main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jedi and sex in the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EmeraldBlade, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    You know, it's discussions like this that make me wish AOTC went for a PG-13 rating. I think the whole love story would have worked much better if Lucas didn't have to skirt around certain issues.

2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I am certainly not going to feel bad for "name-calling" a fictional character. And BTW, Anakin in AOTC is a punk, disrespectful, a mass murderer and a psychopath so my description was accurate.

but my point is that these traits lend to the utter implausibility of the love, romance and marriage of Padme and Anakin after 3 days. It's just more of the lack of logic in the story of AOTC.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Again, that is only your opinion, it is not a statement of fact. Some of us disagree with you.

And my point wasn't that you should "feel bad", but I do have to ask what you were hoping to discuss here, or what kind of response you were expecting to get.

Such rants have one purpose: to close down discussion. The only possible responses to it are "Here here! Rah rah rah!" or "No he's not!" Which is why I asked what your intent was in making such a post. Did you actually want to discuss something, or did you want to rant? Or, in repeating your name-calling tirade, did you intend to bait those of us who disagree with you?

The argument that factually the love story doesn't work because you, personally, dislike Anakin and don't understand how Padme could have fallen in love with him, isn't really a valid argument.

It only means that for you and for others who don't like Anakin, the love story doesn't work.

And where does the "3 days" come from? Time frames are pretty ambiguous in Star Wars movies.

4. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    1. Punk -- He questions Obi Wan and contradicts him in front of others. He talks behind Obi Wan's back dissing him repeatedly.

2. Disrespectful -- See No. 1.

3. Murderer -- He slaughtered the Sand People.

4. Psychopath -- Definition: "a personality disorder characterized by the inability to form human attachment[3] and an abnormal lack of empathy, masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal." Anakin relishes that fact that he killed women and children. A clear overreaction of pure revenge and bloodlust. So he meets the definition.

All facts.

but again, the purpose of me bringing this up was to highlight how implausible the romance is. Not to "close discussion." Having made thousands and thousands of posts in this forum, I believe it well established that I enjoy discussion and debate. Instead of presuming to know my motives, why not actually address the points I'm making and defend these poorly made films?

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, they are not "all facts." In your opinion, Anakin fits those descriptions. In mine, he does not.

You threw out your own personal definition of "punk" as well as your personal definition of disrespect. I'm not even addressing #3 beyond wondering what label you give to the Sand People who tortured an innocent woman to death. And Anakin "unable to form attachments" makes me laugh. If you think he "relished" killing the women and children, we were watching very different movies.

Therefore, while that may be the dictionary definition of "psychopath," "he meets the definition" is your opinion, not a statement of fact.

But you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't assume that it trumps mine or that of any of the rest of us who disagree with you.

Again, in your opinion. How exactly are people supposed to respond to that? "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" That's not discussion, that's a ping-pong match.

I addressed some of that in the YouTube video thread, but I'll ask here, what would be the point in that?

The prequel-bashing threads have been going on for years--has anyone who dislikes them, actually read a post and changed his or her mind, decided that he or she likes the films after all? Would you, personally, change your mind based on anything I posted, or would you just tell me that my opinion is "wrong"?

My personal experience has been that posts such as "These films suck! How could anyone possibly like them?" or "Anakin was a [Insert Insult of the Day here] and how could Padme have possibly liked him?" is usually not followed by productive discussion between open-minded parties. It's usually followed by at least one person trying to prove that his or her opinion is the "right" one, that anyone who disagrees is "wrong", and is sometimes followed by indication that people who disagree must have "no taste" or some other character flaw. (Thankfully this discussion hasn't gone there, but if you want to know why people are not "defending" these so-called "poorly made" films, there's part of your answer.)

Can we really not accept that some people liked the films, some people did not--and that both stances are perfectly OK? Nobody has to be "right" or "wrong."

6. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Do you need a definition of "punk" or "disrespect"? I thought those were self-explanatory. Why don't you define them. I'm sure whatever definition you look up, Anakin's behavior will meet it. That is not "opinion." We know what Anakin did in the films. It's not subjective as to whether he killed innoncents or interruped and was rude to Obi Wan. Or talked behind Obi Wan's back. Those are facts from the film. And how the Sand People acted is irrelevant to his reaction to slaughter an entire village. And then relish in it.

See, but I'm not saying, "it's implausible" and leaving it at that. I am giving reasons, from the film, for why it's implausible. That IS a discussion. That is an actual argument.

This is all very interesting, considering YOU are the one who responded to my posts (in multiple threads). Can't you accept my stance? I'm not sure why this last part was directed at me. Lol.

7. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    If you feel Anakin is a "worthless person" (a punk) that is your prerogative. Not all of us agree. I agree that he's disrespectful, however, it's a two way street. Those he disrespects, such as Obi-Wan, can engage in similar behavior at times (telling Anakin he will "learn his place" and talking about him behind his back). I would venture to say, though, that Anakin and Obi-Wan aren't trying to be disrespectful -- they just don't know how to communicate. Their first scene with Padme is a prime example. Here, Anakin's just trying to impress Padme, but he crosses his Master and tries to placate him while keeping his pride intact. Obi-Wan takes it as disrespect, but I've always seen it as Anakin just trying to save face after having been caught in a mistake. Not that surprising, considering he's sitting across from a girl he's crushing on.

As to #3, by ROTS, definitely. But in AOTC, the issue is more obscure. Because Anakin's crime fits the definition of voluntary manslaughter far better than murder. He's certainly a killer, if that's what you were getting at, but his status as a murderer (legally) is foggy.

I don't really understand how you can believe #4, though. Right there in your definition it states that psychopaths cannot form attachments to others. Yet that's exactly Anakin's greatest weakness -- he's almost pathologically attached to people he loves, like Padme and his mother. And it's perplexing that you say that he relished killing women and children. When Padme asks him, "what's wrong," he doesn't say that his mother died. What's wrong is that he killed the entire tribe and he's disappointed, angry, guilty, and ashamed. He even breaks down crying. There's little evidence that Anakin took pride in his actions.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no problem whatsoever with your stance on the films. You are certainly entitled to dislike the prequels.

What I have addressed in multiple threads is the notion that you have put forth that your personal opinion constitutes absolute fact. And you are by far not the only one doing so, there is quite a bit of that going on in the YouTube video thread. It seems to be common among a segment of people who dislike the prequels--stating that some opinions are "wrong," and that their personal opinions are absolute fact. Hence my statement, put in this thread based on your post that your personal assessment of Anakin constitutes the only "factual" assessment of the character.

Maybe those of us who dislike RLM and like the prequels have made statements that our opinions on the films or the characters are completely factual, and I've somehow missed it. I've seen that much more from the other side though.

Back on topic:

From the Jedi Code entry on Wookieepedia:

Jedi do not marry (with some exceptions), in order to avoid attachment and?according to Vergere?so as not to create dynasties of those strong in the Force. However, in many periods of the Order's history, such as the era prior to Exar Kun and in Luke Skywalker's reformed Jedi Order, marriage was not forbidden. That being said, celibacy was enforced in many periods of the Order's history.

No info on whether it was enforced at the time of the prequels, and I stand by my position that the Council probably looked the other way at violations to that mandate, as long as only casual sex was happening and the Jedi did not get attached.

Jedi Code

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    GL did say the Jedi are not celibate.

10. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001

Well #3 and 4 feed into each other. To really qualify for voluntary manslaughter you'd have to be classified as insane so again, it makes Ani into a psycho. But all of this is not about what specfic crime Ani committed -- it's about the implausbility of Amidala not only breaking her vow not to date anyone, but actually agreeing to

11. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    No, voluntary manslaughter is simply defined as: the killing of a human being in which the offender had no prior intent to kill and acted during "the heat of passion", under circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed.

There's little evidence that Anakin entered the Tusken camp with the intent to kill. Considering he sneaks around instead of directly confronting the Tuskens, I'd say he was primarily motivated by a desire to rescue his mother. And his act certainly occurred in the "heat of passion" when anyone could become "emotionally or mentally disturbed." Finding your mother tortured to death (to say nothing of a ten year separation, a month of horrifying visions, and a description of her abductors as "monsters") would disturb anyone, I think you'd agree.

Provocation is considered sufficient if it would cause a reasonable person to lose self-control. I think finding a loved on tortured to death meets that criteria. One example that is commonly given is if a man/woman comes home and sees their spouse in bed with a stranger. If they kill their spouse and the lover in the heat of the moment, then it is voluntary manslaughter. Considering what happened to Anakin was considerably worse, he definitely falls into the realm of suitable provocation.

Being charged with this, instead of murder, does not depend upon a past history of mental instability. You don't necessarily have to have a psychological problem or a mental disability to qualify for voluntary manslaughter instead of murder. You just have to be a normal person pushed beyond your emotional limits.

A psychopath does not need any impetus to commit crimes. They simply do not understand morality and thus would not break down crying, as Anakin does, after contemplating their actions. The clinical term you're looking for is "sociopath." Sociopaths/psychopaths cannot form human attachment and do not have empathy. Anakin certainly does have deep attachments and he likewise feels guilt over his actions (his tears on Mustafar are another example of this). So he doesn't meet the definition in the slightest.

