main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Once again... (Mod coverage in the JCC)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DVader316, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Matt [face_love]

Malkie, just a random suggestion, but you might want to ask people to PM you their suggestions, rather than post it in the thread.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    um, yeah, I though that kinda went without saying, but then again this is the JC.

So, to clarify again, you can always PM me with suggestions of people you think might make a good mod candidate. However, I stress again that we are not actively looking at this time for a new moderator.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I hope that short insight into moderating helps you understand why a Mod might not instantly reply to your PM.

Yes, it helps. I understand a reply won't happen instantly, but there are times when it's taken a lot longer than 10-15 minutes. I'm not complaining at all, I'm just pointing put my experiences.

And those who beg at every opportunity to be made a moderator are always those that make the worst choice for the position.

Well you can't blame him for not trying. :p

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    me .. beg .. never

:p

5. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    It has always been MS protocol for canidates to be nominated by mods and then voted on by the MS. I feel that if a user is an obvious choice/contender for a position that they will stick out and the administration will take notice of their great behavior/posting habits. The system isn't full proof however, nothing is. I would be in favor of keeping things the way they are because it has not failed us to this point (almost 6 years). As they say, if it isn't broke then don't fix it.

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    While thats very true - I personally have no problem accepting suggestions from anyone. I'm online at board-time night, so there's every chance I'd miss someone during the busier daytime hours.

Thats just me, and the accepted nomination process is not up for debate.

7. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    I've noticed many posts that would be considered flames slipping through lately. A problem arose the other night [I can't exactly recall specifics--I'm high on cold medicine right now ;)] but I looked for a JCC mod to be online and there was no one there.

8. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    If no-one is around then still PM the links to any JCC mod. I'll have a look at anything that might have been missed, and I will issue retro-active bans for serious offenses.

I banned someone this morning for something they posted last night. However I can easily miss thing if they are on previous pages - I can't read everything thats been posted since last I was online, but I'll certainly have a look through when I get online to find missed comments.

9. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    It has always been MS protocol for canidates to be nominated by mods and then voted on by the MS.

But, as far as I know at least, the MS hasn't been opposed to members making suggestions. If you don't think they're good suggestions that's fine, but people should at least be able to make them.

10. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    Zacparis- I know from my experience, that I'll leave for the night but my name shows up in the "online" list for the next hour. User X sees a problem and pm's me and another mod. I don't get the pm until many hours later, long after it's been taken care of.

Carmen-I don't think anyone is saying that we won't take suggestions. Like you said, we might not agree that the person is a good choice, but we'll consider it.

edit-also, someone said that maybe we need more mods. While that might be the case, there were also people complaining that 5 mods led to "overmoderating".

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Another reason why I didnt PM you or Katya (who was on at the time) was that in the past, normally when I PM a mod about something like that they dont get back to me for some time

Well, I can't speak for other mods, but I know when I get a PM on a problem, I check into it immediately. Sometimes, if it's serious it might take me a few minutes to reply to the user's PM simply because I'm editing/banning, etc. However, I would always encourage the users to PM a mod online when they see a problem.

As for the coverage - we probably could use one more person to fill the evening gaps, but, quite honestly, the forum in general has been pretty quiet of late. What happened last night was unfortunate, but in many cases, trolls look for times when the mods aren't online to spam it up. There's probably never going to be a way to be 100% covered 365 days a year.

I've noticed many posts that would be considered flames slipping through lately

I'd really appreciate you sending me - or another mod - a link to those comments you feel are flames so we can check it out.

12. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Dude, I like totally said all that on the last page :p

13. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, well...I'm saying it now!

14. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/16734110/

I dont' even know why that thread was allowed to go on as long as it did.

15. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Zacparis- I know from my experience, that I'll leave for the night but my name shows up in the "online" list for the next hour. User X sees a problem and pm's me and another mod. I don't get the pm until many hours later, long after it's been taken care of.

