main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Private Message threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FateNaberrie, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    I was under the impression that PM type threads (i.e. those directed at a specific user that don't really encourage discussion by others Like this one) weren't allowed in JCC.

However, after locking that one, Amos reopened it. I asked him what his reasoning was and he decided that he didn't think there was "any harm" in leaving it open. There are plenty of threads that don't cause any harm to JCC but they're still against the rules (Parody threads anyone? Pointless threads? Innuendo? Redundant threads? Spam? Shall I continue?).

Anyway, I just wanted some clarification on the policy on these threads, are they allowed as long as Amos doesn't see any harm in them or allowed all the time or not allowed?

KK EDIT: It looks like this thread has been finished.

2. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    There was more too it than that(as I explained to you in PM), as you've chosen to ignore :)

As long as the thread has a point, I think it's fine. It doesn't violate any rules, and I feel like it's alright. If the other JCC mods disagree, then we'll go from there. I made my call, I stand by it. You're free to disagree if you want to. :)

3. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    It doesn't violate any rules

Except the one about posting PM threads, kiddo?

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    The reason you just locked a thread, chief. Care to get some consistency?

5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Lots of threads that have points get locked and lots of threads that have no point remain open. So it can't possibly be that. It just seems a rather willy-nilly application of the rules. I could embed a point into a thread that really has no point for the purposes of arguing against a lock. That doesn't make it okay.

Amazing.

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    This is clearly a very pressing issue which I sincerely hope is solved in a timley manner.

7. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Thank you for that amazing contribution, DA.

I personally would have left it locked. If she wants to know how long it'll be until she gets her package, or to thank conne, she should PM her.

Actually, even better than locking would have been to modify the topic slightly so that it doesn't look so PMy (with Mitt's approval of course). I would haev locked it, and when she PMed me, asked her to revise it, make the revisions and reopen.

8. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "Thank you for that amazing contribution, DA."

You are welcome and thank you for the appreciation you showed Droideka27.

I had nothing to contribute to the solution of the problem but I just wanted you all to know that I'm hoping it's a very positive one for the whole of JCC.

:)

9. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    That makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :) It's nice to know there are people like you at the JC, full of warm, loving feelings :)

10. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    So what we're saying is that PM threads are allowed?

11. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
  12. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    No, they are not. PM threads are detrimental (god i love that word) because they come across as very exclusive threads. It's fine to single out as user as long as there is a topic the whole group can discuss, and it's not an appreciation thread.

13. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    woah, no need to get draconian, Tracy.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    You think that's draconian? You can't even have threads directed towards a single person in Fanfic unless that person is a character.

Dana

15. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Get a fanFic manager to change the policy!

16. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    And while you're at it, have someone change that rule about fur covered species.

17. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Couldn't this matter have been dealt with via PMs ? I mean, you PM'd Amos, but didn't like the response - did you follow that up with a PM to an admin ?

I'm not sure at what point the following line was added :-

How do you guys manage to be patient and wait for awesome packages?

But that gives the thread a clear point and direction. I assume that was added by Amos after the thread was originally created, but to me that turns it from a Mitt-Connemara-only thread into a thread where anyone could post their feelings about waiting for a package/letter/exam results/paternity test to arrive.

If Amos added that line and reopened the thread then I think he did the right thing.

18. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    If Amos added that line and reopened the thread then I think he did the right thing.
    He reopended it and added the line later.

I really have still not seen a difference between my thread and a "calling out". If I had named the thread, "Connemara I am calling you out" and made the same first post what would have been the difference?

19. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Dana: You think that's draconian? You can't even have threads directed towards a single person in Fanfic unless that person is a character.

Oh?

The rules must have changed or something, I guess... ;) :p

- The Imperial Ewok

20. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    hahahahhahaha.

Well, Mitt, as to calling out threads.... I guess i would just have to say they are an exception to the rule. They aren't exactly PM threads, though. I'd say they are more like Duel threads :p They definitely aren't exclusive,a and they usually recieve a large number of posts, users encouraging one person or the other. Of course, as with anything, if calling out threads are abused and a billion are made, they start gettign locked.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If I had named the thread, "Connemara I am calling you out" and made the same first post what would have been the difference?

The difference is that you were looking for a specific person's help, whereas Carmen was "calling out" someone in a way that invited discussion (something that has been done probably dozens of times in the JC's history).

22. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    I actually thought about calling it "Help me JCers, you're my only hope" and I could have added one line like, "How can I get Conn to send me my stuff?"
    But I thought the title was lame and I assumed correctly, it would come up that other JCers would suggest ways of getting my stuff or getting Conn to send it or have fun telling me the stuff was dropped in the mud on the way home from C3 or something like that.
    How does the change of words really make any difference? I never intended the thread to just be Conn and I posting in it. I don't see how thats fun at all. My thread is a calling out thread, just not having the name officially in the title. I was just making it different, I thought, and didn't think it would cause any stir like this.

23. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Here's what I find ironic, Fate: You are perturbed that someone, after PMing someone else about a specific subject and reaching no conclusions, opened a thread about said subject and it didn't stay locked. So you PM someone about it not being locked, and, after reaching no conclusions, decide to open a thread about it.

In the process of arguing against this, aren't you doing the exact same thing you're steamed about in the first place?

This should be locked and if you want to discuss this further, it should be done over PM, just as it should have been with Mitt and Connemara. If you're not satisfied with Amos's answers, than PM a higher-up. It's pretty simple.

24. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    But if it's locked we won't get to find out what happens! Did she get her stuff? Does she get her stuff? This is free entertainment.

25. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh? The rules must have changed or something, I guess... wink tongue

Okay, aside from threads regarding the moderators. :p Author fan clubs aren't allowed, is what I meant, and stuff that's more suited towards private messages.

Dana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.