main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Academy: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by OnlyOneKenobi, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    How does the Xbox version handle, both in single and multi-player? I have a hard time imagining how you can properly duel with them thumbsticks. Or without an extended keyboard to map weapons and Force-powers.

2. Ben-GaSovan

Ben-GaSovan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2003
    The X-box version is super sick. i've been playing online for about a month now, and I can't get enough of it.

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Just beat it on Xbox (only took a couple weeks, including 1 week away, and working the other week). Was only o "Jedi" mode, but it was my first time playing it.

Went to start a 2nd game, with a different Jaden, but it just didn't feel right. I had to go back to the same guy I had designed before :p

4. WinchKafor

WinchKafor Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2002
    Is this only Xbox or is this PC as well.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    PC and X-Box

6. WinchKafor

Nov 1, 2002
    Oh good I havet the PC version. I play online as [Y30]Winch[SG]***

7. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    The Xbox version was a bit easy compared to Jedi Outcast. Knights of the Old Republic is still the greatest SW game on the Xbox. The online play of Academy is cool though.

8. WinchKafor

Nov 1, 2002
    I have not played Knight of the Old Replublic how is it.

9. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Knights of the Old Republic is a must buy for the Xbox. It's the most value for money game (including Halo) that I have bought for the machine.

You are literally playing the SW Universe and your choices make a hell of a difference. You can play the game all the way through being good and then start a new one being the baddest person in the universe.

Award winning and if you bought it now, you would finish it in time for HALO 2.

10. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but over at IMDB.Com, it says that Mark Hamill provided the voice for Luke Skywalker in Jedi Acadamey. Does anyone know if it's true or not? I know IMDB.com can be fairly unreliable, but it is right on occasions, but unfortunately I don't have the manual on me to check, so does anybody know if it's true or not? I would have thought that if Mark had done the voice, it would have been better advertised, like it was with Billy Dee Williams in Jedi Outcast, so is this just a mistake? Thanks, by the way. :D

11. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    I don't have the manual with me right now but I'm pretty sure it was him and saw that in the manual. I heard he was going to do the voice on Jedi Outcast but had scheduling conflicts. I was a little surprised too but I doubt Hammill wanted them to make too big a fuss about it. I'm sure someone here knows more of the story.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    According to the JA PC credits, Luke Skywalker's voice was provided by Bob Bergin.

13. Master-Korr

Master-Korr Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2004
    speaking of voice talent in the game, the male jaden is great. particularly on the dark side.

14. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well, that's the peculiar thing, Darth McClain, as over at IMDB, it lists both Bob Bergin and Mark Hamill as the voice of Luke Skywalker. So, is there a voice clip from the classic trilogy played during the game at some point? Or is it just a geniune mistake? Thanks again, everybody. :D

15. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    It's just Bob Bergin, the same guy who did Luke's voice in Jedi Outcast. Mark Hamill didn't do voices for Academy...

16. SithMasterTasz

SithMasterTasz Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2004
    I really hope they do make another "Jedi Academy" game. It also would be cool if they would make more "Jedi power battle" games, I really liked the first one and would buy any others that came out.

17. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I might be wrong, but the IMDB has a goofy way of associating people with things. For instance, if you play a character in something (movie for instance), you are forever associated with the character according to them. So if that particular character shows up in something else, the (actor/actress) name is automatically linked no matter what (probably for the website's conveniance).

From my experience, it't not Mark Hamill in the game.

18. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    So, I finished the X-Box version (blonde human guy, light side, dual sabers) and am currently playing through again with one of the male aliens (can't remember what he's called... the fellow with the built-in breath mask) with a purple saber staff and the intention of choosing to go to the Dark Side.

I think they did a hell of a good job on this game. A lot of folks didn't seem to like the fact that you could choose your missions in whatever order you wanted to, but I thought that as an Academy trainee it was completely appropriate. Plus, there was a basic order to the game, and you progressed logically through the story IMHO.

