[JCC] social threads (now discussing an "Official" JCC social thread)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    HawkNC posted on 9/7/05 9:35pm
    might not work. It'd hardly be a forum-changing experiment, no matter how it runs.

/>

No diverging from me, Hawk. I'm all for giving something a try. If it fails, it fails. No harm done. If it works, though, more power to it./>/>
  2. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So, uh, it's decided then?

So... when? And what will you call it?
  3. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I echo TheBoogieMan's sentiments on this one.
  4. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    So this is going to happen? I debate the policy for days (back in June) & nothing of significance happend. [face_plain]
  5. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Unless I misunderstood, the talk is of a completely new dedicated social thread not a change in policy.
  6. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If anything, just a minor alteration.

But I hope it's in the works. I mean, all it requires is a theme, a somewhat catchy title and a simple post :p
  7. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    DVeditor posted on 9/8/05 10:11pm

/>

I argued for the change in policy so users can form their own social threads that don't last a month, so there could be many dedicated threads. Oh well. [face_plain]/>/>
  8. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, where's a JCC mod when you need one?
  9. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The dialogue for getting it going has been opened, just waiting on all input to see what we're doing for the title/etc, since it appears we're all in agreement on it.
  10. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
  11. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  12. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    A good result I feel
  13. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    This will end up being a bad idea.
  14. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Tunick's posts in COmms make me laugh harder then anything on this planet. You're a funny guy Armen. [face_dancing]
  15. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Quoted for agreement.

M. Scott
  16. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I humbly disagree. Many threads get locked for going "off topic" and becoming "social".
    If you want proof, I'll gladly take the time to find an example.

The nice thing about a social thread is that there is no topic. Your mind is free to wander without the restraint of a "topic".

Granted, the challenge of staying on topic is fun. But it would be nice to have an official, non-cliquish, moderator-established social thread where you can ramble on about anything with anyone at any given time.

:)
  17. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    Well might as well throw my vote of agreement that an Offical thread is a great idea.

I've always been a supporter of the social threads. When I first started posting here, was back with 2sa and 3sa were the same board and known as PSA. I didn't know anyone, I was just here for spoilers and wanted to talk about them. Then I noticed this lone little thread, I don't remember the full title but it was something Grill. And I posted in it cause it implied it was a social break from talking spoilers. The following day it was locked cause it had to many posts and Vert started The Cantina.

Which I know it seems silly to be comparing the JCC to 2SA but it really isn't. See I met a many of people and great friends cause of that one thread. I personally kept coming back because of that one thread. Heck I even ventured out and started posting on other forums throughout these boards. And in all honesty after 2 years and the height of the drama I left the JC for a bit. But when I came back, I sought out the social thread. Why because it was what was familar to me. It felt like home.

And I think its a great community builder. Because everyone is welcome in Official Social Threads. And people you usual would never meet or talk to, this gives you the chance to talk to and meet them. Plus to get to know someone just maybe you thought sucked or something before but to find out they don't. So yeah I totally support an official thread. Sorry if any of the things I said were said before.

~PK~
  18. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's been a week or two.

*yawn*
  19. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  20. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I know they're almost ready to put something out there, they've been discussing the details just here in the last day or two.
  21. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cool.

Thanks rhonderoo. :)
  22. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  23. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah. Although, I must admit, for something that should be really a non-issue to fix up (it's just starting a damn thread!) it seems to have taken an inordinately long time...
  24. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It's a matter of putting the 'finishing touches' on how the thread will be handled from the moderation level, basically. And apologies, it got a little side-tracked with trying to get the finishing touches placed on the travelling social thread as mentioned in the update. That one sort of took precedence as it is more board-wide than the official JCC social thread would be.

Now that the finer points of the travelling thread are hammered out, and just waiting for that thread to roll out, we'll shift some focus back to this one. Hopefully, we'll roll it out also within a couple days. :)
  25. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Fair enough. I can understand that the administration is easily distracted by bright... shiny... social threads. ooh! Looky!

//runs
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.