main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JC.NGL Open Forum

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Krayt Tion, Mar 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krayt Tion

Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 16, 1999
    The reason this was created is so those Games Denizens who frequently gather to engage in acts of multiplayer mayhem online, known more official as the JC.NGL, can dicuss how they feel about this community of players and how we operate these days.

Comments and Suggestions is what I'm hoping for here.

I'll start us off, the reason for me making this in the first place is that the flow of my Gaming Goodness hasn't been as steady as it use to be with you guys. The games and perhaps even the people get old from time to time. Hosting responsibilities are really starting to wear on me as well.

Things you think need to change in our gaming procedures? Anything you guys would like to put on the table right now? Go for it.

2. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Umm, I don't know.

3. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    Maybe when we play Age of Kings: The Conquerors, we could play RM sometime. Or maybe even pick civs and map? Is that too much to ask? I just want to agree with one damn setting we play under for once.

4. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    Well, I stated part of this in the soc. thread, but I'm tired of sitting around for hours just for ppl to show up, only for the other ppl that are waiting to leave. Lots of time is wasted just waiting for ppl who may not show up. I just wish there was a way to tell if there's a game going on at any given time. *hint, hint*

5. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    Perhaps we could hold weekly / monthly tournaments of AoK / JK / Whatever for bragging rights and something predictable? So my JC.NGL experience isn't limited to hoping people will show up on the weekends but then they don't?

6. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    I think you are all right on the money we need to maximize the time we can play games to include as many people as possible.

7. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    I think something is in order to spice things up, perhaps we should hold a monthly tourney or something to that affect.

Dum you alluded to the IP Boards, yes, they are coming, yet we know they are so far away, and something like that would really help us.

8. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    1)Krayt, some games are starting to get old. JK/MotS for example just isn't as much fun as it used to be for me. But new games are always coming out. In a month we'll have Tribes and Black&White. Not to mention Deus Ex if some of us get it/get it to work. We've got HL and its mods. Battlegrounds should be out in the Fall. We're covered there.

2)The people, however, is a problem. No offense to anyone here, but the same old group is getting a little... boring, I guess. I wouldn't mind more people participating in our events. More recognition would be nice. I always see posts in community about video games... I just don't get it. Do the people at the JC know about us here? Do they know we can no longer be compared to the collecting community? Do they know that we have a passion for not only SW games, but all other licenses and genres as well? I don't know how we'd go about it, but we should try to get some new faces here.

3)I suggested this very thing a few months ago. People either thought the idea sucked and didn't voice their opinions or just ignored it. The idea was basically this:
    -Every week, a "special member" (for lack of a better title) is chosen. This s.m. gets to set up organised games for the week. They make a thread, and post the date, times, games, settings/mods, etc. in there. Poor IA. You know, he suffers through DM every week with us. Sure, majority rules, but he should get to play what he wants with us once in a while. As for the hosting thing, the s.m. could try to arrange for a host ahead of time. If it doesn't work out, that person hosts or someone showing for the game does. The host could (as an option) post details, screens, and recordings of any games. Of course we could modify this idea to be more reasonable or whatever. Just an idea that popped into my head a long time ago.

4)Sky needs to stop CSing so much, howl needs to move to America, Connemara needs to get rid of AOL, and everyone needs 1GHz machines with oc3 connections.

9. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    I'm also wondering what other games we all have. There is really only 1 game we all have, and another that just about all of us have. Maybe if we included more games into our list, it might help.

10. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    In terms of games, damn, it's important to remember we were founded on Star Wars games and that well is really, really running dry.

Yes, I blame LucasArts for a bunch of this. It is an undisputed fact that they are now more committed to the console platforms than the computer, they've been quoted on this.

There are upcoming SW offerings to look foward to, as Dan pointed out, we have 3 upcoming SW games: an RTS, RPG, and the MMORPG. No damn FPS though since the Obi-Wan cancelation; JK was the core and strongest focus of this league of players. These Star Wars offerings are going to be a WHILE in coming.

This became apparent quite some time ago and we eventually began dicussing other games we enjoyed that we could play together; this was basically a natural progression. Yet I see even more now how it appears we are going to have to really look towards other games for quite some time before we get any beloved SW games to bite into and even then we can't be sure they will be fun.

11. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    Furthermore, are we also discovering that our taste in games is much more diverse than we ever thought it could be originally? This is also a concern, though not something that might be able to be remedied.

12. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I'm really hoping that this group doesn't fall apart in the near future. Frankly, my gaming experiences now, while fun, aren't as enjoyable as they were a couple of months ago.

