main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] I feel that the locking of this topic is unfair

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord_Fett, Apr 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Fett

Lord_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    This one. Why? It was funny, it wasn't offending anyone. I don't get it.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    This will be locked soon. Apparently this isn't the place to share your concerns about threads being locked.

3. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    From the Terms of Service, "Rules of Conduct":
    User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense.

I believe the "g-spot" is sexually oriented, wouldn't you agree? :)

Plus, if you have a disagreement with a mod's actions, the thing to do isn't to first come whining to Comms. PM the moderator that locked the thread and discuss with them why it was locked. If you have further disagreement with the mod's actions, contact an Admin, and they will encourage the moderators and other Admins to discuss the issue, then a solution will be reached. End of story.

[/discussion]

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    End of story.

We bow to your authority Mr. Pretend-Mod.

5. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    We bow to your authority Mr. Pretend-Mod.

:p
    I'm just regurgitating from memory because I've seen so many threads like this.

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well that kind of talk is bad enough coming from the mods, let alone regular users. :p

7. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    Well that kind of talk is bad enough coming from the mods, let alone regular users.

Hehe, I pwned him pretty bad, didn't I? :)

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Was that your intention?

9. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    No... [face_innocent] :D

Anthropology midterm has made me a little cranky. ;)

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm sure you mean well, but I don't think it's necessary to go all moddish like that to become a mod. You'll only alienate the users around you. :p

11. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    but I don't think it's necessary to go all moddish like that to become a mod.

Who said I was pushing to become a mod? ?[face_plain]

You'll only alienate the users around you.

I still wuv you! [face_love]

12. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Who said I was pushing to become a mod?

No one. ;)

13. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    It looks like that thread got out of control. Plus, a few users started hurling insults at each other. I don't see a problem with that locking. Mods posted warnings a few times.

14. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, firstly, ignoring the little banter above, and concentrating on procedure, yes, you should PM the mod that locked the thread. Discuss the issue with the mod, and see if you can understand the reason.

But, from where I stand, I think the locking was deserved. The thread was borderline from the outset. Discussion of the g-spot isnt the sort of thing that is considered 'family friendly' around these parts. Some serious discussion might be allowed, but usually if the thread becomes dirty jokes, then its considered time to go.

And that is what happened. The thread was intended to be humourous, which makes it a little iffy from the outset. The thread then became filled with a lot of innuendo and sexual references. And then a lot of baiting and flaming. And then back to the innuendo and references.

There is the notion of moderating at the post level, rather than at the thread level, however for this, I'd imagine that the thread itself is a lightning rod for posting that isnt allowed, so it'd be better to moderate at the thread level. Not to say that various posts wouldnt need to be moderated as well, but the thread itself was a bit much to be ok.

Anyway, thats how I'd see it if I was still a mod. But as always, you really should PM the mod that locked the thread for further clarification.

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    See this is why I think threads like this should be allowed in Comms. You explained it perfectly dagsy, and for all to see, so we can all learn from it. The notion of PMing a Mod who locked the topic is pointless IMO, you really need third party observations to make the users aware of the JC's policy.

16. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    OK. I can see why the thread was locked.

17. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I locked it. You didn?t PM me. :(

Like Dagsy said, a topic about the G spot is borderline to begin with. It started off as a bit fun, but really didn?t take long to get off track.

See this is why I think threads like this should be allowed in Comms. You explained it perfectly dagsy, and for all to see, so we can all learn from it.

Yeah, he has explained it perfectly. Thing is, are there really many people that don?t know why it was locked? It?s in the TOS (User agrees not to post material that is knowingly...sexually oriented), and some of the first posts in the thread indicated that it wouldn?t last long. Discussing the ?G-spot? isn?t family friendly, and almost everyone know that being ?family friendly? is a requirement around the JCC. If it became policy that a user?s first course of action was to demand an explanation for a thread closure in Comms, poor old KK would go insane, and this forum would cease to be useful. I could have given you and anyone else that was curious an explanation via PM.

OK. I can see why the thread was locked.

I?m glad to hear that, but please PM the Mod who closed it in future. :)

18. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    See this is why I think threads like this should be allowed in Comms. You explained it perfectly dagsy, and for all to see, so we can all learn from it. The notion of PMing a Mod who locked the topic is pointless IMO, you really need third party observations to make the users aware of the JC's policy.

This is exaclty why I didn't PMed you, BF

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    In real life, I love the topic of that thread. On these boards, I think locking it was the right call.

20. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think one of the more important things to consider is that just the other day a thread about edible panties was locked. I don't see how that's less family friendly than a thread about the G-Spot. And such inconsistency is a huge problem.

Amazing.

21. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    It was a fun thread, but did become a little raunchy. It also didnt become very much fun when someone said they slept with my fiance. But I informed a Mod on that one.

22. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Thing is, are there really many people that don?t know why it was locked?

I don't, considering it went so long without a lock. I know why it COULD'VE been locked from the start ...

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    AmazingB, what flavor were the panties?

24. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    :eek: I'm shocked that thread went on 6 pages... [face_plain]

That was BEYOND vulgar.

25. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    But not everyone will always agree to locking a thread or what is the line when something becomes vulgar. Subjectivity will inevitably breed disagreement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.