main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC]New social threads in the JC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NJOfan215, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

If the creator rarely posts in a thread anymore, and has it locked, is there a possibility that a different user could start a new thread with the same title?

No, because obviously new social threads are not allowed. [face_frustrated]

2. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    No, because obviously new social threads are not allowed.

Ah, but it has already happened. Happened several months ago actually. Before the 1 month social thread rule was enacted.

3. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    No, because obviously new social threads are not allowed.

It wouldn't exactly be new; more of an overhaul then a new social thread. A new social thread implies that said thread is starting from scratch.

4. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    I, Charn suggest that the 3SA Sarcasm Knights have a thread in the JCC, full of hot chicks I might add.

5. Darth Attorney

Darth Attorney Jedi Master star 2

Oct 24, 1999
    OOoooooh!
    Look at them all come out of the woodwork! :^0

Yeah, I created the name and the wrote the rules governing the Dark Lords social thread and its hierarchy back in '01. But since then it's all changed, the majority of the discussion and group interaction has been actively encouraged to shift to the phpbb by whoever " leads" the current group. They've also removed those original rules and severed pretty much every tie to the JCC, going as far as removing the "Of The JCC" section of the title from the header at their most recent satellite boards. They don't "patrol" for trolls or report flame wars etc. As I said before, the JCC thread is more of just a recruitment thread to shuffle new members over to the phpbb.

So if you ask me if I'm a high ranking member, yeah I was but it's nothing like what I conceived anymore. The Shadow Sith Army (although having a dumb name ;) ) are far closer to the DL's I envisioned in '01.

The whole problem could be solved if the DL's thread were made a sticky at the top of the forum and titled apprpriately (because really, the it's nothing more than a recruitment thread the current members keep "up" so new members will join), which would erase the need to make a social thread, which free up a space in the permanent roster for the Sarcasm Knights (who obviously have the numbers of members and traffic to warrant a thread in JCC). All this could happen as soon as the DL's are due to refresh their thread, when they reach whatever number the current post cap is on JCC threads.

I dunno, sue me for coming up with constructive idea's to this problem!

6. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    [image=http://onfinite.com/libraries/89832/e90.jpg]

[image=http://www.starwars.jp/character/image/darth_vader.jpg]

"Your destiny lies with us JCC.

JCC; "No, that's not true, THAT'S IMMPOSIBLE!"

"Search your feelings and the post counts and you will know it to be true!!"

JCC; "NNNOOOOOOOOO! NNOOOO!!!"

:p

Give us the thread, we will do you all proud I promise! :)

7. cc2318

cc2318 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    heh, can't you just change bad idea threads into social threads?

Ex: return of the sith is gona be baaad!
    Ex2: star waers sux.

since you can't say "in before the lock" anymore, why not say something else? there's an abundance of crappy threads out there :D

8. Darth_Snowball

Jan 21, 2004

Attorney, that is a great plan.

9. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    As a neutral party in this particular discussion I'd like to add my two cents.

When I registered back in '02 I didn't post, I lurked. Once in a while I'd check into the social threads but I didn't post because I felt it was cliquey. I was wrong.
    I started posting late last year/early this year and was welcomed by everyone in there. Note, it's not only the knights, it's acquaintances too who have found friends amongst the group.

I don't see any reason why the Knights shouldn't have their own thread in the JCC. It makes perfect sense to me. If you can allow other groups to do so, then there is no reason they can't.

Why not give them a chance?

10. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    As I said before, the JCC thread is more of just a recruitment thread to shuffle new members over to the phpbb.

That's funny; we do not go to every member and say "JOIN US!" It's a social thread, and a group designed not only to promote good behavior on TFN, but other boards as well. Well, that's what it is now, anyway. At least we don't go around abshing other groups because they evolve. :)

So if you ask me if I'm a high ranking member, yeah I was but it's nothing like what I conceived anymore.

A bid for power and Modship? I have to agree, it sure isn't that anymore. We have more noble goals in mind. :)

I don't see any reason why the Knights shouldn't have their own thread in the JCC. It makes perfect sense to me. If you can allow other groups to do so, then there is no reason they can't.

Why not give them a chance?

I'm all for it, really. If they want a social thread, let them have one. The fear of social threads cluttering up the JCC should not be foremost on people's minds; its the amount of useless, pointless threads that are created daily.

11. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    Seriously, I hardly ever post in Comms, and read this junk even less. I do have respect for everyone here though. But as sort of a "comms outsider", it seems like all this stuff is going on sorta because you don't want the knights to have a thread.

I would assume because you think we are bad users, and that we have something negative to bring to the JCC.

I would argue the exact opposite fact, that the Knights bring life and fun into the 3SA/JCC.

I was once not a knight. I thought they were the funniest people here, the most interesting and the most engaging.

I bet if you ask people they will say the same.

