main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC Social threads/groups policy] A 6 month wait for a 1 month thread? This needs to end NOW

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthTunick , Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    In a movie forum, I'm a big supporter of at least one social thread. It's a great way to build a community. However, the JCC isn't a movie forum, and doesn't need that because it's social by nature. A Knights thread in JCC wouldn't serve the same purpose the Knights did in the 3SA social thread.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree.

The bulk of our supportive JCers are resigned to staying in ROTS anyhow.

If we stay there when the hype dies down, and they do, too. We have not lost anything.

But, if they move to other forums, we lose the support.
    Or, if they leave the boards out of lack of interest in anything else, we lose the support.

either way we lose.

There is no reason to believe that ROTS regulars who haven't already begun frequenting YJCC or SWC would start anytime in the future, either. That is obviously in regards to en masse.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Users are gonna lose intrest in the ROTS fourm, like they did with the TPM & AOTC fourms. Sigh, I though I would get more support. [face_plain] :(

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    That's the way the movie forums are here. They rise in climax, and fall when it's all over. There are still quite a few good posters, but for the most part, there's nothing but newbies asking pointless questions and good (yet unknown) members correcting them. That's the way it goes around.

But I agree...for a while there, I thought the ROTS forum would still get a lot of support after the movie was already released and done.

5. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Out of curiosity, what separates the SSA from the DLs and the LS, besides group name? It looks like they all have the same purpose.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, the logic of having a third thread on the same thing were there already was 2 threads on it is such great logic. [face_plain]

7. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    carmenite42 posted on 6/8/05 8:31pm
    Out of curiosity, what separates the SSA from the DLs and the LS, besides group name? It looks like they all have the same purpose.
    [hr][/blockquote]

I'm asking, not quoting or stating as fact, since I never was one and was in no way associated with the group itself, but did the DL's NOT state that they were basically resigning that mission, thus the reason they became so absorbed in their off-site board, and no longer maintain the thread on the JCC as much as they used to?

The SSA was created to fill the void.

And as for the LS'ers, we have joined them in that capacity, and they have already assigned an Ambassador to us.

I'm not advertising, I'm explaining for a reason. The SSA contains a Council of 5 Masters, myself included, that rotates on a three-month basis the title of Grand Master.

The first three months were spent finalizing the organization of the group, and beginning to build a core group of Knights and Masters.

Go into the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/]WNU[/link] currently, and look to see how many SSA sig lines are there in posts welcoming and helping new posters to the board. As [b]Jedi_Daniel[/b] if I did or did not offer any assistance I can in that forum, as well as the SSA as a group, as there were newbies already coming in asking about us, and I would like for our group to be more active there (not petitioning for any Mod-ship, thanks, I couldn't handle that and GM duties at the moment) [i]in order to help people[/i]. That was something I wanted implemented under my 'reign' as GM.

Nowhere in the entire time of their existence have I seen this, implied or otherwise, from the Sarcasm Knights.

As Jada said, I'm actually [i]for[/i] you all to have your own thread. I'd much prefer having one thread I can ignore than 100 threads being trolled by your annoying and meaningless 'banter'.

And for the record, from your earlier post, [b]Tunick[/b], if the speed of growth of a thread is the basis of part your argument, we have you beat, anyways. [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/18634483/p127]127 pages in 30 days.[/link] Just FYI.

8. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    Not trying to be an ass, but seriously asking.

If your focus is WNU, why are you in YJCC?

9. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    carmenite42 posted on 6/8/05 9:25pm
    Not trying to be an ass, but seriously asking.

If your focus is WNU, why are you in YJCC?
    [hr][/blockquote]

Not at all. I never said WNU was the entire mission, I am simply pointing that out as ONE aspect of what we are trying to do to better the entire JC and YJCC.

And I simply point this out to attempt to make clear that there is a huge difference in the structure of the two, thus part of the reason you're running into a brick wall with arguing it.

Again, I support you trying to get your own thread, Knights. I wish you the best in your efforts.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Again, I support you trying to get your own thread, Knights. I wish you the best in your efforts

Thanks, that means alot.

11. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    "In spite of being unbelievably busy, the top of page one of the 3SA was always the social boards due in no small part to the SK. "

Actually, as the same thing happened years before The SKs were formed, in three different prequel forums, it wasn't due to the SKs whatsoever. Just because they came to dominate and drove people away really means nothing. I started the first GIL is 3SA back in early 2002, and that thing got up to about 100,000 posts before or just after the knights were formed.

"They shouldn't, but mods can easily lock social threads that they feel are just flat out spam if the policy were to be lifted. "

There you go, mods. Allow the SKs to have a thread, and lock it by the fifth post of nothing but pics of near naked women with big jugs. Then everyone is happy.

12. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm resigned to the fact we're are not going to get a thread, so I'm gonna make a big fuss out of this. The mods are not going to change their minds, so why waste time over it?

13. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Because even when it doesen't appear to have an effect, it does. You remember the thread I made back in December over removing nashira as an icon manager? I was thought of as being crazy for not automatically supporting her, and yet, after the thread's time had ended, she stepped down. Threads like these have subtle, yet effective, power. Don't give up until you get what you want. Some of the mods may not appear to give a damn, but there are discussions going on behind closed doors. Appearances can be decieving. Decisions are being made. If no one complained, this site would suck. Communications is here for complaints. They all have some kind of effect.

I'm not a Knight, but I'm with your efforts. :)

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I have a solution! Create a new Social Groups form. This can make everybody happy. All existing social groups in the JCC can be moved there, thus easing traffic in the JCC & the Knights and other groups can finally get threads. I think this can work. Moderating there would be a hassle I know, but its better to have one fourm just for Social Groups than in lumping them all in the JCC. What y'all think?

15. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    I think that's been brought up before. Number one NO reason is that no mod would want to mod sucha forum.

16. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    For the record, I'm not a Knight, nor am I particularly fond of the knights, because they say mean things about my sister in their offshoot board.

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    See I would be the crazy person to volunteer for that job.....But that's not what my post is about on that aspect.

I see putting them all in their own forum as a downfall simply because I've always viewed the JCC as a social place. There use to be a ton of Social threads back in the day 5 years ago. Which in all honesty wasn't a big deal cause well, there were at least 20 people to each thread. By creating another forum you lose the purpose of the YJCC. It's in the title Your Jedi Council Community. Here come talk with other users about stuff. Join Groups, make friends, have a good laugh, you know whatever.

It just seems pointless to move all the Social Threads are create a bored just for that purpose because why should people go to the JCC if they can just go to the Social Thread board and create a thread for them and their 2 friends. Just seems a bit of wasted space in my opinion. Here's an option, because some of us can't see the point of the policy.

Why not for the Summer till August 31st lift the ban. If things are out of hand put it back in place locking any or all Social threads created from this day till then. And go back to the one month rule. If the boards get flooded then naysayers will learn an important lesson, trust the adminstration. And if it doesn't then the adminstration realizes hey maybe people got smart and stopped creating 50 million social threads. I think a couple months gives everyone time to re-evulate the current policy and figure out where to go from. That's just my thoughts.

~PK~

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Darth_Ignant posted on 6/8/05 10:42pm
    I think that's been brought up before. Number one NO reason is that no mod would want to mod sucha forum.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]They can always find somebody. Hell the 3SA was (and still is sometimes) a zoo.[/color]

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    It stinks, its unfair & its wrong, not just for us, but for any user who wants to have their fun with a social group/thread.

Well, not really. It only stinks for members of your group. How do you think the other people who want to "have their fun with a social group/thread" who are ahead of you in the queue for social thread creation would feel if you got special treatment and were allowed a thread while they had to stay on line? And if the line were totally done away with, it would stink for everyone because the JCC would be so full of threads started by newbies with the title "JOIN THIS CLUB!" that no social thread would get more than two members.

Moderating there would be a hassle I know, but its better to have one fourm just for Social Groups than in lumping them all in the JCC.

However, limiting the obscenely large number of social threads that used to exist in JCC is better than either of those options, in the opinion of many. It is good thinking on your part to suggest getting the social threads out of JCC so they won't bother the people who don't want all the clutter, but the problems are a) that was what JCC was originally intended to be, so what would the purpose of JCC be if another forum were deemed the "chat" forum, and b) you wouldn't be able to get any moderator to touch such a forum with a ten-meter-long poking stick.

They can always find somebody. Hell the 3SA was (and still is sometimes) a zoo.

That isn't really analogous, though. A lot of people actually enjoyed posting in 3SA and wanted to moderate it, hectic as it was. The reason your social thread would be hectic isn't the plethora of trolls it would get, though. It would be full of bizarre, cliqueish threads in which users made hundreds of posts a day about things unintelligible to outsiders. I highly doubt any moderator would be willing to sit in front of the computer all day and read it all.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Dark Lady Mara posted on 6/8/05 11:30pm
    [i]It stinks, its unfair & its wrong, not just for us, but for any user who wants to have their fun with a social group/thread.[/i]

Well, not really. It only stinks for members of [i]your[/i] group. How do you think the other people who want to "have their fun with a social group/thread" who are ahead of you in the queue for social thread creation would feel if you got special treatment and were allowed a thread while they had to stay on line? And if the line were totally done away with, it would stink for everyone because the JCC would be so full of threads started by newbies with the title "JOIN THIS CLUB!" that no social thread would get more than two members.

[i]Moderating there would be a hassle I know, but its better to have one fourm just for Social Groups than in lumping them all in the JCC.[/i]

However, limiting the obscenely large number of social threads that used to exist in JCC is better than either of those options, in the opinion of many. It is good thinking on your part to suggest getting the social threads out of JCC so they won't bother the people who don't want all the clutter, but the problems are a) that was what JCC was originally intended to be, so what would the purpose of JCC be if another forum were deemed the "chat" forum, and b) you wouldn't be able to get any moderator to touch such a forum with a ten-meter-long poking stick.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]Either A) find somebody to mod that fourm who would do it, there would have to somebody, B) Things weren't [b]THAT[/b] before this damn policy was put in place, everybody is overracting to that aspect of the argument IMHO.[/color]

21. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    I'm sure there'd be people willing to do it, but consult your Venn diagram and see how many are also suitable for modship. Looks like two seperate circles to me.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Darth_Ignant posted on 6/8/05 11:55pm
    I'm sure there'd be people willing to do it, but consult your Venn diagram and see how many are also suitable for modship. Looks like two seperate circles to me.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]If people can mod the 3SA, people could mod this fourm.[/color]

23. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Do you really see no difference between modding a forum about a subject someone loves, and a load of social threads? In fact, the one thing you've said that makes 3SA the same is that 3SA is a 'zoo'. That's making a hug assumption that any social thread forum would be busy as hell (which means we now need 4-5 mods, not just 1 or 2). Is there any ACTUAL similarity at all?

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Darth_Ignant posted on 6/8/05 11:58pm
    Do you really see no difference between modding a forum about a subject someone loves, and a load of social threads? In fact, the one thing you've said that makes 3SA the same is that 3SA is a 'zoo'. That's making a hug assumption that any social thread forum would be busy as hell (which means we now need 4-5 mods, not just 1 or 2). Is there any ACTUAL similarity at all?
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]Well 4 or 5 people could always be found ya know.[/color]

25. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    You'd want five extra moderators promoted and an extra forum created just so you can have a social thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.