main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JazzyJedi's AU Handmaiden Stories (Featuring Sabe and Obi) concluded 5/01 Now asking for your vote!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JazzyJedi, Jul 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzyJedi

JazzyJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2000
    These are reposts of "Sabe's Journal" "Choice" and "Conspiracy"from the RHS Fan Fiction thread. My fic there did not travel well in the move. Some paragraphs were lost and the new system won't let me fix it.

"Connection" is still a work in progress. When it's done, it'll be the end of this thread. ;)

These can be considered pg-13 rated.

I hope you enjoy!

Sabe's Journal
    JazzyJedi (jazzyjedila@aol.com)

It was the perfect opportunity! The Queen Elect would be in office soon and the word was out. Applications were being accepted for Handmaidens. I was very qualified. I had training in protocol and diplomacy from my mother, who was an ambassador. I had martial arts and covert ops knowledge from my father, an important lieutenant working closely with Captain Panaka. There was just one problem. I was two weeks shy of my 18th birthday and the cutoff date for application was in one week. We didn't elect our leaders very often and many times the situations called for certain physical types. I might have never gotten
    this close to a chance again, so I had to try anyway.

Although I had the connection, I did not want to get the job based on who I knew. So I didn't tell Panaka I was going to apply. I went to the Guard's office near the palace in Theed, and hoped for the best.
    I handed my application in to the officer at the desk, a middle aged woman that I had never seen. She looked it over, started smiling, then the smile turned to a frown of regret.

"I'm sorry Dear, really I am. You're just not going to be of legal age before the cutoff date. And you have so much going for you too. Excellent grades, an internship with Governer Bibble's office, and many honors in Theed's top martial arts competitions. Why don't you re-apply in a couple of weeks? If an opening comes up, I'm sure you'll have a great chance." She was doing her best to be kind and I appreciated it.

I just smiled, thanked her and turned to leave. At that point, Panaka entered the office.

He greeted me, "Sabé, good to see you again. How are your parents?"

I smiled, but felt embarrassed. The woman at the desk had heard Panaka come in , and was looking our way. I didn't want this to happen. I was ready to accept defeat gracefully, one of the few times I was willing to do so.

But I responded politely, as I had been taught. "Fine, Captain. We are all looking forward to the coming reign of our new queen. Your preparations are going well?"

"As well as can be expected." Panaka continued," This will be such a breath of fresh air, with a new ruler that can be trusted. I look forward to seeing you and your parents at the coronation ball. By the way, is there anything I can help you with, did your father send you on an errand?"

I was about to wave him off, and excuse myself, but the secretary intervened. "Captain, she's submitting her application for a Handmaiden position. Don't you believe she comes well qualified?"

Panaka gave me an appraising look. I just wished that a hole would open up and swallow me right then and there. "I know her qualifications very well. I've watched her grow up. Sabé, if you wanted a job, why didn't you just ask me?"

"Captain, I thought that if I went through channels, then no one could accuse me of pulling strings to get the job. I want to get it on my own," I replied. I still did have my pride.

I could see him tallying up what I had to offer. I had seen the same look on his face in crucial strategy sessions. "I'd like to see anyone make a case against you, just because your family and I work together! Your record speaks for itself. And as for the age problem....if we can elect a queen that's 14, I don't see why one of her handmaidens can't be a few days younger than 18." The Captain looked over at the secretary. "Accept this young woman's application," he instructed. He looked to me. "We'll find a way to make it work." It seemed like a promise.

The next day, my father called me to his office. He was beaming with pride. "Panaka told me a

2. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Yay, the Sabé/Obi story! :) Glad to see this up again.

3. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ--cont.

The next morning I reported for orientation and training with Captain Panaka. Although there were other selections to be made for the group, Panaka wanted to get a head start with me. After a few days of the usual drills and lessons, he called me for a confidential meeting.

When I got to the office, led me in. Inside was a young girl, also dressed in training garb. I acknowleged her with a nod. I supposed she was another recruit. I just didn't know why she would be in on a confidential meeting.

Panaka began," Sabé, you have done very well. The Queen and I are pleased with your progress."

"The Queen knows of my progress in training?" I asked. I had never seen her around.

"Indeed, she does, and she has commanded that you be assigned the position of lead handmaiden. She would like you to train her in the art of self defense. Considering your expertise, I think that's a wise decision," Panaka beamed proudly.

I'll have to admit, I blushed. It was nice having Panaka's respect. I knew my father would feel the same way when he learned of my achievement. "I can hardly wait to meet the Queen and express my gratitude for this honor," I said.

The other girl in the office had been quiet until now. She stood up and looked me in the eyes. "The honor is mine that you would accept this position. But the captain has not yet told you of the danger it entails."

I was stunned. This was the Queen, Amidala of the Naboo, here in front of me. She did not look the least bit imposing. She was the same height and build I was. Even the color of her eyes was close to mine. I recovered and bowed before her. "Your Highness, I know there is risk in protecting you. How is this more dangerous?"

Panaka cleared his throat. "One of the responsiblities of the position is the enaction of a plan that is used in
    emergencies, where the safety of Her Highness is in grave danger. You will be the one to impersonate the Queen. It could mean that you would sacrifice your life for her escape. Are you prepared to do that, Sabé?"

I looked first at Panaka, then the Queen. "I consider it a privilege to serve you in this capacity, Your Highness." I tried not to smile too broadly, I sensed this was a serious moment.

"Very well, here is a schedule of when you are to work with the Queen."

The sessions with Amidala went well. She learned what she had to, even though defense training was far from her favorite pastime. She was quite optimistic and fervently hoped that she would never have need of what I was teaching. As we progressed with improving her skills, we also started a friendship.

One day, during a break, Amidala asked me, "Sabé, what's it like out there?"

Puzzled, I responded, "I'm not sure what you mean, Your Highness."

She explained, "I was handpicked and groomed for leadership at an early age. I was instructed privately by the best and brightest teachers on this world. I've managed Theed, been thoroughly prepared to become Queen. I do it because I believe I can serve Naboo. But I have wondered about life in the everyday world. At my age, other girls are going to classes, spending time together, talking about boys, meeting boys...." She trailed off.

"Ah, Your Highness, well, I can tell you only my experiences," I replied. "It seems to me that often the girls who spend time together are those in the popular groups, and try to keep themselves elite and above the rest of the crowd. You care about others, so I don't believe you would enjoy their company. You would do well with leading a faction that was interested in service of the common good, I'm sorry to say there aren't many of those around with members of your age." I went on, "As for boys, I don't have experience there. With the skills to best most of them at marksmanship and martial arts, as well as an imposing father, there were none who were confident enough to ask me out. Father assures me that the situation will improve later."

"Oh," the Queen looked surprised. "I would have never guessed. You

4. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ-cont.
    The month leading up to our escape from our home was difficult for most, fatal for some. The Trade Federation's blockade was depriving us of supplies necessary for a population of our size. We had to import much of our food and many medical supplies. The Queen knew that one of Veruna's legacies was a world that was not self sufficent in these resources. She had planned to take action to correct that during her reign. But this had come too soon-we wouldn't have been able to reach that goal for a few years. The Federation saw that and took advantage of our weakness to their benefit. I was most infuritated at the reason for their action. It was over the petty matter of taxes! I had to keep reminding myself that rage would not help, it would only distract me from the business at hand.

When the time was near for our capture at the hands of battle droids, I wished to stay and fight it out. The Queen had to calm me and remind me that we were outgunned, fighting at this time was not the answer. I was going to insist on attempting to conceal some weapons as she helped me get into the black velvet dress that was to be my disguise. I even rehearsed my speech to her while I waited for her to join me. I did begin to wonder what why she was delayed when Amidala entered the dressing room at last. Saché was on her heels, the most earnest look on her face.

"But, Your Highness," Saché pleaded

"No! That's my final answer," the Queen said. Her voice was firm, and it was clear she would not discuss the matter any further, whatever it was.

Saché bowed her head. "Yes, Your Highness," she replied meekly.

Amidala's manner softened. "Saché," she said, touching the young handmaiden's shoulder. "I appreciate your thoughtfulness and concern. I know you meant well. Perhaps your preparations will be useful at another time. For now, this is the plan we are going to follow. You trust me, right?"

"Of course," Saché blurted out. "You don't even have to ask!"

"Well, then," the Queen smiled. "Bear with me, and all will be well in the end. Now, I must speak with Sabé. Go gather the other handmaidens and we will meet in the Throne Room shortly."

As soon as Saché left, the Queen let her confident manner drop a bit before me. Sadness in her eyes, she helped me dress and prepare for my role as her decoy.

"May I ask, Your Highness-what did Saché have in mind?"

"She has a shelter prepared in the secret passages. It's stocked with enough supplies for a month. She wanted me to hide there while the rest of you were captured. I will not desert any of you to hide. I certainly can't rule from there. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, but it's not the plan for me."

"I understand, Your Highness," I said. I started to rethink my speech. It might not be wise to bring up another issue so soon. I decided to try anyway.

"Padmé," I said in the voice she used, "We should be prepared with the weapons so that if we can get the drop on them, we can make the best use of the opportunity."

She stopped dressing me for a moment, lost in thought.

When she picked up where she left off, she started coaching me. "Make the voice a bit deeper, Your Highness, and do your best to drop the accent. You will need to sound stoic. As much as I respect your defense ability, and you know I do, your plan has a brash aspect to it. I realize it's hard to walk and not fight," Amidala said. She stopped fastening the gown in the back for just a moment so she could walk around and face me. "And I know the feeling of violation you are going through, we all feel it. I believe our time will come, it's just not now."

