[JCC] social threads (now discussing an "Official" JCC social thread)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Just explaining it better for the slow kids :p
  2. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Hmmm... this is really a mixed bag to me right now... I'll think it through more and post my own input when I get home from school.

But anyway...

* One official social thread by the JCC moderators alongside the two others allowed per month.
    * Have them all denoted as social threads to help them be "seen" by the JCC
    * for the official thread, give it a lighthearted topic/theme.
    * don't tolerate spamming/upping/trolling of them, but don't take it out on the thread.

If we're going to have an official, mod started and sponsored social thread, then perhaps you all should just make it a pin-up? That'll create precedent which creates good amounts attention and interest. Additionally, spam-type posts of the "upping" quality will be a no-show. Forgive me if this was already suggested.

3. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    stickying the social thread would be a HUGE mistake.

First of all, for some reason, and it may just be my computer, but after I post in a sticky, it takes a few minutes for the number on the YJCC to change from 10 posts to 11 posts. Ya know what I'm saying? It'll take forever to just have a conversation unless you stay inside the thread constantly refreshing.
  4. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    That's odd. :confused: I don't believe I have that problem.

Have you reported it to the tech errors thread?
  5. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's an error I get, too. I don't think stickying a social thread on the JCC would be a good idea.
  6. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I agree with what RMC is saying about having one big social thread. I also agree with some of the other users that if this is implimented then it should not be in sticky, rather a normal thread. In the end it's really up to the JCC mods to decide what they think is best for the forum. I think we have to accept their decsions when they make them.
  7. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, the pin-up possibility goes flying out of the window. :p

8. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You're such a sweet person. :)

How about something like "The Playground", seeing that Moderators like to treat people like children. :)

You can come out waving your ban stick, just like they used to do when I was a kid. :)
  9. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    offended easily?
  10. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    On a sidenote here, I made a funny banner for the Amphitheatre when I was still moderating it that I wanted to put up for April Fools but I retired before then. On it, it said "Carosel's Playground" and was fairly funny. It had me holding a lightsaber and people in terrified poses while holding books. hehe.

Anyways. I'm going to just go out and assume you guys are discussing this in the mod squad now?
  11. Cpt_Obvious Jedi Master

star 4
    you know what they say about assuming things.

Personally, I like how antisocial the JC is. I fit right in.
  12. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    [face_plain]
  13. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like you. :)

And I really like the idea of "Playground". Makes me feel like a naughty school girl again. [face_mischief]
  14. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    If we have an official JCC social thread, it definitely shouldn't be a sticky thread. Sticky threads tend to get overlooked and/or fade into the background.
  15. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    On the alternate wavelength, then, what about a header link? (Asked in the event it is decided to try it.)
  16. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That'd make more sense than a sticky thread, in my opinion. I believe we did that in the Amphitheatre for a time.

Armenian: I was using that in reference to the playground comment above. :p
  17. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    yes, you explained it to me on the phone.
  18. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Playground: Everyone play nice in the sandbox

;)
  19. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    It's just gonna eventually turn into a dozen or so regular posters, thus becoming just like a regular social thread. That's not fair to those people on the waiting list.

If you wanna meet JC people, use the Lightside, Darkside, its 4am, etc. That's what they are for.
  20. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
    I too think a Official Social Thread is a good idea. With the two monthly threads, the other thread will be a nice alternative. And a header link would be nice.

It's just gonna eventually turn into a dozen or so regular posters, thus becoming just like a regular social thread. That's not fair to those people on the waiting list. If you wanna meet JC people, use the Lightside, Darkside, its 4am, etc. That's what they are for.

But in the end, that usually happens to all social threads. And also, many of those threads are also social groups. So many people have no interest going into those threads.
  21. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    Whilst I don't go into the social threads much I can't see there being any problems with a mod sponsored long running social club alongside the two rotating ones.

It would still allow diversity as you would be rotating two social clubs (by my understanding this happens once every two weeks and the thread runs for a month/4 weeks)

This would also allow for a solid social community to develop in the mod sponsored thread as the thread would be able to run until 10000 posts etc.
    Mods could also change the theme of the thread at anytime to help entice new posters if it did ever go stale. e.g. start off with a Back to School/College comiserations party, October Haloween party, November Hot tub party, December Christmas party etc.....
    You don't have to change the theme every month though as that would put it on a par with the rotating thread but only when you feel it gets stale or if a one off event is coming up i.e haloween or christmas.

Just an idea.
  22. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I remember The Mistletoe thread last year was very popular. A different theme each month would be a good idea. :)

23. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/images/N179.jpg]

:p
  24. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    This may be where I diverge with the other mods, but I generally don't say no to something just because it might not work. It'd hardly be a forum-changing experiment, no matter how it runs.
  25. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    [face_love]

So, will it be given a chance? So far the support from both users and moderators looks fairly high.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.