main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Academy vs. Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedilane, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedilane

Jedilane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    Okay I'm at a point of decision. I can only get one of these two games: Jedi Academy or Knights of the Old Republic. I have a PC and haven't played a SW game in forever (except for the beta of SWG).

I'd like to know which is better. I'm sure there are fans of both, but I just need some opinions.

Pontificate at will.... :)

2. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    If you like both RPG and FPS and you're undecided, I'd advise you to go for KotOR. It's the best game I've played in years. The story is great and the characters and their development are awesome. Definitly one of the best games ever. :)

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    LucasArts and Bioware've begun handing out the excess awards they've gotten for Knights of the Old Republic for reuse as "Best Supporting Performance By An Actress Using Drindári or Romany Dialect" trophies at Bulgarian film festivals simply because they've run out of warehouses to keep them in.

That ought to tell you all you need to know right there.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, they're totally different games. If you've played any of the other SW FPS games, then this is really in the same ballpark. I wasn't overly impressed since it just wasn't that different of an experience. I didn't play the online options so I can't comment there, but in single player mode: Meh.

KOTOR is one of the best games I've ever played. It's an RPG, yes, but it has the action elements as well. It took me a bit to get used to the turn-based action, but after I got through the initial learning stage, I was hooked. The best part is the replayability. I'm on my third time and even though I know how the quests work, there are still things that are different. Give that a try, it's awesome.

5. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Knights of the Old Republic is a fantastic game, Jedi Academy is incredibly mediocre.

6. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    It depends on whether or not you want to beat the crap out of someone manually, or assign people to do it.

I have them both for my moods. :)

7. Jedilane

Jedilane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow! I really didn't expect to have such weighted opinions. It seems (unless others have their opinions made soon) that I will be purchasing KOTOR.

Which is fine, cause it looks really awesome!

Thanks yall.

8. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    First off if you really want to be able to get back into the star wras universe again. especally if you've just come off a SWG stint, i suggest KOTOR. Like everyone else said they're both great games, but KOTOR is amazing.

Also, if youre going to be getting a Jedi Knight game, i suggest Jedi Outcast. Jedi Academy is good. (i dont see how a star wars game could be bad) but the levels don't have much to do with the overall story. It just seems like you're playing through missions from all sorts fo diffret FPSs. Jedi Outcast definetally has a complete storyline and it really feels like your playing through a movie.

so MY list goes like this.

KOTOR
    Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Academy

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Jedi Academy might as well be a ******* Jedi Outcast expansion pack (and not a very good one). [face_plain] I strongly advise that you purchase KotOR.

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I think a lot of the animosity towards JA is that one is not playing as Kyle Katarn. ;) I personally liked JA, but I'd go with KOTR only because it is an RPG and RPGs are better than FPSs.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think a lot of the animosity towards JA is that one is not playing as Kyle Katarn.

Uh, no. Katarn was never my favorite character, to say the least.

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    In my opinion, Jedi Academy was simply average, no more, no less. Knights of the Old Republic freakin' rocked, and don't even get me started on how much it beats Jedi Academy...

13. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>> I think a lot of the animosity towards JA is that one is not playing as Kyle Katarn.<<<

Nah, I hate Kyle Katarn. He was kind of cool in Dark Forces. Then Jedi Knight came out and changed him into some clueless, redneck. :p I wanted to grab good old Kyle and slap that hick beard off his face. Kudo's to the Mod community for showing us how to change Kyle's skin for another. Whenever I played through JK I swapped him with the Rodian skin or the Ithorian skin

[image=http://www.jedilegacy.net/stormrunner/tech/kyle1.gif] Cool Kyle.
    [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/characters/kyle_large.gif] Grizzly Adams. :p
    Will Someone please fetch him his pickup truck and some roadhouse whiskey. :p

Go with KOTOR. Academy seems to be an uninspired action game. Only played the demo but the dual weilding looked kind of neat. I love the idea of holding one saber in your hands and useing the force to whirl the other saber about yourself.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

14. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with the Smuggler (omg!) and that bald Ewok. It's not that JA didn't have Kyle, it's that the levels were appallingly redundant. The characters were decent, but when you're running up stairs and through the same old levels beating one sith, then two sith, then the double bladed lightsaber sith...rinse, repeat...it gets BORING.