I nodded. At least I had tried.

When she had finished, she stood back and looked me over. She was pleased with my appearance. She quickly changed into the handmaiden orange uniform and just before she pulled the hood over her head, she fingered her amulet. It was a token from her father, and I knew just how much it meant to her. In fact we had gone on a search in the woods tha

5. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont--

Even though it caused a slight delay, the Queen indicated to me that Saché and Yané were to stay behind. I could see the pain and confusion in their eyes. Amidala meant to spare them the risk of escaping the planet, but they saw it as rejection of their service, at least at first. She embraced them and whispered something to each of them as quickly and quietly as she could, then she let me know she was ready to leave.

After getting through the hanger and onto the ship, I was whisked away to the royal quarters with the other handmaidens and the Queen in disguise. It was thought that we would be safest there to wait out the fight that was expected to ensue as we escaped. Though the ride was rough, we used this time to plan and try to anticipate what would come next and how I should react to it.

"You will have to give me some orders," Amidala told me. "It will avert any suspicion that might come up. If you need a sign from me, try to find a way to put me in a position where you can see me without looking back."

When the fight was over, and we were on our way, Panaka called us for a meeting with the Jedi and himself to go over what we would do next. He warned us of the ship's difficulty and asked the Queen to consider all the options. We followed him to the ship's throne room.

Panaka opened the meeting with the presentation of the little droid that saved the ship. R2D2, it was called. Because of the fire it faced outside, it was dirty and covered with dust. But it was in a position for me to face it directly. Since I knew the next order of business would require a decision, I wanted to take my cue from the Queen. Here was the chance to place her in that position.

I ordered Padmé to clean up the droid. She understood, and moved next to it where I could see her. I must admit, it seemed a bit uncomfortable for me to tell her what to do in quite that manner. I masked that discomfort with a smile. Alright- both Rabé and Eirtaé have accused me of enjoying it a bit too much. Maybe I did, but no one will catch me admitting it.

The Jedi presented their proposal, that we land on Tatooine for parts and repairs. It did actually seem the best course of action under the circumstances. I read the Queen's face. She was not happy with the option, she was anxious to get to the Senate. It was with great reluctance that she signaled her consent, then left with the droid.

The meeting over, Panaka and the Jedi prepared to leave. As Obi-Wan lingered at the door and spoke quietly to his master, I studied him. Even though we were in a bad situation, I couldn't help myself. When he faced me, I had to pretend that I was not concerned with him. I was quite pleased that I had been able to hide my attraction to him. Now that he was not looking directly at me, I indulged myself in very intense observation and thought of him. Almost as if he could pick it up, he suddenly turned and gave me a very strange look. Then he departed. He couldn't have known, could he?

At that point I remembered the the Jedi were also telepaths, not just warriors. I sighed. Another mistake. I would have to be much more careful.

Back in the Queen's chambers, I was able to remove the headdress for awhile. I took a deep relaxing breath. Closing my eyes for a moment to concentrate on what I needed to do next, I began to feel someone's gaze burning through me. I turned around, opened my eyes and faced Eirtaé.

She was displaying a sly grin, like she had something on me.

"That young Jedi is really quite amazing, is he not? I think I'll see if I can get his attention," she said, amusement in her tones.

I refused to take the bait. I raised an eyebrow and gave her my most detached stare. "Perhaps you can. Maybe he likes blondes. Let us know how it goes."

It wasn't what she wanted to hear. She buried her disapointment over the failed jab. As she retreated, I noticed Rabé had been watching the conversation. She winked at me before she turned away. When she thought my

6. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.
    When I awoke, the misgivings began setting in. Rabé and Eirtaé were not going to ask about the events of the night, but I knew they were dying to. They kept giving me those kind of looks. They had seen that I had been away much longer than I should have, and when I came back, that I looked flushed and flustered. Even though Rabé had been out too, she had been calm when I ran into her. I had the feeling the issue was going to be addressed sooner or later. I was going to make it later if possible. To that end, I planned to hide in the Royal bedchambers until Panaka or Padme called me out.

Panaka finally decided to come in and talk to me. He sent the other two handmaidens out, so we could speak freely. He paced back and forth. I realized that I was the only one he felt he could talk to on the ship. We not only had a long standing relationship, but he could not unload on any of the men under his command present. If he did, he would risk appearing uncertain and weak.

"Sabé, the Jedi keeps coming up with crazy plans and putting us all in a situation that goes from bad to worse," he fumed. "Now he's bet the Queen's ship on the entry fee to enter some kid in a pod race! That apprentice didn't even tell me, I overheard it as they spoke on the comlink. It's an awful long shot that a human can pod race at all, much less win."

I let him go on, while I nodded sympathetically. All he really needed was to blow off steam. He hated having no control over the mess we were in. I knew Amidala was none too pleased either, but what else was to be done? If it all did work out, I wanted to meet this boy. If a droid could be rewarded for what it was programmed to do, how much more did a child who was not even of the Naboo deserve our gratitude?

When the Captain had finished and left me, I pulled some files from the small library on board. Rabé and Eirtaé came back in the small room. Rabé joined me by the console, Eirataé kept her distance, but looked on.

"Found anything useful?" Rabé asked.

"Checking out our protectors," I said, pointing at the screen. "I've located what little there is on the Jedi. I've finally found a reference for Qui-Gon Jinn."

As we skimmed over the information, Eiraté got a little closer. She was curious, but didn't want to admit it.

Rabé shook her head while she read Qui-Gon's information. "He's got a record of being a risk-taker."

"True," I agreed. " But I have to note, he's successful more often than not. I hope his trend works in our favor."

As the day wore on, I passed the time by doing some simple exercises and reading more from the library. Rabé was absent again for awhile. I was starting to wonder about that. I didn't want to be suspicious, but habitual disappearances would not look good right now.

Later, the Queen arrived, with the good news. The boy had won the race! We would soon be operational again. The Padawan was hard at work on our repairs, and we were waiting for the Jedi Master to finish some last errands.

Amidala was in and out of the chambers, and indicated she thought I should make an appearance soon, so I started to get the gown on before I called Rabé and Eirtaé to help. While doing this, I began trying to decide what to tell the Queen about my conversation with the young Jedi. Seeing her here made me realize how what had happened could be awkward for her. After all, what if Obi-Wan mentioned the meeting or tried to follow up on it, assuming this was the same person he had spoken to in such a familiar way?

I was almost ready, and I was waiting for the right moment to tell Amidala of last night's incident, when suddenly chaos broke out. I heard a scuffle, voices, someone shouted that we must take off. The ship rose and moved about, I almost lost my balance and fell down. I was about to go and see what the problem was, when Rabé and Eirtaé rushed in.

"There's a fight, we're trying to pick up the Master and get out of here," Rabé shouted to me. "Just find a seat and wait." I nodde

7. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

While enroute to Coruscant, we had some time to kill. I continued playing around with the library and drilling Eirtaé on her defense skills. She was weak in that area, her main tasks were etiquette and protocol. Very important abilities, but now she had to know more. Coming from a wealthy family made her seem a bit whiny and spoiled to me, but to her credit, she knew that she needed to get serious and learn what she could from me. This session wasn't going too well, though. Thank goodness we were only using dummy practice blasters.

"Eirtaé, grip the pistol and aim it firmly. Stop wincing and shrinking back," I ordered.

She looked exasperated. "I'm trying," she wailed.

Rabé looked on, studying the tension between us. She served as hairdresser to the Queen, but she was also a master at psychology. Good thing she was, too. If she couldn't explain Eirtaé's behavior to me later, I was going to have to throttle the rich kid.

Eirtaé's frustration was getting the better of her. "I shouldn't have to do this! I could have volunteered for the army if I wanted to do this! I'm just supposed to have a nice job worthy of my station."

I stopped trying to teach, and took deep breaths. "Eirtaé, you signed the same contract as the rest of us. This is something we all have to do."

"Sabé, I read the contract, but Naboo had been at been at peace forever before this. I had no idea I'd actually have to operate one of these things." She thrust the pistol toward me like it was something vile.

I took it from her. "Perhaps when we get to a proper firing range, you'll find it easier to practice. For now, if anything happens, stay behind me and Rabé."

She scowled at me. "I'll get the hang of it. Just let me have a break, alright?" I nodded.

Eirtaé stalked off darkly, while Rabé remained, still sitting on a side area of the throne room.

"What's wrong here, Rabé? I've been able to teach almost anybody, even Yané, who's had almost no confidence. But she just won't learn, she fights me every step of the way," said, sitting next to my cohort.

"She really is uncomfortable with the idea, but there's something else, Sabé. No one has mentioned it to you yet, but she almost didn't get this job. She somehow believes that you had something to do with that. Remember how there were two votes against you in the hearing?" I nodded. "One of those votes came from a representative of her region. They feared that voting you in would reduce her chances of success. That's only one of the reasons that she's quite jealous of you."

"Jealous? Of me?" I have to admit, this came as a surprise.

"Yes, that you can do some things better than she can is taking her some getting used to. She'll realize that her talents are different than yours and just as valuable. For all her talk of her position, she's insecure. Just keep teaching her, she'll find her role." Rabé continued, "And there's the matter of your encounter with the Jedi." At this , she grinned. "Trust me, she's very jealous of that. At the moment she's the only one of us without at least a minor relationship."

