main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

jcc should be group and game free

Discussion in 'Communications' started by epic , Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Well I won't try to speak for Epic because frankly I am not smart enough.
    From my point of view, it's almost impossible to see the real YJCC topics as they are buried under the immense number of group and spam threads that dominate the first page.
    To find them it requires one to search all around looking for whatever new topics you might have missed.
    If the club and game threads were in one thread, people would search out there respective thread because it's not something new, it's something they would post in daily.

2. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    But you also have to look at it this way, If the thread you were looking for was more popular and people actually posted more in it. It would be on the first page where you could see it. Am I not telling the truth?.

And what are you considering a "Real JC Topic" just curious.

And like you said, they would post in it daily......

But they are not, you cannot down the groups and games cause they are popular and a certain thread someone might be looking for is not.

I keep hearing the same thing, all the groups and games are always before some threads....you have to look on other pages....

well, sorry that these are more popular, Guess people just have to click that page 2 link, or start posting more so thier threads are on the first page.

3. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    You make some interesting points my friend, but when a new thread is created with no established user base and daily posters to support it. New threads don't get a chance at even being seen because of the regular populace of the established threads posting constantly. Nothing wrong with this, but it seems unbalanced.

4. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    And I also agree with you, wich is why there should be some rule placed limiting the amount of threads that one user can make. I in no way mean that people can not start threads, because everyone should be able too. but those with like 4 or 5 threads, well thats when it gets alittle crazy.

Maybe something so there is only a few games at one time running> I dont know.

I just think that taking the games and groups off the JCC is not the awnser.

5. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    From my point of view, it's almost impossible to see the real YJCC topics as they are buried under the immense number of group and spam threads that dominate the first page. by looking at your sig, you're apart of one of these groups. So am I but the lightside thread ends up being pushed back about three pages or so because everyone does have a life beyond the boards through it is often joked that we don't.

To find them it requires one to search all around looking for whatever new topics you might have missed. Its easier to search out the threads through your posts.

If the club and game threads were in one thread, people would search out there respective thread because it's not something new, it's something they would post in daily thats maybe true, but then again I don't see the point in moving these groups. The YJCC is a fast moving forum, and your telling these users to post else where. You would only be moving the crowd to another forum to spam up, which brings me back to my earlier points. We would end up having someone complain about the new forum then we would be back to square one, so whats the point? You would be wasting server space for another possible forum with a point to it. The YJCC is the forum to have fun. To make another serious forum would only dim the JC making it look like we don't know how to have fun, and wheres the fun in that? someone would want to make the games forum just for games then we would have someone complain about making a board just for social groups only. so technically this is a bad idea

Edit: JK how do you always beat me anyways?

hehe oh well, guess I taught you well in my major :p

Bane, really to be honest, if we do limit the user to certain threads it might help. But then again all the pointless threads, a user decides on whether they want to interact with that thread or not.

6. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Bane...do you know how many times I have found:

the Blue Yoda Society
    the Lightside thread
    the Dark Lords/Ladies thread
    the Mafia Game

and countless other popular threads on page 3, 4 or 5?

What does that tell you? That there are other threads that became more important.

7. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    I see where your both coming from, and I see your points as well.
    Perhaps this would be to dramatic a change to make, and people would get upset about it.
    I see the YJCC being split in two.
    One half would be clubs and games only, the other would be topical in nature. Both forums would be light hearted. This is where the difference between the Senate and the YJCC would come into play. The Senate would be the hardcore serious side, the YJCC would be similar topics with a silly twist or at least tongue in cheek attitude.
    I don't know, I have to think on this more, regardless good show Falcon and Sat, you have made some very good points.

8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I don't know, I have to think on this more you do that ;) regardless good show Falcon and Sat, you have made some very good points. Only just trying to help :)

9. DARTHMOM10

DARTHMOM10 Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I totall agree with all of the following comments:

JediFalcon - "You would kill the soul of the YJCC forum if we went your way."

jedi_master_ousley - "Sure, it seems like there are a lot of them, but that's the point of JCC anyway. Social threads build communities."

