main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC]New social threads in the JC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NJOfan215, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    It's already been pointed out that there's a significant knight-fecal crossover... surely there couldn't be any problems changing the name of the poop thread to reflect this? As one of the few poop-boys that isn't a knight, I don't mind at all... can't see anyone else objecting.

2. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

There should be no problem with that. The Cowbell Mafia thread was also ran by ApolloSmileGirl, a Knight. I know she would turn that thread over.

3. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    "to prevent the JCC from being clogged with social threads"

this whole thing is social amos. it's just the divisions you guys have made. if i'm talking to someone about "Grean Tea or Black-Which is better" or what ever in some thread, I'm being social.

That's the point of the JCC, isn't it?

That's what they tell me.
    :)

FF

4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    And then what happens if other groups wanted to be the one to replace the grandfathered-in social thread? There's no fair way for the JCC mods to make that call, and either way we would hypothetically decide would piss someone off. The way we have it now is the best way to be fair to all (potentially) involved.

this whole thing is social amos. it's just the divisions you guys have made. if i'm talking to someone about "Grean Tea or Black-Which is better" or what ever in some thread, I'm being social.

That's not what we're calling a 'social thread' What we are calling a 'social thread' is a thread were people get together and chitchat about random things - "How is the weather there?", "How'd XYZ sports team do", etc. Too many of these kind of threads is detrimental to the JCC.

5. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    Amos - if SLR agrees to change the title of the poop thread to incorporate the knights, that wouldn't mess with the rules you've set up. It would breathe life into a dying, albeit grandfathered, thread; it would resolve the problem of 60+ people wanting their own social thread; and it wouldn't **** anyone off as far as I can see.

6. FORCEFED

Nov 27, 2002
    Too many of these kind of threads is detrimental to the JCC.

why?

FF

7. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    I think it does, or at least sets a precedent that will in the future. If we start letting currently grandfathered-in permanent social threads incorporate or be turned over to other new social groups, there's going to be(obviously) more than one group that wants to be the group to take over the grandfathered-in thread. Now that may not happen in this particular case, but if we do it here, we'd have to do it in the future to be fair, right? And what happens when two(or more groups) want to take over the permanent social thread? That's a problem. And that's why I don't think we can do it in this case.

8. Darth Attorney

Darth Attorney Jedi Master star 2

Oct 24, 1999
    "And then what happens if other groups wanted to be the one to replace the grandfathered-in social thread?"

Yeah, I see your point but I think you need to re-read my suggestion back there.

"The Dark Lords of the JC" is not actually a social thread. In essence, it's recruitment thread designed to drive traffic to an off-site forum and sell merchandise as outlined here. Does Philip Wise endorse links to merchandise sites other than Rebelscum?

Either way, the simple solution would to be make a DL's announcement/sticky at the top of JCC with links for new members to follow when they reach the thread cap. They can have a member start it and everything, it only takes a mod to edit the first post and make it sticky.

Then a group who actually deserve a JCC social thread (why is there a social group operating out of 3SA....it's not a community forum!) can take that spot. IMO, the Sarcasm Knights stand to bring the greatest number of members and new traffic to JCC, which will of course spill into other threads across the forum.

Alternatively, you could have some kind of poll or something and involved the Community itself in choosing which thread/group should assume that permanent spot in the roster. Nothing is being lost here. The DL's still retain their receruitment thread, new members and idea's are brought into the forum and, in the worst case, a Community event brings the population out their normal social threads to participate in a poll open to everyone.

Where's the downside here?

".....we'd have to do it in the future to be fair, right?"

I totally undertsnad where you're coming from but what you're proposing is simply manitaining an inferior status quo. There's no progression here because it's being stifled. If you think of JCC as a Darwinian survival of the fittest, if those old Grandfathered-in threads have fallen off the track then in all fairness......they deserve to go.

9. FORCEFED

Nov 27, 2002
    well if the starter of the thread okay's it, then it should be okay.

it's their thread.

their concept.

they should own it.

FF

10. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    I for one, ain't going anywhere near a fecal board. We should have our own thread though.

11. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    DA - I see your point, but if the DL's thread is just being used to recruit members to an offsite message board and to sell their merchandise, then that thread would probably need to be shut down(IMHO). However, that's not my call to make unilaterally. The JCC mods would have to discuss that. And even then, I still don't like the idea of the Knights taking over their thread for the reasons I outlined above.

Alternatively, you could have some kind of poll or something and involved the Community itself in choosing which thread/group should assume that permanent spot in the roster. Nothing is being lost here. The DL's still retain their receruitment thread, new members and idea's are brought into the forum and, in the worst case, a Community event brings the population out their normal social threads to participate in a poll open to everyone.

I don't think a poll in Community is really a fair way to decide who could fill a spot like that either. Too much potential for sock abuse, and member bias, etc. Kinda like the Election game disaster alot of older members bring up when voting on moderators is suggested.

well if the starter of the thread okay's it, then it should be okay.

it's their thread.

their concept.

they should own it.

Please read my post above. That's not a fair way of doing things. And also, they don't OWN anything here. Phillip does.

12. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    Amos - the logic presented earlier was that the knights could post in the fecal thread... that it would make little difference given the broad co-incidence between fecal/knight membership.

There is precedent for thread names being changed at the request of their author.

Where's the problem?

13. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    I think a point that has somewhat been ignored here is that the Sarcasm Knights (currently at least) operate in the 3SA forum. However, not everyone who "fits in" with the Sarcasm group is spoiled. I myself haven't visited the 3SA GIL because I'm spoiler free. I accept that it is my decision to remain spoiler free, but should I be penalized from a potentially good thread because of this? I believe the answer is no.

