main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC]Why can't there be 2 Survivor threads?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by wild_karrde, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    He's not the only JCC mod, ya know.

2. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    How am I to know if he's online or not ?

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Wes:
    If http://boards.theforce.net/users_online.asp?alphasort=-_-_-_-_-_- doesn't say "The lights are on, but nobody is home..." then he is online.

I've asked the JCC moderators to review the situation after the current Survivor is done. In my opinion, if this HTR spoiler thread gets dramatically fewer posts than previous threads, then this policy should be re-examined, as it seems to be driving people away from the Survivor thread rather than attracting them. On the other hand, if there is no significant change in the number of posts, I?d say that the thread should remain HTR.

4. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Considering the next Survivor isn't starting until September, I doubt I'll be around for that, let alone S10.

EDIT: Ha! Only took 12 posts before someone posted a spoiler in the new Smallville thread. Considering the first 10 posts were garbage, that's not a very good start.

5. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, one thing is certain. Considering that the mods seem to not care at all what the users think, they deserved PW not caring what they think.

6. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Final post on the subject. I'll just post my reasoning for supporting a single HTR thread.

Fact: A spoiler can be posted in the open in a non-spoiler, spoiler allowed and spoiler HTR thread. It's possible, not that it's allowed.

Fact: It is against the policy to post a spoiler in the open in a non-spoiler and spoiler HTR thread.

Therefore, the same rules apply to a spoiler post in the open in both a non-spoiler and a spoiler HTR thread. Since a spoiler posted out in the open (which if I'm not mistaken is what you're worried about) is handled the same in both types of threads, it makes the most sense to just have the HTR thread since it can accommodate a larger number of users (those who don't wish to be spoiled and those who will read spoilers).

7. MoonTheLoon

MoonTheLoon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Aren't the 2 Smallville threads titled something like, "The OFFICIAL Smallville discussion (no spoilers)" and "Smallville: discussion of spoilers for final episodes of season 3"?

Are we to infer that once the 3rd season is over, the spoiled thread will be closed and the OFFICIAL thread will then be edited to include spoilers in HTR for future episodes od Smallville beyond season 3? I'm sure those in that thread that wish to remain unspoiled are going to love that.

8. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    FACT: When something is posted, HTL'd or not, some people will discuss it.

FACT: w_k posted his thread to discuss the show without ANY spoilers.

And w_k, the offer to use my boards for discussion w/o spoilers still stands.

9. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Both should be locked, I already made a HTR thread.

EDIT: Tobey-Wan - Have you read any of my posts? Judgeing from your replies, I don't think so. As I have said many times, HTR threads encourage people to post spoilers. After a while, people get lazy and stop blacking them out. That is a fact and happens all the time, no matter what you say.

10. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    And someones allready posted a non-HTR'd spoiler, too.

11. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    That was in the TV Guide, so I decided to let it pass.

12. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    hmm, an idea. I could just start a thread in the Amphitheatre for Survivor! eh mods, would that be against some rule you haven't created yet?

13. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Proably would.

14. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    hmm, an idea. I could just start a thread in the Amphitheatre for Survivor! eh mods, would that be against some rule you haven't created yet?

Not to the best of my knowledge. Ask Mastadge.

15. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I'll do just that :)

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Here's a fact for you. This is a Star Wars board. Why should we have any obligation to protect anyone from spoilers relating to stuff other than Star Wars? Honestly if you don't want to be spoiled that badly then don't go into the thread for the show/movie/whatever. Period. But if we had two threads for every single thing that might have spoilers for someone, the YJCC would be unmanageable. So the policy is ONE HTR thread. Period. There is no good reason to make an exception for Survivor.

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I am willing to address all questions and concerns about this subject, but please post them in an orderly fashion. Nor would I have a problem possibly discussing or meeting a compromise in any form so that all parties involved could be satisfied. This issue was voted on by the five JCC mods and the majority voted in favor of a HTR Survivor thread. This morning a user PMed me asking permission to start the Season 9 thread since the season ended last night and I granted him permission to do so. I saw no problem with doing so because all post-Season 8 discussion could be carried over to this new thread. It is also common practice across the JC for old threads to be closed or locked when new ones are created. I am not trying to flex my might or throw my weight around as some like to think, I am merely enforcing a policy that was discussed and voted upon by the JCC mods in the MS. Like I said, I am willing to be reasonable and explain our decision, and even entertain the possibility of a compromise, but the only thing I ask in return is for you to be reasonable as well.

18. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Honestly if you don't want to be spoiled that badly then don't go into the thread for the show/movie/whatever.

What about when a mod takes the thread you created and changes it from no-spoilers to "spoiler HTR," due to a couple of isolated user comments only (it seems, if i'm wrong, feel free to show me :) ) and basing the decision on a policy that apparently didn't exist until yesterday (which is still a day or so after the thread was changed/locked anyway)?

As for your obligations as moderators of a SW board, it's simple. You're obligated to moderate these forums until you quit. That's it. Whatever the policy is you're supposed to enforce, enforce it. If a policy becomes a problem, re-address it and consider changing it (this policy has obviously caused some problems, hasn't it?).

Does anyone realize that the HTR rule essentially means that there will never be a "no spoilers" thread in the JCC again? Ever. Do you guys really think that the entire JCC populace in general will be a fan of this ruling? (hey, anything is possible, but i've got my doubts)

19. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Strilo, get a clue.

The JCC is a community fourm. Many JC users LIKE using the JC whenever possible because their E-Freinds are here. JCC is the place for non-SW talk.