I laughed. "Minor isn't the word for mine, try non-existant. All we did was chat and experience a strong attraction. I wouldn't call that a relationship. Very nice, but there's nothing there that will last. Not that I wouldn't wish otherwise, but the reality is, I probably won't ever see him again after we land on Coruscant. I can't get attached." Rabé just smiled, like she had some delicious secret.

"So you say, Sabé. But Eirtaé doesn't know that. And she wouldn't mind even a 'meaningless' encounter right now," Rabé replied.

For some reason, this line of conversation made me squirm. I changed the subject. "But there's obviously a lot you know that I don't. Like your own relationship- I've been wondering where you were sneaking off to. One of the guards that escaped with us?"

She nodded, "I had my eye on him before we left Naboo, I just hadn't figured out how to break the ice. Being thrown

8. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

The Queen, Rabé, and Eirtaé were on their way to Senator Palpatine's office to discuss what options were available to solve Naboo's crisis. I was allowed to remain behind in the quarters reserved for us. I was off duty, but I might be called upon to relieve one of my group at any time, so I stayed alert and ready.

I wandered over to the window and studied the view of Coruscant. Some considered it a lovely place, full of interesting buildings, streets, levels and lights. It made me cringe. I longed for the green of the meadows, forests and swamps of Naboo. I was so glad that we had kept most of the land as it was, even if it meant that we had to depend on other worlds for some of our necessities.

While considering this, the comlink I was wearing chimed. One of our guards announced, "Handmaiden, a meal has arrived for you."

I sighed. It had to be Rabé was playing mother hen again. My appetite was lighter than it had been at home, true, but I did not need her to be so overprotective. "Alright send it in," I responded. I was still only going to pick at it.

I heard the door slide open. Still looking out the window, I directed, "Just put it anywhere." Then I turned around to deal with it. My heart lept with joy.

Instead of the delivery droid I was expecting, Obi-Wan was holding a tray containing one of the most elaborate dishes I have seen in a long time. He had a slightly puzzled look on his face, as if he really didn't know quite why he was here.

I swallowed hard, and steadied myself. I pushed the hood back to reveal my face and greet my unexpected guest. He looked me in the eyes and suddenly the expression changed to one of relief and delight. I liked that.

"I didn't know that Jedi's duties included providing nutrition to handmaidens," I smiled.

"For today, this Jedi's duties do," he quipped back, not missing a beat. He sat the tray down on the table in the outer room, setting up the utensils and beverages. "And really, I'm due a cushy assignment for a change. Sharing a gourmet meal with a beautiful woman should be on the roster more often." I was very pleased with the compliment, but tried not to blush about him again.

"You mean that you and Master Qui-Gon don't do that every week? I'm surprised, it's certainly not due to lack of interest," I stated, with a sly grin. "The two of you make quite a handsome pair. You must have many candidates for such an honor."

He put his hand on his chin and looked up in mock seriousness. "Ah yes, well, let's see...Master and I had a most interesting dinner a few weeks back with synthorations and a swarm of stinging Corellian mosquitos. On Kubindi, we scavenged for moss and leaves while evading some vicious little razorback creatures. And how could I forget that wonderful breakfast of purple flavorless goo that the Eurturpeans offered as their finest delicacy?"

I giggled warmly, and he faced me, hands in the air, pretending to concede my point. "You're right, Lady. We float along from one feast to another, such is a Jedi's lot." His smile let me know that he felt comfortable with me.

"Please, call me Sabé. And I always suspected as much. Now let's partake of your latest repast. I hope this will be a more pleasant experience for you than the ones you just spoke of," I said, seating myself at the table as he did.

His eyes met mine. Softly this time, he replied, "It already is, but not because of the food." A thrill ran through me.

Regaining my composure, I began eating, as did he. The dish was truly delectable, a Calamarian fish with a spicy sweet sauce. Fresh vegetables on the side cut into sticks and a bread of exotic brown color accented the meal. There was a Naboo wine, one of our rare crops and this was an especially good vintage. But seeing the bottle reminded me of home, and a wave of sadness washed over me.

Obi-Wan looked concerned. He reached out and touched my hand. "Don't let it sadden you. It's meant to remind you of the good things about your home and give you

9. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

A few hours after Obi-Wan's visit, the Queen was readying for her Senate appearance. She had selected her most elaborate robe, thinking that it would impress everyone with the majesty of Naboo.

My orders were to continue to remain in the Senator's guest quarters. I would monitor what was going on, and staying out of sight would ensure that I could resume the Queen's position later.

When Amidala was almost ready, a signal sounded on the comlink. The guard outside recognized Anakin and announced him. Rabé was closest to the door, and decided to allow him in. I could view the door from where I was in the next room. I liked Ani and I was hoping the Queen would agree to see him.

When he entered and asked for Padmé, I could see the worry in his eyes. He was putting on a brave face, but he needed to speak to his friend before his test, the one he trusted most with his heart and soul-the girl he already loved.

I glanced up at Amidala when she looked through the doorway to see who had arrived. I met her eyes and with my expressions tried to convince her.

::Tell him the truth, Your Highness. He has earned the right to know. He will not betray you!:: I wanted to shout it out, but I could not.

She turned away from me. Her eyes, her expression, remained cool. My effort had failed. Only her voice softened slightly, as she told Anakin that she would relay his message to Padmé. She returned to the inner chamber. It's the only time I've ever been angry with her.

The boy, looking as though he felt hollow, turned to go. Rabé seemed as dissapointed as I was. I nodded at her, and walked over to the boy before he left the room.

"Ani," I said, kneeling so I could look at his face. I put a hand on his shoulder. Slowly, I spoke. "You must know that I cannot promise this, but if it is possible, I will send Padmé to see you."

He gave me that intense look. "You understand."

"Yes Ani, I understand. I too, am away from home, far from family who love me and there is someone I care for who is near, but has duties to perform."

He grabbed my hand, we gave each other a quick clasp of support. Then he left for his test.

I was watching the Senate in progress, it was now time for the Queen to speak. As the vidscreen showed me the lack of support, we were getting, I had to slump back in my chair. Even Amidala could not prevail against the monster this body had become. I wiped away the tears that came while thinking of how much longer our people would have to endure.

The Queen excused herself as soon as she could and made her way back to our temporary quarters. She changed into her next outfit, a lovely black kimono. The four of us tried to avoid speaking of Naboo, it would hurt too much to think of home now.

"Anyone want a break?" I asked. I was fresh and ready to get out of this room. I'd been cooped up too long.

"Your Highness, may I take Sabé up on her offer?" Rabé spoke, anticipation in her eyes. Amidala, well aware of her relationship with the young guard, who we had finally come to know as Rowan, gave her a knowing look.

"Finish my hair, and you may go," Amidala told Rabé, in a stately, yet still warm tone. It was obvious that she approved of the couple. I smiled. After I had spoken with Rowan a short time, he seemed like a very good man, and I was happy for them both.

The only one who looked less than pleased was Eirtaé. Oh, she managed a half hearted smile, but then busied herself with details of the Queen's gown and said nothing. I could see that this was not going to do. I didn't want to go so far as to pair her with someone myself, but I couldn't let this envy develop into full blown jealousy either. We had to keep our focus together as a team, not as girls competing for the best male specimen.

"Eirtaé, I think you did well with your last blaster pistol session. Now, why don't you share your area of expertise with me? Since I'm about to go to the Senator's office for

10. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

It seemed this time I had worked a bit too strenously. I exited the throne room, feeling a strain in my lower back. Slipping my robe on over the bodysuit and dabbing at my face with the towel, I decided that Rabé would be allowed to baby me this time, I had been hard enough on myself . A few steps out of the room and I met Qui-Gon with Anakin in tow.

I gave them a smile and a nod as I passed, holding my back. I tried to stand up straighter hoping they wouldn't notice the strain, but the Master was too observant. He touched my shoulder, "Young Handmaiden, you're in pain."

I smiled uncomfortably and replied, "Really Master Jedi, it's nothing. I just overextended a bit. I'll be alright, thank you."

He wouldn't be put off. "I insist," he said as he gently, but firmly manuevered me back to the Throne Room. Anakin followed.

Resigned, I opened the door. The Master guided me to one of the cushioned seats on the wall and pulled it down. "Now, sit here. This won't take long. Anakin, go to the galley and get us some tea. Herbal for the two of us and Green Endor for the young lady here. It will help with her soreness."

Anakin recognized me from the Senate Quarters and gave me a warm smile. We nodded at each other and he started toward the exit. "Oh, and Ani," Qui-Gon said. "Leave the door open."

"Yes, Master, Sir," Ani said and was gone.

"Master Jedi, you, of all people, have more to do than make a fuss over me...," I started.

He gave me one of those looks, the one that encouraged yet reproached at the same time. "And Lady, you know better than to strain yourself. Now, remove the robe so I can heal you."

I already knew there was little point in arguing, so I let the robe slip off. Qui-Gon started his examination using a healing touch. It was a far different sensation than Obi-Wan's caress. It was a soothing, comfortable feeling rather than an exciting one. It was almost paternal.

I started feeling safe enough to bring up what must be a more sore subject than my back. "Master, I have sensed tension and uncertainty from Obi-Wan. I may be overstepping my bounds in asking, but is there a rift between you and your padawan?"

I felt him stiffen ever so slightly. I backed off, "Forgive me, I shouldn't have asked."