As for Amidala, remember that she only saw the aftermath of the attack -- of Anakin in pain, ashamed, and guilty of what he had done. She has also been steadily falling in love with him (after the fireplace scene, note that she is the one to initiate all the contact). There's also an element to her character that parallels Luke's: she believes in people and hopes in the best for them. Even after what the Trade Federation did to her planet, she is still willing to negotiate with the Separatists to end the war. I don't find it difficult to believe that she would want to "heal" Anakin (as she tries to fix the Republic) considering that he, as a little boy, saved her planet and saved her own life not too long ago. And having fallen in love with him, I can see her convincing herself that standing by him as his wife, especially in a time of war, would be the best thing to help.

12. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The no attachment rule is just a poor plot device and it gets completely undercut by the fact that Jedi can bang whomever they want.

13. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    It's just Lucas' way of "having his cake and eating it too", when it comes to the Jedi and their 'personal lives'.

14. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, I know.

But it just irks me how irrelevant it is to the story, even if the Jedi knew about his relationship with Padme the advice would still be the same from Yoda. Yes, he could tell Obi-Wan...but really how much help would he be?

15. JonYo

JonYo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2004

While the above statement is absolutely awesome and hilarious on it's own, the "bang whomever they want" thing is something you are personally reading into the story as presented in the films. It's not implied, and if that's what you read into it, that's your take on it, fair enough, but...really? I'll give you the poor plot device, sure, but it's better than trade blockades and auto-piloted starfighters.

16. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    It is not me reading into the story, this is coming straight from GL's mouth.

He has said Jedi aren't celibate.

17. JonYo

Apr 1, 2004
    That makes it EU at best. I stand by what I said.

18. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    No, it doesn't.

If it comes from Lucas mouth, it is G-Canon.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Lucas' own statements are non-canonical now? :confused:

20. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    When they cause a person to go like this: :oops:.....then, yeah. :p

21. JonYo

Apr 1, 2004
    All I'm saying is that there's a distinct difference between the information that can be construed from the six films on their own, and "G-canon" references/addendums/commentary/etc that require the audience to seek information from ANY source other than the actual films themselves. EU, canon of any type or not, don't remember the part in the films where George Lucas, all flannel and silver-bearded, shows up to give the Jedi council a sexual ethics seminar.

Now...the EU, G-canon stuff is all well and good, I'm no EU-basher, PT-hater or anything. Just trying to make my point clear - Jedi sex is a non-issue IN THE FILMS. The importance of Anakin and Padme's relationship AS PORTRAYED IN THE FILMS is based purely on attachment. Emotional attachment - not physical. ;) Sex is implied, but never once mentioned - that is technically how you get Skywalker babies after all (unless you're Shmi, allegedly, but that's...that's a whole other discussion). IF GL had felt like going down that slippery slope (ah, the puns...) he would have done so. I think it would have maybe gone simething like this...

There would have been an awkward Ani/Padme sex scene with quick cuts, strategically placed robot hands, bad lighting, soft focus, and maybe even a Bith smooth jazz slowjam for effect. Okay, DEFINITELY a Bith slowjam. Obi-Wan would try to call Anakin on his comlink just as the camera ALMOST gets a glimpse of some senatorial side-boob, and Ani would half-heartedly click it off (but accidentally put it on speaker mode instead), mumbling something inane and poorly scripted, like "Master Obi-Wan is like that sand I was whining about..." and get back to work, and then we'd cut to Obi-Wan listening to disturbing zoo noises for 2 more seconds before ending the transmission, the look on his face a combination of disgust, pride, and jealousy.

Holy crap, did I just write slash fiction??? I feel weird now.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah, slash fiction would have involved Anakin and Obi-Wan in that bed and Padme calling Anakin on the comlink. ;)

As far as the issue in the films being attachment, not sex--of course. But in analyzing the attachment philosophy, I do think it makes a difference if Lucas himself says that the Jedi are not intended to be celibate. It's the difference between the Jedi being intended as monks, or the Jedi being allowed to have all the casual sex they want. Both have problems: the problem with the former is that Jedi are taken into the Order as tiny infants, and I think a life of celibacy (and all the other Jedi requirements) should be a choice made by an adult with full knowledge of the type of life into which he or she is entering. The problem with the latter is that some people might go into a sexual relationship intending that it be casual and for reasons they can't help, end up getting attached to the person anyway.

But I always like to reach beyond the films, because 12 hours worth of material (6 hours in the prequels) is not nearly enough to cover all the complex issues presented in this saga. I'll only reject an EU or other source if it directly contradicts the films.

23. JonYo

Apr 1, 2004
    That's fine, I totally agree with you there, but this...

is the statement I've been talking about. A plot device in the films cannot be undercut, embellished, or negated by things that don't occur in the films. That's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.