[JCC] social threads (now discussing an "Official" JCC social thread)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Since I can't discuss an issue with every single moderator via PM and have a flowing discussion that way, I'd like to bring up some concerns about the JCC here and get some sort of discussion going on about the fact.

For the past 2 years or so, there's been a huge lockdown on social threads. There are waiting lists that seem to span months and the few that are there never seem to get enough posts. Now, a few of you guys were around before/during/after the release of Attack of the Clones. Remember how the JCC had a few social threads - the BBQ thread, pool party, etc? Yeah, those threads. The ones where everyone goofed around, had a good time and got to know each other.

Well, there's always been this excuse that social threads don't add to community building behaviour. I would like to disagree completely. Those threads in the JCC did get a lot of posts, yes. They weren't discussion of any one topic but a themed outlet to get to know people. Well, I would like to point out right now that those threads were community building for two main reasons: a), users met people they didn't know and created friendships. b) there wasn't any harm with the threads to the JCC except taking up some server space. Yes, after a while too many were made and caused problems because everyone and their friends wanted their own. So, you guys some years ago (maybe not the current JCC moderators) imposed this limit on social threads. A fairly small one. And this waiting list.

I think you guys should loosen that up a bit. Maybe even have some (god forbid me saying this) "official" social threads. Perhaps a return of the pool party? People got together, had fun, made friends - besides discussion, isn't that what forums are for?

So, why don't you guys allow a little more freedom with social threads? What could it hurt? They were extremely fun; once that vital element was taken from the JCC it seems that the fun factor declined on the board quite a bit and things just turned somewhat sour. Of course, this last paragraph is mainly how I feel about it.

So, JCC moderators: how about letting us have a few more social threads?

malkie edit title edited at authors request
  2. Iron_Fist Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [JCC Social threads/groups policy] A 6 month wait for a 1 month thread? This needs to end NOW.

Locking comment:

At this point, this discussion has been going around in circles, and is hereby over. Let it go.

I am locking this thread.

Kimball Kinnison/>

A blatant violation of the JCC social threads policy

Locking comment: (7/29)

As well written as your post is, I don't fancy its survival chances, James. There's been three or four threads on the policy in the past few months, and all have been met with the same answer: The JCC team has not and will not alter its stance on the issue.

I_F/>/>/>/>
  3. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    I've seen those threads over the past few years. And now there's a bit of new blood with the JCC moderator staff. Not every group of JCC moderators follows what those before them did. Hell, normally they don't whatsoever.

As for not allowing for the discussion to be brought up now and then... if it's not allowed, there's no bloody point in a Communications board. I just want to hear the opinions of the JCC moderators (nobody else unless they frequently post in the JCC, actually) and the users and just try and see some of the reasoning of it. Answers before never seemed too clear and honestly, it's a point that should be brought up from time to time because the atmosphere of the JCC changes quite a bit and quite often.

And to refer to the last KK post you quoted, KK said complaining. Complaining doesn't equal discussion last time I remember, right? ;)
  4. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I have to echo James' sentiment here. I have participated in several community threads and found each to be a positive experience. They simply provide a foundation for any community here. They are the places where new members meet old and get to yuck it up. Now, I do agree there should be a creation limit to a degree, but why not official threads? Why not open a B&G (I have my franchise license somewhere...)? The Pool Party was mentioned* and why not bring it to the fore? I really think Community Building Spam, like those gargantuan, wandering social threads do more good than harm and do we really have to concern ourselves with space? Many times we've thought about server space we've ended up losing valuable history.

*Funny story - I typed "Poop Party." Story's over. Go home.
  5. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Ah, the old "community building spam".

To be a bit epic here, how can more JC history be made if no more outlets are available?
    Yes, other threads can be historic; this is known. Those who was around when the term of community building spam was used and actually encouraged by the JCC moderators ought to remember how open and friendly the JCC felt. Now it feels like things are blocked off and such. The only things that are somewhat* friendly are social groups. And many of those aren't what they used to be.

* Ignoring possible fighting/arguing between groups
  6. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There is also the point that when those above quoted threads were made, the JC was around its peak, with heaps of new members streaming in every few days.

