main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi and Phyiscal Fitness

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MikeSolo, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I was wondering if staying in good physical shape was mandatory or optional ? for a Jedi Knight or Master in either the Old order of New.

From the looks of most Jedi they do seem in pretty good shape but never know if you could use the force to help you not gain any weight.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I would imagine that it's encouraged, although the force probably doesn't play an active role in that. They lead a pretty spartan life, which probably helps that.

3. CharlieHickok-

CharlieHickok- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2003
    I'm not sure, but I think Yoda said something about that in ESB novelization.

4. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    In the Old Order, they probably kept fit through a combination of

1) Regular exercise (most missions involved them doing fairly physical stuff)
    2) Spartan living (I can't see them eating big meals)

New Order, same reasons, but they have more of an opportunity to pig out* as they all don't bunk down in a temple.

* Especially the wealthy ones, like the Skywalkers and Solos.

EDIT: There have, however, been Jedi that have been a little..."festively plump".

Micah Giett was certainly stacking on the pounds, and he was a member of the Council. (Until he died of a non-food related incident, and was succeeded by the fitter Ki-Adi-Mundi).

5. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Check out Luke and Winter's conversation in chapter 4 of Dark Force Rising.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Jedi were expected to keep in good physical shape, becuase they needed to be in tune with their bodies as well as the Force.

7. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Yeah, it's like Mara's lessons to Anakin on Dantooine. Hell yeah, you can use the Force to do everything if you want, you could pick yourself up like a puppet and then you might never have to move again. But what the frell are you going to do when you need it? I think the OJO also viewed overuse of the Force very sternly.

"Master Obi-Wan would be very grumpy if he caught me doing this." - Anakin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.