main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO JC.N GL Gaming Lounge (NUMBAR 2!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Dan, May 9, 2006.

1. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Ubisoft annoys me. They have a habit of releasing games on multiple platforms, all with the same name, but with plot variations depending on the platform, that may or may not be canon in sequels. That's as if I was to make 3 different movies and give them all the same name, and then when I make a sequel, you won't know which of the 3 versions of the first movie I'm continuing the story from.

With Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, not only are there plot variations, THEY'RE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORIES! But somehow still have the same name. There are four versions of The Forgotten Sands: The 360/PS3/PC version, the Wii version, the DS version and the PSP version, all with completely different premises and plots, taking place in different times and places from one another. It's okay that the style of gameplay and levels are designed differently, but if the story is different too, then nothing is the same, so why give it the same title? It's just misleading. Think of the poor bastard with a PSP or DS or Wii, who buys a hypothetical sequel to The Forgotten Sands, but this time on a different platform, thinking he's gonna play a continuation of the story he played through last year...

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    That has nothing to do with the current topic

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Nothing has everything to do with the current topic.

4. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Video games are never the proper topic in here, that's why we make 1-10 threads per every topic. Where are the mods?!

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, where are they?

Wait, what? Since when? That long, huh?

6. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Over the weekend I participated in the Global Game Jam for 2012 (at the RVCC location in NJ.

The basic idea is you get together as a theme is revealed around the world at the various locations and brainstorm a bunch of different game ideas (video games or board/table/card games) around that concept, but you only have 48 hours to make it and get it uploaded.

So, not a lot of sleep involved (none, for a handful of people who soldiered through all 48 hours without sleep), but still a fun explosion of creative energy to be a part of.

The game I worked on is a humorous 2D top-down adventure game (falling somewhere between Zelda 1 and Fester's Quest in style ;)) called Roth (the theme this year was the ouroboros, which we interpreted as the World Serpent from Norse mythology). You can download the .exe and Gamemaker source code files from the page at that link.

Besides helping with the overall game design and some of the level design, I did almost all the character art designs and sprites in the game (except for the Pikachu monster).

As our idea was ambitious, we did have to scale things back a lot to get something somewhat playable done in time, so it's buggy as hell, but it will run (however, if you have any crash or spawn problems with the game (or jut have trouble getting far in the game, as it's very hard), you can use the undocumented feature of hitting the control key to skip to the next room in the game (if you get a chance, the final boss battle is pretty cool, I think).

A few of us are planning on still developing the game to make it closer to our original, larger ideas, so as any updates get finished, I'll post a link.

8. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    Sonic Generations was half off, so now it's in my house. [face_dancing]

I'm a bit miffed that the complete Back to the Future set isn't sold on disc. At least not to my knowledge. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer physical media. Plus, won't all 5 episodes take up a good deal of HDD space?

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
  10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Every read the moving thread. Make sure you have a private email saved in your profile or your account will be eaten by a grue when we move.

11. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
  12. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Remember when that guy on eurogamer gave uncharted 3 a score of 8/10 and the entire internet exploded?
    I hate my subculture more than I hate myself for being part of it.

13. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    America. Home of the brave land of the free.

14. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
  15. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I'd be excited if I hadn't already played it to death on the Dreamcast.

16. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I played it to death back in the day too, but still massively stoked for this.

(My Dreamcast is boxed up somewhere, so not having to drag it out of storage will be a huge bonus. Plus, achievements.)

17. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

18. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    You've had a good run, 10005. I'd be your wingman anytime.

19. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Is anyone here? [face_dunno]

20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm back with my new name! Because my old name sucks.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm back. Now fall into line.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  22. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Pfffffffffft.

23. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002