main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC]New social threads in the JC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NJOfan215, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Uh....... modding social threads is the worst, if you're not in the group. having to read the random conversations that go on for pages and it's people you dont really know talking about stuff you're not really into? Bleh. That's why we tend to rely on the social threads being mostly self moderated (PMs to mods when there is trouble), and we just check every now and again.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I waited all that time expecting to get a permanent spot in the JC community, that's why I didn't mind waiting.

But now I only get it for a month?

Sorry, but no-one was ever offered a permanent spot in the JCC. Initially people were offered a 5,000 post cap, but that was revised to a month to prevent the crap threads going on for ever, and giving the popular threads a chance to live long enough to be worthwhile.

3. Alhon

Alhon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2005
    I know it's a little off topic...

WOuld I have to get approval to start an Offical thread, or can I just type it in the title? I'd like to start one that discusses the Homestar Runner cartoons. I PM'd a mod, but got no reply.

4. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    How long did you wait for a response, and has your PM actually been read yet ?

Yes, to be an "official" thread it needs to have Moderator approval.

5. Alhon

Feb 18, 2005
    I PM'd zacparis on March 18th. He said he'd ask the other Mods and get back to me, but never did.

6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah I remember that, I did ask about it in the JCC MS.

7. Alhon

Feb 18, 2005
  8. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

Ministry of Secrets

9. Alhon

Feb 18, 2005
    I see.

10. Darth Attorney

Darth Attorney Jedi Master star 2

Oct 24, 1999
    JCC works just fine as is.
    Leave it that way.

11. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    MS = Mod Squad, the JCC mods have their own private forum where they discuss JCC issues. I don't think I had a good enough answer about the Homestar Runner thing to get back to you, sorry about that.

12. Alhon

Feb 18, 2005
    No problem. WOuld have liked to see it fly though...

13. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

Once again I'll point out that the 3SA/JCC Sarcasm Knights need their own thread. I know there are a **** load of social groups in the JC, but we are the most active, hands down. Older social group threads are still allowed, but if normal thread is inactive for a bit it is locked. It should be the same for dead social groups. I got on the social thread waiting list before this on month long thing started. I didn't know it would be a social thread for everybody and closed in a month. It was the fastest moving thread in the JC besides the 3SA GIL. I've talked to Malkie and Amos about this and they know how I feel.

Give us a damn thread or stop telling us we are spamming others.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/nositttt/JCCSarcasm.jpg]

14. Darth Attorney

Oct 24, 1999
    Get in line with the rest of the kids who want to run their own e-hierarchy ;)

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Sarcasm Knights? The JCC doesn't appreciate sarcasm. Or so I've been told... or called out, rather, in this forum.

16. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It was the fastest moving thread in the JC besides the 3SA GIL.

a) Prove it.

b) Why should spam be rewarded?

c) Don't you have your own dedicated off-shoot board that you all post in anyway?

17. Darth Attorney

Oct 24, 1999
    It's amusing how the Sarcasm Knights are all about "keep the bastards honest" (<<< genuine figure of speech) and eliminating the double standards perpetrated by the administraion....and yet straight up expect a double standard to be made for them so they can jump the queue and start a new JCC social thread.

Funniest thing since Mr T. ;)

18. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Once again I'll point out that the 3SA/JCC Sarcasm Knights need their own thread.

No-one *needs* their own thread, and as Dingo points out you do have your offshoot board where you can post as much as you like without worrying about the restrictive rules of the JC. At this moment we have a waiting list of people who "need" social threads, and they should be given their chance for a corner plot in the JCC just as you had your chance.

The current social thread (The Crimson Jedi), is doing very well (it's also a social thread of a group of people from another forum, although they've done extremely well at welcoming and recruiting JCC members). It's been every bit as popular as yours has, and I'm confident the next one will too.

19. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

a) Prove it.

118 pages in 29 days. Most groups are lucky to have 118 posts in that amount of time. I'm sure you can multiply 25 posts x 118 pages

Proof

b) Why should spam be rewarded?

When it is actually funny and adds to the JC by giving people something to talk about besides computers. I'm not saying something that breaks the rules of this site should be glorified, but do we really want, *Hugs*, *Smile*, in every social thread?

c) Don't you have your own dedicated off-shoot board that you all post in anyway?

Yes, we do. So does the Awesome council. Ever heard of Dantooine Base? OMG!! They still have their social threads and they get maybe 50 posts per month.