Now I think we are seeing a rapid decline in the rate of new users (correct me if I am wrong - this is just from my own observations) and a revival in many oldbies. I think the presence of James and Bane in this thread should tell you that the user base of the JC is moving back to older users with a handful of newbies here and there. Surely a few more active social threads couldn't hurt, especially in the begining of a new era in the boards?
  7. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I remember these old threads, I even posted in them and had fun. I liked them as they allowed me to talk with a few users at the same time and talk about things. If someone had a problem and they wanted some general help without starting a thread then they could post there and they would get help as not everyone read them and no one was inclined to make sarcastic comments.

The problem with not allowing new social threads is that the old ones are well established and have thousands of posts, the blue yoda society has 2430 and is 49 pages at 50 posts per page and the lightside thread has 3860 and is 78 pages long. Once a thread gets too large it looks off putting, you might read the first page and jump in to find yourself way off topic or you might just read the last page and end up sounding like a complete n00b. Even with non-social threads I find myself put off them if they're too long, it might sound silly but I was put off replying to thread that was two pages long.

I think there has to be some slack in this. Having a waiting list for threads that are designed to be social threads is ok, as long as it's short. Locking threads designed to be social threads that haven't oked isn't that bad. But when a thread goes from a normal thread and turns into a social thread it should stay open. The Gay Bar thread cam from the 'Are you gay?' thread, and even though it was a social thread it still served it's original purpose.

I think there is a need for a fun thread, either a pool party or a bbq, just somewhere we can be silly and instead of it being a problem it's actually encouraged.
  8. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7

People got together, had fun, made friends - besides discussion, isn't that what forums are for?

and

The ones where everyone goofed around, had a good time and got to know each other.

and

those threads were community building for two main reasons: a), users met people they didn't know and created friendships. b) there wasn't any harm with the threads to the JCC except taking up some server space.

Can you explain why you feel this doesn't occur in the currently monthly social threads?

We did review the policy recently, and increased the number of new social threads from one to two per month.

The reasons for the policy still stand. Firstly, having a new social thread each month promotes new social discussion, and hopefully attracts any newbies to post (compared to an established social thread which might seem scary to start posting in). Secondly, it keeps things fresh and exciting with a new theme every month (we've had pool partys on the death star etc etc).

So, why don't you guys allow a little more freedom with social threads? What could it hurt?

Surely by having focused social threads (ie only two per month) we actually concentrate the social chat into two specific threads. As a result there is more interaction between people who wouldn't otherwise meet. Having too many social threads leads to a select few posters effectively having their own social thread which wouldn't be community building.

So yes, it would hurt.

You also run the risk of promoting spamming to bump your own social thread back to page one because it hasn't been posted in while you or your group of friends have been offline. We know that this sort of thing happens because we recently locked a few threads for bump-spamming.

Although the JCC staff might have changed, the reasons for the policies have not. I honestly don't see the point to this thread, seeing as it's been covered by different groups of JCC mods always with the same outcome.

[face_waiting_for_Tunick_to_post]
  9. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That is a funny story. :D

I think this forum should have a social thread. [face_mischief]
  10. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If you review Tunick's thread, the policy was already changed per previous Comms discussion - now there are two social threads per month.

Why isn't that enough?
  11. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Can you explain why you feel this doesn't occur in the currently monthly social threads?

I can - you can't create a strong, trusted group of friends in a month. The current policy's major drawback is, in my own personal opinion at least, is that it inhibits the creation of strong social networks within a given thread because that thread is locked after a month. They can move to the next one, sure, but it could have a different focus and throw things off. Obviously this also inhibits the creation of cliques and social groups, which you and I both know isn't always a bad thing. ;) Tightly-knit groups can be intimidating to newbies, to say the least. That - combined with the fact that we don't have twenty pool parties on the front page - are the primary reasons for the existence of the policy. (Note: this post is in no way saying that we should remove the policy, I still support it.)

I'm not a Comms mod, so it's not really my call whether this should be locked or not, but little has changed since the last time this was brought up. I'm well aware that the policy has flaws, as most will. We can't please everyone. The social thread atmosphere was a product of the culture within JCC at the time, and that culture has changed considerably since then.
  12. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm not a Comms mod, so it's not really my call whether this should be locked or not, but little has changed since the last time this was brought up. I'm well aware that the policy has flaws, as most will. We can't please everyone. The social thread atmosphere was a product of the culture within JCC at the time, and that culture has changed considerably since then.

