Jedi Academy: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by OnlyOneKenobi, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "noobish saber-only FFAs by the screenshots with like six people with lightsabers on the screen. :\"

Hey, now, there are some people who are genuinely *good* with the saber, we can't call them all noobs, now.
    But yes, for the most part it's just a royal rumble with lightsabers. :(

Oh, and on the subject of the disruptor... I agree. :D (though I'd rather have Team-Based and Co-Op MP over any specific weapons returning).
  2. kowikan_monkey Jedi Knight

star 2
    disruptor, rocket launcher, bryar psitol....
  3. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I didn't say that all saberists are noobs. But saber-only FFAs usually are pretty noobish, from my (admittedly limited) experience.
  4. bliv Jedi Knight

star 3
    It would be nice to see them expand on multiplayer with new game modes. The ever talked about Saga/Team Objective game is a must. Another idea would be Hold the ATST or something like that. Where one ATST spawns on a map and the idea is for each team to capture and control/use it for as long as possible until it is destroyed and the other team takes control.
  5. obi-wankenobiben Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey is Kyle kartarn even in this game? He was not in even one screenshot!
  6. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    If you read the article that was posted yesterday (linked by me a few posts before the screenshots) it reveals the involvement of Kyle in this game.

7. portman_is_so_fine Force Ghost

star 4
    When does this come out, or do we know yet?
  8. Vezner Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey Dan, thanks for the screenies. I have been looking for some. They look nice. Anyway long time no see. You still playing BF1942? That game has really taken off since they released the 1.31 patch. 11,000 players online even as I type this.

Anyway, I also want to mention that many of us had the reaction of "This is a dream come true" when JO came out. Will we be having that same reaction, as Star Wars fans, when JK3 comes out? I think so.

Oh, and as far as sabers go, I love em. That's all that I usually use when I play and I think that I am pretty good. IMO if you can use a saber against people with guns and manage to show them who their "daddy" is, you have skills. That's IMHO. I personally think that people who only use guns are "noobs" because they are too afraid to take out the saber and gain any skills with that "elegant weapon". It's not usually too hard to just point and click with a gun.

*puts on flame proof suit and awaits the inevitable flame war* :D
  9. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey Vez. I haven't played BF1942 regularly in about a month, but I've watched my brother play it a few times - it looks much improved. And Desert Combat looks really cool too. I'm thinking about playing it more, once I get done with Zelda.

And for the folks looking for answers, read the article summary first. It answers a lot of basic stuff. Right here.
  10. Vezner Force Ghost

star 5
    Right now I have two games that I play religiously:
    BF1942 and Generals.

Since I heard about JK3 I have suddenly started to crave JO. I never did uninstall it but I just haven't pulled that saber out for a while. Time to dust it off and refine my skills. Are there still a lot of people playing it?
  11. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    Enough to find a good game. I haven't played it seriously in a couple of months either.
  12. DUM-4 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I haven't played BF:1942 in a while either. Blame it on Dan for pointing out that RS3 was out. :p
  13. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    So, Uhh. What are the chances this thing is an AF joke? The screenies are pretty smal, and could be photoshop jobs with Galaxies screenshots being spliced in.

I want to believe it's true, of course, and we knew a sequel was coming.

But would LEC put this out at the same time they'll be trying to market KOTOR & Galaxies?

My suspicions are raised, just slightly...

And what's this, on that Gaming Mag site that broke the news?
  14. Chandler Jedi Padawan

Sithman
    Yah, yah, jp, I know. But have you ever played a game like RTCW? Stormed the beaches with other gamers covering you, running next to you, etc? That is like no other. It's amazing, and MUCH different than Capture the Flag for the billionth time, or Capture the Ysalamiri, or Holocron, which are all just variants off of FFA.

jp-30
    Maybe this TC (Rebel operations) or maybe this other TC (non JO "UT2003 Troopers") will be the answer to our prayers?

Yes! This is exactly what we're trying to do; have a small group of commandoes work together to take on a ridiculous number of enemies. If you're interested, you should drop by our forums ;).
  15. DarthBane93 Force Ghost

star 4
    If this is true....AWESOME!

I love the Jedi Knight Series...should keep on going!

But something in me tells me this is false. Those screenshots just look like a mod or something.

