main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Discussion about the spoiler policy in YJCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by carmenite42, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Currently, the policy in YJCC about non-starwars spoilers is highlight-to-read. There can be one thread about a show or movie, and in that thread all spoilers must be HTR. I'd like to suggest a move be made to the nature of the thread being decided by the person who starts the thread. If the person who starts the thread wants it to be non-spoiler, then it should be non-spoiler. If, later on, another group of people wants a spoiler thread, they should be allowed to make a spoiler thread as well.

Some people may argue that having both a spoiler and non-spoiler thread on the same tv-show/movie would create unecessary/redundant threads in YJCC. However, it is my belief that if both threads are being used actively by the fanbase, then that means that they're not uncessary.

A little while ago, this became a hot topic of debate because the "Survivor" thread, which had always been non-spoiler, was forced to become HTR. The usual participants of the Survivor thread didn't like this, and ended up migrating to a thread in Aphitheater, where non-spoilers is acceptable. And since then, the HTR Survivor thread has pretty much died.

I think this is a good example as to why two threads are okay. In the case of this show, the majority of the fanbase wants a non-spoiler thread, and the spoiler fanbase isn't enough to sustain a spoiler or HTR thread. If a spoiler and non-spoiler thread had both been allowed to stay in YJCC, it is my belief that the spoiler thread would have sunk, as we saw the HTR thread die, while the non-spoiler thread is still active in the Amph.

I understand the train of thought that this is a starwars message board, so there is little to no responsibility to protect people from non-SW spoilers. However, I do think that the responsibility lies in giving the community what they want, within reason. And, in some cases, the community may want a spoiler thread, and in some cases they may want a non-spoiler thrad. While it's true that in a few cases, they may want both, the majority of the time only one thread (spoiler or NS) would survive.

Thoughts?

2. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    I would say if you dont want to be spoiled for a show , then dont read a thread about what happened on the show .

3. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    If there was a solid, functioning thread in JCC why was a second redundant thread allowed in the Amphitheatre?

4. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    comet - the quesiton is about being spoiled for future episodes, and to discuss the current and past episodes

DA - many topics have similar or paralell threads between YJCC/Senate/Amp. The thread was made at the suggestion of the YJCC and Amph mods.

5. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Right....so there's currently 2 threads on the same topic in existence just in different forums?

The simplest answer I can think of would be to make one Spoiled, one Unspoiled and have the mods for each forum refer people back and forth as the need arises.

Slap links between them in the opening post of each thread so people looking for the other thread can get to it without having to trawl through the thread (unfortunate if you find the spoiled and are wanting the unspoiled).

If one or the other dies....such is life.

6. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    right now the only survivor thread that is currently active is the amph one. the yjcc spoiler one is long dead.

and having two threads when the need arises is pretty much my suggestion here

7. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    If there was a solid, functioning thread in JCC why was a second redundant thread allowed in the Amphitheatre?

Each forum has its own purpose and nature. As such, the threads in each forum, while focusing on the same topic, can have completely different tones and discussions.

For example, there have long been parallel threads in the Senate and the JCC on Iraq and other political issues. This is because the Senate allows (and expects) more in-depth discussion of the topic while the JCC is more oriented around a "drive-by posting" mentality (as KW once described it). Similarly, the Amphitheatre provides a more Senate-like forum for in-depth discussion of the arts while the JCC provides a more social atmosphere for discussions.

Kimball Kinnison

8. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    OK, so either the drive-by posting mentality or the high brow expectation is somehow inappropriate for either the spoiled or unspoiled Survivor thread?

If the current JCC thread is dead...well it's down in the briney depths but it's still there. When the next season kicks off it can be popped right back up when that unknowledgable newbie starts anew one and it's locked for redundancy.

Does the Amphitheatre allow spoiled/unspoiled threads for films atm?

I think I see what the JCC mods are trying to avoid and that a front page with 2 threads for every conceivable media topic. Cause if Survivior gets one, you gotta give Spiderman 2 one. ANd the new Beastie Boys album. And that hot new series of Samurai JAck. So on and on. I reckon that's a pretty valid concern.

9. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    First off, I can't think of a reason that there'd need to be more than one thread for anything other than movies and television shows. And once the movie comes out, there's no need for a NS thread for the movie, the same way that once a show is aired on the east coast spoilers from that episode are fair game in NS threads.

As far as the fear of there being multiple two-threads, I addressed that in my initial post. There originally were two threads for Survivor, but the only one that survived was the NS thread. So even though some shows may start with two threads, the majority of the time only one will survive.

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Carmen is right - only one thread will ever survive, and it will be the thread thats more appropriate for that TV show or movie.

Perhaps you should run a case-by-case rule (omg, did I just say 'case-by-case' ?) for each thread, with the author and regulars deciding which type of thread better suits them.

