main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

jcc should be group and game free

Discussion in 'Communications' started by epic , Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Are the threads radically different from each other?

2. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    And that is exactly how I see it also.
    You have two different entities existing in the same forum.
    Groups and Individual posters.
    The group threads carry far heavier traffic and tend to now dominate the YJCC to the extent some threads are not even seen.
    I think it's hopeless to try to change this as people seem to be coming to tears at the idea of a different forum being created.
    I guess I don't understand how assigning a thread a different URL somehow takes away from the experience of posting there.
    I have never been posting in the BYS and though to myself, "Jeez I am glad this thread is in the YJCC or my post somehow wouldn't feel the same."
    I just don't get it.

3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Delton_Zero: Actually, I just had a thought; the Star Wars Community board is another one that is quite cluttered with games, and there are the relatively new "tournaments" in the Census forum which have inspired more of these tournaments to pop up in the JCC. Perhaps all of these things could be combined, it would be a chance to combine Star Wars inspired games and general silliness in the spirit of fun and gaming.

This is what the YJCC is all about, groups games and silliness. You would be recreating the YJCC all over again and then we would be back at square one. It would be messier too if you tried moving all the groups games and silly threads onto one forum from the other forums, keeping them in the other forums keeps it less cluttered. sorry to say this but you out did yourself on this one.

epic: You don't have to agree with me but you can't tell me I can't continue to post in this thread either. Telling me not to post in this thread is like telling me I don't have the right to speak.

4. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I felt a need to chime in. I used to post on the YJCC forum (under a different username), but have since left because it has come to be lacking in community and obese with threads and activities which discourage communication and, for lack of a better word, community. The threads and activities which I speak of are the games, and even moreseo, the groups/clubs/alliances/cliques/crowds like the Lightsiders and the Blue Yoda Society.

Separating those types of threads from the YJCC is a fantastic idea. It will encourage participation and community. If they need to be put into their own forum and suffer because of it, you still would be doing the right thing.

I'm sorry, but I don't get something. How excatly does a group that invites people to post (yes, the lightside thread invites posting from anyone who wants to) discourage community? And how exactly would moving all the group/game threads to a different forum encourage participation and community? That last sentence you posted makes it sound less like you actually care about the forum and more like you simply don't like group/game threads.

You left because you didn't like the threads that were posted? Here's an idea. Start a good thread. People will post in it. Simple, no? :)

5. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I think the idea is that some people simply don't enjoy posting in group threads, regardless of whether or not they're welcoming. They'd rather post in 'everyday' threads, spur of the moment threads, 'this just popped into my head' threads... I know I seldom (if ever) go into any group threads, but I do enjoy browsing all of the random daily threads.

Vertical

6. jadesaber2

Oct 17, 2000
    I think the idea is that some people simply don't enjoy posting in group threads, regardless of whether or not they're welcoming. They'd rather post in 'everyday' threads, spur of the moment threads, 'this just popped into my head' threads...

And there are plenty of those on the first page of the forum. Right now, out of the first 50 threads, 14 are game/group threads, and some of those are lower on the list every time I refresh the page. The other 36 threads - 36! - are discussion and/or random silliness threads. I'm not seeing the clogging of the first page that people are complaining about.

7. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I was just explaining my perspective. I personally don't think it's a major inconvenience, which is why I proposed just changing the naming conventions.

Vertical

8. jadesaber2

Oct 17, 2000
    I'm not directing anything at you personally. I just thought your post was a good starting point for my post.

I can get behind changing the naming conventions. Moving them to a new forum? No. How many more times are we going to split the JCC into different forums? At what point are we going to see that by separating the forum into its many different aspects, we're really taking the fun out of the melting pot that is the JCC?

9. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    At what point are we going to see that by separating the forum into its many different aspects, we're really taking the fun out of the melting pot that is the JCC?

I agree with Saber.

Out off all the groups and games at the YJCC the general everyday threads dominate these groups and games, so I don't understand how you came up with cluttering the YJCC in the first place.

epic, this is a lost battle and you know it, so just let it go.

10. Jaded_Ice

Jaded_Ice Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    Here's an idea. Start a good thread. People will post in it. Simple, no?

No, actually that doesn't work. I get the impression that you aren't a patron of the YJCC, because this just doesn't happen.

At what point are we going to see that by separating the forum into its many different aspects, we're really taking the fun out of the melting pot that is the JCC?

The point is that with the games and groups, there is no real melting pot. Threads which don't involve large groups or require constant posting (groups and games, respectively) will inevitably push the other aspects down and out. It would no longer be a melting pot, but one type of community sitting on top of four hundred pages of the other types of interaction.

