main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] "This thread belongs in the Senate"

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_OlsenTwins, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    all thread topics (bar religion for JCC i guess) should be open for discussion in both forums. none of this case-by-case stuff. the person who starts the thread should understand what kind of discussion will follow, depending on the forum they make it in, though, that's all. i also don't think any mods should be locking threads which could "potentially" cause trouble, as what seems to be nashira's reasoning for the closure of the thread -- they should be warning individuals who cause trouble, instead, and allow discussion to be available for the rest of the users who aren't crossing any lines.

2. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I think it depends as much on how similar discussion has fared in the past and how well people are going to moderate it. If moderators just let things go and don't show up much, it's liable to get bad. But, the same could be said of the entire forum or site.

I definitely think moderator presence in such threads makes an enormous difference. If you look at the Senate, most of the moderators now (and in the past) get involved in nearly every discussion, which I believe helps to keep it in line quite well. I'm not advocating that the JCC mods should be required to be involved in every discussion, just make their presence known.

The light hearted threads is what makes up the JCC, without it it just turns into EU or even the senate.

I agree that the easygoing nature of the forum is what sets it apart from the rest, but there is no way that I believe it should strictly be that. An easygoing forum that has strict rules of what can or cannot be discussed is not very easygoing at all.

And the Senate and Amp. still retain their purposes. Just look at KW's example.

all thread topics (bar religion for JCC i guess) should be open for discussion in both forums. none of this case-by-case stuff. the person who starts the thread should understand what kind of discussion will follow, depending on the forum they make it in, though, that's all. i also don't think any mods should be locking threads which could "potentially" cause trouble, as what seems to be nashira's reasoning for the closure of the thread -- they should be warning individuals who cause trouble, instead, and allow discussion to be available for the rest of the users who aren't crossing any lines.

I agree 100%

You asked me why I locked it, I told you my reasons. What's missing in that?

Evidently, I did not like your answer.

3. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Apologies for not getting in here sooner. Fridays are my day off and, well, I wasn't here! ;)

My thinking, and I could be wrong (though it is near impossible that I would be wrong, about anything) is that the Senate is more of a college classroom discussion, while the JCC is more of a discussion to be had in a coffeehouse, as an analogy. The difference being atmosphere. There have been multiple threads in both for some time, and you can see the difference if you read through them.

Very good analogy. I really don't have a problem leaving a political or religious thread in the JCC and watching how it progresses.

I fail to see how some serious discussion in the JCC makes the forum any less fun. It only ever amounts to a few threads (at most) on the first page or two.

Exactly. Just because the forum is "fun" doesn't mean we can't have serious discussion. It just means that as mods, we need to watch the thread and moderate it more carefully to ensure that it doesn't turn into a JCC bashfest.

My "line" tends to be when the issue becomes a debate on a political/religious/topical issue that moves away from a "coffeehouse" discussion. Of course, for each mod, that can be a different interpretation. Honestly, the thread that nashira locked, I left open to see how it would flow. As I saw it, I didn't see that it was turning into a senate thread as much as it was the general discussion of the issue.

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I think it should probably be done on a case-by-case basis. If a serious discussion crops up in the JCC, there is nothing wrong with that.

The senate has serious discussion as its' "baseline", which is where I think it should be, and that is how I try and moderate. There's nothing wrong with "fun" in a thread, as long as it doesn't derail the discussion.

Peace,

V-03

5. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    KW The Senate and Amphitheatre are meant for serious discussions. However, they were never intended to remove serious discussion from the JCC. I fail to see how some serious discussion in the JCC makes the forum any less fun. It only ever amounts to a few threads (at most) on the first page or two.
    translation

you miss intrepreted what I meant in the first place, the bottom line is to keep the YJCC the way it is, and not turn it into a completely serious board. it would be taking the fun out of it.

sorry for the mislead

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    No one wants to turn it into a "completely serious board". Rather, to have a few serious discussions mixed in with everything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.