The level design on this one is fantastic, and I can only imagine what they'll do for the next one if they move on to a more modern game engine. More randomly "destroyable" environments would be cool, as sometimes it feels like you're not really holding a lightsaber if you can hack at a tree and not eventually chop the thing down.

The saber moves are better than ever, and I'm really digging the moves you can do with the staff. Very Maul-ish indeed.

Only a few things I'd change. First off, include a full dismemberment option for the console versions. Second (and more importantly), if the next game allows you to custom-design your character, at least apply filters to the main character voiceover material so that if you play as an alien you don't have the same voice you have as a human. I understand that recording three of each main character line would run into some money for the design company, but if they only want to pay for one read-through per sex of the main character script, they ought to at least go and apply some effects to the recording to make each alien race sound a little different from the others.

But that's a fairly minor gripe too. I dig the hell out of JA, and can already see a lot of replay value to it, even though I am not hooked up to XBox Live. Looking forward to the next one.

19. MasterAero

Aug 23, 2002
    Bug/Am I lucky??? I went through the game (XBOX) on JEDI as a human male. I chose the staff lightsaber when the time came and beat the game as a light and dark jedi. So I decide to start again with a new character, female twilek, on Jedi Master difficulty. I chose a basic lightsaber but when i start the game I have the staff along with being able to do all the staff attacks/combos. My force powers are all at the initial level.
    IS this supposed to happen? I tried it again with a different character and i didn't have the staff. Maybe they just gave it to me cause I kicked so much butt the first time.

20. AzraelHorn

AzraelHorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    I tried JA for both the PC and the X-Box. I ended up buying the X-Box version. Perhaps it is just because I've gotten used to using a controller now, but I actually liked the X-Box version better. i felt like I had better control of what I was doing. Then again, like I said, perhaps it's just that I've gotten used to being a console gamer.

21. Jedi_Padawan_Trex

Jedi_Padawan_Trex Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2004
    General question for the people who know about Jedi Academy: Can anyone tell me what type of ship that the player takes at the beginning. You know, the shuttle that ferries the Jedi students to Yavin Four. One like it is also used to transport Jaden to Benjeel(the planet with the sand creatures on it).

22. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I thought it looked kinda like the old Storm Trooper Transports form the Xwing Games.

I loved Jedi Academy. I'm not into the Multiplayer much though my son and I play the Capture the flag game together against bots often.

The only gripe I could have is not being able to change your saber style earlier in the game. The duel sabers or staff saber was a bit upgrade I think but I was a bit disappointed that you couldn't switch to those until you were half way through the game.
    Also when choosing 2 sabers I thought when dropping back to one saber I would still be able to switch between fast and medium fighting styles but only 2 sabers or fast single saber are an option once you switch. (minor issue really. Just go with 2 all the time then).

Jedi Outcast was an outstanding game. I agree that JA is more of an Expansion since it's so Similar. Much like MOTS was to Jedi knight 1. But still it was a very fun game with a fun story.

I really like the options to create your character too. I found that to be the best thing about this. Now where I love KOTOR more than this game I Thought the options to create your Characters look in JA were more impressive due to a wider range of customizable options. :)

23. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I finally got around to beating the single player game, and I have to say this game had some of the worst writing and plotting that I've ever seen. Absolutely pathetic compared to the previous entries in the series.

In the final boss battle (I chose light side, btw, in what was one of the more hilariously cheesy moments in the game) I decided that if my foe was going to be a staff whore, I would just be a lightning whore and hide when the staff was in use, and that made things rather easy. After she was possessed by the ghost (another moment of hilarious cheesiness) I decided I would fight with sabers, which was surprisingly easy compared to some of the previous fights.

Anyway, just as with multiplayer, the single player was pretty fun overall, but definitely not on the same level as JK2.

24. MasterAero

Aug 23, 2002
    I agree with Jeff 42 completely. Wait til you go thru as a dark jedi...lots of cheese, cheddar. I still loved the game though.

Can someone direct me to where people on here are organizing Jedi Academy XBOX Live games...is that somewhere in this thread or another one?

25. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Is there any word of a Gamecube release? :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.