He was silent for a moment. Then he relaxed and responded. "No, it's alright. Your concern for Obi-Wan is genuine. It's true, we are avoiding each other right now." His voice took on a tinge of regret. "In trying to do the greater good, I've hurt him. I wish things hadn't gone this way."

I turned my head to the side so he could see by my smile that I meant the next statement in the best way possible. I made it as warm and approving as I could. "You just like being everyone's daddy, don't you?"

He was slightly taken aback, I don't think he expected to be spoken to in that manner. He considered it, then it was accepted. "Not quite *everyone's* 'daddy', as you put it. I do think that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me since our arrival at Coruscant. I thank you."

"You're quite welcome. I'm sure everything will turn out for the best. Obi-Wan may be an adult, but he's not quite ready to give up his father figure yet. I don't think you want give him up either, if you can help it."

I must have been getting too close at that point, he politely changed the subject. "You know, you and Obi-Wan should *talk* more. It would do you both good," he said with the teacher/parent tone.

I couldn't help it, I smiled because I knew I had it coming. "You have me there, Master. In my defense, let me say that he is the only one who affects me so. The only one who can, I think. We do start talking, but before long, well ,you know what it turns into. If I were Force sensitive, I would hazard a guess that that's what comes into play, the Force influence. It seems to be something that moves me, rather than a planned decision on my part. Maybe I'm just making it up to avoid responsibility for my actions. I don't know." I shrugged.

11. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont

Rushing through the next few steps, I caught a quick sonic shower in the 'fresher of the Royal quarters, changed into the orange handmaiden gown, hurried to the galley and found what I was looking for, some Black Alderaan tea and sweet biscuits. I finally allowed myself to slow down as I was drawing the hot water and the tea steeped. I decided to try reaching out with my thoughts, seeking my Jedi friend. Amazingly, the image came to me. He was in the lower deck, near the power core, alone. The tray of refreshments ready, I went to him.

I entered the area, and actually surprised him. "Sabé," he exclaimed, half smiling. "What is this?"

"My turn to serve Jedi," I replied. "I'm afraid we don't have as grand a selection of food as on Coruscant, I hope this will suffice for now." I placed the tray on the small counter in the room. There was a bench around it, and I motioned for him to sit.

He did sit and sweetened the tea with honey. I stayed standing and moved behind him, placed my hands on his shoulders. I started gently working some of his tension away. He let himself relax at last.

"Thank you for coming to me. I needed that," he sighed.

It was a sigh so tempting, I had to restrain myself. Qui-Gon was right, we did need to talk more, especially now that I wanted to be a friend to this man. "Whatever you're feeling about the situation between you and your Master, it will pass and things will be as they should. You trust that, don't you.?"

"Yes," he said, leaning back and taking my right hand. "This is just hard to get through right now. Why don't you sit with me?"

"Alright," I responded. He released my hand and I moved to sit next his right side on the bench. Suddenly he reached his arms around me, pulling me back into himself. He held me close and buried his face against the back of my left shoulder. I think he would have cried if he could have allowed himself that. I placed my right hand on top of his that were around my waist and with my left hand reached around to stroke his temple, hoping it was comforting.

Lifting his face, he spoke, "When I do lose him, it will be too soon. No matter when that is, it will be too soon."

"That's how it is with someone you love." I let him hold me and work his way through the despair. When I sensed that he was getting centered, I asked, "Tell me some of your memories of those at the Temple, your friends and other teachers. I'd like to hear about it, if you wish to share."

Focusing on the pleasant memories seemed to help him. "Yes, I fought hard to keep many of those. I survived a memory wipe that was tried on me once. Thanks to the Force, it didn't work." He continued with tales of students that were close to him. Among those who were close to him was Bant, a Mon Calamari. There were others as well, such as the two boys who stuck together through it all, Reeft and Garen Muln.

"There, that was quite a bit of history," he said, tired after the bout of storytelling. "And now I'm with you. You've become special. Very dear to me, as a matter of fact."

I closed my eyes, and felt the warm shiver run through me. Obi-Wan had sent a Force caress to me.

He released his hold on me and turned me around to face him. "Is that so?" I asked in jest.

He moved in and kissed me.

The comlinks all the handmaidens wore chimed to indicate that our time off was over. I tried to think up new curses. The old ones I knew did not seem bad enough.

Reluctantly, I pulled back from the kiss. "Duty calls. I hope we can take up where we're leaving off soon."
    He nodded in agreement, and we both started towards the upper deck to the Throne room.

Obi-Wan and I got to the door that joined the compartment that we had been in, to the droid hold and its elevator. Coming from the direction of the escape pods, Rabé and Rowan emerged from another door. They were straightening themselves up quickly, tucking bits of uniform into place. I bit my lip and did not say a word as we rode up the elevator and to t

12. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

Since I knew what the Queen would be proposing in the meeting, it came as no surprise to me. Captain Panaka was shocked and outraged, of course. As he voiced his objections to her plans, it occurred to me that she had prepared her responses by gauging his reactions as similar to mine. His were much stronger and more vehement, but basically they were the same. When she brought up Jar-Jar Binks, and his army, Panaka finally swallowed his rage, and gave the shy Gungan an cold stare. He was overruled and he knew it.

The Jedi were more in favor of the plan, but could not say so, they reminded her that they were only able to protect her. That would be enough for our needs, they would find out more soon.

When the Queen told the Gungan what he needed to do for her, he was afraid, but very willing to help. It seems that he had been as won over by her acceptance of him, as she had been charmed by his friendliness. It was not a match that I ever would have anticipated, but I was counting on it to work. We could do no more now than wait for our arrival home to play out the scenario.

As we landed on Naboo, I was putting the finishing touches on my disguise. I hoped it would be the last time that I would have to assume the Queen's identity. This time was the most risky. I was to negotiate with the Gungan leader, Boss Nass, in order to form an alliance and get the Grand Army to fight for us. Frankly, I doubted it would work. I thought that the Gungans must have told their children similar tales of us as I had heard of them. Through my head ran the many diplomatic lessons my mother tried to teach me when she thought I was becoming a bit too tomboyish. For the first time I hoped that some of it might have sunken in.

We stood on the edge of the forest waiting for Jar-Jar Binks to return. Amidala was Padmé again and as cool as could be. I tried following her lead and doing my best to contain my apprehension, but it was difficult. I needed practice on meditation. I wondered, if I asked Master Qui-Gon Jinn, would he help me out again?

Peering at the two Jedi at the edge of the lake, I noticed there was still an uneasiness between them. I hated that. Obi-Wan did too, I saw him approach his master in humility, there was a smile from the older man, then the energy seemed to flow properly between them again. I was glad, that was as it should be.

When Jar-Jar broke the surface of the lake, it seemed the news was not good. The Gungan city was deserted. Captain Panaka, was the cynic as usual. He declared they must have been wiped out or taken to camps. Binks knew better though, he would lead us to a sacred Gungan place. It would be dangerous, as they would not like us at all.

"Stay behind me at all times, Your Highness, please," I whispered. I was concerned, and I wished nothing to happen to her.

Amidala gave me a grateful smile, with a hint of pity. She would do whatever she felt was right no matter what Panaka or I had to say. I would just have to be ready to deal with that.

Jar-Jar guided us to the hiding place. It wasn't long before their guards found us and escorted us to the leader, Boss Nass. I was ready, I had been well coached.

The Gungan Captain introduced me as Amidala. I stepped forward, ready to open discussion.

"I am Queen Amidala of the Naboo, I come in peace." I watched his features, trying to interpret his reaction. It was difficult for me, I wasn't used to reading a Gungan's face. He didn't like me, that much I could tell. I did gather that he blamed us for the invasion, and felt we were as bad as the Federation.

I could feel Amidala's will behind me, pushing me to try again. "We wish to form an Alliance with you," I started. Nass cut me off abruptly, telling us he would have nothing to do with us. I took a deep breath and was about to continue, when the Queen stepped in front of me! I stifled the urge to shield her with my body from the electropoles.

Amidala, the real one, turned to me in consolation. "You did well, Sabé,"

13. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

While Panaka and his crew were on the recon mission, I asked for the opportunity to take a break, to clear my head. Amidala had others to protect her for this time, so she agreed, deciding that all the handmaidens could use a rest. I wanted to take a walk in the forest and find a secluded spot. Soon, there was a quiet place that appealed to me. I knew something, maybe the Force had led me here, for the spot was perfect-a small hollow concealed by thick bushes. I could be hidden and undisturbed. I kneeled and began my meditation. The recent events ran through my mind.

It wasn't long before I was joined by Obi-Wan. I didn't expect him to be seeking me. He warned me he was coming with his footsteps. I smiled. I knew it would have been just as easy for him to catch me off guard.

"Why are you all alone this far from the group?" he asked.

"I was looking for a little peace and quiet before we go to battle," I replied.

"Were you? You didn't mean to call me?" Obi-Wan frowned.

"I was thinking about you, if that's what you mean. Going over the last few days in my mind. Did it seem I was calling you? I wouldn't want to interrupt this time for you to be with your master," I said. I was sincere.

"My master is the one who said I should go to you. Sabé, I don't think you know how well you send, especially if someone other than myself can sense it," He declared. "What a waste, that you can't train with us," he said sadly. But then he perked up a bit. "What were you thinking concerning the last few days?"

It would be hard to admit, but I would not lie to him again. I bowed my head, thinking it might be easier if I avoided looking at him. "That I wish I could have told you who I was from the beginning. I hope you were never angry or disappointed that I'm just a handmaiden and not the Queen."

