidious

Jul 23, 2002
    yes they are awesome!!!!!!!!
    and they actually where fashioned around R2 and threepio :)
    theirs a new movie out "a night out with Kevin Smith" I think I am going to have to check it out. Its supposedly the college tour that he went on, he talks about all kinds of cool stuff
    BONG!!!!

6. Ash_Skywatcher

Ash_Skywatcher Jedi Master

Mar 5, 2003
    it's good. kevin is a very funny guy. i own all his dvd's and can't wait for jersey girl to come out.

7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Besides not liking TPM, Kevin Smith is a cool guy. ;)

8. jimsidious

Jul 23, 2002
    when does the jersey girl come out???
    I've seen alot on it at the movie poopshoot
    I just dont know when its gonna be released.

9. Darth_Stove

Darth_Stove Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    are you talking about the wrestler berserker? That guy was crazy lol

10. Ash_Skywatcher

Ash_Skywatcher Jedi Master

Mar 5, 2003
    it's tentatively scheduled for november 7. the same day as the matrix revolutions.
    btw: go to http://www.newsaskew.com/ for more kevin smith info

11. jimsidious

Jul 23, 2002
    no we arent talking about the wrestler you darsh LOL he was at the slam in the sand though LOL
    you have to see clerks its funny, tomorrow is the "mall rats" day, I havent seen that one yet, but I hear Shanon Douherty is in it :) she is hot like "berserker" LOL

12. Darth_Stove

Darth_Stove Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I have the movie, its on vhs though. Mallrats is cool, you can borrow it for a price

13. jimsidious

Jul 23, 2002
    no you can not have your soul back lol

14. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Kevin Smith rocks! I am not sure about Jersey Girl yet but I will probably end up seeing it anyways. I highly recommend anyone who has not seen all his movies rents them tonight! :) The special edition ones with all the cut scenes, outtakes, and commentary are hilarious...
    KS Movies in order of my favorites:
    1)Clerks
    2)Dogma
    3)Mallrats
    4)Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
    5)Chasing Amy

Also---Although I usually can't stand Jay Leno, sometimes I watch his show depending on who is on that night. Kevin does these comedy bits for it that are always funny.

15. jimsidious

Jul 23, 2002
    this is probably a dumb question but do you know when he does them??? or is it just random??

16. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I am not sure when they are but that is mostly because I really don't like Leno normally.

But I know in the past he announced on shows when Kev would be back.

Also every time I have seen kevin on there it was because during prime time or after the news it was advertised. I think if you just make sure to flip to NBC at least at the very end of the news, it should tell you.

17. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok got some more info:
    This has video clips of some of Kevin's bits:
    http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/correspondents/

You can also find more info on his Tonight Show appearances on his site under recent clips:
    http://www.viewaskew.com/newsside.html

18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I love Leno. He is the man.

The worst faker in probably the history of the late night business is that fool Letterman. I've never seen someone so fake in all of my life. He's the most naturally unfunny bafoon out there. At least Conan is a total goofball who is actually a funny guy. Leno is hilarious, he's always joking around with the actors and celebrities, his monologues are not of course primarily written by him, but he is like a singer who is passionately singing a song someone else wrote for him -- at least it fits. With Letterman, he delivers these stupid, unfunny jokes awkwardly like he has never been on TV before even though he has been there for like decades. He is practically dead he is so stiff. I think I'd laugh more watching Al Gore try to perform standup comedy, now THAT would be hilarious, IMO :)

I love watching Leno, but it's been a while since I had the time. Bummer.

I'd say Chasing Amy belongs higher on that list, it is one of Smith's best films. Very funny, very thoughtful. I am not sure, though, hard to rank because Clerks and Mallrats are seriously so good. It's tough to put Chasing Amy above them, but I would put it above Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, especially for philosophical value.

19. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    They are in the order of my personal favorites. Mallrats use to be #2 but I just really love Dogma. It's such an underated movie.

As for Leno. He mostly writes his own stuff so I'm sure he has help but it's not the same as someone writing a song for you to sing. He writes stuff then tries it out at the comedy club down here every week I believe.