I understand why the current system is in place, and I don't really have a huge problem with it, but I think something like the Sarcasm Knights could help stop a lot of derailing in other threads at the very least. Plus, if there were a thread in the YJCC (like there was for a short time) then the spoiler-free people (like myself) can have a chance to be apart of a group like the Knights, or at least participate in the discussion thereof.

Additionally, I know that the 3SA forum won't be eliminated right after Episode III comes out, but how much longer afterwards will a "spoiler thread" for a movie that has passed it's release date remain? I know that it will be like AOTC and just turn into a discussion of the film itself. How fitting are the Sarcasm Knights in such a place? And the GIL, will kind of be redundant, unless your planning on seeing the movie a thousand times (which many are, I know). Unlike Snowball, I do not believe that you are targeting the Knights, but do agree that the YJCC would be the better for a thread that could "contain" the Knights. I realize that this puts you guys at MS in a difficult situation for the sake of consistancy with other social threads. But I believe that the Knights pose a more powerful influence on the YJCC. No, I am not laying claim to know how the YJCC feels or thinks of the Knights. But I am saying that I highly doubt that the YJCC would be upset at it's creation.

As for the idea of posting in other threads... I agree with snowball. It isn't quite the same as having "a place to call your own." I understand and realize that you can't give everything to the posters of the JC that we want based upon rules. But I fail to see how a thread for the Knights would harm the JCC.

Thanks for your time

JMA

14. FORCEFED

Nov 27, 2002
    I'm talking about intellectual ownership. if i post a cure for cancer here, i'm not expecting philip to go take credit for it. if he does, i'm suing him, regardless of the TOS.

my point about the threads was that if one of us has a thread, and wants to let it morph and evolve over time, then we should be able to do that.

anything else just looks like a hold out.
    it says. "you can't have a thread", "you can't alter a thread you have" and "actually, we should take that thread from you too"...

it's a little choiceless. and funless. and that's the point of these boards. this isn't work. it's play.

let us have fun. :)

FF

15. Darth Attorney

Darth Attorney Jedi Master star 2

Oct 24, 1999
    "Kinda like the Election game disaster alot of older members bring up when voting on moderators is suggested."

everyone points to the Election Game as the massive failing of polls but there has always been a fool-proof way to run public polls that none of the mods ever seem worth the effort.

It's simply telling users to vote on options and continually reminding them to post which option they voted for. No Fan Force ring ins, no new members with 0 posts. Then a tally is made between the number of posts for each option and the number of votes on the poll. Any votes on the poll without a corresponding post is discarded.

It'd actually be kinda cool in JCC. I ran this exact thing in EUC while I was moderating it and it worked really well. At least it makes it as fair as possible and involves the whole Community.

Just a suggestion, might be a cool Community event ;)

16. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I don't see a problem with having the knights join us. We could be the fecl knihgts, or the knights of round toilet, or something else.

I do think i have brought up a valid point about the president with the BYS.

17. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    This is the current list up until me:

4. Darth_Deception - Request Date 11/18/04
    5. dudeski - Request date 10/19/04
    6. Mystralgurl - Request date 11/29/04
    7. FORCE-WIELDER1 - Request date 12/07/04
    8. LordJoda-181 - Request date 12/17/04
    9. 1baldwookie - Request date 12/26/04
    10. Armenian_Jedi - Request date 1/29/05

I wanna know how making people wait half a year for something they get to keep for a month seems fair to the mods. It just makes no sense to me. I have no ideas on a better system, but this one ain't good. I know that much.

18. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I don't get how anyone can not think having lots of large social threads is bad for jcc. I mean, there can't be anyone that is a member of all of them. Basically, if you're not in the group, you ignore the thread. It's intimidating to try to jump in and join one as a n00b... the threads are huge, and everyone is already friends. I know they seemed impenetrable to me as a n00b.

19. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

Additionally, I know that the 3SA forum won't be eliminated right after Episode III comes out, but how much longer afterwards will a "spoiler thread" for a movie that has passed it's release date remain? I know that it will be like AOTC and just turn into a discussion of the film itself. How fitting are the Sarcasm Knights in such a place? And the GIL, will kind of be redundant, unless your planning on seeing the movie a thousand times (which many are, I know). Unlike Snowball, I do not believe that you are targeting the Knights, but do agree that the YJCC would be the better for a thread that could "contain" the Knights. I realize that this puts you guys at MS in a difficult situation for the sake of consistancy with other social threads. But I believe that the Knights pose a more powerful influence on the YJCC. No, I am not laying claim to know how the YJCC feels or thinks of the Knights. But I am saying that I highly doubt that the YJCC would be upset at it's creation.

Right on, J_M_A. The 3SA social thread is called 'Get in Line". With the movie being less than a month away there will be no more line to wait in.

I bet this one month rule was decided by 4-5 mods. Why not bend the rules for what several hundred people would like to see happen? Seriously what harm would be done? No other group has pleaded their case as we have and the support will continue to grow. It's not like we are asking to be allowed to use explicit profanity. All we want is a place to gather with our own name on the thread. I really think we deserve it, because of the fun and humor we bring to the JC.

Edit: Good point, Armenian_Jedi.

Nice, Tracy. Notice that the only three posters who are against this are mods. :rolleyes:

Once again the community does not have a voice.

20. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    We're going around in circles here. 3 of the 4 JCC Mods have explained clear reasons for the policy we have. Your single arguement is that you "deserve" it, yet you haven't at any point explained why you deserve anything over any other regular JCC poster.

The one month rule is there for a very good reason - sorry you can't see that, but we're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.