He came to me and took my chin in his hand, tilted my face up to look him in the eye.

"When we were alone in the ship's throne room the first time, I didn't care if I was with a Queen. I wanted the woman I saw in that private moment. You are strong, dedicated, capable and beautiful. Of course, the pull of the Force and the desire I sensed in you helped quite a lot."

I blushed and smiled.

"And after all, you know it wasn't long before I realized you weren't the Queen," he said, amused.

"Yes," I said," I'm still wondering why you decided not to reveal me."

"I didn't see a reason to do so. Your loyalty to Amidala was very clear. The other handmaidens and Panaka were obviously in on the ruse. I decided to wait and see what it was leading up to," he said. "But Qui-Gon knew first, and he did have some fun with me over it." Obi-Wan rolled his eyes in mock exasperation.

I laughed, relieved that the burden of the deception had been fully lifted from me. "So," I asked, "When and how did you know for sure?"

"When I met Amidala as the Queen going to Senator Palpatine's office, I knew that she was not who I had been with in the throne room. Her eyes were cool, in control at all times. Not like yours, you, with fire in your eyes." His fingers ran from my temple down the right side of my face, caressing it. "I saw that fire on the ship and again, when you lowered your hood in the guest quarters to accept the dinner your compatriot, Rabé charged me with bringing to you."

I took the braid between my fingers, slowly handling it, enjoying how it felt. "I must remember to thank Rabé for her intervention," I said.

He leaned over and kissed me, this time even deeper than the kiss in the Senate quarters. I asked for more, as I returned the kiss with equal fervor, and my request was granted. When that ended, I decided to take a risk. "I should like a review of what I've learned about our bond. After all, I might never have a chance to use what I learned again, and I do hate wasting knowledge." I looked to see what his response would be.

"Dear Sabé, you need no review. I would like to see what you come up with on your own," he breathed. I felt two car

14. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

After it all, I was more at peace than I had ever been. Now I knew why it was called making love.

When we had rested for a bit, we became aware that we might be called back soon. Fortunatly, a clear brook was nearby, and we refreshed ourselves with the cold water.

I took the makeup kit that was concealed in the waistband I was wearing with my outfit. There was enough to re-apply the disguise once. After I had dressed and replaced the headpiece, I spread the white over my skin. The tiny mirror I had was hardly big enough to check for missed spots, but I could tell I had done fine so far. I took a small brush and miniature tube of red creamy lipstick and prepared to finish with the cheek and lip markings.

Obi-Wan stopped me. Reaching for the brush and cream, he said, "Let me help. Your mirror isn't large enough to really see what you need to." I gladly handed the supplies over to him, turning towards him to make the task easier.

It was hard to stop the big smile that seemed to come with no effort to me now. Obi-Wan scolded,"How can I get this straight working around a big wide grin like that," not bothering to hide his own pleasure and amusement.

"So now, Jedi are also makeup artists, as well as protectors and waiters," I commented, then calmed my expression so he could place the two red dots on my cheeks.

He finished the dots, and hesitated before he moved on. "And lovers. Don't forget lovers. We serve many needs, Lady." That gleam came back into his eyes.

I laughed out loud. "That, my dear friend, is something I shall never forget."

Then a cloud passed through my mind, changing my mood. It was as if I was feeling a foreboding of tradgedy to come.

He saw my face and that stilled his enjoyment of the moment also. "What is it, Sabé? Are you having a premonition? It happens this way sometimes."

"Will you do something for me?" I asked seriously, quietly.

"If I am able to," he promised, matching my demeanor.

"When this is all over, just before you leave Naboo, tell me goodbye. You've played an important part in my life. I'll need the closure."

He seemed surprised at my request. I couldn't quite tell what he thought of it. He looked down, as though collecting his thoughts before responding. I didn't want to test the mental bond, so I watched for his reaction.

After a moment, he looked into my eyes. "Is goodbye what you want?"

I reached out to touch his right hand. "Of course not, Obi-Wan. In a perfect galaxy, we'd all survive this conflict. You and I could continue a relationship or at least stay in touch, and everyone would live happily ever after. I have to be a realist and understand that this may not come to pass. Trust me and know that the feelings I have for you are true. See for yourself." I removed the shields completly and let him in.

Slowly, cautiously, gently, he entered my mind. He found the way I saw him and how I cared for him, enough to let him go, if that was what he needed. He dared to show of himself , I gasped to see what he felt for me.

When he withdrew, I felt as though the confusion concerning me was melting away, replaced by a new resolve. He took the hand I had on his, touched it to his lips. "There may be a way to avoid goodbye," he stated. "We'll see what we can find out after the battle, all right?"

I nodded in assent. "Now we must finish your mask," he noted. Dipping the brush in the red cream, he smoothly applied the upper lip fully with color and decorated the lower lip with the Scar of Rememberance. I thought to myself how lucky I was to be painted by him and how the slight tickle of the brush grazing against my lips could have led to more, if only we had the time.

The Jedi tilted his head, as if hearing something distant. "Master Jinn tells me that he and the Queen wish to see us," he said, as he finished the final touches on me. First, you are to meet with Her Highness and Panaka, our briefing will follow. Are you ready?"

"Yes," I answered. He took my hand and

15. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

Our attack began as soon as the droid army was away from the city. It was amazing how the pieces seemed to fall into place. This was the kind of thing we had all been trained to do, but never expected to come to pass.

When we got to the square, we started the diversion. I stayed with Panaka and the Queen went with the Jedi as her defense. A few moments later, when the outdoor squad of droids was taken care of, we entered the hangar. I was in time to see two fighters take off. One went down. My heart dove for one second, then I was back in the moment, in the mission.

My group helped take down the remaining droids, which enabled more pilots to man their fighters. I watched them go, and my hopes went with them.

We all gathered in one squadron, and moved to enter the palace. Then our way was blocked by the menacing red and black creature I'd heard of.

//Sith!// I heard from both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. They intended to take him on. Amidala and all of the handmaidens stood their ground. We would not let him intimidate us. But Qui-Gon moved forward, and firmly announced that he and his padawan would handle this. I was loathe to leave them, but the Queen realized that it was the best course of action, even though she was unhappy about it herself. I wanted to send them my concern, but since it might break their concentration, I refrained. I hoped they knew how I felt, even without the contact.

Another obstacle then appeared. Destroyers were in the hangar, and had began firing. Some of our men went down, and I took a hit. I fell back into Panaka's arms, and he pulled me out of the line of fire.

"How are you?" He looked scared for me. Fortunatly, only the wind was knocked out of me. I recovered in moments. Looking up, I saw Rabé leaning over Rowan. Gathering myself and pulling away from Panaka, I grabbed him and helped Rabé pull him to a safer area.

We examined him. His injury was worse than mine but not fatal. It did mean that he was out of the battle. He would have to risk hiding here, and hope no other droids would find him before we got back. While I covered them, Rabé and Rowan exchanged a few words, then a kiss before we had to return to the fray.

We had no idea how we were going to get past the destroyers. The Force found a way though-through Anakin. Suddenly, the fighter he was in rose and quickly tore apart the droids with its firepower. It then took off. I bit my lip, hoping this child would be as lucky now as in the pod race.

We moved on, through the hallways. At this time I dropped back, with a few of the group staying with me. The most trusted and the best marksmen were going to remain under my leadership until Amidala's plan called for us. Saché and Yané were to head to the computer contol center and program some new instuctions that would help the pilots in their fight against the Federation's ship. They would remain there to guard that area.

My group went accompanied me along our planned route. We cut down any droids we encountered along the way. I had to wait for the Queen's signal, before I used the next set of passageways to make a quick trip to the throne room for our party. At last it came, and I led us to the door that would get us there.

Then the unthinkable happened. Qui-Gon was struck down. I felt Obi-Wan's heartbreak the moment he fell.

I was overwhelmed with Obi-Wan's shock, his utter horror, the cry of his denial in my mind. I almost buckled at the knees, it was so strong. A couple of the guards with me caught me, and asked if I was alright. I nodded, and stood back up, though I was a bit shaky for a few seconds.

Then, Obi-Wan cut me off, completely. Had I not been in a struggle of my own, to carry out the plan to lead the battle droids from the Queen, I would have run to him, to try to fight off the dark creature he was facing, alone now.

With great effort, I arrived at the Throne Room, made the announcement to the Viceroy, fired two quick shots to take down the droids at the door. Then we r

16. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ cont.

I did as she said, got out of the Queen's outfit I'd been wearing during the battle, washed off the white face and donned a fresh working uniform. Panaka assigned me to supervise a detail that was clearing the palace and surrounding grounds, just as I requested. It comforted me to be working here and staying busy.

While we made progress, a young member of the guard approached me. "Sabé Uzza?"

"Yes," I said.

"Your father sent me to give you a message. Your mother has been located. She is ill and under the physician's care. He requests that you join him as soon as your shift is over. They are in the infimary outside the Palace grounds." He saluted me, and left.

I didn't want to ask a special favor of Panaka, but I needed to find out from him when I could see Mother. I activated the comlink.

"Panaka here."

"Handmaiden Sabé, Captain. With your permission, sir, when may I be released to go see my mother?"

"She's been found? That's good news. You've already put in more than enough time. Delgate your crew to the next ranking officer and you may go."