So why we are hiding behind some "rule" that is only a rule because you say so, is sorta ridculous in my opinion. :)

FF

12. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    BTW, I'm all for a Sarcasim Knights thread too. They're just like all the other ones (community building, friend making, that kinda thing), so why shouldn't they be allowed their own thread?

13. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    LadyWhilla has said almost exactly what I was going to say about this. It isn't just the Knights who've made friends with each other in the 3SA GIL, and it'd be much appreciated if there was still a thread for everyone who's got to know each other there to socialize in when 3SA is no more.

14. crackvader

crackvader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    I just thought I'd voice my opinion here for all it's worth...

It would be very sweet of you admins to let us have our own permanant social thread in the JCC.

Thank you.
    :)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/bootcut/jccknights.jpg]

15. Darth Attorney

Oct 24, 1999
    "A bid for power and Modship? I have to agree, it sure isn't that anymore. We have more noble goals in mind."

Please don't flame me, Robal, there's really no need and the Comms rules are very strict.

The Dark Lords don't have any interaction with the wider JCC anymore because all of their posting activity has been moved to a purpose-built satellite board. A forum set up to run independantly of the JC. Except I expect you'll all come flooding back after this post to prove just how "active" your JCC social thread is. Everyone tune in for a DL posting frenzy in JCC! I don't doubt the link you've already posted to this thread in the DL Master's private forum will draw many eyes to this discussion. ;)

And that's cool, as long as the mods are happy to allow a thread in JCC that's designed to send JC members to another board and eschew their activity here. Maybe that's what Philip Wise wants the JC to be, a conduit for other sites to grow their membership. Oh wait!

Maybe I'll kick up a MillenniumFalcon.com Survivors social group and use it as a shell to funnel users over to another site. Hmmmmm......

It's simply not fair, Robal, that the DL's use the JCC as a vehicle for their own forum's success when JC-centric groups are totally left out in the cold. I'm not proposing the DL's lifeline be cut off entirely, I'm proposing it be honest about what it is and treated accordingly. I don't think the mods will have an issue with making a DL's Recruitment thread because that's essentially what the social thread is at the moment in everything but name.

16. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    DA, I've personally always wanted the DL thread to be more active and 'social', but it's up to each individual to want to post in there in the first place. To be honest, you have a point, I'll give you that.

I personally think the Knights should be allowed their own thread. They kept their thread very active and their group seems to be building every week or so. Especially since the Ep3 countdown thread won't exist shortly after the movie comes out, they need a thread to socialize in. I've seen what the Knights did to that social thread (the countdown), they took over it.. and did a great job in doing so.

On that waiting list, I bet there are threads that are only going to be social, if the people who are going to most frequently post in those threads are unhappy that they will eventually lose their thread for another, then why not just pop over to the next in line and just continue with their conversations as normal? And so on. It is probably just a social thread, not a group (unlike the knights), so I don't see why there should be a problem in letting this group have a thread of their own.

Edit: I tried to word it better.

17. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    To be honest, I don't see why the Knights couldn't take over the fecal slot. Since Viper & Smelly left, there hasn't been much poop talk going on in the JC. Even the poop forum on our offshoot board doesn't see many posts. Dunno how SLR, Horax & the guys would feel about it, but I wouldn't mind.

18. Darth_Snowball

Jan 21, 2004

Pete, that would rock.

The Knights of The JCC Poopy Sarcasm Table. [face_laugh]

19. crackvader

crackvader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    ^party pooper :p

20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I just love all of the positive benefits to this site that off-site JC-spinoff boards bring to the table.

21. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    IMO the only reason i basically go to the spoilers forum is because of the GIL..im not a knight and probably never will..but i frequent in there often...and once the movie is out that thread, as people said before, is useless.

letting the knights and us "associates" have our own thread would be a lot easier on people listen to snow, he has a good idea here..

22. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    SLR could request a name change for the thread... that would work for me

23. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Snowball(et al), as malkie was explaining earlier, everyone who has a social thread wants theirs to be permanent. That's not possible with a waiting list. Even before the one month deal, they were going to be locked at 5,000 posts. As for abandoning the waiting list, it was put in place for a reason - to prevent the JCC from being clogged with social threads, as it had been before the waiting list came around.

I understand that your thread was popular, and that it has many members, but that doesn't mean that it is deserving of its own thread. It's simply not fair of us to allow y'all to have your own permanent thread but to not let everyone.

24. Darth_Snowball

Jan 21, 2004

SLR could request a name change for the thread... that would work for me

I'll talk to "Sir Tampon" (SLR) tomorrow.

I'm sure he will be on board.

Looks like the Knights will have our thread, boys and girls. :D

25. Darth Attorney

Oct 24, 1999
    What if the Sarcasm Knights replaced a current permanent social thread, Amos?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.