Padawan915 - "I see Pluarlism in the JCC, everyone is different, but we all coexist."

For this, I'll have to disagree somewhat ....

"It seems like there is a huge misunderstanding as to what the issue at hand is. The thought is to move these threads into one specified forum, not to eliminate them."

DarthBane420 - That's not the way the argument was going earlier in this thread discussion ... at least not the way that I understood it. And let's say that no threads would be eliminated but instead, simply "moved" to another forum. Why? When they are perfectly fine where they are at!

So what if people have to do a little extra "clicking" to look at the threads that are in following pages ... I do it. Several people here do it. Seems like someone's kindof lazy or not paying attention to me. And for the threads that ARE on the "first page" ... I like posting in those because I know they have "recent" activity and I know that there's an increased chance that I'll be able to "interact" with others here on the boards. That's what I like ... interaction with other people. It's ten-times better than posting in a thread that won't get another hit for several days. :p

And threads don't always stay on page 1 ... If I'm not mistaken, there's been a time or two when some of the more active threads have moved to pages 2, 3, or even 4! It simply depends upon the number of people posting, time of day/night, and people's interests (which can change quite frequently).

"then again everyones points here is to let epic know that the Lightsiders Dark Lords Blue Yoda Society outcastes are more then just a social group. It appears that way, but during the week background check on each user we always make it clear that we're more then just a social group."

I think that JediFalcon brings up a good point and one that I wanted to touch on last night, but didn't. Why would a "social thread" even BE a problem in the first place? Aren't we all here to "socialize" in one way or another? Let me put it in another light ...

WHO HERE IS COMPLAINING ABOUT "SOCIAL THREADS" IN THE FIRST PLACE? AND WHY???

Is it because you've tried to join, but couldn't? Why were you rejected? There's usually a reason as to why someone would and would not be accepted into one group or another. I know that many of the social threads on the JC take their groups very seriously and do more than just "hang out" and shot the bull. And many of them do not like to have members who are rude, crass, or mean-spirited towards other JC'ers. They have "standards" of behavior that they hold their members to. HIGH STANDARDS at that! And the "no socks allowed" rule is in place to help ensure that people who are trying to join do so, again, in a serious manner with the intention of having fun while following the "rules" of the JC.

And as far as what forum would hold what threads .... why? It wasn't too long ago that I saw a thread in the YJCC forum that was "locked" by a Mod who said it was in the wrong forum and needed to go to another forum. Then, when it went to that forum, it was shut down there as well for being in the "wrong forum!" So moving things around will only make it harder and more complicated/confusing to people as to what threads are supposed to go where and why ....

Whose going to draw that distinquishing "line" betwen what threads get posted in what forum?

DarthBane420 - "To find them it requires one to search all around looking for whatever new topics you might have missed."

That again, sounds like a personal problem from someone who doesn't enjoy their time here in searching and looking at or reading through the threads here.

10. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    I don't know if it would be good. I think YJCC is nice as it is, but I see people post unfunny jokes and foolish comments. I know YJCC shouldn't be too serious but some comments are too pointless even for such a forum. I don't think separating the forums would do anything good. There would be pointless games in the "game/social" forum, but the non-game foolish posts would still be in YJCC, and people would only be disappointed you moved OK games and socials.

11. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Maybe no one here will care about the exerience of a causual JCC goer, but I'm going to toss it out anyway. The social and game threads do take up a lot of space on the first page due to the higher post counts they generate. Unfortunately for me, I have minimal interest in most of them. I usually go to the jcc to see what fun, interesting or down right silly thread has been posted, and since there is only room for half of that on page one, there are times when my reaction is bleh and I leave for another forum. It depends on how much computer time I have. Now I am not saying these threads don't have a place. I think they belong in the JCC gathering place, because it is made up of diverse posters. If there was some way to keep them on page two, I'd be happy as a clam. Since, I know this is impossible, I grumble, live with it or sometimes leave. I do wonder though, if having so many threads of the social/game nature on page one are a sort of subtle deterant to the creation of other type threads. I don't really see a solution to this, but better minds than mine may have some ideas.

12. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    I would also guess that your talking two levels of extremes in Moderation needs also.
    Where the game and social threads usually go without needing Modding, they tend to police themselves, the newer threads might need a mod to pay much closer attention. The split would allow this.
    A good example would be when the mods picture page, which is now making the rounds on other sites, was posted and unnoticed for some time.
    I would think the mods would love this split because they could focus more on threads that have a higher potential to blow up.

13. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I partially agree with Sky think YJCC is nice as it is, but I see people post unfunny jokes and foolish comments. I know YJCC shouldn't be too serious but some comments are too pointless even for such a forum. If they separate the forums would create more problems. I think that should be a serious restrictions with some threads that do not have any thing good I know some threads bring some recreation time for some member, but....no to the point to hurt some members feelings.

14. DARTHMOM10

DARTHMOM10 Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Okay, now I just spent an hour looking at the first 10 pages of the YJCC forum. And here's what I found on the pages that were NOT "PAGE 1" and that had a post count of less that 10 (for the most part):

Page 2: Flight Sim 2004 by Jedi_Benji - 0 posts: Topic locked - Dagsy edit: Try the Games forum

Page 3: No threads there with less than 12/13 posts.

Page 4: Invasion of the Bodysnatchers by zacparis - 8 posts.

Movie Gallery by background-jedi - 1 post

What did everyone think of that new Opus comic? by Naboo1 - 2 posts

Silver Hawk - (Michelle Yeoh, Michael Jay White) by JediMaster22 - 5 posts

Jonathan Brandis (Seaquest DSV) suicide ... by wild_karrde - 1 post: Topic locked - Reason unknown, but there is another thread covering the same topic

Page 5: President Bush visits Iraq by Darthfunkasourous - 0 posts: Topic locked - knight's President Bush visits Iraq has a bit more information

TV Challenge by Darth Dane - 3 posts.

No food or water? by Darth Dane - 2 posts.

Give it up for the penguin!!!!!!! by Siri_Ruane - 1 post.

Anyone watch the behind the scenes of the new BSG special? by Naboo1 - 0 posts.

matrix cell phone screen saver.... by AnakinwinduMundii - 1 post.

Page 6: Video of Fireworks Factory Exploding......holy crap by winter_chili - 9 posts.

What's a specimen? by Uruk-hai - 1 post: Topic locked - Locked due to stupidity ... I kid you not .... that's what it said!

Tonight's Daily Show-- Stephen Colbert cracking HIMSELF up!!! LOL! by Valyn - 8 posts.

Let them sing it for you!! by Yoo-See - 7 posts.

I need help with a competition by Darth_Punk - 4 posts.

Page 7: Qh] by JediMaster22 - 0 posts: Topic locked - Posting Error, the 'Enter' key has disobeyed me. Sorry.

Gerry by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE - 0 posts.

SW Creatures Mini-Tournament in Census! by General Kenobi - 0 posts: Topic locked - Reason Unknown.

Page 8: *The Officall Hayden Christensen Fan Club* by _Star_Wars_Girl_ - 5 posts: Topic locked - please stop starting new threads on Hayden - this is your last warning .... the official thread is here ~*~ The Hayden Christensen Fan Club of the JCC ~*~.

The Structure of R2D2 by Keeper_of_Swords - 1 post: Topic locked - Kate edit: Try SW Community.

P&T: BS! by Fire_Ice_Death - 9 posts.

G3 by BOBAFETISH - 2 posts.