When I got to her bedside, I found things weren't quite as bad as I had feared. She was weak from dehydration and malnourishment, but with time and care, she would recover. I sat by her bedside and gave her water through most of the night.

The next evening, as I was finishing the job, Amidala approached me. She was bringing the R2 unit, and waving at me. I stopped my work and walked to meet her.

"Sabé, I have a message for you. I didn't want to say anything about it before now, since I couldn't be sure if I would be able to fulfill Qui-Gon's last request. R2 has returned safely to us and is ready to complete this task."

"A message? Why would Qui-Gon leave a message for me?" I was taken completly aback by this. The Jedi Master and I had only briefly exchanged words.

"I don't know, but he told me to be sure that it was delivered to you and you were to see it alone. I'll send Ani to collect R2 later," Amidala told me, then she slipped away.

"Come with me R2, we need privacy." The little droid followed me, beeping and whistling softly the entire way. I found it soothing somehow that it was R2 who was here, not another person to destroy the private moment. We found a secluded spot surrounded by native trees. I needed to hear the news in this kind of setting, where I felt best. I settled down, and said, "I'm ready."

A hologram of Qui-Gon appeared. He bowed. "Lady Sabé, since you are watching this, I am not able to speak to you in person. That means that I cannot give you all the answers to the questions you are going to have. That is unfortunate, for you do deserve the answers. I will try to cover as many of them as I can in this message. I have sensed that you have a gift in your newly discovered powers of the Force. They have been latent in you all your life, and were awakened in your contact with Obi-Wan. It is regrettable that you will not be trained in the Jedi arts. You would have excelled in that discipline, I can tell. I believe that it is the will of the Force for you to contribute in other ways, ways that will test you and that you will have to face alone. By now, it is quite probable that Obi-Wan has cut you off. Please try not to be angry with him about this. He will be mourning my loss, dealing with accepting Anakin, and awaiting a decision from the council about his status. Because of his uncertainty, he will think the best course of action is to leave you with no ties to bind either of you. I advise you to let him be for the present. When the Force does wish to bring you together, as I trust it does, this will come about. There are no accidents and only good will come from this relationship, even if we don't see how. There are many things that you can teach each other, when he is ready. "

The message continued. "I must urge you Sabé, to keep your gifts secret for now. I have left in this R2 unit some of the texts I carry with me. Take the information,

17. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    SJ conclusion

Our victory parade was a few days later. It was an elaborate celebration, many dignitaries were present. In an earlier time, I would have been enthralled with the spectacle, as excited as many of the children that waved flags, clapped with the music, and just enjoyed life. As it was, I was numb. Between my job, the extra hours of service that were required, the funeral for Qui-Gon, and caring for my mother through her illness, I was exhausted. Then there was the matter of dealing with my feelings for Kenobi, an issue I was putting off thinking about for as long as possible.

Almost immediatly afterwards, it was time for the Jedi to leave. That included Kenobi, and now Anakin. As they moved to board the ship with the rest of the council, Anakin stopped halfway up the ramp. He turned and sought out Amidala. They had exchanged private goodbyes earlier, but Ani had to get one last shot. His wave and rogueish grin was very charming and the Queen responded with as big a smile as she could muster.

Kenobi turned only when he noticed his Padawan Learner was no longer by his side. He seemed annoyed that Ani had stopped, and was urging him to come along. His gaze followed Ani's line of sight to see what had the boy's attention. When he realized it was the Queen, he bowed slightly in her direction. For a split second, Obi-Wan averted his gaze to me. Our eyes met, but he quickly shifted and turned away. He patted Ani's back, moved him up the ramp. The ramp drew up, and then they were gone.

My chin lowered just slightly. Only the Queen caught that, only she would have noticed.

"Are you alright?" She asked, whispering. Her lips barely moved. We had gotten very good at this, communicating deep feeling between ourselves without anyone else realizing it.

"He didn't say goodbye," I answered, in the same manner. With that, I admitted to her what I would have to no one else- that it mattered to me.

"He looked back. The game's not over yet," Amidala stated.

"Yes, your Highness," was all I could say. I wasn't about to debate the point with her. I thought that part of my life was over, and I should prepare to go on, to forget all about the Jedi Knight.

That proved easier said than done.

It was six weeks after our victory celebration. I was in my place at Amidala's side. The session for Court was almost over. It had been a long day, and I was tired. I was feeling that way more often lately, unusally so. The Queen had noticed and sent me to her personal physician. I got the news from him that morning.

There was no question of what I had to do. I wrote my resignation letter, informing Panaka and the Queen of my intention to leave my post as handmaiden. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, giving up this job. But soon, I would not be able to fulfill my duties. It was best for all that I leave.

As the session was closed, various dignitaries, attendants, and members of the Naboo court were dismissed. The handmaidens were the only ones left with Panaka and Amidala. The Queen usually dismissed us at this point and I was looking forward to leaving and getting back to our quarters to pack.

The Queen announced, "Sabé, I wish for you to stay. All other handmaidens are free for the day." The other four women filed out. As they passed me, I saw the question in their eyes. It would be difficult to leave them, too. We had become friends, not just a squad in service to the Queen. Even Eiraté and I had started relating to one another. It seems I had won her respect with my performance during the battle.

When they had exited, I faced Panaka and Amidala. I bowed to the Queen, and saluted the Captain. "How may I serve you?"

Amidala, still acting in her offical capacity, stated, "We will not accept this resignation without a good reason, Handmaiden."

Panaka interjected, "Sabé, what's wrong? Did your mother have a change of heart and pressure you to do this?"

I swallowed hard at the mention

18. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    "Choice"
    by JazzyJedi LA (Crescent Jedi)

Disclaimer: Most characters in this are property of Lucasfilm. Hasin and Raisa Uzza are my creations. Favianne is a name I picked for an extended universe character known as The Dark Woman. It's not canon, I felt that she needed a name that a friend or peer would use. As always, no money is made from this story, it's for fan enjoyment.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

"Push, Sabé!"

Gathering all her strength, Sabé gave a loud yell, and pushed hard, one last time. She was sure that was as much as she could do, and fell back, exhausted. Amidala leaned over her, and wiped the sweat from her brow. The Queen glanced to the side, then broke into a joyful smile.

"It's over. The baby's here- you did it!" A piercing cry broke the air. "A girl," Amidala announced.

Sabé, still catching her breath, asked, "Ten fingers and ten toes?"

The doctor looked the infant over quickly. "She appears to be perfect and healthy, Minister."

"Thank the Gods," Sabé breathed.

----------------------------------------------------------

Obi-Wan Kenobi was doing his paperwork at day's end. This was the part of the job he hated most-
    documenting everything he was doing in training his Padawan. He didn't remember Qui-Gon having to do that with him, but then again, he was never The Chosen One.

He leaned forward and dug his fists into closed eyes. He sighed, glad this task was almost over. Attempting
    to recall the day's events, he tried to remember if there was any detail he could have missed. Suddenly, he was distracted by a sharp noise. It sounded for all the world like a baby's cry, distant, but not, at the same time. One thing was certain-it was too loud. The quarters were nowhere near the nursery, so it had to be a holovid. He wondered what on Coruscant Anakin was thinking, playing the thing at that volume this time of night. Annoyed, he got up to complain and command the boy to turn the vid down.

When he rose, the sound stopped, but he made his way into the other small bedroom to warn Ani to keep it low. When he got there, the boy was at his workbench, building some device.

Obi-Wan scowled. "Ani, I know this is your leisure time, and I don't mind that you're watching a vid, but keep the noise down, it's too late at night for that," the Jedi declared.

Anakin turned from his project, puzzled. "Master, I don't know what you mean. I've been working on this ever since we got back from practice. I haven't had a vid on at all today."

Obi-Wan could see the boy was sincere. He regretted his haste in rushing to blame Anakin for his hallucination. "I'm sorry, Padawan." He shook his head. "Perhaps your Master has been working too hard. I'll talk to you later." He then turned to go back to his room. Strange, he knew he had heard something. He was going to have to meditate more....

------------------------------------------------------

Sabé felt she had spent enough time in the hospital. Even though the room was brightened by flowers and greetings from her parents, Bibble, Panaka and his staff, the Queen, and the handmaidens, it was not where she wanted to be. She was ready to return to her little apartment near the Theed palace. She had taken full advantage of this perk that came with her promotion to Minister of Recruitment and Training of the Queen's Guard. In the last few months, she had taken the dull and barren set of rooms and transformed it into quite a cozy nest for herself and her baby .

From her place in the bed, she looked over at her tiny girl, sleeping in the bassinet. Even with all of her preparation, she knew this to be the biggest challenge she would ever face. She just hoped that she could do justice to this life that she was privileged to guard for awhile.

A middle aged , matronly nurse entered the room, carrying a datapad with forms to fill out. The woman smiled, "Good day, Minister Calle. Looks like we'll be able to get you out of

19. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    "Choice" cont.

Sabé and Hasin found a quiet place in the mostly deserted atrium. Settling down, she waited patiently for the explanation.

"We've never spoken of this because it causes your mother great distress," Hasin began, keeping his voice low. "You are not our first child."

Sabé's mouth fell open in surprise. All her life, she had been an only child, never had she known of a sibling. There had never been talk of another, no pictures, no sign of any kind. She was too shocked to speak.

"We removed all signs of him after his death. This is the first time I've mentioned him in years. Your mother blames herself, even though it's not her fault. There's nothing anyone could have done."

"Please tell me more about my...," she struggled to get the word out, "brother?"