I remember back in the beginning of the summer when I first began to post regularly in this section. The JC.NGL was virtually non-existent. Sure, Krayt had his spork in the veins thread and howl had a CTF thread, but that was really the extent of it. Then, after a few key members started posting more and/or returned, things began to start picking up for the league. We had a great few months there. More than a few, actually-we're going on a half year I think. However, a dark time has settled upon the JCNGL, in my opinion. Games aren't as much fun as they used to be. Do I need a break from all this, or do others feel the same way? Maybe the league has its ups and downs. I wouldn't know, as I haven't been here long enough to see any trends in the league.

In conclusion, I think we need to do *something*. Perhaps, we don't need to, I just need a break from this. Opinions?

13. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I think we should float a raft inbetween america and the UK, so you can get my lag:)

14. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Big CS tournament [face_devil]

15. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    anyway, I can see me stopping playing you guys altogether soon, as no companies work for us poor 56kers, save Valve

16. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Hosting sucks, Krayt.

I might get a job, so I might buy some of these games you people love so much. But I like SW games above all else.

17. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Yah, things are getting a little boring, and predictable. Same AoK setup every week... I for one really enjoyed played RM again.

Maybe we could get things going again when Tribes 2 comes out, or Black & White as Dan suggested.

Personally I never liked CS, so I have no plans to get that.

18. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I think we should pick a clan in swamp em in JK.

19. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I say JK, simply because 99% of us can play it. None of the others have that ability

20. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    But that is getting *so* old...

I really hope Tribes comes out this month, or I'll do something bad.

21. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    "I think we should pick a clan in swamp em in JK."
    I've been trying to beat that idea on our (FBJK and JCNGL) heads for a year now. You guys are worse than the IRS :D in responsiveness and action. Hehheheeheh

4) Sky needs to stop CSing too much

Yeah, I do, but I love it too much :)

And I think that's part of the problem. I play it for a change of action, faces (no offense), and I love the way there are stats so I can improve myself skill-wise.
    My problem is, I start to play when I get home and time just flies and I forget to go out and activate ICQ and by the time I do, it's early morning and no one else is on so I continue.

My schedule's also becoming more erratic (tho not this week, since it's spring break).

Anyway, I'm getting Deus Ex after I get off work, maybe another game. But DE is guaranteed.

Anyway, I apologise for not hanging out with you guys as often, but as someone said, that change of gaming buddies is actually pretty refreshing and the guys at yourmom are excellent to play with, and there's a lot more of them to interact with. Of course I treasure gaming with you guys much more, but that change is still nevertheless, I'm afraid, valuable to me. For now. Phoenix and AA (and maybe Pret) pops in once in a while which adds to it's enjoyment value, and I like the way I can push myself to play better at this game, and have stuff to aim for.

I think the only way I can sort this out is alternate between CS and other games.

Anyway, I remember Pret telling me that qtracker alerted him that was was playing CS in the IP I was playing with. I think I'll look into that to see which other games that will work with. That would help a bunch locating *cough* missing *cough* people *really innocent looking*

I'm still not jaded or anything from any game out there. So I dont care what games we play. My problem is prying me off you-know-what. Maybe if you guys can furnish incentives...

A tourney sounds good. An FBJK/JC.NGL even better, as it's way long overdue and it's the FBJK and my anniversary. It's been a year I've actually tried and been successful at playing JK/MotS multiplayer online.

But formal night/s of playing with a set time etc. might work better for me. I'd host if you want crappy pings. But I think I've fixed most of the stuff with the comp because of the darned virus, but I still have ways to go on clearing stuff up.

I should reiterate, I love you guys :) And don't worry, it's not just you who I've been missing out on, it's the FBJK too. I've been horrible. Please forgive me

22. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    Could use a page, an IP Board, etc? Official rules? More players? Fresh Faces?

I don't know if I'm up for it.

This so-called league has always been informal, although there have been attempts to make it into a clan. But no one really wanted a clan.

I'm just tired. Any time playing is more of a burden than fun I need to step back, examine, and change something.

This isn't working for me. It is too difficulut to have to work to continue playing with people that I once played with, make sure we find a game we all can play, and make sure they are hosted on a good machine. That seems to be the problem with meeting people on a message board and trying to continually game with them.

Basically, I'm really becoming convinced that this league can only really function (even informally) when there is an awesome, relatively fresh Star Wars game we can all enjoy.

23. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Jade so you dont like csing with me? is it cause i kill everyone?

24. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Sorry to hear that, Krayt. I'll stick around til Tribes comes out, then I'll make some decisions. If that can't save us, not many things will. But you're right-we do need a good Star Wars game every once in a while to keep us going. Let's blame Lucasarts.

It would be nice to hear a certain moderator's take on all this.

25. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.