Page 9: OMG WHO LIKES MONOPETS? by YouAgain - 0 posts: Topic locked - parody.

if u like by saggye - 3 posts: Topic locked - Dagsy edit: Uhhh, you were told to stop.

.... by Terpmaniac09 - 0 posts: Topic locked - Dagsy edit: Enough with the neopets thread

George Romero's New Movie . . . Diamond Head by Z-95 - 6 posts.

neopets? wth? by Monkey_jedi - 5 posts: Topic Locked - No more neopets threads.

Dagsy edit: Also fixing the title to adhere to the JC rules about WTH

This thread is not about neopets by Uruk-hai - 4 posts: Topic locked - I don't believe I was kidding before.

neopets are our friends by Uruk-hai - 1 post: Topic locked - Stop.

Let's discuss neopets by Uruk-hai - 2 posts: Topic locked -Follow B's link in the other neopets thread if you really want to know.

2 crazy things by saggye - 5 posts: Topic locked - George Lucas makes public announcement... - 9 posts.

Page 10: [

15. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    I am not one to down others for thier ideas, but MariahJade2, it honestly sounds that your gripe is that you have to move your mouse alittle and click the page two link. Wich is your right not to do. I find myself going all the way back to page five sometimes to find a thread I like and would like to post in.

And most of the time all the games and groups are not on page one, or fill it.

If there was some way to keep them on page two, I'd be happy as a clam

Now you would have users complaining why they couldnt be on page 1. And what makes other so special that they are.

Only solution I can think of would in fact be to limit the amount of threads a user can make, and have all users run a game through the mods at first. And then the mods have only a few games ran at one time.

That would save space and allow not as many threads cluttering the 1st page.

16. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    Would any of you think that it would be acceptable to have a social thread in Comms let's say?
    I mean what if it were made up of people who were Comms regulars?

17. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    I dont see why not, Comms is kind of like a communtiy. but we know that is not what comms is for. I know what your point was going to be. but comms is more of an request and error forum. But I would not see why you couldnt.

What we are getting into now is "What is the JCC about and for"

Also.

You have to looks and see that everyother forum on this site besides comms, the senate, and the Amph has social threads and groups.

The JCC is a community, you might not like the kind it is, but it is a community. You have your topic threads, your coversation threads, and your games.

No-one has still came up with a good reason to me or explained just why games and social groups should be taken off.

It sounds like everyone is just lazy and doesnt want to click to another page.

18. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I think many of us are going to have to agree to disagree. Yes, perhaps a social group/game forum is a good idea but the people from such groups don't want to be moved. Those older groups belong there and have a right to be there as their purpose is to help the JC at large.

is it that much of an ordeal to post in a thread on a message board in forum A compared to forum B? i mean, really?

No, of course not epic. But the point is why *should* we move when for the past couple of years the Dark Lords, Lightside, Outcast and BYS have NEVER been a problem. When was the last time a Mod had to come in and correct something that was against the TOS? I can't remember the last time it happened in the Lightside, if indeed it ever has happened. And then compare that to all the threads that get locked on a daily basis because they're redundant or not allowed. Surely groups ADD to the JCC's community feel and help keep it a good place to post.

Off topic spam is what I'm refering to Epic

that was DA who said what you're replying to there...

My apologies to you both. With all that red colour going on you're confusing my terrible eyesight :p

Bane: It seems like there is a huge misunderstanding as to what the issue at hand is.
    The thought is to move these threads into one specified forum, not to eliminate them

Oh no I understand that don't worry :) I just think that forcing these groups to a whole new forum will damage them in a way.

19. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Actually, the Senate and Amphitheater, last time I looked, both have an official social thread for the people in those forums to relax in and just chat. ;)

20. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    Thanks for the correction Mauly....lol I knew you were lurkin around somewhere!

21. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I agree with the following:

Ginger: But the point is why *should* we move when for the past couple of years the Dark Lords, Lightside, Outcast and BYS have NEVER been a problem. When was the last time a Mod had to come in and correct something that was against the TOS? I can't remember the last time it happened in the Lightside, if indeed it ever has happened. I don't think anything has happened or we wouldn't have mods and admins joining the groups if the groups made trouble.

Mauly: Actually, the Senate and Amphitheater, last time I looked, both have an official social thread for the people in those forums to relax in and just chat I knew you had to be lurking in on this. But I completely agree, there are chat socials in these areas as well.

So technically no matter where you go or turn your always going to find a social group in different forums, in fanfiction there may not be any social forums (correct me if I'm wrong) but it doesn't stop users from socializing with each other waiting for the author to post the next chapter

epic: I hope you take these points into consideration and go quietly.

22. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I am not one to down others for thier ideas, but MariahJade2, it honestly sounds that your gripe is that you have to move your mouse alittle and click the page two link.

You misunderstand my post. I have bigger things in my life than to gripe about the jcc. But when I have only 15 or 20 minutes at lunch then yes, Page one may be all I will bother with. Read the rest of my post and you will see that I also live with it when I do have time. I just think it is foolish to pretend that the social/game threads have no affect on the other ones. They do. The same arguement was the reason for the split of the Fan fic forums. Epic does have a point there, though I don't think a new forum would work in this case.

And most of the time all the games and groups are not on page one, or fill it.

I'm not against these groups. Don't get defensive.

Now you would have users complaining why they couldnt be on page 1. And what makes other so special that they are.

Well then you do understand.

Only solution I can think of would in fact be to limit the amount of threads a user can make, and have all users run a game through the mods at first. And then the mods have only a few games ran at one time.

That would save space and allow not as many threads cluttering the 1st page.

This was one of my thoughts but I know this has been discussed before and not much came of it. Since we can't make the page bigger, it's the only thing I can think of.

23. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    The same arguement was the reason for the split of the Fan fic forums. Epic does have a point there, though I don't think a new forum would work in this case.

I agree with you Mariah. The reason it worked so well for the fan fiction forum is because fan fiction can be easily catagorised where as social/group threads are a little more complicated. Splitting up the JCC isn't the answer. Perhaps clearer guidelines or stricter modding will help.

Or we could just leave the forum alone completely - which sounds pretty good to me although I do believe the JCC does have it's fair share of troublesome issues that need tackling and moving existing threads isn't the cure.

24. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    I just think it is foolish to pretend that the social/game threads have no affect on the other ones

Well then you do understand

Yep I understand that people are to lazy to find the thread they like adn post on it and NO one is pretending that they dont affect others. but the point is that if people wanted to post in the threads instead of the groups the would do so, making them be on page one. Correct?

I'm not against these groups. Don't get defensive.

Not getting defensive, just stating a fact.

This was one of my thoughts but I know this has been discussed before and not much came of it. Since we can't make the page bigger, it's the only thing I can think of.

At least we agree on that.

25. TenelKaJedi

TenelKaJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Way to go bro!

I agree with you totally about the group threads thing.

GROUP THREADS: People can talk in them, and not just about silly stuff. If you think about it, group threads can actually prevent new threads that are pointless from being started. Everyone can get their silliness out in the same thread. We in the groups talk about important issues, as well. If we feel strongly enough about them, we might start a new thread. IF we don't, that keeps spamming to a minimum. We also help each other. I've gone into the Jedi Outcasts sometimes, feeling very depressed, and my friends and family there bring me out of it. The same thing just wouldn't happen in the Senate forum. If anything, I would get even more depressed!

I think that the people who want to change things like this in the JCC are simply mad or jealous, because they have not been asked to join a certain group, have been snubbed, or have had a thread spammed constantly.

All I can say is: TOUGH! We all get that in some way. Learn to live with it, and you'll be much happier.
    IF you get extremely upset about being spammed, talk to a mod about it. They'll put a stop to it; after all, isn't that what they do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.