Her father smiled sadly. "We had him a few months after the wedding. But Nathell was born sickly. He had good days, and bad days, the bad days became more frequent, and his little body gave out. His illness came from a genetic lethal disease that your mother carries. She never wanted to try again, feeling that she was cursed, even though the doctors said there was a good chance of a healthy baby.

"So you didn't expect me," Sabé stated.

"When we were surprised by you, she was tested and all the signs were positive. You were carried to term and we kept you. I'm sorry that we hid the facts from you, but I think you've fulfilled your potential very well without becoming a Jedi. Naboo needs you more as you are. We need you, daughter." His voice was shaking. It was the first time Sabé had ever seen him so emotional.

She shook her head, "I'm sorry. I just found out about the taboo on giving children to the Temple. I didn't know you'd gone through the pain of losing a baby already. I understand now. I'll apologize to Mother." She paused, and reflected. "That's why she wanted to plan a 'safe' life for me."

"I think so," Hasin answered. "Ready to go back?"

She nodded

When they entered the room, Raisa looked up and cuddled the baby protectively. "What are you going to do, give her to the Jedi?" she asked.

"Not yet, Mother. I'll be fair and warn you, that may change,"Sabé told her. "For now, we will be together with you."

"Then we'll make the best of each day as it comes." Hasin said. They left it at that.

The next morning, Amidala and Rabé showed up to help Sabé and Meira go home. When they got there, the other handmaidens were waiting, and an impromptu "welcome home" party was thrown. The small quarters were decorated with pastel streamers and signs, and a cake was cut. Sabé was relieved to see that meals for two weeks had been prepared and set in the preservation unit. All the women took turns cooing and playing with the new arrival. Gifts for mother and baby were presented, with the standout being a miniature flame handmaiden dress, made by Yané.

"What am I going to do for you all?" Sabé laughed. "There's no way I can ever match this!"

"You can take it easy on us if you ever impersonate the Queen again," Saché replied.

Soon Amidala could see that mother and child were tiring. She could also tell by Sabé's non verbal signals that she wanted to talk to her alone. So she began breaking up the party, sending the handmaidens off to various assignments, till finally it was the two of them.

After putting Meira down for a nap, Sabé came to the Queen. "Your Highness, do you think there'll be a trip to Coruscant soon?"

Amidala wrinkled her brow in thought. "I hadn't planned one, but do you have need to go? I'll help you."

"I do have need. There are facts I must know before I make the choice for Meira. I feel the Jedi Library is the only place I will find them."

"A research mission then. I'll contact Bibble, he'll get the wheels in motion."

Sabé bowed her head, "Thank you, Your Highness."

Amidala stood up, preparing to depart. She put on her coat, then hesitated. " You know we all love that little girl, and I'm looking forward to becoming a Godmo

20. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    "Choice" conclusion

The next four and a half months went by quickly. Sabé worked with Panaka to train two new handmaidens. She and Saché planned a mission that would take place while she would be gone. There was the usual everyday duties of checking all the recruits, their references and processing the data. During this time, Sabé gathered more information on what it took to make a Jedi.

The day came to board the transport. There was some hustle and bustle around the platform generated by the many passengers from different worlds. Naboo was the last stop before all the dignitaries went on to the capital.

Sabé checked the carrier to ensure that Meira was safe and secure. She looked around for a familiar face . She wanted to be discreet, but she had hoped a friend or two would come to see her off. Shrugging, she grabbed the handle of the bag that contained the carry on luggage, picked up the baby and began walking up the ramp.

"Wait Minister, we're coming too," a voice shouted. Sabé turned around. Rabé and Rowan were hurrying to join her.

"How did you get on this trip?" Sabé asked, astonished.

"You don't think you're going to get out of here without company, do you?" Rabé smiled. "We're due for a mission ourselves, thank you."

"And your mission would be....?"

"Security for the Minister and her daughter, of course," Rowan answered.

Sabé was relieved. The time in transit and on the planet would now be tolerable.

When they got to Coruscant, they waited until the rest of the passengers had exited. Since most were higher profile representatives, cameras were broadcasting their arrival. Sabé sent Rowan out to check out when the journal droids had departed. It wasn't long before his return.

They were met by an assistant from interim Senator Sio Bibble's office. The young man hurried them along, getting them to the Senator's chambers in record time. Upon the sight of the four, Bibble greeted them with cordial enthusiasim.

"It's good to see friends from home. I'll be glad when the elections are finally held and I can return to Theed," he exclaimed. "And what a lovely baby you have, Sabé. The nanny is ready and available as soon as you settle in."

"It shouldn't be long before your return. We have recovered well enough to allow elections to take place soon," Rabé reassured him.

"We miss you too," Sabé said. "But for now, I'm glad you're the one who's here. Are the arrangements in place?"

"It's all been prepared. Do you want to take care of the documentation now? I have it on my desk."

Sabé nodded. She looked at her two friends. "Will you do the honors?"

They both nodded back. All proceeded into the inner office. Meira started getting a bit more vocal since she was waking up from the trip. Rabé helped distract her while Sabé went over what she had to sign.

"A forged Marriage certificate. I never even spoke with this man. I hope he wouldn't have minded too much," Sabé sighed regretfully. She signed.

Rowan leaned over and added his signature as a witness. "Baris was a good man. I don't think he would object to helping you under these circumstances."

Rabé passed the baby back to her mother, so she could sign as a second witness. The document was copied, and a data crystal presented to Sabé.

"There, that makes me socially acceptable, I suppose," Sabé said, tucking the crystal away. "Thank you, Senator. We'll get settled in and meet you for dinner tonight." They bowed at each other and parted.

The next morning, when the nanny for Meira had arrived, Sabé began the second phase of her task. She located the Jedi Temple Library on the map, and found it wasn't far away. Rowan and Rabé gave her an intense look as she departed. She sensed their question.

"You'll know when I know."

"Minister Calle, doing research for Her Majesty, Queen Amidala of Naboo," Sabé said, introducing herself to the Jedi Temple Librarian. She handed her inden

21. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    "Conspiracy"
    By JazzyJedi
    (Takes place before,during and after "Choice")

Saché shuffled into the Royal Chambers, faded red fuzzy slippers scuffling the floor as she entered. The hood of her forest green gown was still down, her hair was an uncombed mess.

She yawned loudly, drawing attention from every girl in the room. Eirtaé and Yané frowned, Rabé rolled her eyes in mock despair, and Sabé put her finger to her lips, then pointed to her three month old daughter in her arms. Amidala, still under the expert ministrations of Rabé's deft fingers, could only shift her eyes in the mirror to watch what was taking place behind her. The Queen tried not to let a grin show through, knowing it would only encourage Saché to continue such misbehavior.

Eirtaé jumped up and immediately began fussing. "Saché! You're not nearly ready! We go to court in just a few minutes." She straightened the velvet folds and arranged them as the patterns indicated.

"Taé-Taé, would you relax? Rabé's not done with the Queen's hair yet. I've got plenty of time."

Saché chewed for a moment, then a large pink bubble emerged from her mouth. The other girls watched with apprehension as it grew in size, expanding until it threatened to burst and cover her face with sticky goo. When it seemed that the gum could stretch no further, she inhaled it all back safely into her mouth.

The young women's eyes widened in amazement. Saché merely shrugged modestly.

"You know I hate it when you call me 'Taé-Taé'," the blonde groaned. Her pale skin reddening, she turned to the Queen.

"Your Highness, may I be excused for a moment?"

"Yes, you may, " Amidala replied seriously. Her eyes were the only sign of her reluctant amusement.

The moment Eirtaé had left, Saché reached into her bag, grabbed a tissue, and removed the gum, pitching it into the wastecan. She retrieved the shoes that matched her gown, and replaced the old slippers.

Yané tilted her head and studied her cohort. "Why do you aggravate her so?"

"Because she's so aggravating. I know how to act, and what to do and say while on duty. You'd think we've been together long enough now for her to notice that. She should trust me. When we're not on display, we're entitled to relax. We are all still young, after all. Let's live a little!"

Sabé shifted the baby to a new position in the crook of her arm. "Be careful when you live a little, Saché. You may get more than you bargain for." Her tone was slightly stern, even though was smiling.

"Meira Girl," Saché exclaimed as she bent down to play with the child. She lowered her voice so that only Sabé and the baby could hear her. "Don't you worry. Your mommy doesn't regret you for a minute. If she were gonna give you up, you'd be in a Temple nursery right now."

Sabé scowled. Almost whispering, she replied, "My love for my daughter doesn't allow you to live recklessly. Learn from my experience, Saché."

Saché winked at her friend, then rose and turned to address everyone in the room. "So, speaking of living a little, who wants to go out tonight?" Noticing that Rabé was finishing her work on Amidala, Saché sidled up next to the Queen, using a bit of the mirror to arrange her own hair.

"Your Highness, don't you think it's time to let Padmé come out and play?"

Amidala gave her an understanding glance. "You've found someplace new, haven't you?"

"Haven't been there yet, the word on the street is it's the place to go. I overheard a couple of young men speak of it. I caught only bits of the conversation, but it sounds like the latest rage!"

"I'm sorry, I can't go tonight. My parents are going to be in town this evening and I'd have to get up early tomorrow anyway."

Saché shrugged, then scanned the rest of the room. "Anybody?"

Yané sighed. "All right, after my lesson with the Healer, I'll join you. How much do you know about this place? Are you sure it's safe?"

