Jedi Academy: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by OnlyOneKenobi, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yea, from that droid in Kyle's fathers place.
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>I wonder what kind of game mechanics you could have based on his ability to read memories off of objects. <<

How about like the visor scanner in Metroid Prime?
  3. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd rather they make a game with the JO engine but for one of the 5 films, or something set around then. I'd love to be able to play as Anakin or Mace in a game that doesn't suck.
  4. Rebel_Loyaltist Force Ghost

star 2
    I would be good if the story was about a conflict between Tavion and Kyle. We never now what happened to her.
  5. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    It would be nothing short of awesome to play as Rahn in the next game, during the Clone Wars. Pull a Lucas and find out how Rahn met Morgan Katarn, and perhaps find out a little more about the Valley of the Jedi... ;)

As for the question about Morgan Katarn being a Jedi, he was Force attuned but never trained. Rahn entrusted his lightsaber to Morgan, knowing that Kyle would become a great Jedi, so that Kyle could take over from protecting the Valley of the Jedi once Rahn's time was up. So the lightsaber that Weegee holds in Jedi Knight is actually Rahn's old one, not Morgan's.
  6. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hawk, thanks for explaining that to these yokels! :)

:D

And you call yourselves fans!
  7. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > As for the question about Morgan Katarn being a Jedi, he was Force attuned but never trained.

As far as we know... ;)

LucasArts have a habit of revisionist re-writing to suit their games.

I'm just saying it's possible that we don't know all there is to know about Morgan's past. After all Kyle "gave up" and "forgot" how to use the force.

I wouldn't be surprised if (for the sake of a possible Clone Wars JO prequel) Morgan was a Jedi warrior in the Clone Wars, but for some reason this was hidden from Kyle, hidden from the records, etc...
  8. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I dont want it prequel. There's enough in that era anyway, let's keep something in the post ROTJ era.

What I would do is have Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Next name I is to have it a few years later, with Kyle, STILL A JEDI, in some sortof new position, where he and Jan go round kicking rear in the normal way. Simple :)

And as for the NJO, I think they should be used, but as an expansion pack.
  9. pat-fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It would be nothing short of awesome to play as Rahn in the next game, during the Clone Wars. Pull a Lucas and find out how Rahn met Morgan Katarn, and perhaps find out a little more about the Valley of the Jedi...

I love it. Also JP makes a compeling argument. Makes a good reason to make a clone war game with the JO engine and still hold true to the Katarn storyline. Maybe get a glimps of pre-dark jedi Jerec.
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The more I think about it, the more the Quinlan Vos idea seems better for a clone wars era game like this. His setting up an underground spy network to keep tabs on the Seperatists has him having to go through the underworlds and get his hands dirty- and to keep his cover, has to use blasters still- so you still get the shooter aspect of the series. But he still has his lightsaber and force powers. His ability to "read" information off of objects would add an interesting level to things ala the Metroid Prime visor scanner.

Mainly because I don't see Rahn doing anything along those lines, and the Morgan idea would seem to be a bit of a stretch.

Although... here's another idea- what if you started the game as a lightside Jedi named Jerec, and followed his adventures during the Clone Wars...slowly following his journey to the darkside, as well as the events surrounding him losing his sight. An expansion pack could come out after Episode 3 and follow him assisting in the Jedi Purge, gaining the favor of Palpatine, and learning the ways of the Sith.

Call it Dark Jedi Knight or Sith Knight.
  11. OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Interesting thoughts on the Clone wars era... especially the Rahn \ Jerec ones. It sort of mirrors the Skywalker saga, I think it would be a bit much if the player took on the role of Morgan Katarn... only one Jedi of the prequel era had children. That was Anakin Skywalker. Playing as Rahn or Jerec would be cool... and following Jerec's tale as he became a Dark Jedi and assisted in the Jedi purge. That would certainly give you lots of lightsaber weilding enemies to take out - this seems to be a problem with the games - how to fit in lots of lightsaber duels, but having to explain why there are so many enemies, when there was that rule Yoda talked about only 2 sith at a time. Playing as the bad guy gives you the chance to fight numerous duels.
  12. bliv Jedi Knight

star 3
    One thing you can be sure of is that this is an expansion pack if it's on the quake 3 engine. There is little room to go adding in all new features that would make the game a sequel when you are using the same established engine.

I don't see this being a post ROTJ game either. I'd like a Clone Wars game but lightsaber battles in any new single player mode is very unlikely for that time setting unless 'clones' extend further and a dark jedi of sorts but I don't really like that idea.

What is a possibility is a KOTOR setting where there are as many light as there are dark Jedi, which would make for more lightsaber fun.

Hopefully a proper sequel will appear on the new Q4 engine.
  13. OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    If a sequel is to be released within the next year, it's unlikely that it will be based on the Quake 4 ( Doom 3 ) engine, as it would require users to have uber-PC's... plus the Doom 3 engine at the moment is already so hardware intensive, imagine what a beast would be if you recreate a Jedi-Knight game with its huge areas based on it.
  14. obi-wankenobiben Jedi Knight

star 3
    It wasn't Morgan's lightsaber, But Rahn's lightsaber that Kyle got.I hope there is a Jedi Knight 3 and please Lucas let it be on PC! Has there been anything offical anounced about JK3?
  15. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The sequel should be called Dark 4ces. :D
  16. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    [face_plain]

:p

// wishes I'd thought of that pun ///>
  17. obi-wankenobiben Jedi Knight

star 3
    So when is the Expansion Pack going to come out? I saw some one here in this fourm or maybe another who says it should be called Star Wars:Jedi Master.I think it is a good idea that Kyle ends up being a Jedi Master.
  18. Obi_one_and_only Force Ghost

star 5
  19. Sithman Chosen One

star 7
    "Why does no-one ever play the "other" JO MP games?

Free For All (FFA), Holocron FFA, Duel, Jedi Master, Team FFA, Capture the Flag and Capture the Ysalamiri
    "

Yah, yah, jp, I know. But have you ever played a game like RTCW? Stormed the beaches with other gamers covering you, running next to you, etc? That is like no other. It's amazing, and MUCH different than Capture the Flag for the billionth time, or Capture the Ysalamiri, or Holocron, which are all just variants off of FFA.

And the thing I don't get, is that Star Wars is so rich with TeamFFA possibilities. Even just staying inside the Classic Trilogy movie realm, you've got the Imperial stormiing of the blockade runner Tantive IV from the beginning of ANH, the snowtroopers storming the Rebel base on Hoth, Bespin security guards vs. invading Imperial forces, and the ground battle of Endor.

Heck, move on to EU, move on to TPM and AOTC, but geez, Team-Based FFA is awesome, and it would make gaming with Star Wars games sooo much cooler.
  20. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  21. Sithman Chosen One

star 7
    Nah, it was way on Page 2, but I had to respond to it, dunno. Sorry for interrupting, heh. :-\
  22. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  23. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yah, yah, jp, I know. But have you ever played a game like RTCW? Stormed the beaches with other gamers covering you, running next to you, etc? That is like no other. It's amazing, and MUCH different than Capture the Flag for the billionth time, or Capture the Ysalamiri, or Holocron, which are all just variants off of FFA.

Maybe this TC (Rebel operations) or maybe this other TC (non JO "UT2003 Troopers") will be the answer to our prayers?
  24. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
  25. Vezner Force Ghost

star 5
    I've been gone for a while (not that many of you probably remember me) ;) but when I went to jediknightii.net and saw the news about Jedi Knight 3 I dang near wet myself and I just had to come back and share my enthusiasm with the JCers. I love Jedi Outcast and having a sequal is going to be totally AWESOME!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.