main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Discussion about the spoiler policy in YJCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by carmenite42, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Given that there's hardly anyone beyond the Survivor community this policy directly affects, it's pretty much a non-issue to everyone else.

I agree that this policy affects the Survivor thread users the most, but for their grievences with the thread you can also say that the HTR policy can work in the JCC. A good example of this would be the 24 thread, which has been HTR since it's very inception and has been without complaints or problems related to the spoiler format. Continuing on with the situation of the Survivor threads, to use this as an example of why HTR doesnt work for Survivor is futile since the test itself was an aborted run. The original intent of us testing this policy was to have HTR vs. nothing to see if we could court to both groups by having only one thread. In this instance, it became HTR vs. NS when a Survivor NS thread was created in The Amphitheatre and thus the NS users of this group got what they wanted to begin with and had no reason to try the HTR format. If we do revert back to the non-spoiler and spoiler thread format, wouldn't we be courting to the needs of a single minority, the NS users in this case, and thus be modding biasedly to a degree? I could understand your opposition to the policy had there been complaints from numerous groups concerning the HTR format, but at this point there hasn't been enough justification for us to abandon a trial run of the policy over the period of a few months.

2. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    My point is not that HTR can't work. My point is that each group should be allowed to decide for itself what format is best.

The current ruling says that most groups want HTR threads, so we should only allow HTR threads. My idea says that rather than going with the majority overall, we should go with the majority of each group. Break down what we're working with into smaller pieces, to make more people happy.

The argument has been made that then there will be two threads for every media, one spoiler or HTR, and one non-spoiler. However, examples such as the 24 thread show that that won't be the case. The majority of fans are okay with an HTR thread, so they post in that.

In the case of the Survivor fans, they don't want to post in an HTR thread. If there were two threads: and HTR thread and a NS one, the HTR one would die. We saw this when there was an HTR thread in YJCC and a NS thread in the Amph. The HTR thread died. It has happened before. The majority of fans in this case want an NS thread.

So, to restate my question, if in the majority of cases only one thread survives, then why can't the group decide, for itself, which kind that one thread is?

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    To me, all of that is secondary to the absence of an apparent need for the current policy.

If there were a lot of shows and movies going at the same time, then there would be a need to create some sort of policy to iron out a formal way of handling them.

However, unless I'm mistaken, there are only a few active threads that are relevant to the policy. Given that, as carmen said, why not simply allow each thread to decide for itself what it prefers?

It would have to pick one or the other, but not both. It seems that the preference emerges over time, rather than any formal process.

If we do revert back to the non-spoiler and spoiler thread format, wouldn't we be courting to the needs of a single minority, the NS users in this case, and thus be modding biasedly to a degree?

That's just it, though. I'm not sure where you're getting "minority" from, because NS people are a majority in the survivor community. Most Survivor fans here don't want HTR, so they went where they didn't have to worry about spoilers.

I'd say any "reversion" should include the option of HTR, if that's what a thread's community wants. If they prefer it, by all means let it stay :).

I could understand your opposition to the policy had there been complaints from numerous groups concerning the HTR format, but at this point there hasn't been enough justification for us to abandon a trial run of the policy over the period of a few months.

Here's where I really don't understand.

How many complaints did you receive about the spoiler/non-spoiler threads (i.e. how it was before this)? Part of what I'm saying is that there aren't "numerous groups" to make complaints because there are only a few movie/television thread communities active right now.

So, I'm wondering what the original catalyst was for the move from how it used to be to the current policy.

4. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    What I want to know is why instead of causing teh drama thru 'odd' policy's, why couldnt the mods simply get a hold of more important issues, such as insulting behavior between users, and spam in general ?

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    why couldnt the mods simply get a hold of more important issues, such as insulting behavior between users, and spam in general ?

What do you suggest they can do to fight insulting behaviour and spam that they are not already doing?
    (Don't reply in this thread because it would be off topic - instead post in dp4m's thread)

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    So, to restate my question, if in the majority of cases only one thread survives, then why can't the group decide, for itself, which kind that one thread is?

I can understand where you're coming from carmen and a case by case decision seems like it would satisfy everyone a bit more at this point based on the reaction to this test run, whether negative or positive. We were just trying something new in order to see if we could court to the needs of two groups while cutting down on numerous threads of the same topic. At the end of all this, a compromise could be met and the result will most likely be what you have mentioned, a case by case ruling.

7. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Then why not simply start the case by case basis now, rather than further politicize the issue, and cause the JCC to loose more readers ?

Yub yub!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.