I just don't like him. He is extremely fake and his show does nothing but kiss celebrity butt. I'm not into shows like that. Plus many times he will interupt and try to "steal" the show when a guest is being too entertaining on their own.

Letterman is god. The stiff, weird thing IS his thing. I guess you'd have to be a fan for many years to get it. He is just plan weird with guests (as is Conan) and that's actually why I prefer them. When stuff bombs they don't care. Leno seems to always make cheesy excuses and blame it on other people when his stuff bombs. What he doesn't realize (and Letterman & Conan get) is that when stuff is bombing, that is when it is usually the best.

And for the record...Leno stole 90% of his stuff from Dave. Johnny Carson had a totally different show and when Leno came on, he had to change things, update it. He stole a good deal of his trademark schtick from Letterman. Most of the things you see on there were done for years by Letterman back when his show was after Carson's on NBC.

That in itself is reason enough for me to dislike Leno's show, but he just isn't funny to me most of the time. It seems like he only knows how to either kiss butt or insult celebrities. I personally feel like interview shows are funniest when you ask a question or two to get the ball rolling and then let the crazy celebrity make a fool of themself trying to "impress" the audience. Dave & Conan know how to do that with such expertise that they come out of it looking like an innocent bystander after the train wreck. lol :p

The genius behind this type of interviewing though is Howard Stern. I know lots of people hate him but he still makes me crack up while sitting in rush hour traffic in the am.

OH and FYI Gore tried comedy on SNL...It didn't quite work for him in my opinion. :p

I have a list of some of my favorite movie quotes in my "bio" section and actually there are quite a few Kevin Smith ones in there. Read it for a laugh if you are bored.

20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Umm, lol, we will have to agree to disagree.

I think Letterman is absolutely terrible. I cannot imagine a worse person on TV trying to do humor at all. I could do better than that by far, especially with the money he gets -- and I hate public speaking. I still wouldn't be that stiff, lol.

Leno is great, he is funny, he is original, and he is not fake at all. I actually laughed out loud when you wrote that because for someone who likes Letterman to call Leno fake is like someone who likes Star Trek saying they hate Star Wars because the aliens are weird looking. I mean come on, get real. The aliens in Star Trek are terrible and fake, whereas they are actually well done in Star Wars. Same goes with Letterman vs. Leno. One of them IS extremely fake, and it's Letterman.

'Nuff said about that though. We shall agree to disagree. As long as you are entertained, and I am entertained, we have both shows and both enjoy them, hehe.

Leno is the higher rated show, though, and I think that's for good reason. Although NBC sucks, IMO, they have nothing worth watching really.

21. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    CGI and "fake" aliens is just a TAD different then being "fake" with people, which I what I meant. Fake, pretending to like a celebrity fake. It doesn't really apply just as the song writing comparison didn't since Leno writes his own stuff.
    So when you laughed out loud to me making the fake comment, I laughed when you made the comment about Leno not writing his stuff...which is his most well known quality ;) :p (which is why I usually don't like the monologues AND the interviews) ;) :p
    I just don't like that "interview" where it's all fluff, like most daytime talk shows are;
    ie Regis & Kelly, etc. I prefer a real interview I guess, or at least a crazy one.

I have actually watched these shows as far back as I can remember(even as a kid). I use to watch the other competition as well, ie Arsenio, etc. So it's not like I've just watched one ep and decided I didn't like it. It's kinda just my overall feeling after all these years. And I don't dislike Leno because of his presence per say, it's also a great many things I know about him and the show.

Also Letterman's ratings were up the past year or two. Which is pretty cool considering how long he has been on. But honestly it wouldn't matter to me if no one liked him, I will always prefer him. I just prefer weird, kooky and bizare over cheese.

But like I said this is my opinion and I wouldn't care if no one shared it with me. It's just how I feel about the current talk shows. I enjoy being able to discuss things on here with actual facts and debate them, as in "this is why I feel the way I do", etc. To me that is interesting, to see people's reasons, feelings, etc. I'd rather do that than just blindly argue back and forth on here. So I never discourage valid discussions with facts, and don't worry, I won't get mad. It's interesting to see other sides whether I agree or not.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion....even if it's wrong...

lol THAT was a joke. ha ha funny, you know...

22. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    "which is his most well known quality"

He doesn't write it all, that's all I was trying to say. There are writers on Leno, you know. My film teacher, Jon Lewis, one of the most acclaimed film scholars in the nation, was pointing this out to us in class how there are so many writers attached to all of these shows who help these guys make up their material, too. Although Leno's monologues are always great. Sometimes that's all I watch, if I don't care for the people being interviewed.

Now as for my analogies, they are called analogies for a reason. I suggest you figure out what they are and stop trying to take them so literally.

Hahaha, and Letterman is kooky, crazy? Who are you kidding? Most romantic comedies are less predictable than Letterman, who is NEVER kooky, NEVER unpredictable, looks like he is already dead constantly, just delivering nothing but previously written material. You'd think that he had a little headphone in his ear telling him exactly what to say. He isn't worth $20,000 a year, let alone the millions they pay him. My grandpa would be a funnier late night host and he isn't funny at all really. He could be, though, give him the right material. He could do the same thing as Letterman.

Letterman's name is very reflective of his style of comedy -- MAIL IT IN! That's what he does every night, he mails his performance in, haha.

I at first didn't like Conan, but his show is really funny and I actually do like him now. You want to talk about kooky, maybe you were thinking of Conan. That guy is kooky, which at first really bothered me because honestly he acts gay sometimes and that's just annoying. The whole weird faces thing at the start of a few episodes made me think, "Man this guy is just weird." Still his show is hilarious and I like him now, after watching a lot more episodes.

Now as for Leno's interviews, some of them are hilarious. The stars really make the interviews, though. I mean if the stars are boring, the interview IS boring, no doubt about it. Letterman's interviews are not better, though, that's for sure. I just cannot stand his show. There are a few funny parts here and there. I'm not saying I don't ever laugh while watching, but why would I bother watching his stupid show when a better one is on? I wouldn't.

Leno never kisses up to the stars, but that is all Letterman looks like he does. He is just a pawn of the network and of the stars. He is worthless to comedy. I want Chris Rock to replace him, now that'd be hilarious, haha. Oh man you want to talk about some politically incorrect episodes, that would ROCK, get it? ;) ROCK. Ha-ha. Funny. j/k, lol.

Oh well as I said we are not going to agree on this, but it's ok, it's like a die-hard LOTR fan versus a die-hard Matrix follower or a die-hard SW fan, each of those fans can argue until the cows come home about how much greater their saga or trilogy is, but in the end it comes down to preference. Actually in that particular matter I'd say it comes down to taste -- those with taste know Star Wars is the best, LOTR is still great, and The Matrix films rock but with the newest sequel (great, but not a masterpiece) you see just how far superior both Star Wars and LOTR really are.

On a side note, I'd gladly say that the LOTR films are going to last the ages, they'll be around like forever, and of course Star Wars already has lasted, but The Matrix movies are not very likely to hang around. They will more be interesting films of the era. The types of movies that people look back on 50 years from now and say, "Yes, those were significant films. Pretty cool movies!" but not the type that people are still saying, "Yeah The Matrix is my favorite film." It's like Hang 'Em High. Great Western, I love it, and I think it has lasted well, but everyone only remembers The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and A Fistful of Dollars. ;)

I threw in another analogy for you there at the end. You just gotta remember analogies are just that, analogies, there are similar aspects but they are not the same.

Now some people would be offended that

23. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Actually Leno DOES write his bits and I actually can forward you at least ONE article that says that. He then tries them out every week at the comedy club. I understood the analogy just fine. It just happens to be untrue.

But the point is that like I stated before I am more than willing to debate on here. I don't have a problem with someone else viewing something differently than I do, but I don't appreciate being talked down to simply because I don't agree with you. I will debate till the cows come home when facts and explanations and feelings are part of the equation, but not when it's rudeness, disrespect and condescending remarks. I am willing to see another side of things based on intelligence, but not by insults. That never works with me. We are allowed to debate on these forums but not "bait" and since this is heading towards the later, I think it's best for me not to continue.

This is the last thing I am going to say on the matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.