main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Jean Chretien = Emperor from ROTJ

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by prof_frink, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    Think about it - someone who has been in politics forever, has been in power for a long time - eliminating those around him that don't support him and fully believing he is invicible - like Luke said 'your overconfidence is your weakness'

Or 'Absolute Power corrupts absolutely' ...

where was that from again? I can't remember -was it Macbeth?

2. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Actually it was a vodka ad. "Absolut Vodka, Corrupts Absolutely."

ROFLMAO

3. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    You what's even funnier - if you are actually ROTLYAO after typing that...

In a Jawa outfit no less...

4. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I always figured Jean for the old dude in the purple robe that kept bowing to Palpatine on the second Death Star...It was his complexion....yeah...that`s right....

5. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    At this point in time, he's more like Valorum. Read that there is talk of a vote of non-confidence in his ability to govern. There's always talk of that, noones actually voted on it.

I'm just worried this will make room for the Alliance or PC to get into power. We'd be much worse of, regardless of ones political views. I haven't followed this closely but that is what I fret.

I spoke with Chretien a few days ago, after we got back from the trip and he seemed he good spirits. Personally, I think the other members of Parliament are jealous that they didn't go back in time.

I could use this to my advantage...the hamster wheels begin to turn.

6. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    /walks away slowly from Adam...

7. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Source of the quote...
    Lord Acton, in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887. 'Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men'.

8. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    Wrong, wrong, wrong - Mr. Angelini said this to Jack when he was trying to buy his own bistro...

C'mon... Lord Acton, in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887, what do you take me for...

I kid, I kid... I always thought it was literary, and not and actual 'real life' event...

9. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Is it that absolute power corrupts absolutely, or that absolute power tends to attract those who are easily corrupted?

?[face_plain]

Something to think about...

Indy

10. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

Is it power that corrupts or is it inherent in the individual to be corrupt. The question rests in the true nature of man or woman kind. Afterall, guns don't kill people..people kill people right?

11. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    ...man or woman kind...

Oh come on...just say "mankind" dammit! I hate this pc crap! (No offense to you...that just sorta riled me up)

12. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

Well personally, i am not a proponent for the pc crap either but i am also not in the mood for nasty responses to a "sexist" remark so i play it safe with the p/c stuff. sorry. i just don't like being bothered by feminists who need to hear womankind to be happy

13. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    ...pffft...feminists....go fig...

14. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    Personal Opinion:

I think absolute (ok well maybe not absolute technically but you get the idea, absolute as in lots of,) power will corrupt even the most noble person. All people have a bit of selfishness/greed in them, to think otherwise is a bit naive. Not to say that anyone/everyone is rotten deep down but rather the contrary. I actually think all people are essentially good and kind, but when people are elevated above others, it's only natural to start thinking you actually are above everyone else, you can imagine where this leads. Just my humble opinion, feel free to argue/curse out/ignore/trash :)

End of Seriousness :)

BTW, you guys crack me up, womankind, p/c crap, etc., ha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.