[JCC] Moderating in JCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by SLR, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Does anyone else think that the moderating has been too strict as of late. Threads are getting locked and edited much quicker now and more and more users are getting bans seemingly w/o warning. It doesn't seem to be much different content wise over the past few months. But lately, mods are more likely to edit, lock and ban. Why the change?
  2. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    That means the mods are doing there job. Nothing more.
  3. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    << agrees with the fellow Mid-bee on this. I can think of other places where the hammer should fall more often...
  4. jedi_john_33 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    i think the JCC should be removed.
  5. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It seems like it is harder to have fun and joke around in the JCC as of late. It seems that pretty minor things are getting edited and locked and people are getting banned for pretty minor stuff. There are also certain users, who I believe whether you like them or not, make the forum more exciting and fun, that have been getting banned a lot lately.
  6. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  7. OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well,I think as long as they're just doing there job,there's no problem,IMHO. :)
  8. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think some have been over anxious as of late and are being to quick to edit, lock and ban.
  9. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Threads are getting locked and edited much quicker now and more and more users are getting bans seemingly w/o warning.

I would hope that people aren't getting banned without warning unless they are obviously flaming/trolling or spamming. I'm not sure where you're comprising your statistics on that information to be able to say that users are being banned "without warning".

It seems like it is harder to have fun and joke around in the JCC as of late.

You're kidding right? Did you notice the threads started in the JCC today? I'd say there are some "fun and joke" threads in there that are still wide open for posting. Out of...well, I'm to lazy to count, but 3 pages of threads active today, only three got locked. That's a pretty darn good ratio for that forum, I'd say.

It seems that pretty minor things are getting edited and locked and people are getting banned for pretty minor stuff. There are also certain users, who I believe whether you like them or not, make the forum more exciting and fun, that have been getting banned a lot lately.

Well, if they post against the TOS, they'll be banned. They may think something is "minor", but more often than not, it's not their first offense. Defining users that make the forum more exciting and fun is quite subjective. Again, if they stay posting within the TOS, that's great. If they don't, then they fall under the rules of the boards.

But lately, mods are more likely to edit, lock and ban. Why the change?

Define "lately" - the last 30 days? The last week? With Dagsy and I coming back to the JCC in the last few days, we're working on getting all the JCC mods on the same page in terms of moderating. I would encourage you to give it some time before passing judgement that things are too strict.

We all want the JCC to be fun and enjoyable for everyone - everyone. No, you probably won't agree 100% with some of the decisions made, but, hey, that's part of the gig. We will have to make judgement calls on what's best for the forum. If that means a lock and/or ban, then that's what we'll do to help make the forum better.
  10. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think a lot of it comes down to coordination. A user will post something that gets edited or locked by one mod. Then later in the day or a day or two later, that same user gets banned by another mod for something they thought was already handled. I think there is just some inconsistency in how people are modding. Some give us more leeway and others hammer it down.

I agree w/ you Katya. I think things have gotten better the best few days since you and Dagsy have returned. You two bring good sense and experience with you. However, some of the fresher mods in there I think try to throw their weight around there too much and are being over active and over harsh in their responses.
  11. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    I know one poster who was edited and got a ban for making a 'joke' that was so filthy, (and not in a sexual sense), I'd be surprised if we see them for quite a while. The mods are doing their job.
  12. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I think there is just some inconsistency in how people are modding. Some give us more leeway and others hammer it down.

I'm sure you're right. With 5 of us in there, we're all naturally going to have some different styles. Heck, that happened when Dags, Carmen, Bria, JMT and I were there. However, we're trying to all be better coordinated about forum expectations and creating a positive and fun culture. I think that will take a little while, but I'm optimistic we can get there.
  13. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I seem to think yjcc is more fun when there is strict modding. Stupid and redundent threads get locked faster, inappropriate language is removed and they still have time to advise me of rules I either know too well or don't even know existed.

Its a much easier place to post now.
  14. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well I'll make this pretty simple and straight to the point.

• Post within the TOS and your thread won't be locked.

• Post within the TOS and your post won't be edited.

• Post within the TOS and you won't be banned.

Is it really that hard to adhere to? I think most would agree that it's possible to have fun and post in a care free forum while obeying a few common rules such as keeping the fun clean for the most part, respecting other users, and just using good judgement when posting. There are plenty of fun threads to post in on the JCC other than ones discussing fecal matter and human bodily functions. I can recommend a few right off...

You are now part of the tribe!
    ****The Person Above Me: [V6.25]****
    The MOVIE Name Game
  15. jedi_john_33 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Bitter ex-mods control the "tribe" thread.

they always boo us out :(

i just make sammichs and leave :(
  16. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    That's because you're not part of the tribe. Duh.
  17. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think there is just some inconsistency in how people are modding. Some give us more leeway and others hammer it down.

That's a problem endemic to any forum that has multiple mods, and the more there are the more that's going to happen. There are five mods in 3SA, and no matter how much we try to be on the same page, some decisions are always going to be judgment calls, and five people are going to have five different opinions. Mods don't share a hive mind, and some degree of difference of opinion has to be expected and, I think, accepted. We're not machines.
  18. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There is one of the new Mods in the JCC who got an instant God complex but now seems to have settled in. I suppose this is typical.

Dags is back now so who cares, as long as he is in charge everything will be fine. Dags is an irreplaceable mod and his absence brought down the entire community.
  19. nashira Manager Emeritus

star 4
    like has been said, now that the more experienced mods are back on board, us newer mods have more leadership. This will help with the consistancy issues.

that's all I have to add.
  20. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    I think what just happened to my Survivor 9 thread is an damn good representation of the problems going on these days. For 4 years and 8 seasons Survivor threads were 100% non-spoiler, but not anymore apparently. You see, if there was a non-spoiler thread and a spoiler thread on the JCC at the same time, the entire website would implode.
  21. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Post within the TOS and you won't be banned.

Yeah right, unless you post a link to a website that has copy and paste mod squad posts. That isn't in the TOS but it will get you banned.
  22. k3po Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I know the Mods have their hands full and every call is going to be a judgement call. I think everyone just gets carried away and that leads to bans, warnings edits and such.
  23. carmenite42 Jedi Master

star 4
    I've always wondered why we say post with the TOS, when actually you need to post within the Rules of Conduct. The TOS just says you can be banned if you break the rules of conduct. But that's really neither here nor there.
  24. DVader316 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    That whole thing with the Survivor thread is just plain crazy. Ive seen some questionable calls in the four plus years Ive been here, and this one's definitely up there.

*ducks as website implodes*
  25. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    I've always wondered why we say post with the TOS, when actually you need to post within the Rules of Conduct.

Because someone (and I can't for the life of me remember who) in one rather pedantic mood started doing it, and unfortunately everything absolutely snowballed from there. Now everyone thinks that the TOS is/has to be the be-all-and-end-all of rules for the JC, when it never has been.

/rant
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.