main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] I Don't Understand Why This Thread Has Not Been Locked

Discussion in 'Communications' started by saerah, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    It's gone on long enough.

http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/17122151/?316

It's an ugly flame war continued on by not just Ignant, but other users. According to the rules that have been set forth here, this thread should have been locked long ago.

It's gotten to the point where users are talking about my 'boobs' and this is bordering on sexual harassment. I won't take it.

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Did you PM this and bring it to the attention of a JCC mod?

3. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Yes several times. This has been an ongoing debate. I've had it--and if something isn't done, things are going to get uglier, folks.

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Nothing has been mentioned to me.

It seems to be continuing because you continue to post. Try not posting and let the thread die.

It isn't an ugly thread (yet), an it can be controlled on a post to post basis.

5. saerah

May 13, 1999
    It's been ugly since the beginning, malkie. You and I both know it.

I've discussed Ignant with Katya and zacparis. I didn't go to you because you're good friends with him.

Step back for a moment, kids, and look at it from a generic standpoint--what if someone else had posted this thread? Would it have gotten this ugly?

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I didn't go to you because you're good friends with him

That common never ceases to amaze me no matter how many times I read it.

Basically, if Katya think its ok to remain open then I'm happy to go with her judgement. Should it degenerate, then I'll easily lock it.

I'd honestly suggest you ignore the thread and let it die.

7. saerah

May 13, 1999
    This whole thing isn't going to die. It's going to keep progressing until someone has the common sense to do something about Paul.

Warnings aren't enough anymore. Go ahead and ban me--but ban him along with me.

8. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    This has been an ongoing debate.

Where is this debate? I don't see how it's turned into an ugly flame war, and inappropriate comments have been dealt with. If you don't like the thread, you're free to ignore it.

I've discussed Ignant with Katya and zacparis.

I seem to remember discussing user behaviour within the thread, not the thread itself. If users are causing trouble, we deal with it. There's no need to lock the whole thread if it can be contained.

9. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    I scanned the entire thread, and I saw no reference to your "boobs" ever. PPOR.

10. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Please refer to my above post.

And I am not the only one who is irked beyond belief. I haven't had to deal with anything like this since Chyren...I am not one to go around and troll and flame--as a user I am expressing my genuine concern about Ignant.

It was edited out, jacemathem, per my request.

11. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    If you don't like the thread, you're free to ignore it.

Easier said than done. And Ignant could just as easily have stopped posting as saerah could have, but he always wants the last word. It's a matter of pride.

12. saerah

May 13, 1999
    And we all know that AmazingB will have his response when he logs on and the thread will be upped again.

I don't see why the mods aren't adding it all together? Is this different from any other troll?

What if Comet would have posted this thread?

13. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    It was edited out, jacemathem, per my request.

Ah, I see.

EDIT:

Now that I look at it more, I still won't label it as "an ugly flame war", but it does pretty much add up to baiting.

14. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    This whole thing isn't going to die. It's going to keep progressing until someone has the common sense to do something about Paul.

Are you trying to say that this Comms thread is less about your specific complaint in question, and more about having "something" done about another user?

If that is the case, I'll just lock this thread. Comms is not the place to bring personal disagreements.

If you have personal problems with another user, I suggest that you take it up with that user via PM or ignore that user completely.

Warnings aren't enough anymore. Go ahead and ban me--but ban him along with me.

If you wish to be banned, then we would be more than happy to oblige you. There are many times that users have requested to be voluntarily banned, and I am yet to find out about a case where such requests were not honored. Under such a ban, you would also be unbanned upon request.

However, it is inappropriate to demand that another user be banned, especially in a public forum. That is something left to the moderators to determine.

Kimball Kinnison

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I don't see why the mods aren't adding it all together? Is this different from any other troll?

What if Comet would have posted this thread?

What if you had never posted in the thread? Would you still care? I have yet to see any clear evidence of trolling by Ignant.

Now that I look at it more, I still won't label it as "an ugly flame war", but it does pretty much add up to baiting.

The users concerned have been warned about baiting. If it continues, it will be delt with.

16. saerah

May 13, 1999
    It's a complaint about the thread. The complaint about Ignant is secondary and supporting the complaint about the thread.

It's pure baiting. Where on the last page is their discussion about elitism?

17. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    It's a complaint about the thread.

Then leave your personal issues with other users out of it, please.

Kimball Kinnison

18. saerah

May 13, 1999
    I simply do not understand why a thread that clearly promotes baiting and flaming has continued to progress.

Ignant admits to baiting in the thread. AmazingB confirms it. I took the bait and I'm an idiot for it. I can admit my mistakes, but I won't let it go on any longer.

19. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Why not just lock it and move on?

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    saerah, you seemed perfectly happy with the thread in the beginning, and unless my eyes deceive me, you weren't totally innocent when it came to name calling and derailing.

21. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    So lock the thread, and slap everyone's wrists, including saerah's.

22. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    From what the JCC mods are saying, the thread itself isn't out of control and can still easily be controlled at the post level.

23. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Zacparis, in my last post I mentioned that I did indeed take the bait.

Even though I asked Ignant nicely several times to discontinue calling me by my nickname, he continued to do so and to do so blatantly. [I am reminded of the post where he started out with, Lin, Lin, Lin.... I reacted to it--and maybe I should not have, but it was personal. He made it personal.

24. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    So lock the thread, and slap everyone's wrists, including saerah's.

Under what basis? Because a couple of users continued to argue with each other? We prefer to deal with users before dealing with a thread.

Zacparis, in my last post I mentioned that I did indeed take the bait.

So learn from the mistake and just forget about it. I realise how hard it can be to just walk away, but it really would solve your problem.

25. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Over the past five days or so, where I have I 'gotten into it' with Ignant besides the elite thread?

I don't read his other threads anymore--I don't post in his other threads anymore.

I don't want Ignant to do this again, and I don't want any user posting threads with the sole intention to bait.

Can you honestly tell me that Ignant posted that thread to have a hearty, rounded discussion on his eliteness?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.