I knew there was a lag, but up to an hour? That certainly explains a few things... [face_thinking]

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I always click on "logoff" rather than just close the browser window.......I think that makes the difference on if you appear on line or not :)

17. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
    I for one would like to see more coverage at night especially on Friday and Saturday nights. Lately there are been quite a few times I've looked for a MOD and even taken to IMing a MOD because of problems.

2 cents given, buy yourself something fancy. 8-}

18. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The forum doesn't need more mods, it just needs mods who do their job. I see malkie around and doing stuff the most. I haven't been there much in the last week or so, but that's how it's been since he was promoted.

If you can't be around enough to do your job, don't say "I'm busy" and keep thinking you can be a mod--step down for a while, or altogether. I know that at my boards, I had my times when I rarely felt like posting, but I still logged in pretty frequently to check on things.

19. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    One issue I've noticed is that when, for example, a non-JCC mod gets called in to assist, people freak out. I'd just like to clarify that we moderators can, if necessary, moderate in another area. We have assigned areas, but we help out where we can. For example, if we come across some blatant rule-breaking in a forum we're browsing, like swearing, we've been requested to deal with it if we find it. There's no need to pitch a fit and complain about mods being "power hungry". We're just lending a hand to our fellow mods. And we have ways of tracking all this stuff, so we know what goes on with this.

Dana

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    One issue I've noticed is that when, for example, a non-JCC mod gets called in to assist, people freak out

Not really.

I'd say "freaking out" typically happens when an outside moderator makes a poor decision, or otherwise unnecessarily oversteps their boundaries.

It's generally best to leave judgement calls to the forum moderators.

Also, when possible, it's good to have outside moderators who are familiar with another forum handle the moderating if necessary.

21. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    The forum doesn't need more mods, it just needs mods who do their job. I see malkie around and doing stuff the most.

You have to keep in mind that malkie's also the only JCC mod that has no other forums/duties to take care of. So you sort of have to expect to see more of him than the other three JC mods, who are doing their jobs, it's just that they have more to worry about and at times YJCC may have to take a backseat to something more important at the moment.

22. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Maddux has raised a vaild point. The current mods, besides malkie, have a lot on their plate. If (and at the moment it seems a big if) a fifth moderator is brought in, I see that as an opportunity not only to help keep the forum well kept, but to also aid those other mods who have plenty already on their plate. There is, however, a greater advantage to have a mod or two that does not have any other commitements within the boards as that will allow more time for them to keep an eye on the on board, instead of two or three and whatever else they may have.

We all (i think :p ) have social lives as well that we have to take into account. I know I am around here probably a lot longer then I should be, but some of the mods have much more important things to take care of away from the boards. I'm amazed that some of them can do what they are doing, it's a true measure of their ability, so to ask too much of them isn't right.

23. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    If those other duties prevent them from doing their job to the best of their abilities, are they really the best ones for the job?

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    If those other duties prevent them from doing their job to the best of their abilities, are they really the best ones for the job?

I don't see where you are going with that. I don't think Kate would have accepted the admin position if she couldn't do it on top of her JCC duties - same goes for Dash and Saga, or Nashira and icons. Do you think things would work better with a dedicated icon's Mod, or have Kate just mod the Comms forum ?

If (and at the moment it seems a big if) a fifth moderator is brought in

As I've said before, we really aren't looking at bringing in a fifth moderator.

You have to keep in mind that malkie's also the only JCC mod that has no other forums/duties to take care of.

Very true, and I like it like that. I know where I need to head when I log on, and I only have JCC issues to worry about. Believe me though, its certainly enough to keep me busy. However, I'm still pretty active in Comms, and various other forums I post in.

25. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    As I've said before, we really aren't looking at bringing in a fifth moderator

hence the reason i said 'big' if :)

I don't think Kate would have accepted the admin position if she couldn't do it on top of her JCC duties - same goes for Dash and Saga, or Nashira and icons

Very true. Like I said before, I have great respect from every mod and the amount of work they put in with every area they work on. I do worry whether it's a good idea to place so much work on one person, but as you rightly mentioned, they would not have accepted the job if they couldn't handle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.