main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Academy: Shadows of the Empire Mod

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, I've been on a SotE kick for a while, reading the book & comics, borrowing the soundtrack CD.

I've decided that it would be a nice idea to make a Shadows of the Empire mod for Jedi Academy. So being a proactive sort of guy, I'm gonna do it. Slowly.

What I propose is a mod that more or less follows the SOTE game, but possibly expands in some places with the storylines from the Comic and Book. It would still follow Dash Rendar, but perhaps could flick over to Luke, Leia or Chewie for certain scenes if necessary.

Perhaps, with permission, the Hoth Siege map Emon is working on could be converted into 2 (or more) SP levels, a snowspeeder / outside one (without tow cables!) and an indoors Echo Base one. Other vehicle levels would be the swoop chase on tatooine, and the trains leading into the scrapyards.

The space flight levels could be replaced with expanded Ground missions, or just shown in cutscenes to make the story flow.

Here's something I whipped up quickly to whet your appetite;

[image=http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/sote-jo-loadingscreen.jpg]

I'll try and get a basic website up sometime before next week to begin to co-ordinate the mod (but I have other projects to work on that take priority - the DF mod for one, plus some model skinning) so don't expect to see much progress in the short term.

2. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Consider my appetite well and truely whetted! :D

Ahh hell, now I can't wait for the game even worse than before. :(

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Shadows of the Empire Mod "checklist"

Characters

Rebels

Dash Rendar
    Leia
    Leia (Boushh)
    Chewbacca
    Chewbacca (Snoova)
    Lando Calrissian
    Luke Skywalker
    Han Solo (in carbonite)*
    Leebo
    R2-D2*
    C-3PO*

Imperials
    Emperor*
    Darth Vader*
    Emperor?s Royal Guards*
    Officers
    Stormtroopers
    Probe Droids

Black Sun / Other
    Prince Xizor
    Guri
    IG-88
    Gladiator Droid
    Boba Fett
    Coruscant Guards
    Jabba etc*

Locations
    Echo Base, Hoth
    Mos Eisley / Beggar's Canyon, Tatooine
    Scrapyards, Ord Mantell
    Gall Spaceport
    Suprosa (Imperial Freighter)
    Sewers, Xizor's Palace, Coruscant
    Skyhook Battle*

Vehicles
    Swoops
    Outrider
    Milennium Falcon
    Trains
    Jetpack
    AT-AT
    AT-ST
    X-Wing*
    Tie Fighters*
    Black Sun fighters*
    Star Destroyers*

* Probably for cutscenes only

I will utilise existing models and maps as much as possible (where permission is given), and try and concentrate on the story and mission structures.

Where existing models are not up to standard (eg. Xizor), I will try and make ones from scratch or recruit others who may wish to help.

My strategy will be to work on one level at a time, finishing and releasing before moving on to the next level. The levels will be released as they're finished, and in "correct order". At the end of the project they will also be released in a bundle.

My first task is to contact model authors (Rendar, Boushh, Fett, Solo, Chewie, etc) and ask permission to use them in the mod.

4. WildCard

WildCard Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2001
    Looks good, hopefully when the game is released you will have a larger grasp on which models need to be made :)

Also, the levels could come first and just have the models replaced later.

and the train battle would be neat ;) might be hard to do ;) ;) ;)

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You might find the TF.N Timeline SOTE Index a useful reference for planning out the order and events of levels:

http://theforce.net/timeline/SOTE.shtml

It breaks down, by page #, how the storylines from the novel, comic and video game overlap.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Cool. Thanks. :D

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Who knows, there could be Space Battles in the SotE mod after all. :eek: It would require someone figuring out how to use the MP code for SP missions of course...

This magazine scan looks all the world like the seige mode HUD from JA.

[image=http://www.metralla.net/naves.jpg]

(compare Radar and clock HUD to this)

[image=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/screenshots_library/dir_211/vortal_pic_105998.jpg]

Unconfirmed as yet, but amazing if it comes through! :D

This screenshot & discussion was posted at the jediknightii.net JA forum.

8. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Sounds ambitous.(SP?) I like it. If it turns out as good as the current JO mod for Dark Forces looks to be going you have a sure fire hit. I'll support however I can. Though that is limited to time and skills. I have every part of the Shadows's line minus toys and trading cards. Another cool thing with this is after you make the mod you could go on to make an orignal expanison with Shadows of the Empire:Evolution playing as Guri or maybe a few levels for Shadow Stalker, a one-shot comic with Vader's henchman from Shadows.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Is it possible that X-Wing screenshot is actually from SWG's space expansion?

I recall there was sharing of certain elements between SWG, KOTOR and JA- like Rancors, and possibly Dantooine- perhaps the HUD design was also one such element?

10. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Sounds like a great idea! I would help, but I don't know the first thing about modding :(

11. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Cool. :D

*ahem* Maybe Xizor could be a playable character too. *ahem* :p (Well, in fact, he's quite a master of martial arts, so something along the lines of the kung fu mod for Max Payne would be possible - and anyway there's several acrobatic moves already programmed in JA if I'm not mistake.) On the other hand, I don't know exactly where it could fit in the story. ;)

I'd done a Xizor skin for JO, but I'm afraid it's not quite good enough for the Dark Prince.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>On the other hand, I don't know exactly where it could fit in the story.<<

Wasn't there a scene in the book where some kind of thug tried to take down Xizor and he lays the smack down?

13. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yeah, and that's about it. And the guy's supposed to be a wimp... Talk about an exciting level. :p

14. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    I assume you've talked to Hapslash about the models? (Is he on the DF team?) Anyway he appears to have tons in development.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I have, and he is.

Haven't heard back as yet.

:)

16. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Sounds cool JP. Hope you don't neglect your children though.

lol

17. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    You Know, its times like These that make me wish my Computer could handle ANY Games. :(

18. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I've been doing some reading about JA as well as looking at some screens. This game is perfect for a Shadows mod. To start with the hoth level actualy has you inside Echo base and the graveyard of BOH. The second thing is there are jet pack troops,not to mention Boba Fett, that would take care of Dash's jet pack. Finally you have the swoop level that is almost perfect to change to Begger's Canyon. It even uses the same music. All you'd need to do is narrow the path. The only thing that'd be a challenge is space combat and the second part of the battle with Boba Fett when he's in Slave 1.

19. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Nice one JP, sounds like an excellent idea :D

Now, don't think I'm bringing things down at all, but... Will you be able to 'legally' make all those levels?
    We all know there are quite a few SP levels for Outcast, but I seem to recall a lot of people saying the more advenced things they wanted couldn't be done because Raven wouldn't release the source code for SP. Could this problem run as far as Swoops and Jetpacks in JA? I freely admit I know nothing about coding, so I could be worrying you over nothing.

I'm not knocking the project at all. I love SotE, and I'd love to play an 'updated' version of the game. I only hope it can be done, that's all ;)

B.
    {||||| ?||} -----------------------------

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > but I seem to recall a lot of people saying the more advenced things they wanted couldn't be done because Raven wouldn't release the source code for SP.

That's the beauty of using the JA engine. It already supports jetpacks, vehicles etc, so you wouldn't have to program that sort of thing in (and hense, hopefully, won't need the SP source code). :)

21. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    heh, sounds like it's all sorted. :)

22. DarthNeil

DarthNeil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2003
    Can anyone tell me what Shadows of the Empire is about.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    SOTE was a multimedia project by Lucasfilm from 1996.

The concept being that they would do a "movie without the movie" type situation. So they came up with a large storyline about the events between ESB and ROTJ, and then split the story up into three parts with overlapping elements- most went into the novel, some more went to the comic book and the rest was given to the N64 (and later PC) video game.

There was also a soundtrack released done by Joel McNeely (with some Williams stuff added in and some alien choir lyrics by Ben Burtt.), action figures and toys, micro machines and action fleet done by Hasbro, trading cards, metal cards, a making of book, hildebrant bros artwork and even a video trailer was aired at conventions for the project.

It's sort of the blueprint used as a basis for the current Clone Wars m,ultimedia project, though the Clone Wars has less synergy with it's various elements than SOTE did.

24. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Sounds nifty, even though I don't plan on getting JA.

I'm not really familiar with the JA engine (though I've played the demo), but does it allow the player to initiate branching conversations with NPCs? I prefer some NPC interaction to straight action games.

Also, do you plan on making level designs as accurate as possible, based on footage (and supplemental material) from the movies (where available)? The SOTE game's depiction of Echo Base left much to be desired.

And since you're doing a Tatooine level, maybe you could work Mat Rags in there somehow...

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > I'm not really familiar with the JA engine (though I've played the demo), but does it allow the player to initiate branching conversations with NPCs? I prefer some NPC interaction to straight action games.

No conversations as far as I'm aware, but (friendly) NPC interaction should be possible.

Also, do you plan on making level designs as accurate as possible, based on footage (and supplemental material) from the movies (where available)? The SOTE game's depiction of Echo Base left much to be desired.

I plan on utilising other's handiwork as much as possible (ie. HapSlash's models! :D) - IG-88, Fett, Snowtrooper, Vader etc. I have yet to ask other modellers if I can use their Boushh, Dash, Solo etc.

And I will cautiously approach Emon and see if he would be willing to allow his huge Hoth MP Seige map to be converted to 2 or 3 smaller SP levels.

So yes, accurate where possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.