main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JC TAGGED! Official Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JM-Anakin-Solo, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM-Anakin-Solo

JM-Anakin-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    I recently wrote a computer program that will load the JC Boards and allow you to navigate to a thread. Once there you can Archive or Capture the thread if you choose. Archiving the thread will download the file and strip away excess and unimportant html, images, links and other things making the file much more presentable and archiveable.

There are certain authors out there that have 'TAGGED' their fics (TAGGED Authors). If you navigate to one of these threads and double click extract then capture the program will download the thread and delete everything except what has been tagged off. Right now the only threads that have been tagged are a few Fan Fic threads and all that remains after capturing the thread is the actual story. The best part about the tags is that they are invisible to the readers and only viewable by my program.

My goal in creating this program is to allow people to get caught up in fics and other threads when they have been gone for awhile and to make it easy to skip over the non-important chat in between the good stuff. Eventually, I will start giving out the tags to non-Fan Fic threads so that they can tag the important parts of posts. I know of many threads that are 50 pages long but the actual on topic content is only 3 pages... this program could cut out the annoying posts in between and leave only the on topic discussions... if properly tagged.

There are currently two download options:
    Full Setup - For people without the VB Runtime Files... larger download but takes away all the setup hassles.

Just the Executables - Small, fast download for people with the VB Runtime Files. After downloading extract all files to the same directory and you are ready... Tagged.exe is the file to run... not update.exe.

Whatever you choose this will be the official thread for reporting errors and making suggestions. If you would like information on the tagging system please PM me. I offer the program free of charge and free of ads. All I ask for is credit for developing the program. I hope this program will be of some use the the people of these boards. :D

BTW - The tagging system will be used by the 2002 Fan Fic Awards Presenters so that people who miss the ceremony can quickly find the winners of each category without having to sift through many extraneous posts. :D

- Matt

Download TAGGED HERE: TAGGED
    Finally, uploaded to a dependable server.

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm very curious, but how do these "tags" work? And will there be customization options, sorting, etc?

And by the by, those links aren't working :(

3. JM-Anakin-Solo

Mar 18, 2002
    The tags are just special markup codes... the board system translates them to HTML, making them invisible, and my program picks up on them saving only what is in between.

There will definitely be improvements and updates along the way... I've included updating directly into the program. Right now the captured and archived threads are saved as webpages in the folder the exe is in. To open them offline the user has to go to the folder and open them manually. The next update will include an offline viewer for these files and allow for user supplied filenames for the pages.

I wanted to include that in the first version but it slipped my mind and I just wanted to get the program posted... i have been talking about it and recruiting authors for a week or so. And I will definitely consider all suggestions I recieve on how to make the program better. :D This is for you guys to make things on the board easier. :D

- Matt

4. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, my biggest problems are with the registration and outdations of the runtime files. I continually get errors saying my brand new ones (I just downloaded the latest Service Pack from Microsoft) are outdated. I can't run the product.

Now, I am a VB programmer and know how much of a pain it would be to re-write your program, but if any other users have this program, could you create a "lite" version for us that depends only on the basic OCX controls? I'm still trying to get this to work right ~ if only the program will work.

And your ZIP file works fine, but your other doesn't... Try ZIPing the setup executable and then placing that for download. It should and hopefully work :)

5. JM-Anakin-Solo

Mar 18, 2002
    Hmm... the problem with your brand new runtimes is wierd. I can look at making a scaled down version tomorrow... also I'll try to find my VS 6.0 CD and I'll install it on my new laptop. If I recompile fromn there then the OCX's should be the new ones. Do you by any chance know which OCX's are causing the problem? Also which location did you dl from. The members.aol.com location would probably be best for you since you already have all the required files. My guess is that you are probably on XP and the new OCX for the Internet Transfer Control is different.

But like I said... tomorrow I'll take a look at everything and see what I can do. :D

[EDIT]
    The reason the first download doesn't work is because Tripod won't let me link to it. If you manually copy and paste the URL it should download. http://jctagged.tripod.com/TaggedUpload.zip
    [/EDIT]

6. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Actually, I hate XP... I stick with Linux and Windows 98, and I'm trying the program on 98. But I got the files of download.microsoft.com and I tried both files you offered for download. One just didn't work at all. Evil Lycos (I have my complaints against them already... :mad:).

Try recompiling the file and uploading both versions, as well as including the runtimes in the ZIPs. I know it is a hassle for those not on a good internet connection, but it'll keep away from future problems. And when offering the files, offer them all in one ZIP, unlike separate files like you did on the thread in Writer's Resource... preferably ZIP them or create a setup file for them of their own. :)

7. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Same with Carosel, I'm Linux and 98. I'm having the same problem...
    _jOBO

8. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    JM, have you considered making a website with a nice technical support feature such as the ones found in the Windows Help Files? I think that feature would be great. Also, there are many other features I'm sure that would benefit from this program. You could always have the text style customizable, the color for viewing, highlighting features and more (all could be built in textbox/rich text box controls). It would make some threads more comfortable to read :)

9. JM-Anakin-Solo

Mar 18, 2002
    I'll definitely look into it RMCOY. I just downloaded the newest Runtime files but I'm not having any luck finding newer version of the OCX files. If you know a good place to DL them LMK. :)

10. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, none of the ones I found work :(
    I wish it would, though... I want to try this program on for size :D

11. JM-Anakin-Solo

Mar 18, 2002
    I tried downloading the Setup ZIP File I made from Tripod and I see what you are saying. I thought it had fully uploaded... obviously not. I am going to reload the Setup file again and post when they are ready to be downloaded.

12. JM-Anakin-Solo

Mar 18, 2002
    Ok I fixed all the crap with Tripod. Now the full Setup is fully loaded: TAGGED! If you get the Tripod error page then copy and paste the URL instead of clicking the link.

URL: http://jctagged.tripod.com/TaggedUpload.zip

Hope that fixes everything. :D

13. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    The download still doesn't work :( ~ refuses to let me download the file.
    Would you mind emailing the file to me (see profile) and then I could upload it for you? My server allows remote linkings. Or, could you make an HTML page on your site (your TriPod server) that links to the download file? That would fix all the problems.

14. JM-Anakin-Solo

Mar 18, 2002
    Tripod decided to delete my account... I guess remotehosting is against the TOS. I've got a friend who will let me use some of his FTP space at Columbia Univ... but I will email you as well so there can be two dl sites so people don't have to all cram into one. Thx.

15. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    No problem at all. Just let me know which email you sent it to :)

16. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    This sounds like a fantastic idea. Let me check it out! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. JM-Anakin-Solo

Mar 18, 2002
    Tagged has been updated. If you have the older version simply launch the program and select the Update menu then Search for Updates. The program will ask you if you want to download the update, click yes. There is no program bar for the download yet, that will be in the next update, just know that if it says "Downloading..." in the lower left it is working. After it is done downloading it should work on its own but for some reason it crashes after the update. If this happens just restart the program and it should be the new version.

If you don't have the older version click the link above and download from the Columbia University FTP. Then update as described above.

This update improves the interface and simplifies operation will fixing some bugs reported in the old version.

- Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.