main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Should the YJCC stop being family friendly?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord_Fett, Apr 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I'd say so.

Wha??? So I should really consider the 9/11 terrorists point of view??

I think he was pointing out the difference between, say, someone who thinks the death penelty is murder and those who believe it isnt.

But great job invoking 9/11 and terrorism in your argument! [face_plain]

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, if you are to understand their mindset so as to get a better grasp of the complete story and do what we can to prevent it from happening again.

3. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    And what Sape said ^^^

4. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    Yes, if you are to understand their mindset so as to get a better grasp of the complete story and do what we can to prevent it from happening again.

Oh, I agree there. Know your enemy is my motto.

He was saying accept their position...

5. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    He was saying accept their position...

Who is he? And where did he say this?

All I saw was people saying you should be open minded.

But if they did say you had to accept it, they were right, as far as this board is concerned. You don't have to accept their position personally, but you have to accept it as equally valid as your own on the board. You may not like some of the things you see on here, but if they don't break the rules you have to accept that they will continue to happen. If you don't like it there are plenty of other places to go. At least, thats the response everyone else gets when they don't agree with the rules.

6. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    *Palms face*

[face_plain]

Not equal. There is right and there is wrong. Black and white.

7. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000

Please explain. Because many people believe right and wrong to be subjective. The owners have laid down what they believe to be right and wrong, and we as users must accept that. If you don't accept that and continue posting here, what do you hope to accomplish? All you're doing is spinning yourself into a tizzy over some sex.

Newsflash, the Bible is full of sex.

8. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Yeah, I know it is....

I've read it all the way through...

But lets look at the context.

75% of the time it's saying, DON'T DO THIS and DON'T DO THAT.

15% of the time it's saying, So-and-so did this, and it was wrong.

10% of the time it's simple mentions of sex in the context of reperduction.

And finally, the Song of Songs. 8 chapters long, and while sexual, very vage in it's details... I think... Unless I'm just very ignorant and have missed something...

9. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Hi, lets keep religious discussion in the Senate, please.

10. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    It also includes a lot of outdated stuff.

Honestly, would you prefer the benefits of polygamy and slavery be discussed rather than sexual innuendo?

Also, I love how whenever a fundamentalist christian quotes the Bible for all the reasons sex is bad they never quote the Book of Ruth. It's all about premarital sex and the degredation of women. Take a look.

Edit: And I'm done. Mods are right, this isn't the Senate. PM me if you want to rebutt, Gen.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Let's leave specific religious discussion out of this, and while we're at it, let's see what I actually said:

However, it would help a great deal if you would respect other people's beliefs and views, even if you don't agree with them.

I didn't tell you to accept someone else's views as being correct. Rather, I suggested that you seek to better understand and respect other viewpoints.

This is your opinion. A great many reasonable people believe differently. It's worth noting that you're not alone in your opinion, and that a lot of intelligent people also believe in something of a black and white view of the world.

12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    GenOochy, I do understand your point of view, Really, I have the same beliefs. :)

Trust me, it isn't always easy when I see a topic that makes me uncomfortable, but the rules at the JC were not made by me. They are made by the owners who feel differently.

Now I cannot change the rules like that, neither can the other mods or managers, etc.

Now while I fully believe in the Bible and base my life upon it, I cannot use it to make judgements as a mod here at the JC.
    Trust me, modding isn't easy when you're weighing different ideas all the time.

Oh and this discussion is starting to sound like a Senate thread on religion. Let's not start bashing, okay? ;)

Edit:- Not directed at Raven or KW. :) Sorry guys, but my typing is slow. *sigh* ;)

13. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    The "family friendly" directive comes directly from the owners and is not going to change. It is part of the core of their vision for this site.

If you want a forum that holds different standards, then you will have to go elsewhere.

Kimball Kinnison

14. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Also, I love how whenever a fundamentalist christian quotes the Bible for all the reasons sex is bad they never quote the Book of Ruth.

Wha??

Ruth? That's like the most romantical book of the Bible... All I ever here my girl friends say is how much they like that book.

And, dude nothing happend between them, she just layed down on his bed... I can imagine what went through his mind when he woke up, though. :p

And I understand, that's why I couldn't stand being a mod here... I understand were you are.

15. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    KK has entered the thread. :)

The "family friendly" directive comes directly from the owners and is not going to change. It is part of the core of their vision for this site.

That certainly confirms it, KK. :)

*flops onto the Comms couch* :D

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Let me repeat what's been said a few times already: if you want to discuss religion, do it either via PM or use the Senate. We're not going to discuss religion in here.

17. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    As long as the JC has a large userbase, is run by someone reasonably conservative, and is free to register at, I don't think anything will change. Which is fine. I don't think it would be appropriate to have stricter rules everywhere BUT jcc, it wouldn't work that well.

As someone else mentioned, there are a ton of otehr message boards out there, you can even start up your own. The other message boards are where my REAL evil side comes out [face_devil] teehee

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    As other mods and admins have said, this is not something that is subject to change. This comes straight from the owner(s) and does not seem to be a matter of debate. Try other spin off boards which, as droideka pointed out, can be a bonanza of unrestricted fun!

19. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Try other spin off boards which, as droideka pointed out, can be a bonanza of unrestricted fun!

*cough cough cough*

you jerk :p

20. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    In the wise words of Jeffffffffffffffffffff, "The JC can't be everything for everyone"

21. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Could you actually expand on your first post Lord_Fett and explain why the Jedi Council Community should stop being family friendly other than your own opinion?

22. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    bonanza of unrestricted fun

roofle, inside joke :)

23. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    No, infact it needs a bit of cleaning up, IMO.

If you want to act immature go someplace else. Dirty jokes are not mature.

I agree so much with that.
    gen yoda man ;)

//edit: the person who started that G-spot thread should be banned for a while. [face_plain]

24. Bezo2004

Bezo2004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2004
    The YJCC should keep doing what it's doing, even though what it's doing is basically functioning as a 24-hour spam fest.

God bless it.

That being said, the family friendliness of TFN is part of its charm.

25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I like to think the JC is the kind of place I could happy bring my kids to, to talk about SW.

If they were Star Wars fans. And if I had kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.