main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC]Why can't there be 2 Survivor threads?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by wild_karrde, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    ...And because I flip a coin and get heads 8 times in a row dictates that I'm to get heads on my 9th flip.

I really don't care about this issue anymore. For me, I'm now just curious how in the heck this has reached 3 pages. It's only repetitive arguments going over and over in a cycle with no real progress.

*bewildered*

2. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    what?!? no progress in a comms thread? surely you jest!

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I really don't care about this issue anymore.

Then why are you posting?

Anyway, I'm still at a loss as to why a non-spoiler thread is not allowed, when there is clearly demand for one. If there is also demand for a spoiler thread, then it should be allowed as well. I don't care if there's a spoiler thread, I just want a non-spoiler thread.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    "Then why are you posting? "

And you've said today you care less and less about the boards, and yet you've been whining and whining about this one issue across four or five different threads. It's akin to a temper tantrum.

It's being revisited in the MS, so just let them do their thing and stop complaining.

5. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    It's being revisited in the MS, so just let them do their thing and stop complaining.

Have you read this thread? It doesn't appear so. I am not complaining, I am asking a very simple question that has yet to be answered. In fact, just the opposite has happened as many people have agreed with me (including 2 JCC mods). You see Ignant, what we have going on here is what's commonly called a "discussion". That means that we are talking about a particular issue ("problem") and trying to come to a resolution (or, "solve the problem"). If you have any input or ideas, I'm sure we'd all love to hear them :)

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Football, which is infinitely more popular than Survivor, gets one thread and spoilers are allowed.

7. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Is the superbowl taped 3 months before it airs? I always thought it was live ...

Wait, are all the games pretaped? Do you already know who wins their season openers?

EDIT: Wait, if the superbowl is pre-taped, why all the controversy over the nipple? Why didn't they just edit it out months before it aired?

EDIT 2: Are other sports taped? What about baseball? Or basketball? Surely even hockey must be pre-taped. I bet you know who wins the Stanley Cup, don't ya? C'mon, admit it.

EDIT 3: What about the Olympics? Who wins the gymnastics gold medal? (I have a bet going on with a buddy over this one)

EDIT 4: I'm afraid to ask this one, but ... is bowling pre-taped? I hope not, because I would just die :(

OK, I'm starting to get stupid now. I hope you get my point though.

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    EDIT 2: Are other sports taped?

*cough* Smackdown *cough* ;)

9. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    That's not a sport, it's cruel and unusual punishment :p

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Football announces who won't play in the game BEFORE the game.

Survivor does it at the end of the game.

11. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    That is so weak dude. So very weak.

EDIT: Besides, if they ANNOUNCE who won't play, it's not a spoiler. CBS doesn't announce who gets voted out before it happens (except that one time in season 1, but that was a mistake by their internet department that was quickly taken down)

12. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "I am not complaining, I am asking a very simple question that has yet to be answered."

Your question is why can't there be two threads. The answer was redundancy. Then you complained about it now being redudant. Kate said way back it was being revisited in the MS. That is the place where the decision will be made. Every post in here, including this one, is hot air.

Nevermind sports threads, does every TV show get to have two threads now? And every movie? And, actually, aren't some sports on tape delay? Should the Survivor thread be spoiler free until it airs on the west coast, in order to be fair to those people?

KK is right; SW gets special treatment because this is a SW site. Anythign else should not garner the same kind of security. HTR is fine. If you want to not risk even that, don;t read the thread. Same as the argument regarding ridiculous amounts of LOTR or Matrix threads and when it;s clamped down upon, there are sites dedicated to those things, so go there.

Two threads may not be overkill for one show, but to be fair it should then be allowed for ever show, and that's just silly.

13. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Nevermind sports threads, does every TV show get to have two threads now? And every movie?

I've seen spoiler & non-spoiler threads for the same movie before (Matrix and LotR comes to mind).

And, actually, aren't some sports on tape delay?

I'm sure some are.

Should the Survivor thread be spoiler free until it airs on the west coast, in order to be fair to those people?

Actually, the Survivor 3 thread contained a spoiler warning for west coasters, but in future threads it was agreed that they would just not go into the thread until they saw it.

Two threads may not be overkill for one show, but to be fair it should then be allowed for ever show, and that's just silly.

If there is demad for it, then I think it's the administrations responsibility to look into those demands.

14. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Since when does demand have to do with it? There was plenty of demand for Survivor game threads and poop threads, but they got capped. Why is this different?

You need to compare this to other TV show threads. Dags said this moves it in line with other TV shows.

I do have a question of the YJCC mods, though. If you're supposed to be reading pretty much every thread, why were none of you aware of previous Survivor thread policies?

15. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    When a half dozen of the same threads are all on the first page, then it isn't "high demand" it is spam. You've been here long enough that you should know that.

16. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Actually, it;s fluff. And one man's fluff is another man's enetrtainment. I loathe the poop threads. Even a single one. That doesn't mean my opinion is any more important than the poop adovators and vice-versa. You want a double-standard. That doesn't fly.

17. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    If someone has a problem with the poop threads being closed, I advise they take it up with a mod or post a thread here. That is what Comms is for. I'm surprised you didn't already know that, because surely you wouldn't be trying to bring up something that has nothing to do with the current subject of this thread. That would be so unlike you.

Anyway, I would appreciate any more input that other mods might have about the Survivor situation (especially the other JCC mods that haven't posted here yet).

18. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Hrm. Well, look, I can appreciate where you're coming from, but my position simply doesnt change.

Other non-SW TV shows and movies work on the highlight to read principle, I dont think it's right that this one should get its own special rules. Thats about consistency.

For tradition...well, IMO, we arent bound by positions established years ago. Circumstances change, and tradition isnt a good reason to allow certain threads to have their own special rules.

I also see somewhat of a contradiction. You say there isnt demand for a spoiler thread. Well, then....whats the big deal if the Survivor thread is HTR? If people dont go for spoilers, then you wont see much in the thread.

We simply arent here to cater to different groups of fans for anything other than Star Wars. If you want to discuss Survivor, then we're happy to have you discuss it. But I simply dont see the need to have spoiler and spoiler free threads.

As always, though, this isnt solely up to me, so if the majority of JCC mods feel like changing the ruling, I'd be unhappy about the inconsistency, but I'd abide by their decision.

EDIT: I just dont think you should have different rules for different groups. Survivor is no better or worse than other shows, the fans are no better or worse than other fans, so it isnt fair to start giving Survivor its own rules that other shows dont get to follow.

19. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Dags show how smart he is. This is why he earned a one of a kind t-shirt.

W_K, obviously you've forgotten, but YOU brought up poop threads in your first post, therefore making them relevant to the discussion YOU wanted. Just because it's taken a way you dislike, doesn't make it irrelevant, it just makes your argument horribly flawed.

20. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    If the rules had been consistant, then I wouldn't have a problem. However, as recently as a few months ago I started a non-spoiler thread for S8 and there was no complaints. I asked a mod to add "no spoilers" to the title, and they didn't say anything. The same happened for S7 in the fall and S6 last spring. Every time I asked a mod to make the thread "non-spoiler" the mod happily complied. Not once was I told to allow spoilers. And any time someone wanted a spoiler thread, I happly encouraged them to create their own. If they didn't, I can't help that. 99% of the posters in the Survivor threads want them to be spoiler free (you can see that for yourself if you go through them). I don't think it;s fair that we have to risk being spoiled just so 1% of the posters can post their spoilers.

And as for using the excuse "we don't do it for other TV shows so we won't do it for this one"? Have you ever been approached by as many people as this for a separate thread? If I were a mod (not likely) and I was approached by this many people (including other mods) then ya know what? I'd make an exception. Why? Because it's obvious that the community wants something and since that something won't hurt anyone, I'd have no problem letting them have it.

As for your remark about tradition, I know for a fact that most mods on the JCC don't respect the past, but that is not a good thing. History is not a bad thing, it's something that you should learn from so that you don't repeat mistakes from the past, but you should also learn to embrace things that worked in the past. Non-spoiler threads for Survivro have worked for 4 years and have gotten more popular with each season (S3 had under 150 posts, S8 now has over 1200 posts). If it's so plainly obvious that the previous system was working, why would you want to change it?

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    As for your remark about tradition, I know for a fact that most mods on the JCC don't respect the past, but that is not a good thing.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think some or many moderators may not have extensive knowledge of JCC history, but that's not the same as not having respect for it.

22. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    My experience is different, but I could be wrong.

23. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    "Football, which is infinitely more popular than Survivor, gets one thread and spoilers are allowed. "

How can football have spoilers?

24. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    To be honest, I didn't think think HTR was a straight-up policy per say, it was just the thing that most people in threads wanted/accepted. I never heard of it while I was a mod, at least.

If it is a policy, it's one that I think should be re-thought. If there is a demand for both a spoiler thread and a non-spoiler thread on ANY tv show/movie/book, then I think it should be allowed. The argument against that might be that it'd clutter up the JC with unnecessary threads. However, I think that if a thread is getting enough posts to keep it alive, it is, by definition necessary (or, at least as necessary as any thread on the JC is). I very highly doubt that we would constantly have two Survivor threads on the front page, we might have it occasionally, such as Thursdays, right before the show, and Fridays, right after it, but overall I don't see them clogging up the JC.

While I'm all for consistancy, I think that some things need to be looked on at a case-by-case basis. If the people in the 24 thread don't seem to have a problem with HTR spoilers, that's great. If the ER people want a spoiler thread and a NS thread, let them create both. If both of them thrive, it means they're both needed. If one dies, then it means there wasn't a demand for it.

25. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Exactly. The job of the mods is to make sure that the JCC is a fun place for everyone to get along in. It's not to dictate what we can and can't talk about. You are there to make sure noone is taking away from the enjoyment of others. It's a Community. If part of the community is happy with a non-spoiler thread, you should let them have it as long as it isn't harming anyone else. If another part wants a spoiler thread, they should be able to have it, too. However, by forcing those of us who don't want to be spoiled to post in a spoiler thread, you are not helping the community. You are doing the complete opposite. You are creating a negative place for many posters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.