[JCC]New social threads in the JC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NJOfan215, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There are many people in the jcc that want to make a new scoial thread. The jcc has instituted a policy of having 1 new social thread active at a time. This new thread last for 1 month. I feel that this is a flawed system, because it makes users wait too long to have their thread, it allows failing thread to stick around for a month, and it stunts the growth of the community.

I have recently asked that my name be put on the waiting list. There are 14 people in front of me. This means that i will have to wait untill june of 2006 to have my thread. That is simply rediculous. There is no garuntee that i will still be posting on tfn at that time. Hell there is no garuntee that tfn will still be hosting forums then.

One of the social thread wasn't getting a lot of activity. This was the reason that instead of a post count limit a time limit was imposed on the threads. This was an interesting idea, but it is still flawed. Why should a floundering thread be allowed to continue when there are other people in line behind that person. Also why should a sucessful thread be stopped because it has been around for a month?

New members are constantly joining tfn. Many old member are slowly fading into the backgroung. By limiting the social threads in such a way it impeads the new membership from starting there own threads and making a nich for themselves. I know that they can join a thread that is allready in existance, but i don't feel that is the same thing as them having the ability to build there own sub-communities.

I know there are many social threads on the jcc know, but many of them have lost steam. Also the jcc mainly serves a social function, don't social threads have a right to be there? What is the harm in having many new social threads? If the threads aren't very popular they will die off, and not be a factor. If they don't die off then they are having a positive effect on soem group of the community. If people decide that they don't like all of the new social threads springing up, they have the option of not participating in them.

I propose that the ms allow 2 new social threads a month, and that each thread be evaluated every 2 weeks. If the thread is dead, then close it, and allow another one to start. If it's doing fine leave it.

Amos edit: Put the brackety thingys in

malkie edit we're done here
  2. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    How have the JCC mods responded to your suggestion (assuming you've contacted them)? They could create a poll to test the waters of the forum, for instance, and see if it is endorsed.
  3. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Since this issue involves the community as a whole, not just myself and the mods, i decided to adress my concern in here, so that every one could participate.

A poll would be fine with me.
  4. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The general approach is to contact the mods first, then approach Comms, which is why I asked. Because of the penchant for DRAMA, many mods instantly associate Comms threads with personal attacks and people vying for e-glory; some only visit Comms after Sape threatens to force them to hand edit Line-By-Line threads for accuracy.

EDIT: Incidentally, I'm not putting words in their mouth or saying what will happen. They may see this thread or they might not; they might do something about it or they might not.
  5. FamousAmos VIP

star 6
    This would have been better suited to bring to the JCC mods in PMs first. But since we're here, why not: ( :p)

The revolving of the social threads every month was proposed and adopted by the JCC mods because at the time we had a list that was about 15 threads long, and had been there for almost a year and a half if memory serves, and yet one thread on that list had been made. The current plan had been for that thread to be locked when it reached 5,000 posts(which would have taken quite a while), and the policy was set up so that the next thread on the list could only be started after the one on the list before it was closed.

So we went to what we have now, which allows for rotation, and has worked well so far IMHO. The JCC is a social forum, but it should not be dedicated solely to social threads IMHO - they encourage cliquish behavior that everyone always complains about, and usually there are only a few regulars that post in each social thread, so if you allow them to go unchecked they will flood the forum.

Having two at one time is agreeable to me, and if there's enough desire to do that then I'm fine with that. :)
  6. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The general approach is to contact the mods first, then approach Comms, which is why I asked. Because of the penchant for DRAMA, many mods instantly associate Comms threads with personal attacks and people vying for e-glory; some only visit Comms after Sape threatens to force them to hand edit Line-By-Line threads for accuracy.

Then I disagree with the general approach. I feel PM's should be used to discuss issues that effect the user and the moderator. Since i felt this issue effected all of the users of the jcc i decided to address the issue in a forum were we can all participate. This is obviously something that a private message wouldn't allow. I do understand that some people precieve comms in the way you described. In fact i've scene a few user attack people in hear. This thread is not intended for that. If i have any of the facts incorrect, then i would be willing to rethink what i've said, but as far as i know my understanding of the policies on this issue are clear.
  7. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the clarification amos. I do agree that the social threads can encourage cliquish behavior. Unfortunitly i think cliquish behavior will always be around where ever there are large numbers of people. I also would not like to see the jcc flooded with social threads. I also don't feel the current system is terrible. I'm just looking for a way to speed things up, allow flourishing threads to continue, and allow some more community building ( which is a bit problematic since i feel that social threads can help with this, but i also feel they can do harm in this way. Ponder this i will.)
  8. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Back in the day, all that was of the JCC were social threads. I like the new policy.
  9. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, when i joined in May 02, my first posts were all in social threads. Pool party social threads. just crap threads. We have numerous established social threads for you to post in, and i personally really like the monthly rotation. It gives a fresh new social thread every month that's interesting and new without allowing for clutter.

being realistic, you probably wont have to wait till june 06. Snowball had march's thread, and there were two people before him that backed out of start a thread. Stuff happens.
  10. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
    I like the policy how it is now, but I wouldn't mind having two at a time.
  11. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I say all social threads be locked, and one super thread be made where all members are really welcome, no matter who they are! Yay!
  12. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Despite a recent misunderstanding all members are welcome to post in all threads.