No-one *needs* their own thread, and as Dingo points out you do have your offshoot board where you can post as much as you like without worrying about the restrictive rules of the JC. At this moment we have a waiting list of people who "need" social threads, and they should be given their chance for a corner plot in the JCC just as you had your chance.

Malkie, I hear what you are saying, but isn't this forum about what makes the community happy? For the most part the MS sits on their pedestal and looks down at the posters here. Rarely do y'all listen to what users here think would make this place more enjoyable.

20. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    So does the Awesome council. Ever heard of Dantooine Base? OMG!!

Snowman, I think maybe only a few ACers post at the Base. The rest of us haven't been there in a few years.

21. Darth Attorney

Oct 24, 1999
    " Rarely do y'all listen to what users here think would make this place more enjoyable. "

It's not really fair or accurate to imply that the vast majority of users here at the JC would enjoy your thread though, or even know who you are or what your group is about.

I think what you mean to say is that a small group of users (probably around 15 or less) want to be allowed to chat in their own dedicated thread in JCC. There are rules in place governing that so what you should be doing, instead of talking up your group's ability to post in an uncomfortably rapid fashion, is try to change that rule. Which is obviously the aim of this thread and not to provide you with a soapbox for perceived inequality cause on the one hand you say that you deserve to flout the rules and yet if it happened to anyone else you'd all be in pink fits.

22. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Yes, we do. So does the Awesome council. Ever heard of Dantooine Base? OMG!! They still have their social threads and they get maybe 50 posts per month.

That would have been true a couple years ago.
    I would love to have another Knights thread around, but I don't mind waiting.

23. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Katya_Jade posted on 4/23/05 4:44am
    Snowman, I think maybe only a few ACers post at the Base. The rest of us haven't been there in a few years.
    [hr][/blockquote]

I think he was commenting on the DantooineBase being an offshoot of the JC, and it has it's own social thread (ie the "Illegal Dantooine Base Gathering").

However, the OT (which I think he's referring to) [u]does not[/u] have a social thread in the JCC. Although there is some overlap, the Awesome Council is entirely independent of the OT. It is a homage to the Advisory Council (before your time iirc, Snowball), and unrelated to the offshoot board known as the OT. There are some common members, but let's not reopen *that* wound ;)

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Darth_Snowball][b]Darth_Snowball[/b][/link] [b]posted on 4/23/05 4:00am[/b][hr] For the most part the MS sits on their pedestal and looks down at the posters here. Rarely do y'all listen to what users here think would make this place more enjoyable.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Your first comment is highly unconstructive, and completely untrue. If we didn't care then Comms wouldn't exist.

We always listen to what users have to say, but you need to realise that you are a single user, and we cannot accomodate your every wish and desire. We have a few thousand other regular JC posters that are as equally entitled to a say in the running of the JC as you are. You wanted you own social thread - you had the chance, now it's someone else's turn. You are totally free to rejoin the waiting list and revive your thread in the future.

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Darth_Snowball][b]Darth_Snowball[/b][/link] [b]posted on 4/23/05 4:00am[/b][hr]Malkie, I hear what you are saying, but isn't this forum about what makes the community happy?
    [hr][/blockquote]

But it's not about what the community wants, it's about what *you* want. Some members of the community would like it if we prevented anyone under the age of 18 joining, others would like us to have a dedicated sports forum, some people have also suggested in the past that we remove all the moderators and run the forum without them. Thing is, we can't give everyone exactly what they want because they shout for it in Comms - it simply isn't possible.

[b]edit[/b]

You still haven't justified your "need" for a thread - especially given that you already collectively post in the GIL social thread in the 3SA. That's the thread where you all got together, so why not stay there ?

24. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Because of our desire to invade the YJCC Malkie.;)

25. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    As the originater of this thread i feel that i should say something here. I started this thread to try to revise an existing policy that i think can use some revision. My proposed system would alow the knights to stick around (providing that the thread remained popular) and would alow me to get a thread faster, but i don't feel the benefits of my proposal are confined to myself and the knihgts. Also under my proposal, i would indeed get a thread faster, but it might only live for 2 weeks if it's a dud. In the current system it was garunteed to live for a month, so the benefits to me are actualy debatable. Any way it seems like most people are happy with the current rules, so i dropped the matter. It still seems like most people are fine with the way things are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.