main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC Social threads/groups policy] A 6 month wait for a 1 month thread? This needs to end NOW

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthTunick , Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Most of what I needed to say has already been said by other mods. However, I would like to correct a certain assumption about the ROTS thread. The ROTS forum social thread was NOT closed because the forum is moving. The forum is not moving for quite a while. Any sort of date has never been set. All we have decided as MS is that it will merge into PT "some time after the DVD release." That's pretty vague. If I was to guess I would say early 2006. Why then would the ROTS be closed if not for the move?

From information told me by one of the ROTS mods, it was closed because the thread was overrun with SK people who were causing trouble and after literally tens of bans and edits within a matter of hours, the ROTS mods decided that the thread was simply too much work to keep up. There were too many issues coming from the thread and it was taking up too much moderating time. As RebelScum77 pointed out, having a social thread in a movie forum is not a right it is a privalege, one the Sarcasm Knights lost in ROTS. Users here are commenting about how the poor SKs are homeless because the forum is moving to PT and the PT mods hate the SKs and won't let them post.

From information I have, this is entirely incorrect. Misrepresenting the facts in order to get people to feel sorry for them and give them what they want is something I have had numerous SK members try on me over the past six months. Seems to be a pattern of behaviour that, like KW said, is sowing seeds that you are now reaping. Sow better seeds next time.

2. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Smeagol, they locked the PT Forum Social Thread cause they know from experience with the knights that letting them start posting there could lead to the chaos that was the reason the ROTS Social Thread was locked. It is probably too late for a second chance.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    edit - nevermind.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I believe the keywords that your head administrater gave out were

"We don't take actions on mods or users for anything done off our site."

So, is this an excuse to let mods get away with stuff off the site, because again it seems like something that a regular user can't get away with.

5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I feel partly to blame in the PT thread being closed. Because I supported us posting there. Not hijacking the thread as you say. That's a bit harsh. And I quote myself on this in refrence to something you said Strilo in that thread ," They can't stop something that happens over time." That's a lose quote on what I said.

I'm not a troublemaker, never have been, never will be. I'm a highly passionate person when it comes to things I believe in. I was looking for a place to socialize with people I got along with and knew. You're thread gave me that hope. I like to think the way I uphold myself in my posts around these boards keeps me above the average poster. No offense to the average poster cause they're great.

But I think it's a bit unfair to take out of context one persons comments without contacting that person first. Because last time I checked we weren't planning on spamming your thread. I mean it's a social thread. We were going to socialize. And if you notice the more less likely to cause trouble Knights were the ones that started to post in there. So if anything you don't be made at them, be mad at the user who made the comment that was taken out of context.

~PK~

6. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I think it's a little naive to think that we would willfully blind ourselves to conduct elsewhere on the net. There is, however, a difference between informing our decisions (not "taking action") and modding off-site behavior ("taking action").

7. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Ok, so the PT social thread was locked, not for what was posted, but rather for who was posting in it? That's pretty lame.

[jedi_master_ousley]: "Instead of having forum regulars that they know fairly well posting in it, there was a rush of complete strangers who they knew nothing about ? and therefore it only caused more trouble for them to figure who these people were and what their intent was."

I thought a social thread was supposed to be a place where people get to know each other, not just for people who already know each other. If the mods want a private thread for their e-friends let them create one on their own board.

Now, I don't know much about these "Knights" other than the drama that's brought up in Comms and that mods and ex-mods seem to think they're jerks (and the may very well be), but it seems to me this situation in the PT social thread was handled poorly.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Quixotic-Sith posted on 7/2/05 12:06pm
    I think it's a little naive to think that we would willfully blind ourselves to conduct elsewhere on the net. There is, however, a difference between informing our decisions (not "taking action") and modding off-site behavior ("taking action").
    [hr][/blockquote]

I didn't quote you, I quoted the Head Admin who didn't think it was neccesary to punish a mod for his offsite behavior.

9. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    While I totally agree that there's a difference between the two, I was under the impression that modding offsite behavior was now allowed, as people have been banned for things that happened offsite (ie having a site where numerous JCers are registered, and being banned when that site gets hacked and passwords are released)

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So let me get this straight: The SK can't have an offical thread, so we have to use pre-existing threads, but the thread in the ROTS fourm gets locked because of us. This gives me little faith that the Confederate Palace thread in the JCC will be the thread to use, because most likely that will get locked too. This is SO wonderful. [face_plain]

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I read the PT thread. One person posted a pic the mods didn't like and Strilo comes in targeting the Knights and basically starting drama when everything was going fine.

Why didn't he PM the offending user, rather than making it an argument? That's what we have to do when we have a problem with a mod [face_plain]

12. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jedi_Insurance_Guy Jedi Master star 5

Jul 27, 2004
    I apologize, Malkie, perhaps I should have made myself a bit clearer. I was not referring to the Social Thread issue. Personally, I understand the reasons for the SK's not being granted their own social thread - we weren't part of the community that was grandfathered in, and that is that. I have no problem with that. I was referring more to Strilo's comments in the PT social thread shortly after DGS posted there. However, after speaking with Stilo and Quix via PM, I was under the impression that the SK's would be welcome there if we followed the rules set forth by them for that forum and thread. I didn't see any evidence of spamming and/or flaming after that point, and actually, I posted a few times in the tread, conversing with another poster. This wasn't the first time I've been in that thread; I posted there, a handful of times, during that threads first day (and subsequent days). While I would not consider myself to be a PT forum "regular", I have posted there several times in the past two months - and may possibly have started a thread there (or, I could be confusing it with the SWC).

However, I have gone on a bit of a tangent. What I was alluding to in the post you quoted of mine, was that I didn't want to see the whole group of SK's viewed with mistrust when not all of our membership have been involved in the activities that you have described. While several of us have less than stellar posting histories, the vast majority of our membership have never received a ban (to my knowledge, which of course is limited to what I have seen and/or been told). I think it would be unfair to those posters to be painted with the same brush that you paint habitual offenders, simply because of the company they keep.

13. CMNDR_BACARA

CMNDR_BACARA Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    FlareStorm posted on 7/2/05 3:51pm
    I read the PT thread. [i]One[/i] person posted a pic the mods didn't like and Strilo comes in targeting the Knights and basically starting drama when everything was going fine.

Why didn't he PM the offending user, rather than making it an argument? That's what we have to do when we have a problem with a mod [face_plain]
    [hr][/blockquote]
    It happened even before the pic, Flare.

14. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    You guys act as though we're stripping away any chance of the SK socializing with each other. But you have your own forum offsite. Why do you need to overtake a social thread in a forum where most members don't even post? And where they have little interest in getting to know its regulars? That was definitely the case in RotS. The JCC is for purely social threads, the movie forums don't have to have one, especially if it creates more trouble than it's worth. A chance was given in RotS, and it was blown. Move along.

15. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    well, not everyone we know comes to the offsite board, A.

And B, we are all at the core, enormous Star Wars fans, and it hurts to be shunned so.

Seriously.

I mean I see closing the thread and all. But then we post elsewehere, and get the warm reception
    of plague carrying leper?

It's sad. We are all friends, yes. And some are uppity. But we like TF.n, and we'd like to continue to be a part of the community.

FF

16. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    RebelScum77 posted on 7/2/05 7:57pm
    You guys act as though we're stripping away any chance of the SK socializing with each other. But [i]you have your own forum offsite[/i]. Why do you need to overtake a social thread in a forum where most members don't even post? And where they have little interest in getting to know its regulars? That was definitely the case in RotS. The JCC is for purely social threads, the movie forums don't have to have one, especially if it creates more trouble than it's worth. A chance was given in RotS, and it was blown. Move along.[hr][/blockquote]

I said this a long time ago and I'll say it again, it means absolutely nothing that the Knights have their own forum offsite. The BYS, the Dantooine Base, and I'm pretty sure the Light and Dark Siders have offsite forums as well. Does that matter for them? No. Why should it matter in the Knight's case.

Yes, it's stirring up trouble begging to differ from what mods thing. We've went on for 29 pages now arguing this. Don't you think that's proof enough the Knights won't just let this go in a month or so?

17. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    have you tried the DB thread? That one's pretty dead

18. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005

You guys act as though we're stripping away any chance of the SK socializing with each other. - On tf.n, in designated social threads, that seems to be the case. Once more, it should be pointed out this isn't just about the Satanic Kult (© MyKe1138), as there were plenty of non-Knights posting regularly in the ROTS social thread.