Hard to believe JKIII is 60% done and Lucasarts hasnt mentioned it.
  16. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    JP... :(

The date on the link you posted scares me. :( Could this be an elaborate April Fools' joke? :(
  17. kowikan_monkey Jedi Knight

star 2
    There is another thread in the Lit. forum...with MUCH bigger screenshots. The bigger ones look real, IMO
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'm 80% "it's real" / 20% "It's a hoax"

As far as screenies go - they look too "good" to be scanned from the magazine. Normally yo uget distortion where that magazine doesn't sit flat on a scanner. But that could have been chopped out - there are captions that do look genuine.

The quality of the images is inconclusive. Anyway, mag publishers would have good enough graphic designers to fake those shots using JO, KOTOR movies / exclusive screenies / Galaxies Beta screenies.

If they are genuinely scanned from the magazine, then that helps the "it's true" link of thinking, as the magazine's out for a month, and the readers would be mighty annoyed finding out the truth a month later.

The other things on the cover are suspect though. Whoever would refer to IJ & the Emperor's Tomb as "IJ6"?

Strange.

I guess we'll all know in a day or two.

Or maybe one of our Games Staffmembers could contact LEC / Raven for a comment?

19. the_chosen_two Jedi Knight

star 3
    We got a link from the official thread :cool:

From my earlier post at the locked Jedi Knight 3 thread, I have totally changed my mind based from the pics and news bits.
    Anynews for a console version as Im not fond of PC games.

Please stop talking about fakes, you keep making me believe its a hoax. :(
  20. obi-wankenobiben Jedi Knight

star 3
    This game will suck! It does not deserve the title of JKIII.I loved JK2 more than anyone and i wanted a sequel,But you can't play as Kyle(which you have done for the whole JK series)That is just too far! I think this game is just trying to copy KOTOR which will be out on PC this fall.Double lightsaber,lightsaber in each hand(sound fimliar?)Because it is from KOTOR!
    I can't calm down because i am so mad at this game.Is Kyle even in this game period?
    I think they should call this a different name because no Kyle no JK.I hope that info was fake and you can play as Kyle.
  21. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    Welllllll, if the link you posted is really from the magazine, then it is obviously an April's Fool joke. Although I think it's somewhat strange that a magazine that will be on the shelves for a month will make a cover story joke.

Who's the greater fool? The fool or the fool who goes to great lengths to make the other a fool?

Bah, this is fake. Now that's an unreal engine...

EDIT: I saw the cover now, complete with release date of the mag - april 2nd if you're not subscribed. So they pull an April Fool's joke with just the subscribers... so this MUST be real if they do not want to look silly as hell... [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I mean, JK 3 would be cool, but this surely isn't it.
  22. Oissan Force Ghost

star 6
    It's no joke. As one of their reporters said:
    "We don't sent some of our reporters to America for one week just for a joke"

That is a secret page which you can get access to on April 1st. The side won't be a joke either, just some more information.

It's their main story, seven pages long, that would be a bit much for a joke ;)

They already have a april fools joke in the issue, a flatscreen using water instead of electricity.
    Or something like that :D
  23. bliv Jedi Knight

star 3
    The evidence to support this being a real game is too good for this to be a hoax.

The cover of the issue has Jedi Knight 3 in large letters.

A 7 page feature.

Someone also asked on Raven's own boards if this was true and the reponse from one of their people was yes it is. The game is in the works.
  24. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    "We don't sent some of our reporters to America for one week just for a joke"

Let's see. Someone who is accused of not being all that honest with us says he sent reporters to America to obtain the information in question. Can you believe THAT information as long as you already doubt the first thing they said?

Or, to state it clearly, did they really send their reporters to America for one week?

:D

Ok, great if the game is really being developed, but you have to admit that if you play a joke on somebody you have to make it look real. Raven saying it's true is proof, but the conspiracy theorist might still say that they simply jump on the train because they think it's funny, too. Like when Radiohead 'was about to' release their single "Parrot's Nest", but I'm deviating...

Yay... another Jedi Knight game. Hope they'll give us definite proof on some other date than april 1st...
  25. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am very cautious about this being an April Fools Day Prank, but I hope it is not. I have a sinking feeling however.

Or maybe one of our Games Staffmembers could contact LEC / Raven for a comment?

If I e-mailed LA asking if this was a prank lets look at it this way:

1) It is, but they won't tell me that because it will simply ruin the joke! Theyll probably just ignore my email.

2) It isn't, they say it isn't and I've wasted their time and mine trying to debunk somehting that will be confirmed or denied tommorrow.

Either way, my email probably wouldn't get read until tommorow, it's mid afternoon.

¤Night
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.