And there are plenty of those on the first page of the forum. Right now, out of the first 50 threads, 14 are game/group threads, and some of those are lower on the list every time I refresh the page. The other 36 threads - 36! - are discussion and/or random silliness threads. I'm not seeing the clogging of the first page that people are complaining about.

Those of us who have slower internet connections can not use the fifty-threads per page option and still have the JCC load in any reasonable amount of time. The point is that those 14 games and group threads take up more than half of the first page. Then there is the "This thread must remain on page one" and the "this thread must remain on page two" and the "How long will it take to reach 1000 posts" threads, which further limit the creative and different threads. So what if thirty of the threads are not groups, if twenty-five of them are not within a reasonable loading-time. Of course, you could just tell all of us with our slower connections to leave.

11. jadesaber2

Oct 17, 2000
    I get the impression that you aren't a patron of the YJCC, because this just doesn't happen.

That's rich. Check my recent posts and then tell me I'm not a JCC patron. It's just about the only forum I post in, and most of my time is spent lurking there.

The point is that with the games and groups, there is no real melting pot. Threads which don't involve large groups or require constant posting (groups and games, respectively) will inevitably push the other aspects down and out. It would no longer be a melting pot, but one type of community sitting on top of four hundred pages of the other types of interaction.

Please. It hasn't gotten as bad as you say it is in the three years I've been here. What makes you think it'll suddenly go down the drain now? Interaction - all kinds of it - takes place in the JCC every day, regardless of whether there's a game/group thread or two on the first page. It's really not as bad as you say it is.

Those of us who have slower internet connections can not use the fifty-threads per page option and still have the JCC load in any reasonable amount of time. The point is that those 14 games and group threads take up more than half of the first page. Then there is the "This thread must remain on page one" and the "this thread must remain on page two" and the "How long will it take to reach 1000 posts" threads, which further limit the creative and different threads. So what if thirty of the threads are not groups, if twenty-five of them are not within a reasonable loading-time. Of course, you could just tell all of us with our slower connections to leave.

Fair enough. I usually have only 15 threads per page. So, looking at the first page of the JCC at 15 threads per page, I see 5 game/group threads, 10 silliness/discussion threads, and the 2 stickies. Still a favorable discussion/silliness-to-group/game ratio.

12. LifeSabre

LifeSabre Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Just because you can't get people to post on your thread, doesnt mean that you should try to ruin it for the threads that are successful in the JCC....

besides most of the threads in the jcc die out after a day anyway...if you take the groups out of the jcc you'll kill it......if you want variety buy a satellite dish......600 channels

EDIT: perhaps the real reason f0r the suggestion to remove the groups and games from the jcc is because people are jealous and have their own hidden agendas....just stop complaining...geez

13. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    which brings me back to my other points in the first place, you'll end up killing the soul of the YJCC if you remove all the groups and game threads. The YJCC will get slow.

If you try to turn it into nothing but serious discussion threads and decide to put the silly threads onto the game/group threads then we'll be back here arguing the same points to no end. Might as well just give it up now because its not going to happen.

14. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    As a current JCC manager, I will publically state that I am against moving games or groups from the JCC. I do not speak for the entire JCC staff, only myself. Yes, I am a long standing member of a social group....go right ahead and throw your tomatoes and hurl accusations of bias if you like. However, I am not making the above statement out of sentiment for my own affiliation (I couldn't care less where the thread is), I am making the above statement as a forum mod. I simply do not see how asking a large part of your forum population to move their "home thread" is going to help the community of your forum. The JCC is supposed to be for everyone. This is why I have a hard time understanding why some people cannot tolerate something harmless that others obviously enjoy.

Frankly, I see no need for change. However, if it would make life easier on some (and if the group leaders agree), I would be happy to add the "GAME" or "GROUP" header to each thread, per Vert's suggestion.

15. jadesaber2

Oct 17, 2000
    I agree with the [one member of the] administration on this issue.

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    nods and agrees with JMT

17. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I personally think it's a good compromise.

But then, of course I would think that, as it was my idea. Heh.

Thanks for listening, JMT!

Vertical

18. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Just because you can't get people to post on your thread, doesnt mean that you should try to ruin it for the threads that are successful in the JCC.... This reminds me the Fan Fiction problem.

Once more I remembered when they split the Fan Fiction in three boards. They did because some writers did not have too much replies. Now they are three boards in some people still complaining. Still I agree with jedi-mind-trick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.