main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Acadeny vs. Jedi Outcast

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by cleveland1000, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2002
    Jedi Academy is what Majora's Mask is: a cheap, easy to make, copy cat of Ocarina of Time. Too much imitation, and not enough new material.

You're comparing JA to Majora's Mask?! JA was a piece of crap. MM was incredible, almost as great as OoT. The ending especially.

And also, I don't know where JA got higher scores than JO, the websites I've looked at rate otherwise. JO was a better game.

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I dissagree. I thought they did Very well in JO. I loved how at one point your figting your way onto a ship and you find out Luke is already there whopping Dark Jedi butt.

Whoa, i don't know what Luke Skywalker you were fighting next to, but the guy i was fighting beside had trouble handling two stormtroopers!

It actually got annoying, just how often Luke would DIE at the hands of Stormtroopers while i'm sitting here taking on 2 reborn!

Oh and Majora's Mask stank..I think i hated that game almost as much as i LOVED "Ocarina of Time"..

As far as the topic goes:

I think "Jedi Outcast" is the more fulfilling gaming experience, but i had more fun playing "Jedi Academy", if that makes sense..

Outcast DID have Billy Dee going for it, though..

3. General_Jade

General_Jade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2004
    Since both almost use a similer game engine. I would favor Jedi Academy due enpart of the improved sabers. No longer would I have to worry about freindly saber stabs (IE you just poke someone with the saber w/o hitting the fire button)

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    When I compared Jedi Outcast to Jedi Academy, I meant it inthe sense that Majora's Mask was a cheap copycat of its predecessor, Ocarina of Time. Yes, people now playing new roles was fun, and the map was way bigger, but how much can you explore a map? And it had four main dungeons; OOT had a whopping nine.

What I'm saying is that Academy's enemies borrowed heavily from Outcast; and while there's nothing really wrong with that, it doesn't hurt to get creative.

How many times over a dozen years have game players heard those same bloody endless SW tunes? Played the same locations fromthe same three movies? KOTOR is a blast of fresh air for finally giving us new and outstand music.

I liked that about Outcast---it's storyline had touches of the past---the Valley---but was new enough to leave you guessing. Academy, on the other leg, you already know your characters, locales, it's been there done that.

5. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    and then the lightside ending to JA was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cheesy.

6. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    agreed^^

Other than story I thought Academy was a big improvement over Outcast with the fact that you start out with a saber, get different sabers, vehicles, new force effects,variety, etc. The one thing that I thought was stupid was that they brought Tavion back in JA, I mean come on Raven! Come up with a new enemy than bring back one that wasnt that great or deep to began with...

7. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I personally like both of the games. I think JA is a bit better, but will still play both.

8. cleveland1000

Mar 15, 2004
    now seriously they need to make a game like jedi knight again. ya know where you had 7 boss dark jedi (more like 5 yun and pic used lightside powers) and then maybe have some mini bosses that are dark jedi.

9. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Outcast. I was into the multiplayer more, as it was actually balanced and not just this big lightsabre fling fest where you walk into a crowd and do a simple command hope you kill someone.

And Academy kept getting windows error messages for me as I played single player. I swear I have played the first two chapters of the game three dozen times, but I've never gotten past the Vjun levels because I become tired of going back and having to reload the game after each error message, and then I'll reformat or lose my saved game and . . . gah.

Academy was not a bad game though, I just have so many better memories associated with Outcast. God, I can't believe that was my first real online first person shooter addiction.

10. Darth_SaberTooth

Darth_SaberTooth Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Outcast rocks, awesome story and awesome mp.

Academy get's really annoying in SP, so much reborns.....
    and its MP is weak, everyone still use single blade jump and cut-down, the slow-mo with doublie bladed and twin-bladed sabers are useless!

11. cleveland1000

Mar 15, 2004
    and then the character designs. *shakes head* why not just dress them all in black jedi robes like in KOTOR. and then the voices i swear aside from kyle and luke every other guy was played by the same guy and then all the girls were voiced by the same chick.

12. Carl_Jones

Carl_Jones Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2004
    very true cleveland1000

also, i hated:

for twileks, only female

for zabrak, only females

i wanted to make a bad ass twilek darksider, and a darth maul zabrak dark jedi.

teh lightsaber hilts was a nice addition

and yes, teh damn reborns do get annoying! [face_frustrated]

[]=====#[]<---------------- C_J! ----------------  

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > i wanted to make a bad ass twilek darksider, and a darth maul zabrak dark jedi.

That's what mods are for.

14. Carl_Jones

May 15, 2004
    holy crap im an idiot! lol

but are mods available for xbox?

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well... no.

16. Carl_Jones

May 15, 2004
    [voice=stue]Damn![/stue]

17. PrelateZeratual

PrelateZeratual Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    if you get the PC version there are over three hundred mods that you can get, including species mods and clothing modifications that totally rock, including the addition of jedi robes. I even have a mod that allows me to use battle droids and droidekas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.