main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Can we please cut the crap out of Community?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by GriffZ, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, but k3, that's your personal opinion. I have my opinions on the threads I like and don't, but the JCC is a Community forum. If those threads aren't interesting, they die. I don't think we need to impose some stringent set of rules on the JCC in order to help the quality. Honestly, the users set the quality of the forum. It's up to everyone to try and build the culture - not solely up to the mods to lock things that people don't think are "fun".

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I might be missing something, but was Dashy honestly saying Smelly's thread was locked... and one of the possible reasons for locking it was that it was a parody of his(Smelly's) own previous thread??

EDIT: I need to learn how to type

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Not if he was talking about the locked thread from last night. It was a different author.

And there was plenty of reasons to lock that thread beyond the subject matter..

For example, maybe it wasn't there yet, but I think a case could have been made that it was becoming derogatory toward a certain racial group. It was certainly skating the line at many different points.

4. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    I agree with what Dashy and Kate have been saying: some poop threads are ok...and that means maybe once a week in my mind. Once a day is too much.

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Once a day sounds regular if you ask me.

6. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    you wanna cut the crap out of the YJCC...

Don't make personal comments.

7. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
    Personal comments about other users are not allowed.

The administration of these boards needs to take action to prevent further useless threads and posters like McFly.

Perhaps the idea of making the YJCC a MOD approved thread forum for a time would discourage trolls from starting threads like Shorty's and all the crap threads.

8. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Perhaps the idea of making the YJCC a MOD approved thread forum for a time would discourage trolls from starting threads like Shorty's and all the crap threads.

Not appropriate.

9. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I think what PiaS means is that that is an extremely unfeasible idea.

10. Darth_Smelly

Darth_Smelly Jedi Master star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    and makes useless threads

Geez....almost ALL of the threads in the JCC are useless.

11. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    I think what PiaS means is that that is an extremely unfeasible idea.

smart lad.

12. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    The entire forum is essentially useless, really. We'll lock the inappropriate threads as needed.

13. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    it should be replaced with the Underwater Basket Weaving forum i was promised nearly 2 years ago.

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I cannot honestly believe that people are in here arguing about poop threads. For cryin out loud people, the age limit here is 13. Can't we find something a little better to post about?

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    What's with all the quotas? None of this "once a week" "no once a day" stuff. Let people have fun and if there's a sudden run (Ha, a pun! And a rhyme!) of a certain kind of thread and it's dominating the forum, use the judgement you've been promoted for having and put a stop to some of them. Don't say there can be only one poop thread a week and only one body fart noise thread every other day and a bimonthly vomit thread. There's no way you'll be able to keep up on that. Common sense is all it takes.

And it's not up to mods to determine "quality" because there's no way you'll ever come to a consensus (spam, anyone?). If you think a thread is too low brow, but it doesn't violate the rules, it stays open! It's not your job to lock threads because they don't satisfy your personal criteria for quality.

And lastly, there also shouldn't be one official poop thread. Frankly, there shouldn't be any official threads in the JCC.

Amazing.

16. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    And it's not up to mods to determine "quality" because there's no way you'll ever come to a consensus (spam, anyone?). If you think a thread is too low brow, but it doesn't violate the rules, it stays open! It's not your job to lock threads because they don't satisfy your personal criteria for quality.

quoted for truth.

17. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I agree w/ Amazing B on this. I wish B would come back and replace a certain mod.

I love the Leader!!!

18. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Amazing B is da man!

19. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Oh sure, B is the man, but ignore what I said! [face_not_talking]

20. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    What's with all the quotas?

I don't mean to set actual quotas, but was just illustrating with an example of what I was thinking.

21. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I think the first reply to this thread speaks for itself (unless Katya has edited it already).

22. Sarendipity

Sarendipity Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2004
    Poop threads are a matter of personal taste? Wow. I've heard of "to each his own", but really...

If I were to go spam the forum with OMG JoHNNy DePP!!1! threads, I'd probably get a mod thwapping to be remembered :p Heck, we're only allowed one Party thread, if I read the JCC Rules right.

It's not just poop. There seems to be a contest over who can come up with the most offensive or pointless thread without getting it locked. I've seen far too many threads about "hot girls". Always the same people posting and replying. This thread got to page 5 before it was locked.

Wish I had some suggestions rather than just complaints. Sorry guys.

23. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    That thong thread was locked because of a stupid little spat that a couple users were having. The rest of us who stayed on topic had a great time in that thread, and I was sorry to wake up this morning and find it locked.

I too, however, have a bit of a problem with all the "Hot Girl" threads. They're just not that funny.

24. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    I agree the JCC does have many crazy threads. Some are just created that make no sense. Like for example.."what do you think of me". Yes many dont like the poop threads and when many are created at once, it is a little much. But at the same time, we have one large one and many have gone in and laughed. And thats really the only reason. its stupid humor, but everyone can relate to it and get a quick omg or laugh.

25. Talonah

Talonah Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    Even threads that are created with a perfectly good purpose are spammed and flamed. Like the thread I created - the Elite Posters Club? Barely two pages and there is already spamming and flaming. I've had to PM the JCC mods twice.

Where does it stop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.