main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Once again... (Mod coverage in the JCC)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DVader316, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    ...the JCC is being spammed up with at least four pointless, retarded threads started by the same two trolls. Just figured Id drop a line here since there doesnt seem to be anyone moderating that forum at the moment.

malkie edit title edited to reflect content more accurately.

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    i've found that the moderators for the JCC are rarely around when needed. Of course, I understand there are greater things in life then a board, but it would be good to have a moderator out of the four online.

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Generally, if one cannot find the moderator of a specific forum, one goes to the "users online" page and finds one of the bright, shiny, coloured names, checks to see if they're a mod, and then PMs the moderator, who can take care of it. :)

EDIT: Users Online

Dana

4. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Yup. Strange thing is, I saw Dashy on moments before these stupid ass threads started up.

Im well aware of the stuff you mentioned and checked that before I posted here, Dantana. Two of the mods were online, but to be honest, I really didnt feel like PMing them. I figure that if they ever decide to stop by the JCC sometime tonight than they'll see what Im talking about.

5. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    true, there shouldn't be a need to pm a mod of their own forum problems if they are doing the job properly

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, if he was called away from the computer and hasn't been able to get back to it, or if he went to bed or something, he wouldn't be able to see it until he returned. Which can be, yes, frustrating, but unfortunately, one must eventually sleep. But if the mods for that section are not online, go to the next available moderator.

Dana

7. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Are you available ?

8. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I get around to the forum when I have the opportunity and unfortunately I put my school work before the JCC, I'll be the first to tell you that.

Two of the mods were online, but to be honest, I really didnt feel like PMing them.

Interesting, yet you felt like creating a thread in Comms? Seems to me a simple PM saying that there were some problem users would require less of an effort on your part.

9. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Like i said before, the boards are far from the most important thing in life :)

Here's a suggestion though. Since we Aussies are online around this time as everyone else sleeps the night away, how about having a few more of us around?

10. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Generally, if one cannot find the moderator of a specific forum, one goes to the "users online" page and finds one of the bright, shiny, coloured names, checks to see if they're a mod, and then PMs the moderator, who can take care of it.

The problem is when it's not an isolated occurrence. Simply put, the JCC needs more mod coverage. Three of the four have split duties within the administration and the fourth handles nights by himself. That's simply not enough for a forum that active, and it's going to lead to the burnout of at least one of them.

Amazing.

11. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I agree.

12. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    yes , I should promoted to mod so that the JCC will have more coverage .

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Here's a suggestion though. Since we Aussies are online around this time as everyone else sleeps the night away, how about having a few more of us around?

There are Americans and others who are also consistently around during this time as well.

It's not just a matter of picking people from a crowd baesd on when they're online. It pretty much goes without saying that it's a bit more involved than that, and there isn't much in the way of qualified people these days.

Aside from that, I agree with B. The problem appeared to be diminishing recently, but there still hasn't been consistent coverage over the past several weeks.

14. Admiral-Snackbar-81

Admiral-Snackbar-81 Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2004
    yes , I should promoted to mod so that the JCC will have more coverage .

I don't think ANYONE has ever LOBBIED to be a mod and been successful. Anyone that incessant has an agenda.

EDIT: and lets be fair. there are only FOUR mods in the JCC, they can't catch EVERY time someone acts foolish. And no that doesn't mean we need a 5th, certain poster who i already replied to in this comment

15. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I don't think ANYONE has ever LOBBIED to be a mod and been successful.

Ah, I wouldn't be so sure of that..... ;)

16. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I think an Aussie or Kiwi mod would be a good idea. It pretty much assures coverage.

17. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    There are Americans and others who are also consistently around during this time as well.

I don't doubt any of that for a second. But that doesn't mean that they are constantly on watch, just 'online'.

It's not just a matter of picking people from a crowd based on when they're online. It pretty much goes without saying that it's a bit more involved than that, and there isn't much in the way of qualified people these days.

Of course the job calls for a greater level of responsibility and involvement within the boards as a whole. Experience is difficult to gain in such an area especially if there is little in the way of understanding what it means to be a moderator. It's more then just deleting a few posts and banning a few people.

18. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Amazing, I agree with you, but with it being summer and all, moderators are taking vacations, which would lead to the inevitable lack of mod coverage. Also, having only four moderators instead of five probably doesn't help :)

19. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Amazing, I agree with you, but with it being summer and all, moderators are taking vacations, which would lead to the inevitable lack of mod coverage.

And it's always seemed rather silly to me that so many forums always have "just enough" coverage rather than "more than enough" coverage. Any mod vacation/break/emergency and the forum is instantly lacking coverage. Another mod or two would greatly benefit the JC, regardless of the time of year.

Amazing.

20. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    While the mod coverage in YJCC is lacking, it might be in the best interest of the mod squad to pop in every once in a while when they're online to make sure that threads with blatant flames and swears aren't making it to 50+ posts.

Completely hypothetical, of course.

21. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    And it's always seemed rather silly to me that so many forums always have "just enough" coverage rather than "more than enough" coverage. Any mod vacation/break/emergency and the forum is instantly lacking coverage. Another mod or two would greatly benefit the JC, regardless of the time of year.

You make a great point :)

22. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Another good point Amazing.

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    mazing, I agree with you, but with it being summer and all, moderators are taking vacations, which would lead to the inevitable lack of mod coverage. Also, having only four moderators instead of five probably doesn't help happy

It's not just about the number of moderators, though. If there were three moderators who had the equivalent of malkie's online time, there would be no need for anything more than that.

In short, you need online time as much as you need additional moderators.

24. Admiral-Snackbar-81

Admiral-Snackbar-81 Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2004
    A question on the entire JCC issue while it is an issue

A moderator closes the fake user name bashing comet thread.......

There are at least 3 to 4 other spam forums on the mainpage, all of which at some point blatently violate a TOS, and one in which a JCC mod POSTED in. but no lock/ban/pyoonishment.

QUALITY over QUANTITY. Adding a mod who is online as much as Malkie is better than adding a mod who only creates confusion due to not knowing the procedure and creating havoc

25. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    exactly right Knight, and here's where some of the problems occur. Not all the mods are available 24/7, hence the reason why I suggested having Australian or European moderators, therefore sharing the load to ensure the boards are moderated at all times.

I say this because the longer the unwanted posts or harsh language, etc. are available on the boards before they are removed, etc., the longer the time our younger readers have a chance to view them, which isn't a good thing at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.