That's basically how i feel. I really do think things are better off the way they are now than they would be with free social threads. it's a matter of opinion. But i do think the current policy is best overall.
  13. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://www.state.gov/cms_images/20030320_bush-cabinet2_copy.jpg]

All in agreement?

Good.
  14. Kimball_Kinnison Chosen One

star 6
    I'm going to give this time for the remaining JCC mods to speak up, and if they are all in agreement, this will be locked.

Kimball Kinnison
  15. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Best overall is a point of view of course. Since my two previous threads have been linked to in this thread & since the JCC mods know my position on this matter, there isn't much I can add here except for this: it's great to see that others here feel the same way I do.
  16. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  17. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Four people decide?

Forum mods decide. And hey, in other forums, sometimes there's just one mod. so count yourself lucky :)
  18. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Those four are the mods of the forum. For a long time now they've all been on the same page regarding social thread policy. They've been consistent over the course of a variety of mods, not just the four you see on this day.
  19. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Kimball_Kinnison posted on 9/6/05 8:17am
    I'm going to give this time for the remaining JCC mods to speak up, and if they are all in agreement, this will be locked.

Kimball Kinnison
    />

Why wait? We all know all the JCC mods postion on the ridiculous policy./>/>
  20. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://www.trentarthur.info/images/Guantanamo-1.jpg]

Yes, Ma'am. [face_plain]

For the record, I really don't care about social threads. I care about the behaviour of human beings in "power".
  21. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    T_S_W - do you have an alternative you could suggest? The current mods represent the community (one could argue far more so than collections of previous JCC mods).

Ultimately one person decides what happens to the boards, and that's the owner. Typically speaking he defers judgement to another single person (the head admin), who, for the most part trusts the decisions of the mods of any given forum.

It's the way it is for everything around here. Doesn't mean you have to like it, but it stands. We always listen in Comms, but that doesn't mean we have to change things just because a few people want it changed.
  22. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, for starters, half of the time I can't find these new social threads. And when I do, they're the quality of the threads that would've been locked 2-3 years ago when many social threads were allowed. They just don't seem very.. social. Whether or not that's the creator's fault or perhaps just the fact that it could be the JCC doesn't care anymore.. I'm not sure. As for going from one per month to two, cool. But, where are they? They're not in the forum index at all and I couldn't find them earlier when I tried to. If anything, they could be noted as social threads. Perhaps the reason that they're not so visible is that the JCC doesn't care for them; perhaps they're just not the best of social threads.

Or perhaps it wouldn't. It didn't happen in the past; social threads weren't fully isolated. Some were; but not all. And in the end, those that seemed "exclusive" weren't allowed.

If that happens then you should blame the user and not the thread. Just because someone's a spammer doesn't mean that it's a thread's fault. You can handle that from there. And if everyone in the thread does it, by all means, lock the thread.

Alright, then why don't you guys do what jedi-mind-trick did a few years back and create an "official" social thread - a more "open" one, one that isn't locked after a month, one that can have a set theme and be changed from time to time, etc? I know you guys remember the fun, goofy social threads. Hell, I remember some of you posting in them. They were one of the stronger points to the JCC, in my opinion. How could a third social thread hurt things? If it flops, it flops; lock it, ignore suggestions such as this and move on. If not, keep it going and have some fun.

Seriously - how could an "official" social thread hurt? You guys could post it yourselves, make note of it with pretty *Official* text in the title and set the themes yourselves. Just keep it open and keep it friendly - yes, that would require it
  23. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thank you for explaining it in a civilized manner. :)

It makes perfect sense to me now.

@};-
  24. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Well, for starters, half of the time I can't find these new social threads.

I agree with your latter interpretation. I don't see how an official thread would alter that.
  25. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I guess if one cared enough about this issue, one could write an open letter to the Site Owner, along with a signed petition.

Hopefully that person would have eloquence and a clear understanding of the history and inner workings of the JCC.

Unless... she's right - then one would have to communicate with Forum Mods:

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.