"It'll be fine," Saché responded. "Even if it gets a little rough, we can handle it. We are Naboo's Finest!"

Yan

22. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    "Conspiracy" cont.

Saché wandered the side streets of Theed, taking a roundabout way to the club. A cool breeze was coming from the direction of the river. As she passed the shops, the fragrances wafted out of the doorways and she caught each scent during her stroll. This was one of her favorite little alleyways, and even if she were blindfolded, she could tell where she was by each distinctive aroma or sound. A candy shop was making fresh pralines with nuts, the warm, sweet smell drifting through the screened window. The florist was next, with his seasonal blooms bearing a pleasing fragrance. Music floated from another open doorway, the lazy melody exhilarating and soothing at once. The young woman smiled with contentment. She did love the Queen and her job, but private time like this was necessary to refresh her soul.

Her winding walk took her near some street vendors. She veered from her path to see what each stall had to offer. She found such things as decorative beads, incense, and knickknacks of all kinds. She browsed, nodding at each merchant, but only giving a quick glance at the merchandise.

She stopped when she came to a booth with many colors of scarves among the offerings. She looked at her street clothes and suddenly felt the formfitting black outfit, while smart, seemed too plain. It could do with a hint of color, something that would catch some young man's eye.

As she looked over the items, a streak of red stood out against the more somber shades that surrounded it. It seemed the perfect choice. "May I have that red scarf?" she asked, stretching to point it out.

The middle-aged man smiled, and glanced in the direction indicated. His eyes narrowed slightly. "Are you certain you want that one, Milady?"

"Yes, please. Let me see it," she pressed. "I'd like to try it with this outfit. The color is so eye-catching."

"That it is, Milady, but perhaps you should try several others before you make up your mind. The blue here, now that's classy, too," he stated, pulling down another piece of fabric.

Now annoyed, Saché's tone grew more insistent. "No, I want the red. The color will suit me just fine. Now, please let me have it and pay you, so I can be on my way. I have to meet some friends in just a few minutes." She hesitated, thinking perhaps she had been too short with him. She tried a different approach. "Red's my flag color and it'll show that I mean business." She added a wink to win him over.

To her great surprise, he warmed up immediately. "Ah, I see now," he replied, and winked back. "Very well then, Milady, the red is what you shall have." He handed it over with a flourish.

Saché drew herself up with satisfaction at her victory. She took the offering with a dainty wave and smiled as she handed over the payment. She tied the scarf around her neck, flashed one last smile at the vendor and moved on.

As she got within sight of the club, she saw she wasn't the only one who wanted to try the place out tonight. There was a crowd milling around in front of the stone facade of the entrance, and there seemed to be no established order yet as to who got in or how.

Saché stood on tiptoes and looked the scene over. There was no sign of Rabé or Yané. She checked the chronometer and saw the hour was a bit early yet, so she had no reason to be concerned.

Three handsome men, near to her age, strolled by. Saché's reaction was to observe carefully. They appeared unattached, and were laughing casually among themselves. The odds had never looked better outside the Palace, so she fell in behind them until they stopped for a moment to look in a shop window, then she made her move.

"Excuse me," she said, flashing her most fetching smile. "This is my first time here. Can you show a girl how to slip inside?"

The three men turned at her question. As soon as they saw her, their eyes grew wide. One, brown haired and boyish looking, recovered quickly. He returned her smile with a warm one of his own.

"Indeed we can, Milady. I mus

23. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    "Conspiracy" cont.

As he guided Saché to a seat in the first row, her companion spoke to her cordially. "It was very smart of you to pick me out of the crowd. Not too many know me yet, but they will. When the rightful Queen is on the throne and that elected impostor is back on the farm, everyone will be thanking me. Now, you sit right here and we'll talk after the meeting."

As he took the stand, the room darkened, the lone spotlight shining on him, giving him a warm glow.

"Gentlemen and Ladies, I'd like to thank you for coming tonight. I'm Dunyan, and I'd like to talk to you more about why we're here. How many of you are satisfied with how Queen Amidala has handled the affairs of our world? You all know she is about to seal a deal with the Gungan race for a trade alliance."

Many in the room hissed, or even cried out. A voice from the back yelled, "A real ruler would have never left us open to invasion in the first place! That's when we had to turn to the frogs!"

Saché heard other phrases of discontent. A couple of them even seemed to suggest violence. Fear grew within her, fear for her Queen and herself. She played along with the crowd, knowing it was the only way she would be allowed to leave unharmed.

At the more radical of the suggestions, the charismatic leader shook his head benevolently. "Now, we're not advocating that, at least not yet. It is my hope that this can be done without that kind of drastic action. We are a peaceful people at heart, and I intend to see that peace continue if at all possible, while we carry out our mission. We simply want to see the proper sovereign ruling, not a frog lover who does business with the Gungans. We don't need their help, we can govern our own trading. This proposed alliance will do nothing but take money from our pockets. With your help, we can remove Amidala and let her return to her role as a private citizen."

Someone shouted out, "Who would rule? You, Dunyan?" Applause accompanied that proposal.

He assumed a humble air. "Me? I'm not worthy, nor would I ever suggest such a thing. We have found the rightful heir to the throne, her line traces back unbroken to the last member of the true Royal Family. She wishes to claim her birthright and lead us to become a stronger planet."

Saché chanced a question of her own. "Who is the rightful Queen? When do we get to see her?"

Dunyan saw it was Saché who had spoken and smiled directly at her. In other circumstances, that would have melted all her resistance, but here and now, it chilled her to the bone. She kept up her front, and waited for his answer.

"A fair question. Right now, we must keep her identity hidden for her own protection. I promise you, once the time is right, and it's safe, we can announce her in the fashion she deserves."

Saché went numb after that. She heard many slanderous things about the Gungans and Amidala, but tried to block them out so that she could get through the experience without giving herself away. A part of her wished to jump to the podium and tell these people how wrong they were, but of course that would do no good.

After what seemed ages, the meeting was finally adjourned. She got out of her seat, hoping to slip away from Dunyan before he could single her out and speak to her further. He was delayed by people wanting to speak to him, so she thought she might have a chance.

She exited the back room with the group, her nerves screaming, sick to her stomach. She prayed that she was retaining the outward signs of composure.

A stranger from the crowd leered at her and smiled. "Hey, they said we should act casual. How about a drink? I don't need to run off right away."

Saché nodded and flashed a half smile back. "Sure."

Those who had been in the meeting started spreading out a bit and gravitated toward the bar to chat. Saché sipped her drink and made innocuous remarks in response to whatever she was asked. Whenever she could, she looked for the other handmaidens, hoping that they had been able to get in.

24. JazzyJedi

Jul 7, 2000
    "Conspiracy" cont.

As soon as they had returned safely to the Palace, Saché alerted Panaka of an imminent threat to her Highness.

"We need to have a meeting immediately, Captain," Saché insisted.

"This time of night? Are you sure?" he responded slowly. It was clear he had been roused out of a sound sleep.

"Right now, Captain! This is of the utmost urgency. I can't speak of it over the com. I'll see you in the Throne Room as soon as possible. The other handmaidens and Minister Calle will be joining us."

As it was the middle of the night, no one was in uniform. Saché, Eirtaé and Yané were first to the meeting place. Amidala showed up with her hair down, and in casual robes, accompanied by Rabé. Sabé carried Meira and settled in one of the seats reserved for the Queen's advisors. She and her daughter were trying hard to stay awake. Panaka was last, stomping in, his annoyance very clear.

"Saché, please begin," Amidala requested.

As Saché related what she had heard, the other women in the room gasped. Sabé instinctively cuddled Meira in a protective gesture. Panaka began pacing frantically, even more so than during the Trade Federation's invasion. The Queen remained cool and in control, analytical of the situation, as was her manner.

"A threat from within--from our own people," Panaka fumed.

"Just a few of them," Sabé pointed out. "We know that the majority are in favor of the Queen's administration. Perhaps this is leftover frustration from the Federation's occupation and will burn itself out. We must take precautions in any case. Your Highness, I suggest that we train additional handmaidens, at least two more. One to take my former position, and a sixth, to add to the rotation. We cannot afford to let your bodyguards be anything less than fully alert while on duty."

Amidala nodded in agreement. "Captain, you and Minister Calle look into that, first thing in the morning. Saché, did you get the feeling that this movement is contained, or does it seem to go beyond Theed?"

Saché thought for a moment and shrugged. "Your Highness, it's hard to say. I regret that I allowed my emotions to cloud my observation skills at that time. I ask your forgiveness."

Amidala smiled to reassure her. "It's understandable, given the situation you found yourself in. But prepare to put your fears aside, handmaiden. We will require you to return to this place. You are in the unique position of having gained their trust. You will have to be Our eyes and ears and gather as much information as you can. Only then can We ascertain if this Faction is truly a threat."

The Queen turned to Sabé. "Minister, you and your father are experts in covert tactics. The two of you will take Saché in hand and begin training her as soon as possible."

Sabé inclined her head toward the Queen. "Of course, Your Highness."

Saché fought the misgivings she had and looked at Sabé gratefully. If she could trust anyone to teach her well, it was definitely the Minister.

"The rest of you know what we are to look for. Be on your guard when We are in public. We will discuss this again when more information has come to light. For now, We believe they are not well organized enough to be a major threat to Us, but they are not to be taken lightly. Understood?"

All the handmaidens bowed in agreement.

"Very well, this meeting is adjourned."

TBC

25. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Yay! Up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.