However, you need to separately define social-thread and social-group. The BYS, DLs etc are social-groups which differ from a social-thread because they have a clearly defined purpose, set of internal policies and processes by which to progress through the heirarchy. Some of them are SW-knowledge questions, or board questions, or adopt a newbie etc.

Social-threads on the other hand have a "direction" (ie a theme), but not typically a purpose.

The concept of a social-thread is to provide a location where you can basically talk about anything that's going on in a conversational style of posting - almost as if you were in a bar with friends chatting over a beer or two. The social-thread where possible should adhere to the theme decided by the author of the thread (eg a pool party, cantina, aboard the deathstar).

Everyone who posted in the previous social-thread and welcome to post in the new one, providing they make some attempt to remain within theme. The waiting list isn't to start a new social-group, it's to decide the theme of the latest social-thread.

We already have a number of established social-groups, all of which have open doors to new members, and I'm pretty sure there's something for everyone there. The concept of the waiting list was to organise the number of social-threads, giving everyone the chance to pick their own theme.

edit

I realise that the past two have actually been social-threads of social-groups located in other parts of the JC (ie the 3SA Sarcasm Knights, and the Crimson Jedi) - we're reasonably lax about the theme the author chooses.
  13. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, when i joined in May 02, my first posts were all in social threads. Pool party social threads. just crap threads.

Hense why I had no clue who you were for the first year you were here.

I dislike Social Threads because they're too hard to keep track of, yet seemingly important community building goes on in there. I'd rather that important community building went on in threads that had specific purposes, and weren't so dudgum long, and hard to get into.

However, the specific policy we're talking about here is a good one. I remember back when most of the JC was a ton of threads that'd run off-topic pages upon pages ago (STTRHGAT was one of the only 10+ page threads that still stayed sort of on topic for a long time). It's good to see such spammery kept to specific threads, and some sort of waiting list is needed, or else new ones just get posted every time an old one is closed, and we end up with a front page full of 'My Social Thread is Better Than Yours - The Social Thread.'
  14. JediPrincessKas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm with Tracy on this one. Back when I joined in August of 02, I was totally into a social group. It helps you get aquainted with the boards and make new friends. Like Malkie said, there's pretty much something out there for everyone.

And I like the monthly social thread deal. If it were set up to where people could just post new social threads whenever they wanted, the JCC would be flooded with them. While a few can be fun, it's not what the forum is about. You can always join in on a social thread that's already started. :)

Hm. I really hope that made sense. That's why I just lurk in Comms and almost never post. :p
  15. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And I like the monthly social thread deal. If it were set up to where people could just post new social threads whenever they wanted, the JCC would be flooded with them.

I agree with this.

I propose that the ms allow 2 new social threads a month, and that each thread be evaluated every 2 weeks. If the thread is dead, then close it, and allow another one to start. If it's doing fine leave it.

I don't want the jcc to become flooded with social threads. I was just looking for a faster way to go through them, that would allow sucessful ones to stay around. Most people seem content with the way things are currently, so it seems like things will stay the way they are.
  16. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    How about a forum for just social threads?
  17. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  18. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    That's not a bad idea. I'd like that, SR.

I didn't read most of the thread, but after reading the first post, I can tell you one thing based off experience.

You say it's taking a long time NOW?

Try being FOURTH on the waiting list and having to wait SIX months to get a thread up.

If time is all your concerned about, you have it made.

My complaint would be you have established groups like the Dark Lords, Lightside, Blue Yoda, and Awsome council, who get to keep their threads, but I don't get to keep mine.

I waited all that time expecting to get a permanent spot in the JC community, that's why I didn't mind waiting.

But now I only get it for a month?

I guess this is a perfect instance of quid pro quo at work.
  19. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Who would possibly want to mod a social thread forum?
  20. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    that would be a nightmare.
  21. flowerbee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    With the number of posts just one of those things get? Fifty of them? *shudders*
  22. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    Interacting with people is overrated. We should have anti-social threads.

L8r
  23. flowerbee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wouldn't that be interacting with other people... just in a bitter, world-weary manner?
  24. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ha! You're kidding about the Social Thread forum idea, right? There's so many reasons that's a bad idea, it's hard to find a place to start...
  25. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Who would possibly want to mod a social thread forum?

Could it be any different from moderating the JCC?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.