15. marzk_zelan

marzk_zelan Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2004
    Defiently Kotor.

KotOR: Pro's & Con's:

Pros:

1. Amazing Gameplay
    2. Awesome Story
    3. Great graphics
    4. Good reply value, and adventure
    5. Cool items and saber adjustments

Cons:

1. No multiplay [JA does have]
    2. When I played, there were no awesome kickass cloaks you could use throughout the game, but that may have changed

The only reason I'd buy JA over Kotor, is for multiplayer and the clan I am in.

16. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    If your PC can handle KOTOR then by all means go for it. I think that the requirements are a little high for most gamers though. That is if you want the game to run all perdy and stuff.

JA is best for multiplay I think. The game wasn't bad. I liked the added features, but as I said online play is the best part about it.

17. Darth_Blackbeard

Darth_Blackbeard Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2003
    Well, if you don't have much space on your hard drive, don't get KotoR. It takes up somthing like 4 gig for the minimum install, while JK3 only takes up 1.3 gigabytes for full install. I enjoyed KotoR much more than JK3, but it really depends on what kind of game YOU like.

The cool part of KotoR to me was the ability to send your partners to fight whomever you wanted. The jedi, Bastilla, was REALLY a pest, though. :) Other than that, I would really chose KotoR.

18. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    I didn't like Jedi Academy. I bought it (about $50) on a friday and by Monday I had played it through 3 times. It's an okay game, but not for $50 and not when I was expecting more.

GO with KOTOR.

19. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I do admit that beating it within 14 hours is pretty cheap, but the multi-play is awesome as mentioned.

Perhaps I just liked JA a lot due to the EU stuff it brought in. For once I was able to envision part of Bakura, Chandrila (okay, so it was in RS too), there was a lot of EU worlds that I got to explore a bit, and I that was fun.

20. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    yes, but wasn't bakura supposed to be a pastoral planet. i don't remember any volcanoes in Truce at Bakura.

21. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I agree with how pretty much everyone has described JA. For the most part, it's redundant, boring, the story sucks, the characters suck, the graphics are mediocre at best, and the level design is terrible. KOTOR is without a doubt at better game, granted you like turn-based combat.

However, the best aspect of JA, for me at least, is the "pick up and play" value it has. If I have some time to spare and am not interested in getting too involved in anything, I can't think of a better way to waste 10-15 minutes than rocking somebody's ass with a double-bladed lightsaber.

22. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I had the same thread a few months ago, but I wouldn't know where to look to help with the feedback within.

Seriously, so much EU material and thought went into Jedi Outcast---and KOTOR just expands that far more. The character voices are just too good. Even a mere Sith soldier patrolling the street oozes emotion. Sure, you can undress your players, something that came as a shock when I saw them after Leviathan, but it's the sheer replayability.

Like Katya said, you definitely won't discover all sections of the game during the first playthrough. If you complete the worlds in different orders, you can meet up later with different side quests that you missed out before. I really think you could play the game up to THREE times to find all elements to the fullest.

And the Force powers are more varied and easily accessible in KOTOR, than what you can get in JA. JA is is to JO what Brood Wars is to Starcraft. Get KOTOR and be amazed at the sinking depth!

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    KOTOR is a great game but if you want to switch off your brain at the end of the day, then Academy is more fun. KOTOR requires you to think, concentrate and be involved while Academy is mostly harmless, mindless action.

If you haven't played Jedi Outcast yet, it is superior in most ways over academy except for the first few levels of FP.

24. Darth-Bone

Darth-Bone Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    The depth and graphics on KNights was amazing.

buit I hate turn based games.

I don't like telling the cpu what to do and waiting - i prefer real time , thus, academy gets my vote

25. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    However, the great, honking-big distinction to bear in mind here is that the "turn" system in KotOR is so frenetic and robust and propulsive that battles are over in mere seconds, when compared to, say, your average AD&D or Ultima or Wizardry game.

*Chasms* of difference.

Final Fantasy this certainly ain't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.