main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Academy vs KOTOR Questions

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediRaanic, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRaanic

JediRaanic Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2001
    I currently own JA and I liked it a lot. If I bought KOTOR, is this an upgrade action wise? Are they similar in gameplay/style? Which has better graphics? Thanks!

2. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    They are completely different when it comes to the style of fighting. KotOR is turn based and has a lot more options. You don't just run around like in JA and swing. I'm not really sure about graphics. Both are pretty much the same. I'd say if you expect KotOR to be like JA action wise, then stay away from it. However, KotOR has a much better story and much longer gameplay which makes up for the 'lack of action.'

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    No. No. No.

The two games are totally *not* related. One is a FPS and one is an RPG. Its like almost totally impossible to compare the two since they are different genres and as such have different gameplay and graphics for their specific genre.

4. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    Although I enjoyed both games they are completely different. JA is an action game whereas KOTOR is an RPG. KOTOR IMO is far and away the better game. It allows you to create a character and then decide which Path they will follow (Light side vs Dark side). The combat systems are completely different. JA is a semi button masher wher KOTOR is somewhat turnbased. It only takes a couple of minutes to get used to the controls andonce you do the story has kicked in and you'll be addicted. The game can take over forty hours to finish and chances are you'll want to play it again, but as the opposite of the choices you made on teh first run through. Lucky for you when you finish KOTOR 2 is waiting for you. For addicts like me who are waiting KOTOR 3 life just slowly grinds away....

5. JediRaanic

Nov 23, 2001
    EDIT:
    So what other game is KOTOR like if you had to compare it to something else?

6. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    It's like alot of other RPG's(final Fanasty, Elder Scrolls:Morrowwind,etc..) but better. BioWare streamlined the combat system so it's not as turnbased as those games. When you are put in aposition in which you have to fight the game pauses and you have a combat queue where you enter what actions you want your player and members of your party (there's something I left out in the first post you have 10 companions who you meet along the way) to make. an example: you might have your character use force push to throw down your opponent while one of your party members opens fire on him, and another heals you. Trust me when I say there is reason this was game of the year and won 45 awards. IT'S THAT GOOD! I've rarely met somone who didn't love it.

7. JediRaanic

Nov 23, 2001
    Alright thanks...I will be buy it then.

8. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I hate RPG's and thought KOTOR was kinda lame at first but then I got addicted extremely fast. That game is incredible. I love it now.

9. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'll go ahead and lay the law down.

Jedi Academy is a good game, better than Jedi Outcast if you ask me. However in terms of overall experience, KOTOR is the better game and here is why.

KOTOR's story is in my mind, one of the better Star Wars videogame stories every told. Yes it may be the typical "A Sith is trying to rule the galaxy and now you must stop him" type story, but its much more deeper than that. The characters also add to a higher depth to the game. Not in terms of their presence but in the idea that you can interact with them on so many levels and really get to know them. The locations are just beautiful and breath taking. The Unknown world has to be one of the beautiful places ever created for a Star Wars game on many levels. Korriban in KOTOR is much more darker and sinister than the Korriban in JA. Exploring Datooine so so smooth and romantic and you really get a sence of comfort and wealth here.

The music in KOTOR is far better than the musical experience in JA. I say musical experience because thats what it is in KOTOR....and experience. Not to bash the JA John Williams music, but however that gets old and is in almost all SW games today. The music in KOTOR really adds to the overall mood, tone, and atmosphere of the enviornments, characters, and story.

The length of the game is also a plus for KOTOR. JA can be completed within 2-3 days whereas KOTOR is a bit more longer.

Jedi Academy is a good game, however KOTOR has to be one of the better Star Wars games of all time. It has the story, items, locations, characters, muscial score, visuals, great voice acting, and just creates a well rounded Jedi experience.

10. yugi3045

yugi3045 Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2005
    I, too was wondering what the differences were in these games. I own Jedi Academy, and it does get a bit bored after a bit. Normally, I just SPEED and hack my opponents. At first I didn't know what you guys meant by "turn-based", as I mostly play GBA games. But the KOTORs sound a lot like Golden Sun I and II. Has any one else played GS? Am I making the right assumption?

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I assume Golden Sun, being a Japanese RPG, has turn-based party combat in which you select an action, it's done, the opposition select an action, that happens, then another party member, etc (Final Fantasy style).

KOTOR is sort of like that under the hood, but it's been streamlined so that it's much less rigid. Have you ever played Baldur's Gate (PC, not console versions)? It's like that.

Basically, you simply select the action you want to do, then the target and your character does it, for example, attack, use force power etc. You don't have to actually swing the sword or point a gun or anything. All automatic. The game is split up into 'rounds', and each action takes one round.

12. yugi3045

yugi3045 Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2005
    Golden Sun isn't exactly like that. You have up to four members in your party, and you select who does what, on what opponent. Then they execute the attacks, in order of their speed, including the enemies. Does that make sense? And I've hardly played any PC games, I mostly stick to GBA. But I think Unreal Tornament and Jedi Academy changed that.

13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Jedi Academy would be the greatest if it would be possible to have party members.

14. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    KotOR has a better story and customization, but the action is better for Jedi Academy,in my opinion.

15. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Force powers are manifester better in the Jedi Academy. The only spectacular power in KOTOR is Force whirlwind, while JA has 'beautiful' Force chockes, lightning, even amazing Force-jumps.

16. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    The action is more instanaous in JA, but I the selection of Force powers you have in KOTOR is far greater.

17. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Wow, this sounds like me two summers ago. Its two totalyl different games but defineitly buy it.

18. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    -- In terms of story, KOTOR 2 is better.

-- Replay-value, even though KOTOR 2 has it, JA is better.

-- Music, KOTOR 2 is better in this department. John Williams SW tunes gets old at times.

-- Characters, KOTOR 2

-- Enviornments, KOTOR 2

-- Force Power usage, KOTOR 2. Its more in-depth and strategic.

-- Length, definatly KOTOR 2.

-- Difficulty, JA. KOTOR 2 can be hard at times, but in general its pretty simple.

19. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    The gameplay is totally different between the two games that you really can't compare them as far as gameplay is concerned.

As far as hardware, you will need a faster computer to play KOTOR than for JA (although what kind of hardware you will need really depends on how much quality you want in your graphics).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.