[JCC] Moderating in JCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by SLR, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. carmenite42 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dingo, you are my hero as far as JC history is concerned. Next time I see ya, I'll buy you a coke.
  2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I guess I always saw TOS/Rules of Conduct as interchangeable so I always said TOS.

Carmen...you never bought me a coke. :(
  3. carmenite42 Jedi Master

star 4
    The coke came free with the bitter ex-mod shirt. And you gave up that shirt ;)
  4. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    You want innane, useless JC history? Just ask. It's rather sad not only how much of it I've been around for, but how much of the details I still remember.
  5. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    The coke came free with the bitter ex-mod shirt. And you gave up that shirt

Dammit!

You'll be my first call, Dingo.
  6. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You want innane, useless JC history? Just ask. It's rather sad not only how much of it I've been around for, but how much of the details I still remember.

And you're a newbie. And no JC history is useless, take that back!!!!!
  7. carmenite42 Jedi Master

star 4
    Meh. Newbies are 2002+

Midbe, methinks. And former Admin status means access to even older info.
  8. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No a newbie is anyone who registarted after May 19th 1999.

And former Admin status means access to even older info.

Whats that? A secret history of the JC only mods can get to?
  9. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Midbe, methinks

Yeah, very start of the midbie range, although I think I had an account previous to my last one.

former Admin status means access to even older info

Not to mention older actual reg date than that of this account.
  10. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    Anyone who registered in the old UBB days is an oldbie. Anyone who registered less than a year ago is a newbie. Everyone else is a midbie.
  11. carmenite42 Jedi Master

star 4
    well, by that logic my original reg date makes me an oldbie, which i refuse to accept. dec 31, 1999? oldbie. january 1, 2000? midbe.

and former admin status gives you knowledge of the innerworkings of the boards, along with the fact that (theoretically, hopefully) admins tend to know more about what's going on with the boards than your average poster.
  12. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    Jan 1 2000 is still oldbie - the move was in July 2000 :p
  13. carmenite42 Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah - my original username is a feb 2000 date. but i still say i'm a midbie, because my reg date doesn't start with a 199.

I may be willing to accept oldbie status in 2010, but until then, I'm a midbie.
  14. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    No a newbie is anyone who registarted after May 19th 1999.

Mitt, that's simply ridiculous, and quite frankly you're the only person I know of who holds to that absurd definition. In this country, President Clinton had almost two years to go in his term at that point and President Bush is now in the midst of a re-election campaign. Do you honestly believe that someone who registered anytime from mid-1999 through 2001 is still a newbie? Anyone in that time frame has a minimum of almost two and a half years on the JC, which is a long time in the online world. Think back to who the moderators were at that time and compare it to now. There's no one that was a moderator then that's a moderator now, except for MaxVeers. No one.

This, however, is pretty reasonable:

Anyone who registered in the old UBB days is an oldbie. Anyone who registered less than a year ago is a newbie. Everyone else is a midbie.

Not perfect, but in a world of subjectivity, it's pretty good.
  15. DVader316 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Embrace your oldbie-ness, Carmen.
  16. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Mitt, that's simply ridiculous, and quite frankly you're the only person I know of who holds to that absurd definition.

But I like being ridiculous! I'm the only one I know who holds this standard as well. But theres not that many in my generation or even before still around. Why do I have to change my view? When I came here I was the newbie, I remember someone saying that anyone who registared after them was a newbie. Why can't I call who I want newbies?

*Thinks back to who was a mod then compared to now*
    Um, can I have them back, please? The person who told me about these boards was a mod then. You do know that was pre-Chyren days, don't you?

You're very silly and I hope that post was totally sarcastic or else in my view you proved you are still a newbie. :p
  17. GenOochy Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes! My plan worked! Muha-Muhahahaha!

:p

I like it. It's working good and they aren't showing as much mercy as they use to.

Kepp it up! :D
  18. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    EDIT: nevermind, it ain't even worth it. Let me just say [face_plain]
  19. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    It is so plainly obvious to me now that the mods in the JCC don't give a $#!+ about the making the forum better and only care about sucking up to a handful of morons.

This place sucks so much right now.
  20. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    In-regards to the totally off-topic topic: Isn't wearing your registration date on your sleeve like it's something to be proud of kinda...ohhh...I don't know...nerdy? My take. :)

On-Topic: I personally have been kinda disappointed with the current JCC modship, of-late. Oh well. I know that my opinion doesn't mean dick, so I usually keep quiet about such things. *shrugs*
  21. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Think back to who the moderators were at that time and compare it to now. There's no one that was a moderator then that's a moderator now, except for MaxVeers. No one.

How is that good, btw? I remember when mods admitted their mistakes. I also think having experience mods would be a good thing. But I am just silly that way.
  22. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    How is that good, btw? I remember when mods admitted their mistakes. I also think having experience mods would be a good thing. But I am just silly that way.

What constitutes a mistake, though? Some people seem to think that if the moderators do not immediately agree with their suggestion it is a mistake, and the moderators have to back down. That is not the case.

Remember, we aren't doing this for some power trip. We're here because we really do care about the boards and want them to be a better place. We were each selected for our judgement as well, and that means that we exercise our judgement. Will it always agree with your judgement? No. However, that doesn't make it a mistake.

Rather than attacking the mods for disagreeing with your ideas, it is better to try to work with us to find better ones.

Kimball Kinnison
  23. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Rather than attacking the mods for disagreeing with your ideas, it is better to try to work with us to find better ones.

I thought I had been, like in the Survivor thread in Comms and the policy thread in JCC. But working with someone does go both ways.

What constitutes a mistake, though?

Chyren said I was a sock of Admiral60s. That was a mistake, not something up for debate.
  24. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    I thought I had been, like in the Survivor thread in Comms and the policy thread in JCC. But working with someone does go both ways.

That was not just directed at you, but at everyone in general.

Working with someone does go both ways. However, there does come a time when a decision has to be reached and in this case, the moderators are the ones who have to make the final decision. At times, we will revisit them (as was the case in the Survivor issue), but in the end, the final decision is left to us.

Chyren said I was a sock of Admiral60s. That was a mistake, not something up for debate.

I've banned people accidentally before, and publicly apologized once it was pointed out to me. I have no problem admitting that.

However, what most people call "mistakes" really boil down to differences of opinion. A difference of opinion is not a mistake.

Kimball Kinnison
  25. jedi_john_33 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    only thing that bothers me about the modding in the JCC is when regular users are the ones modding, instead of alerting mods about a problem. that's what leads to the tension that is brought up here in comms.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.