For example w_k made a good case for having the 'Survivor' thread spoiler-free because the entire season is taped in advance. However, w_k is also the author of the pro-wreslting thread which does allow spoilers. This works well here because knowing the results in advance doesn't actually stop you enjoying the show, and if anything contributes to it's build up.

So, rather than starting two threads, perhaps have the author and regulars decide ? (of course you can always change the rule after a week or so if you feel an HTR or spoiler-free might be better).

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Honestly, I see both sides of the argument here, but I favor (as Malkie said) a case-by-case basis based on the author's preference and the history of the thread. For example, the Survivor threads had gone on for a long time as a non-spoiler thread. Making it HTR wasn't really necessary and served to force those users to the Amphitheatre to discuss the show.

However, making a mandate that we should make two threads for every tv and movie isn't really necessary either. The only movies in which HTR could be an issue is when the blockbusters come out and there is a great deal of discussion. People may not HTR and it causes people to get upset and forces the mods to read through each post to make sure they're masked appropriately.

I would ultimately say that it's up to the thread author and participants as to whether they want to have two threads or one. If it's two threads - fine. It's probably not going to be that often and, again, if it becomes a clutter issue (as DA said) of threads clogging up the first page, we can revisit the issue.

For the record, I prefer one HTR thread in most cases because it's easier to manage the discussions in one thread rather than two, but I also don't see it as a major problem to have two threads every once and awhile as the case warrants.

12. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Why not go back to the way it was b4 the recent ruling my the mods ? Allow NS as well as a HTR thread ?

I think the fact that the JCC mods HTR thread is dead shows what thread wuld be used.

13. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    my argument isn't so much to make two threads for every show/movie, just that if there's an existing HTR thread and people want a NS thread, they should be allowed to make one. i honestly don't see many times when both threads will survive - if people are okay with HTR that one will thrive, and if they prefer no spoilers, NS one will.

14. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    bueller? bueller? anyone?

any chance we can get more input from the YJCC mods? y'all discussing it at all?

15. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I agree that it should be up the author and the regulars to decide if the main thread on the subject is spoiler or non-spoiler. Worked in the past.

16. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    That was the whole issue in the previous drama in this subject, the JCC mods making HTR the law of the land and closing some popular NSA threads such as w_k's survivor ones.

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Most of, if not all of your questions can be answered here. Our reasons for a HTR policy were stated in that thread and the policy itself hasn't even been in effect for more than a month now. Honestly, we haven't even given this time to see how it turns out and I think we're being a little quick to jump the gun in wanting to review it already. Give it some time.

18. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Um, how is it jumping the gun ?

The old NSA thread for survivor, as an example, used to be on page one all the time.

I havent seen the new HTR one since the drama from the creation of the policy died down.

EDIT

To clarify, I havent seen the new one on P1 when Ive looked.

Can someone go to it and see how often its posted in compared to the Ampatheatere NSA thread ? That could tell us a great deal about which is wanted more by the users.

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Um, how is it jumping the gun ?

Well I'm basically posing the question of whether we have given the HTR policy a long enough tenure to see whether it is going to be effective or not. I think at least 2 months is a minimum to judge whether or not this will be productive.

Can someone go to it and see how often its posted in compared to the Ampatheatere NSA thread ? That could tell us a great deal about which is wanted more by the users.

To be honest, should we really judge the effectiveness of the HTR policy based on one thread or on something that can be skewed or manipulated? I am speaking in the sense of if users don't like the policy, they can refuse to post in it and therefore make the policy look ineffective or counterproductive to discussion. The existence of an alternative thread in another forum, as it is in this case, would only encourage something like this.

All I am saying basically is to give things more time to work out and once we have a good idea of how effective the policy will be, then we can discuss extending it or changing it in favor of the old way.

20. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Im not talking about effectivness, Im talking about user demand.

From what Ive seen, more users want a NSA thread to post in.

21. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Im not talking about effectivness, Im talking about user demand.

As moderators, it is our job to do what we feel is best for the forum as a whole and we felt at this time that a HTR policy was in the best interest of things.

22. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    How is it best ?

It simple made the NSA fans go to another fourm.

23. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    How is it best ?

Well basically it cuts down on forum spam and eliminates the need for two of the same threads which discuss the very same things, minus a few key details. By making these threads HTR, we can have one thread that accomodates to both groups which in turn more effectively serves the forum. At this point, there have been no major complaints over the HTR policy other than with the Survivor thread(s). Reguardless though, I am more than adament than we review the policy in the future but like I have said, I think we need more time to see the full spectrum of results it may yield.

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't understand why the author of the thread doesn't get to make the decision of whether or not there are spoilers allowed in the JCC? Can someone please explain to me why the author doesn't get to make that decision?

25. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    The JCC mods, well a majority of them in a vote, decided that they cant anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.