main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] social threads (now discussing an "Official" JCC social thread)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    All I'm saying is just one extra and not even let us make it - let you guys make it. That way, you guys control what it's based around and everything.

That would be the equivalent of letting Rush Limbaugh run the campaign of the Dems choice for President in 2008. Letting the mods starting & controlling a new thread I think is a bad idea, because they would look for any excuse to lock it after a while. Of course, it's futile to even discuss the idea, because for the JCC mods to change a much loved policy (in their opinions) will never happen.
    [face_plain]

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Why would we lock a thread that we authorised? That seem silly.

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Tunick, as always your cheap jabs at the JCC mods actually hurt your chances of change. Typically people ignore what you say because your posts are filled with negativity.

Look at the time and effort RMC has put into his posts and realise that is the way to conduct a discussion.

4. The_Scarlet_Woman

The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2005
    Honestly Tunick, there is a certain site we both know about that has "no rules". :)

This one has rules.

If you want to change the rules, you have to follow the chain of command.

droideka27 says Forum Mods decide, Malkie says ultimately the Site Owner/Head Admin decides.

And posting in red really doesn't help in my humble opinion. :)

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    The only reason I find half of the social threads is due to the fact that they were noted as "social thread". Plus, the official social thread in the second half of '02 (once they were starting to be capped off) had quite a bit of activity. Perhaps it was because it was started by a moderator of the JCC and that brought attention. Perhaps because it was getting a lot of posts so it was fairly prominent in the board. The current ones have neither. Like I said earlier - it could be because the threads just aren't good quality social threads that bring users in. Hell, duds are one in a million. So why not try to make one that isn't a dud and compare the quality?

I mean, a "party" is a lot more open to users and going to bring more in to socialize than "car repair social thread". It's got more.. life to it, it seems. And I know not everyone parties. More people party, though, than repair cars. (This is just an example)

I don't mind the waiting list at all. What I mind is how hard it is to find these threads, how dull they are and how there seems to be no real support for them by the moderators. I feel they could do a bit to bring some life to things.

Exactly. Something fun and goofy. :)

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I guess if one cared enough about this issue, one could write an open letter to the Site Owner, along with a signed petition.

So rather than four people decide you'd prefer it if only one person decides? I don't really follow your logic there.

Anyone is free to PM the site owner at anytime over any matter. Chances are he'll redirect you to the forum mods, or to Sapes, showing his faith in his staff.

7. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I don't think so at all. I think that by having the JCC moderators actively involved somewhat with the creation of a social thread, it'd prosper more for. There are a few reasons behind it:

- Newer users tend to flock to threads created by those in colors
    - If they put effort into it, they're not going to want to watch it go down

As for taking it to the site owner, I'd rather not do that. I can guarantee you that the moderators of the boards in question care a lot more about this issue than he does. ;)

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    HawkNC posted on 9/6/05 8:47am
    Why would we lock a thread that we authorised? That seem silly.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]Well I don't the thread will come to exist anyway, so I was throwing out possibilites as to what could happen (the thread could be locked after a really crazy day of TOS violating posts).[/color]

9. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Or not. In typical JC fashion, the users in question could be warned, banned and the posts deleted or edited to keep things on topic. :)

10. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    - Newer users tend to flock to threads created by those in colors
    - If they put effort into it, they're not going to want to watch it go down

I have to agree with both of your points there RMC, but it appears to differ from your original point.

Would you like to see a single (in addition to the waiting list) "official" social thread in the JCC ? Because that's possibly different from your original point of wanting to review the social threads policy.

11. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, as I stated in my first post, I wasn't trying to go head to head with the policy but moreso discuss it. There are benefits to the current policy, yes. Good lord, I don't want to see 10 inane social threads where people are desperate to get posts for them so they up them and spam in them. That's why they were locked last time and abandoned. Too many is too many.

I'd much rather see an official social thread in the JCC than that byfar. As long as it's fun, goofy and friendly.

12. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    I thought you clearly explained the way things work on this site. :confused:
    I'm not going to impose my own beliefs and values on a "private" site. :)

Anyway... time for lunch. :p

I'm hungry. =P~

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    RidingMyCarousel posted on 9/6/05 8:54am
    Or not. In typical JC fashion, the users in question could be warned, banned and the posts deleted or edited to keep things on topic. [face_happy] [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]True, but what you propose will not end the policy, which is my goal. T_S_W_, A) My account doesn't work there & B) Just because I post in red shouldn't make any difference.[/color]

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I just want to ask something, where are these new social threads? I don't think I've seen a new social thread since the latest revision of an old one, and that hardly makes them new.

15. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I'd much rather see an official social thread in the JCC than that byfar. As long as it's fun, goofy and friendly.

Well this is a separate point, which hasn't been discussed before, and could probably do with some input from the JCC Mods.

I don't think the current social thread policy should be altered at all - but I'd entertain dicussion on an additional "official" mod started social thread.

16. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I've been trying to find them myself. No luck. *shrug* At the very least, the current social threads should be marked or posted in the index to be easily found.

I don't think the current policy should be altered at all, unless it were to include some form of official social thread. I mean, if we can't find current JCC social threads, we'd most likely suffer from problems that the old ones had (many of which were mentioned above). An official social thread might see some changes to warrant a policy change months or years down the road, but that's not the issue I'm concerned about.

If you'd like, I'll outline what I'm getting at for a clearer discussion.

17. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    The current social thread in JCC is "We that sitteth on the porch" or something similar. As per the new policy, there's probably another one somewhere, but I'm not sure which one it is right now. (It's 2 AM here and I'm supposed to be studying, so I'm not hunting for it right now. :p)

The concept of an official social thread is one I'd be willing to discuss. A single permanent social thread, along with a couple of rotating threads, might provide a workable solution to the flaws of having or not having the current policy.

18. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I frankly don't like the social threads just for the sake of social threads at all. I have yet to find even one that is not cliqueish, and sometimes the social group becomes so cliquesh they start trying to take over the whole forum, posting everything, commandeering other threads...well, I won't go into the sordid history of some of the past JC social groups.

I'm not saying abolish social threads, some people like 'em, if that's their thing, then go for it. But I also don't see any reason for there to be any more than there already are. In my opinion, there's already plenty or more than enough.

The threads in which I have found the most meaningful conversations and have felt most included and met the most people are the threads that are not started as a social thread, but ends up drawing a group of people to it, out of common interests, and they discuss the thread's topic and also get to know each other. Those are the really cool threads, not just the random "let's get together and say 'hi' and 'bye' all day" social threads.

But again, I know some people here love those, so I'm not by any means saying I think we should restrict them further, only that I also believe there is no need for any more.

In short, I am, for once, agreeing with the administration on this issue.

19. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, here's a suggestion:

* One official social thread by the JCC moderators alongside the two others allowed per month.
    * Have them all denoted as social threads to help them be "seen" by the JCC
    * for the official thread, give it a lighthearted topic/theme.
    * don't tolerate spamming/upping/trolling of them, but don't take it out on the thread.

It's nothing too much to ask for. Plus, there are plenty of themes out there that could be used. Once the thread reaches 5k posts, lock it, start another if the first one was successful and so forth. It'd be different from the other social threads because it'd be something the moderators control and get involved with (to an extent at the least), have a set theme, etc. The other threads could do as they wish. A compromise worth settling for. Better than seeing 4 great, funny social threads and 20 bad ones, no? ;)

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Connemara posted on 9/6/05 9:11am
    The threads in which I have found the most meaningful conversations and have felt most included and met the most people are the threads that are not started as a social thread, but ends up drawing a group of people to it, out of common interests, and they discuss the thread's topic and also get to know each other. Those are the really cool threads. [hr][/blockquote]

Those are the best types, but I've seen some threads like that locked because they've turned into social threads.

21. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    "Cliqueish" social groups don't intimidate me personally. If they are talking about something that I'm interested in, I jump right in. :)

If they just ignore me, even better. [face_mischief]

If they mess with me, even better than better. [face_mischief][face_mischief]

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Just my .02 creds, lately I've been posting in the JCC more, and was wishing there was an over arching (sp?) social thread to get to know the regulars there a little better (I'm a social thread junky). I like what RMC has proposed, it seems relatively reasonable.

23. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I'd like to go out on a limb and say that "group" threads are more cliquish than social threads. Of course, after a while, there'll be a few users who "click" together because they post together in the same thread(s) for a while. It's just the simple logic of social behaviour.

24. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Jedi_Dajuan posted on 9/6/05 9:36am
    Just my .02 creds, lately I've been posting in the JCC more, and was wishing there was an over arching (sp?) social thread to get to know the regulars there a little better (I'm a social thread junky). I like what RMC has proposed, it seems relatively reasonable. [hr][/blockquote] I concur. I'm not super active in YJCC but I think the latest suggestion by [b]RMC[/b] makes a lot of sense. :)

[b]EDIT:[/b] Added quote

25. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I think an overarching social thread open to everyone and started by the mods is a great idea. It provides stability and coherency in the social groups while allowing everyone and their clique to still have a shot with the waiting list.

I think it's incredible that what began as a thread started simply because RMC was bored (c'mon :p) has turned into something highly relevant with high potential. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.