Why do you need to overtake a social thread in a forum where most members don't even post? - Because the ROTS Social thread was locked.

And where they have little interest in getting to know its regulars? - That's your opinion. I was looking forward to getting to know the PT regulars. How do you think the Knights get new members if they have little interest in talking to new people?

That was definitely the case in RotS. - Are you saying new posters were unwelcome in the ROTS social thread? That's news to me.

19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    carmenite42 posted on 7/2/05 8:39pm
    have you tried the DB thread? That one's pretty dead[hr][/blockquote]

Yes, I know, but they we're still allowed to have their thread regardless of the fact that they had an offsite forum first.

20. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003

the knights not having a thread has nothing to do with the offsite forum, and everything to do with the fact that it's against the rules.

21. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    how you doin' darling?

FF

22. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'll repeat what I said earlier when you posted this quote. You will not be banned for anything said or done offsite that remains offsite. However, if you say or do something offsite that will have a direct effect on the JC then you'd be naive to think you could hide behind a 'it happened offsite' excuse.

As stated previously - on occasion offsite administrators have been happy to provide the IP addresses of their users to aid us in matching up offsite user with onsite user. (so that we actually know it's you).

It's important to remember that we wouldn't pre-emptively ban anyone who says they are about to troll the JC - you'd actually have to start before we'd step in - but it does make your intentions clear, and at this point it's relatively impossible to hide behind the 'it happened offsite' excuse.

Furthermore, if someone starts a thread offsite saying "let's troll the JCC on Thursday at 1pm, socks are encouraged", you'll have to understand that we'd be likely to repost that information in the MS, and ensure that a couple of mods are at least around at the intended troll time.

It's just a simple case of looking after the JC with all of the information available to us.

Harvesting JC passwords and holding them in a totally insecure place resulted in those password lists being 'liberated' (hacked is a totally inappropriate word), the result of which was that several users used those passwords to access JC user accounts.

It's an example of an offsite action having a direct effect on the JC. Everyone involved in that situation received a ban.

23. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jedi_Insurance_Guy Jedi Master star 5

Jul 27, 2004
    First off RS77, we weren't attempting to overtake a forum or thread - we were attempting to intergrate ourselves into the PT forum community. If you don't believe this, read my posts from the past several pages, or better yet, ask Strilo to send you the PM's I sent to him and Quix regarding this issue.

Secondly, I think you'll find that with the vast majority of us, we were contributors to the 3SA before we became involved either a.) with the knights, or b.) in the GIL social thread. I know that this was certainly the case with me. It wasn't until shortly before the movie came out that stopped contributing to the 3SA (cooincidentally, it was roughly that same time that I stopped posting regularly in the GIL social thread).

Thirdly, I've talked with Strilo at length about this issue. Some our members are trying to become contributors to the PT forum. I've encouraged those that wish to do so to begin posting there, and from what I've seen, they have already begun to do so.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

Because creating more drama is exactly what he wanted to do.
    Bringing overexaggerated attention to the presence of any members of the Satanic Kult in a thread is how to properly keep members of this filthy sob organization of online terrorists on the run.

And insofar as the bull**** lie of "no interest in getting to know the regulars of the thread" goes, it is quite the conundrum that people like DarthPogey and LadyWhilla (both of whom have massive ban histories :p ) have been in here, posting on our behalf. Sure, we don't talk to anyone but ourselves.

Whatever helps you sleep at night and stand before God on Sundays.

25. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Secondly, I think you'll find that with the vast majority of us, we were contributors to the 3SA before we became involved either a.) with the knights, or b.) in the GIL social thread.

Then why not return to that practice and enjoy the entire forum?

That's the part I'm missing.. Why confine yourselves to a specific identity, which just seems to foster the "us vs them" mentality?

Is your enjoyment of the boards soley confined to your status as a "knight," or are you still capable of branching out and interacting with everyone?

If you want to discuss SW or socialize on the internet, feel free to do so, openly and honestly. You don't need to add in a persecution complex because you're internally limiting yourselves with a groupthink identity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.