Jedi and sex

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Sidious143, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. Duguay Force Ghost

star 2
    There are some interesting comments on this thread, and the discussion has been predominantly a mature one. Here are a few of my thoughts.

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power--OB-1, ANH.

Life creates it, makes it grow--Yoda, ESB.

This tells me that the Jedi have a vested interest in the continuation of life, which is not possible if you forbid an important step in the life cycle. If the Jedi are not participating in the perpetuation of life, and living things, they are making no contribution to the Force.

The key is to go about it responsibly. Forbidding sex offhand just isn't the right way to go about it, it will create a problem. By forbidding it, there is the chance that some will find alternatives that are unhealthy.

The Jedi Order is made up of living beings. Since members of the Jedi Order are expected to live up to a high standard, and I believe that they are for the most part successful. Why would it not be a good idea to bring into being offspring that originates from the galaxies finest?

Take this arguement in a more down-to-earth setting. If a human being is of such strong moral character, in a close relationship with God, isn't it a good idea to introduce into the population offspring who are likely to be similarly inclined? Wouldn't God approve of offspring of such genetic stock, in the interests of bringing more of the population into a spiritual relationship with him?

So I believe they are allowed to, furthermore, I think that the Order would have teachings regarding how to go about it in a responsible manner.

Finally, if George Lucas has said they are able to, then that settles that question for me.
  2. Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think it depends on what Jedi Order your talking about,Old Republic or New Republic.
  3. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    KitFisto7BA: Given that this is a film forum, we try to only discuss the films in the Saga. EU can be offered as an option, not strictly the only explanation.

So we're talking predominantly about the Republic before the Empire.

:)
  4. Yvan_Solo Jedi Knight

I think Jedi are forbidden to have sex, however in practice there are some Jedi who go against that rule.

There have always been priests who had affairs throughout the whole history of the Catholic Church, so I think it wouldn't be different in the Jedi Order.

Also, they made exceptions in certain rare cases such as Ki-Adi Mundi, who was the only heir to a noble family.

5. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yvan_Solo: Didn't GL say something about the Jedi Order NOT being a celibate order :confused: (I think I heard many people saying it, but I'm not sure.) I thought they were simply encouraged not to love - but that sex is OKAY....

Aunecah
  6. Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sorry Darth Attorney,I didn't know,I'm new to this forum.
  7. Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Knight

star 3
    hmm,i don't know whether to say they can or can't.Do they have condoms and birth control pills in the Star Wars universe?
  8. plutoneam Jedi Knight

star 3
    "Do they have condoms and birth control pills in the Star Wars universe? "

I should think so.
  9. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I used to think it was forbidden but GL has said that they are allowed to have sex, so I was wrong

But I do think that despite being allowed to have sex, Jedi are forbidden from growing an attachment to their mate and I would assume they only allow sex for reproductive purposes. It would seem likely to me that they are not allowed to go out and sleep around as that would be giving into desires that they are supposed to control

I would guess that they have concubines (sp?) of some kind. Where they simply have them to make children with and nothing more

I could be wrong but I think that would seem like the Jedi way to handle it, no attachment but you get jedi offspring as well
  10. DarthLeia Jedi Master

star 1
    Why use lover instead of wife on the Star Wars web site?
    I can see Obi-Wan asking Padme who the father is, her telling him all the while thinking 'if I tell Anakin and I are married Anakin will get kicked out of the Jedi order, better let him think we are just lovers.'
    Think of it as being written from Obi-Wan's point of view. Maybe he didn't know they were married.
    Just a thought.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.