main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Inappropriately locked thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jeff 42, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    This is a classic thread. It was locked because it "was inactive for three months." Incidentally, it had actually been inactive for less than two months, but that's not really relevant. You don't lock classic threads that are brought up after being inactive for a while. It's common sense. I PMed the mod who locked it; my PM was read but not replied to, so I'm posting here.

nashira edit- see last post

2. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    OMG, that thread is JC history. You can't just lock that sucker! Seriously, that thread is the source of one of the JC's most infamous trolls! It's sheer brilliance! And now it could be lost forever!

Edit: in all seriousness, this is not a legitimate lock reason. Inactivity is not a reason to lock a thread. That's why we have pruning. If the members of the forum wish to keep an old thread from being pruned by up'ing it every now and again for others' enjoyment, the Administration has no right to unilaterally kill a piece of JC history without an exceptionally good reason (like - we're running out of server space).

If all threads over three months are to be locked, the mods need to get busy. Singling out a thread like this (that was actually being posted to!) is sheer nonsense.

Absurd.

Vertical

3. Darth_Smelly

Darth_Smelly Jedi Master star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    I brought this to the attention of the mod Nashira and she was the one who closed down this thread. I actually brought this up in another thread here in comms. Wes_Janson who started the second thread was lobbying to keep his open because his was newer.

4. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Seriously, if we're locking threads that are up'ed after a 'dormant' period, the "Spam vs. Fluff" thread was dormant for around 7 months. Better kill that sucker, too.

That's a joke. Don't really do it. I used that example to illustrate the point that some threads, while not being posted to, are important, and it's up to the membership, not the Administration to decide whether or not it's still important to them. The Administration should not be in the business of deciding for the membership what threads they should be enjoying and able to keep, provided they're not breaking rules.

Vertical

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I imagine it was locked, and that locking reason was given, because a new pic posting thread got to 500 odd posts before the old one was revived (by regular users). When I saw the new thread, I thought it would've been locked when it initially appeared and it's participants redirected to the old thread. But the new thread was allowed to grow and grow and so it was probably easier to lock the old one for inactivity because another thread had superseded it, than to lock the new thread now it was so big and risk complaints along the lines of 'Why wasn't this thread locked initially, why was it alowed to grow so big before any action was taken?'

6. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    any classic threads by Barry, Mayor, david_43, etc, should NEVER be locked.

7. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    That's an understandable circumstance, but I believe this thread in particular deserves special consideration.

That thread was no longer about the pictures. It was about a snapshot of JC history in the making.

Please unlock this thread and let it live on. If need be, as a compromise, the Administration can specify that any new pictures can be posted to the current photo thread, but any 'socializing' with regards to that classic thread can and should continue within that thread.

Vertical

8. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    The newer thread is actually cluttered with posts by one person repeatedly saying "I'd hit it".

9. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    That thread was no longer about the pictures. It was about a snapshot of JC history in the making.

Exactly.

Similar thread title, but completely different content.

Did nashira bother to read the thread before deleting it ?

Poor barry must be turning over in his banland grave.

10. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    If nashira was unfamiliar with the history of the thread, it's an understandable error. However, I'm hoping that this thread will convince her that there *is* a history to that thread and there's much more to that thread than the pictures, and that it deserves to live on so long as there are members here who wish to enjoy it.

Vertical

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    That thread should be compulsory reading to any newbie, together with the original "couch" thread(s) and the classic "Cleg Lars is Darth Maul" thread.

12. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I must have missed the Clieg Lars is Darth Maul thread. Can someone provide a link?

The real question here should be.. why was the other thread allowed to go on so long if it was redundant to this one? And, if the mod doesn't know how important this thread and Barry is, why are they a mod? (I don't know who the mod was that locked it, I haven't looked)

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That thread should be compulsory reading to any newbie, together with the original "couch" thread(s) and the classic "Cleg Lars is Darth Maul" thread.

Yet, strangely, no one ever complains about the "Boba Fett == The Mayor of Serpindal" or "Length of the Super Star Destroyer" threads in here... ;)

14. jazztronaut

jazztronaut Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    So not much has changed at the JC, eh?

Are words like [ape poop] still not allowed?

15. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    So not much has changed at the JC, eh?

Are words like ****monkey still not allowed?

I think it is still not allowed.

EDIT: Bugger, I shouldn't quote it either.

Real question is, does '-monkey' in the above mentioned word require editing?

16. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    do any of the classic "palpatine=sidious" threads still exist in the movie forums?

17. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Smelly, make up your mind. Either my thread was a copy, or it wasnt. You cant have it both ways. And if you bother to read the thread rather than troll, you would see many others, including mods, praticipated in it.

And smelly, I never lobbyd for ANY thread to be closed, you did. It was proiably your incessent whining that my thread should have been locked was proably what caused the mods to decide to lock one.

18. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I'm sure the other thread was allowed to go on for so long simply because the older thread was out of sight, out of mind. Most of the JCC mods probably didn't know about its existence until it was brought back up.

Vertical

19. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    I won't respond to your lies and baiting anymore Janson so you might as well quit posting your nonsense.

20. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Smelly, get some decent lies. Anyone can look at your recent posts and notice all the calls for my 'copy' thread to be locked.

The ironic thing is, the thread that you cited as the readson why mune should be locked was last posted in (before I started my post a pic thread) BEFORE you even registerd.

21. jazztronaut

jazztronaut Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 1999
  22. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    Don't derail this thread with your baiting and incessant lies Janson. Simple point.....your thread was redundant and should have been locked.

You have quite a reputation......I would stop baiting me.

23. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Boys, boys. This isn't the appropriate arena for this.

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    One thing is true: barry's thread wasn't even upped when somebody complained about Wes' newer one to be redundant.

25. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Both of you prz stop posting. kthx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.