If you think spoilers are ok, then close 3NSa and 3SA and merge them into a 3HL fourm.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    First of all, tone it down. Do not tell anyone to get a clue. That is rude and uncalled for.

Second, I am familiar with the YJCC and how it is run. I am aware that non Star Wars discussion is what it's all about. I am saying that the JC Administration does not have an obligation to prevent spoilers about anything and everything out there. Any action that we take, any policy we make is a COURTESY to our users. I still have been given no reason why an exception to the policy needs to be made for Survivor. Remember, if we make one exception, we open the door to anyone else wanting an exception made.

Third, your comment about merging the STAR WARS spoiler and non spoiler forum is completely separate because this IS a Star Wars site and those forums address Star Wars spoilers.

21. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Strilo, get a clue.

No need for that.

22. amaunet

amaunet Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    This morning a user PMed me asking permission to start the Season 9 thread since the season ended last night and I granted him permission to do so. I saw no problem with doing so because all post-Season 8 discussion could be carried over to this new thread. It is also common practice across the JC for old threads to be closed or locked when new ones are created. I am not trying to flex my might or throw my weight around as some like to think, I am merely enforcing a policy that was discussed and voted upon by the JCC mods in the MS

Sorry to jump in here (considering I have been lurking in this thread to see what else is being changed at mods will)...but your action appears to me to be condoning one thing: encouraging off topic posts within a thread. Yes each is a different season of the same show, but yet each is its own show, in its own right. It is easy to lump all seasons of a sitcom or drama into one thread, because they are all the same character wise. However with reality shows, each season is its own show. The people change and the location/challenges change each time. If you feel different about this, then what you need to do is create ONE thread for ALL survivor seasons. But then to be fair (oh wait...who said these boards were fair) you need to make all shows into one thread per show.

I understand, as most do that this is a Star Wars forum...but the powers that were decided a long time ago that there should be a place for off-star-wars-topic discussions, and rightly created a place for them. I fail to see how allowing one group (who happen to have interests outside of star wars, like most)have a thread where they get to talk about their interests without someone spoiling it for them? Does the creation of a thread that allows them to do this give them more power, or take away from the general Star Wars atmosphere of this place? no...well no more so than topics on poo, other shows, movies, "who do you think is cuter", "rate this person", "my horrible day", etc. does.

What I take away from this discussion: 1) a further belief that some mods are overly power hungry 2)some mods need to lighen up 3) some mods need to step back and see that there are other topics that should not get threads and deserve to be locked more so than this...and 4) YJCC is not a user friendly board.

23. urgent_jedi_picnic

Jan 14, 2003
    I still have been given no reason why an exception to the policy needs to be made for Survivor. Remember, if we make one exception, we open the door to anyone else wanting an exception made.

Yet the "policy" was enforced on one thread only. Smallville has 2 seperate threads. The non-spoiler thread hasn't been altered into an HTR yet. Why? Last page, it was said by Dashy that the HTR policy goes into effect from today (5/17/04) on out. So, shouldn't that thread have been left as non-spoiler? The only thread it was retroactively applied to was Survivor 8. And of course, that thread is locked now (literally a day after this discussion began), because somebody got zealous I guess, and felt the need for the Survivor 9 thread to start 4 months before the show will ever air (and literally a day or so after 8 ended).

We don't "need" a new Smallville thread yet? It ends next week. If somebody starts the new season thread the following Thursday, the old non-spoiler thread will be locked and cease to be, correct? No reason would exist to disallow the new thread. If you'll let the Survivor 9 thread start 4 months in advance, surely Smallville is fair game in that capacity as well, right? Also, do you think the occupants of the Smallville non-spoiler thread (which is now doomed) will be any happier about this ruling than the Survivor folks?

Cite policy all you want, but please tell me you understand why people are pissed about this. Saying something along the lines of "tough, deal with it" is never ever going to improve the situation (and it's not so much the definitive action, as the way it is handled and presented).

Again, I point out: We're talking about the end of non-spoiler threads in their entirety in the JCC here.

Announce the HTR policy, clearly (so that people understand non-spoiler threads are a thing of the past), at the top of the YJCC forum, and put it open to discussion/feedback. We'll find out really quick if this is a big deal or not.

EDIT: This means that the Amazing Race 5 & Batman Begins non-spoiler threads are equally doomed, right?

24. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I was against having a HTR thread, but now that the JCC moderators have decided that?s what we?re going to have, that?s our policy for the next little while. I think that we should let this policy run, and give it a chance to prove itself before automatically dismissing it. You should be no more likely to be spoiled in a HTR thread than in a NS thread, assuming that moderators pay equal attention to both types.

In any case, I also believe that this policy should be reviewed in a few months, so we can see where we are. If HTR threads are not comparatively as popular as NS, then I think that maybe we should decide whether or not to bring back NS threads or to make two separate threads.

25. urgent_jedi_picnic

Jan 14, 2003
    Make sure to post the HTR policy clearly where all YJCC goers can see it please. It should probably go as an update to the sticky thread.

Make sure that when you post it, it is clear that there will be no more non-spoiler threads allowed in the YJCC.

EDIT: And you're wrong. You are more likely to get spoiled in an HTR thread than a non-spoiler thread. HTR threads invite spoilers. Thus the odds increase, period. Now, not only are you dealing with the people that make a mistake and post a spoiler without highlights (maybe they're new, or maybe they do it to troll), but now you've got people making errors with their mark-up codes and the chance increases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.