main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JC Forum ELDERS

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The Gatherer, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    how about this sentiment:
    "I have been here and behaved well for 5 years. You can, too."
    It's encouraging members to bore the hell out of the mods by being good posters.

2. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    I'm still waiting for someone to show me who would actually be on this list without naming someone who already has colors/title.

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Not you.

( :) )

4. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    Why not me?

In March I will have been here for 5 years, I could have 10,000 posts by then and I've never been banned.

You came up with the qualifications, did it occur to you that nobody fits it?

5. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    What if we expanded the qualifications just a little and made it only for members with at least 8 years of posting, but no limit on posts?

6. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    What if we expanded the qualifications just a little and made it only for members with at least 8 years of posting, but no limit on posts?

All right, then shouldn't we put this thread on the shelf for 3 years and bring it up then?

7. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    I give you my best comedy, I can't always kill :D

8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    if we could agree just for a moment that these people indeed deserve some sort of destinction from regular users based on whatever criteria

I'd say a registration date that begins with a 9 is pretty distinctive, since there aren't that many floating around these days.

VIP status without colors

I don't think that would work, since almost every forum has its own banner and color-scheme and VIPs have to have some sort of color-scheme.

Blue: Admins / Managers / Mods
    Purple: FanForce Reps
    Red: Official VIP's
    Green: TF.N Staff
    Yellow: JC Forum Elders

That's highly discriminatory against those of us who are color-blind! (I'm joking. Mostly.)

And let's get rid of the ridulous system of giving game winners, etc.. colours.

Why? People like games and I would think most people play the games for colors, since they're the ultimate prize here. What's the harm of a couple of people having them for a day or two every so often?

Amazing.

9. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    If this were to be done, I'd have to agree that number of posts shouldn't even come into the equation. I think the length of time here should be enough. I'm still not sure I think anything should even be done. Just having your registration date shown under your name should be enough to let people know if your an oldbie. Having a title like "JC Elder" or "Oldbie" would just be redundant.

10. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    As someone touched on, having 'VIP's be 'regular colors' (as Sapient desires) is currently impossible the way snowboards works. Not every forum has the same color-scheme, so what looks like 'normal colors' in one forum would be 'colored' in another. Plus, even if that weren't a factor, with the amount of color-scheme changes this place goes through, you'd have to make sure each and every VIP kept up with all of the newest 'normal colors' when you switched, and that could get extremely messy, considering people might not be around to change their color scheme everytime a new background color is adopted.

While Gatherer's idea certainly shows that he's thinking of 'honoring' the 'elders', and is a nice sentiment, there's nothing to say that someone who's only been here 3 years won't stay for another 2, it only means he/she hasn't had the time to do it yet.

Your registration date is visible beneath your username. That tells people how long you've been here. If people respect that kind of dedication, you don't need a title or color to 'honor' them. If others don't respect that kind of dedication, then a color or a title will do little to change their opinion, and in some cases might make them resent these people.

It's a nice idea, but one that will likely cause more un-needed problems and arguments.

And technically, I'd qualify in a few months myself, if you're keeping count of how many people actually qualify.

But, then, I already have 'colors'.

Vertical

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    You're right, Vert. I was typing out a big response and then it clicked what you were saying. A user could reset their colors to match the one's on the Users Online. But if that isn't the color being used in a forum, their name will still stand out. And given that nearly every forum has its own custom settings, there's no way to accomplish this.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes there is. Use a standard drab grey colourscheme for ALL forums!

:D

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Yeah, the truth is the only way it could be done is set ALL forums, both FF and the JC, to the same exact scheme. We won't be doing that.

14. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Yellow: JC Forum Elders

Not everyone looks good in yellow 8-}

Was orange mentioned? It's such a cheery colour. ;)

15. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Yeah, the truth is the only way it could be done is set ALL forums, both FF and the JC, to the same exact scheme. We won't be doing that.

Indeed. 3SA would have to go to war....and then some.

16. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    MAEK ME AN ELDUR!!

17. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I still have got to say that the only people who should have colors are Mods (multicolored), VIP's, Ex-Admin and Game Winners (Red) and FF (Blue). I believe that all game winners shouldn't be able to change the colors. So as of right now I'm not a good example of this, but I think it would be a good idea just to make them keep it the standard.

18. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    With game winners, though, its temperorary, and only lasts a week at most. And you can find out pretty quickly whats going on (if you have enough sense to look). If EVERYONE who was a VIP could change their colors, it would get extremely confusing.

19. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I don't like this idea.

And not because I have less than 10k posts. Really, post count shouldn't come in with something like this. Quality counts - has always counted - over quantity and should be the same here.

Nor because I've been banned. Good members can still be banned people. Accidental or wrongful bans occur and there are times, as when I was baited by Chyren's sock in a PM, when banning is just vicious and shouldn't really indicate a bad person. Most of the people I banned were good folk, but made a mistake or two. If a '98 or '99 poster happened to be banned for a weekend for using a bit of profanity in a canon war or whathaveyou, or spammed a little for a birthday or something, would you really deny them who helped build the JC of whatever this title ends up being?

I think we know who are the 'elders' here - the Niners, those from the TPM days and before. Post counts don't matter and neither do bannings. PreacherBoy, were he still posting, would be an 'elder' because of what he did for the JC, despite the way he left it and the bannings he's been privy to over his tenure.

Hmph. I just don't like this idea. It reaks of color-grabbing, or wanting to appear special - of creating more distinction and jealousy on a board that needs much less of that.

Let our registration dates speak for us. We don't need no stinking colors.

20. MON CAL WARRIOR

MON CAL WARRIOR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 1998
    Also 10000posts, is that counting 'lost' posts from UBB?

I'm still waiting for someone to show me who would actually be on this list without naming someone who already has colors/title.

I know it wouldn't be me.... fascists.

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I don't even believe that the registration dates speak for themselves. I mean if I registered the day I found these forums my date would read December 1999. But I couldn't because at the time, I did not own a computer. I'm sure that holds true for some others also.

Also a person could have registered around TPM time, had a couple hundred posts, and then not post for years. Would you call them an "Elder?"

I can say that when I finally was able to register, I had about 50 to 60 names on my WUL because of almost two years worth of reading their posts. In fact I had abou 300 posts in 5 days because of almost two years of build up. :p People thought I was a sock because I was so familiar with the AOTC forum.

Though in a few years I would qualify for this "elder honor," I think it will only cause more tension on an already stressed out board. Not to mention that in 2 years, the odds are that the traffic on these forums will fall off quite a bit once the Episode III dvd is out. Or so predicted by many.

22. darkmole

darkmole Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    I registered in 99 but switched usernames the following year. I'm sure a lot of people here are not using the names they first registered with, so the whole 'elder' thing would be a bit pointless. I guess I could dust off my old password and strut my stuff as an old-time pre-TPMer ...

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I've been watching this with a mixture of bemusement and head shaking.

Next, we can give elder status to those of us who have been fans from the beginning... way back in 1977. I'm sure that makes me a bigger fan than someone who just discovered the movies through the wonder of VHS... But wait! The actor who plays Darth Vader (Nee Anakin Skywalker) wasn't even BORN until Empire came out... If he ever checked in here, he sure as anything wouldn't warrent special colours now would he? (Yes this is an exageration but I think the whole discussion is rather silly.)

I like the 'oldbie' icons when they are attached to the 9's and 0's... it's a neat little nod but that's all soomething like that should warrent.

24. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    What Breezy said.

I've been here nearly four years, I have over 10,000 posts, and I've been a fan since 1977...but I don't want any colors other than my pretty blue ones unless I'm getting a ban stick to go with them.

The registration date is enough methinks. And anyone who wants to see your post count can just click on your bio.

No need to treat newbies and oldbies differently anyway. A newbie might be highly intelligent and learn quickly while there are some oldbies around here who have been blundering idiots for several years and still are.

25. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    A title might be nice, but anything else is a bit much IMHO.

there are some oldbies around here who have been blundering idiots for several years and still are.

I resemble....err, resent that. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.