main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Acadeny vs. Jedi Outcast

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by cleveland1000, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    now guys i bring this up because JA seems to have gotton better reviews and i have to say what the hell?! i mean come on Outcast had a story that was 10 no 20 times better not to mention tons harder better graphics and better final battle (although neither game tops the final battle of the original jedi knight)

2. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    TIE Fighter wins.

3. PrelateZeratual

PrelateZeratual Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    Jedi Academy has the variety in moves, and light sabres and sabre colors in SINGLE PLAYER without having to cheat. Two once you start DLing mods and such, you can expand the number of species in single player, and in multiplayer the maps in my opinion are so much better than in Jedi Outcast

4. FiEND_138

FiEND_138 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2004
    I agree with the original poster. JA's story was just too awful, to really hold my interest. The new sabers, while cool, were IMO available to the player too late in the game. The MP side feels too 'dumbed-down' for me, 'hold these 2 keys at the same time & swing'..meh. The 'new' moves IE; katas are IMO nothing but eye candy, with no real tactical use to them if you or the person your fighting has any idea what their doing..

5. AnaKanned_Food

AnaKanned_Food Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 20, 2003
    The voice acting in Jedi Academy made me shudder. The Voice Acting in Outcast was much better. I very much prefer Outcast over Academy because of the focus on a small number of worlds as opposed to a gigantic numberthat we saw in the latter.

EDIT: The ending of JA was waaaay too random for me....

6. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    JK winz both for being teh much bigger and teh much more interesting game of interest, despite being the most limited with it comez to teh lightsaber pr0 moves.
    Also teh acting, locales, scale and massive locations are reminiscent of any Star warz film.

7. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I really liked them both but JA gets the edge just because I could create my own Jedi.

8. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Jedi Academy > Jedi Outcast

9. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Oustcast all the way, i was pissed off i couldn't play as Kyle in JA.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I agree that the story in JA was lame. JO's story was awesome. Or at least way better told.

Some Missions in JA were annoying, too.

Other than that I kinda liked them equally. The swoop race was a cool touch. Tatooine is always nice (I love Jawas) and the choice of lightsaber and player model provided a bit of variety (if barely more than cosmetic).

11. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The story was better in JO, but the gameplay and multiplayer is better in JA.

12. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    ^^^What he said, Outcast would work better as a film and acadmey better as a game

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Jedi Academy could easily have been a Jedi Outcast expansion pack. Though JA may be better than JO, it was too much like its predecessor and seemed too much like a quick cash-in for me to like it.

14. darthmaul3162

darthmaul3162 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Jedi Outcast all the way Jedi acadamey was way to easy to beat even on jedi master. Now jedi outcast was a lot harder to beat on Jedi Master

15. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I havent played either one yet, but I dont like the idea of nt playing as Kyle in JA

16. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I enjoyed both games, but Jedi Outcast is a far superior game. It's storyline, while not completely original, is still very creative and interesting. The plotline of Academy was pretty weak, IMO. Essentially it was just Jedi Outcast: Part II, with a bunch of missions that didn't really add to a consistent storyline. The ending of Academy was one of the worst game endings I've experienced. It was underwhelming, random, and too easy. However, a great postive of Academy is all those special moves you can perform, and choosing your lightsaber design was fantastic.

I think Outcast had a better atmosphere as well, and simply playing as Kyle Katarn is the best positive. He's one of my favorite characters. The ending was also much more satisfying. And although Outcast is my overall favorite of the series, I think Dark Forces II had the best atmosphere and storyline.

But if there's one thing I truly hate about both games is the way they have Luke Skywalker act. I understand it's only a video game and characterizations won't be perfect for side characters, but Luke Skywalker is such an awesome character and in both games they make him act like a deer caught in headlights.

My rating:
    Dark Forces II: 8 out of 10
    Jedi Outcast: 10 out of 10 (one of my favorite and most played games)
    Jedi Academy: 7 out of 10

17. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Teh crazy fox and the crazy pom win. I am partial to agreement with these two fine chaps.

18. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    jedi outcast has a better storyline , but jedi academy has better fighting . there almost the same game , with minor adjustments .

19. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    But if there's one thing I truly hate about both games is the way they have Luke Skywalker act. I understand it's only a video game and characterizations won't be perfect for side characters, but Luke Skywalker is such an awesome character and in both games they make him act like a deer caught in headlights

I dissagree. I thought they did Very well in JO. I loved how at one point your figting your way onto a ship and you find out Luke is already there whopping Dark Jedi butt.

Luke is really low key but he showed he could open it up with the best of them.

20. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    How long has it been since you people stood up from behind your computer walked to the sofa and sat down and watched Star Wars? Luke is a weeny. He never beat anyone in the movies. Darth Vader choped his arm off. He got his arse kicked by Sideous and only survived due to Vader. :p

On a serious note, I thought the dark jedi in JO was kinda cool, but my god I got sick of them in JA. A new plot would have been nice. Both pleasing on the eye and the new sabers and saber moves were cool for a while. JO was and is always going to be the "wow" of the Seriers due to the graphics step up from JK and the moves but JK is the clincher for the best and JA was just an excuse to make another few dollars on peoples hopes of another step up... but it didn't deliver the "wow" that JO did. Much like the Matrix movie, the second was very average because the first was *so* new and different.

edit = oh, and this topic has been discussed previously. Someone hook us up the redundant. :p

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Jedi Outcast for sure!

Why?

-Excellent graphics
    -Great dialogue
    Calrissian was in it, voiced by the actor himself
    -The Lady luck was the first time many people may have seen the ship
    -Commendable plot, even if the fact the Reborn foes stretch all bounds of credulity
    -Cool cutscenes
    -Fighting beside Skywalker was a nice touch; watching his brief duel with Desann even better

So what if you can customise your character? KOTOR does that too, and far better. It's really no big deal. While I haven't played Jedi Academy . . .

Jedi Academy is what Majora's Mask is: a cheap, easy to make, copy cat of Ocarina of Time. Too much imitation, and not enough new material.

-It's plot is a farce
    -Aren't you utterly fed up with yet more Tatooine?
    -The same Reborn foes

22. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Outcast for me. Whenever I play Academy, it just seems things don't move fluidly at all! Outcast has much more fluid rolling - running - combos. It flows better.

Outcast for the win.

¤Night

23. Talonah

Talonah Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    I like both of them!

But I can't play with two sabers in JK2, so I prefer JK3.

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Now, if DF2:JK was remade using the Q3 engine -- and without the godawfully-acted live-action with cg cutscenes -- you can bet your tushas which game in the series would be the best!

Jedi Outcast is better but only visually, and yes, it definitely has a better story than Academy. But the Reborn do stretch suspense of disbelief a bit much. And Desaan...well, never let it be said that an overgrown lizard doesn't make a good villain. But still, I think he was meh, especially considering how easy he can be beaten comparing his boss fight with Jerec's.

Jedi Academy's story and execution is considerably weaker. I think the RPG element of choosing your character's species and gender was just a cheap attempt to try to sell the game to those wowed by KOTOR. And quite frankly, that bit was a bit distracting and jarring. The only good things about the game were the special moves (which unfortunately are easily exploitable) and the additional saber handles and stances -- a cosmetic touch that appeals more to the multiplayer side of the game. Which is why JA is and has always been in my opinion nothing more than a glorified, official Raven JO multiplayer mod.

25. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    ya know i do kinda wish well i have for awhile ever since i played in the multi player jo arena that was taken from the original jedi knight that they should remake the game with now days graphics i mean come on just think about how awesome it would be...plus lucas arts could make a pretty penny and they couldnt screw it up because they would just have to clean up the graphics and make the movies 3d rather than well acted out.
    but anyways i would say the best part about ja was the way it looked when you healed ya know.
    and also df2:jk was the most relistic as in well how did tavion and lizard face (forgot the spelling) get so many followers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.